Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 147549 times)

Mikie, Grunder, Takashi and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1180 on: August 19, 2019, 08:51:17 pm »
@Sardine i can't find your post re where/who you going to fly for.

Locals always just think of 43 Air school, Port Alfred.

Hi Solo,
I will be with Absolute Aviation, doing client transfers.

Shout if you're in Grahamstown :)

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1181 on: September 06, 2019, 06:22:09 am »
On 22 August, with my car packed to the roof and a bicycle hanging off the back, I said bye to my family and hit the road for a rustig drive along Clarens Drive, first stop, the Dassiesfontein Farmstall for breakfast.

It was a beautiful sunrise and drive along the coast, and I was looking forward to seeing all of the canola fields. Unfortunately, as I swung inland, the low cloud had different ideas, and all I could see was about 1km ahead. Oh well, still a nice drive. It took over an hour to get to Dassiesfontein, and I was looking forward to a strong coffee and brekkie (they came highly recommended from a friend). But, all the breakfast options were huge and I wasn't that hungry. So I settled for coffee and a bacon and egg sandwich. While the bread was delicious, it wasn't worth R60.

Oh well, at least I was fueled. So I got back on the N2 and carried on east, Scrat (the teddy bear version) perched on a stack of pillows on the passenger seat in the hopes it would deter people from asking for a lift. I didn't see that many in the end.
The N2 is such a nice road, far better than the N1.

In my original planning, I completely misjudged my distances. I had planned on breakfast at Dassiesfontein, early lunch at Ou Meul in RIviersonderend, roosterkoek at Rolandale near Swellendam, and maybe a coffee at The Blue Crane Farmstall...
You can see my problem I'm sure... they are within one hour of one another.

So I skipped Ou Meul, but fortunately decided to take my sister's advice and stop in at Rolandale.
What a lekker little spot! Definitely a great place to stretch your legs, especially if you have kids as they have a huge play area. I got myself a bacon, egg and jam roosterkoek and some moer koffie. Or at least I thought it was, until recently.

As it was still early I forced myself to wait before eating, and set off once again. I was undecided about popping in to The Blue Crane as I am a sucker for biscuits, but fortunately fate had made the decision for me- they were closed. So I pulled in to the parking lot and ate my roosterkoek instead. O.M.G. Delicious. And massive. The actual roosterkoek could've been a touch crispier, but I had bacon, egg and jam, so who cares! Yum!
I will be back!

I was going to meet a friend for coffee in Mossel Bay, but he was busy, so I arranged to meet another friend at George. I went past the airport, keeping an eye out for the PC-12 (it wasn't there), and then pulled in to Red Berry Farm. Swak, if I had known about this place I would've walked there instead of sitting in the airport Wimpy every other day.

Oh well, my friend and I caught up and I then I set off for the final leg of my journey for Day 1. Destination Kynsyna. Via Buffelsbay (my sister's orders. A nice little seaside spot!).

I stayed at Lakeside B&B in Knysna as I wanted to be close to the Waterfront. After packing my valuables away in the room, I offloaded the bicycle and went to explore.
I was last in Knysna... I don't know... 18+ years ago? And I remember being so happy because my parents let me walk around the waterfront by myself, and it was so big and exciting. Turns out when you're a little person, everything seems huge. I got shouted at for cycling, so I walked around with my bike a bit (took all of 2 minutes), then rode across to Thensen Island. Now THAT is a lekker spot! Such a cool concept! I briefly glanced in the window of a realtor but cycled away quickly when I saw a figure of R12mil.

I followed a cycling/running track heading out of town and then looped back past the waterfront and along the sea a little bit before heading back to my accommodation. A nice little 10km ride to wake the legs up. And what a stunning afternoon!

Unsure of what to do with myself, I changed and walked to the waterfront in search of food, eventually settling on pizza, and then turned in for the night.

Day 1 done, it was sinking in that I had left home. I was both excited and a little sad.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1182 on: September 06, 2019, 06:34:46 am »
Day 2 dawned at a reasonable hour, and I pulled my running gear on. I told myself to just go for a quick. 1.5km run to start the day. Very doable. So off I went. As I was only doing a short distance a kept the speed up. It was cool (temperature wise) and tough. You know when it's cold and you exercises and your eyes and nose decide to have a competition to see which can release the most fluid... yeah...

Anyway, I was enjoying it and figured hey, may as well make it a 3km run, which I did.

I had a quick shower, packed, loaded the bike, and set off. Thank goodness I was going east; the traffic going the other way through town was horrendous.

My plan was to stop at Nature's Way Farmstall for breakfast. I had it all planned out. But arrived 30 minutes before they opened. I didn't want to sit and wait, and I wasn't keen on turning around to find another breakfast stop, so I continued and had fun on the winding Nature's Valley road. I pulled in at the Bloukrans bridge, and soaked up the view for a few minutes. And then carried on to Jeffrey's Bay.

I stopped at the lookout off Pepper Street, for the obligatory check out of the sea (my surfer friend said I had to do it), and while there dipped a toe in the ocean. It was cold.

By now I was getting a little hangry so I set off in search of food.Nina's Real Food had good reviews, and when I arrived they had a breakfast bun special, so I pulled in there. Turns out the special was for a guy operating within the restaurant, but not a part of it. So I switched to the next seat over and ordered from him. Coffee, bacon and egg, awesome.
And it was quite possibly the best breakfast bun I have ever had.

Then, it was time to shop. I had never been to J-Bay but knew all about the factory stores. I spent about 2 hours going between them. And I bought a t-shirt. One t-shirt. Okay, it cost me R100, and in a regular store would have been about R800.
I thought a good idea would be to make t-shirts saying "I spent 2 hours in the J-Bay factory stores and all I got was this lousy t-shirt".

Next stop: Nanaga Padstal between PE and Grahamstown.
I came across Nanaga when I read a Getaway article about the best padkos stops. The author hadn't managed to review Nanaga, but said others recommended their roosterkoek.

While the roosterkoek is massive, Rolandale's was better in my opinion. Probably because Nanaga's bacon and egg doesn't come with jam.
I have since learnt that Nanaga pies are quite good... not quite Peregrine standard, but close. Their coffee on the other hand... now THAT is moerkoffie!

And then, a little later after a rolling twisting drive, I got to Grahamstown. It wasn't as bad as people said. Sure the roads are a little tired, but otherwise, it's alright.

It has this Maun feel, with a bit of the grubbiness of Grabouw or Villiersdorp thrown in. But, there's a sense of community. And it's rustig. And I like it.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1183 on: September 06, 2019, 06:44:15 am »
1 - sunrise
2 - spot Scrat
3 - into the fog
4 - leg stretch at Rolandale. That car was packed like the PC-12 on the way back from George

Online TeeJay

« Reply #1184 on: September 06, 2019, 06:46:13 am »
Nice....the ramblings of a restless soul....or perhaps an adventurer of note  :thumleft:

Wishing you all the very best in your latest "adventure".
Eat life!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1185 on: September 06, 2019, 06:46:43 am »
1 - Buffelsbay
2 - the view from my room in Knysna
3 - the sign said "Over 142 bikes to see". Well, now it's 143!
4 - Beautiful properties, scary prices

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1186 on: September 06, 2019, 06:47:32 am »
1 - for a moment I thought I had somehow arrived back in Cape Town
2 - magical sunset and the perfect end to day 1

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1187 on: September 06, 2019, 06:49:46 am »
1 - view from the top of Nature's Valley. It was amazing. Just the sound of the crashing waves and the twittering birds. Peace.
2 and 3 - J-Bay!
4 - delicious brekkie roll. The spices had me confuzzeled and first
5 - rooserkoek

The following users thanked this post: halfjob

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1188 on: September 06, 2019, 06:50:33 am »
And lastly, the view of the sunset from my new home.

The following users thanked this post: buzzlightyear

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1189 on: September 06, 2019, 06:52:53 am »
Nice....the ramblings of a restless soul....or perhaps an adventurer of note  :thumleft:

Wishing you all the very best in your latest "adventure".

Ramblings, definitely. Restless soul, absolutely. Adventurer, in my own right.

Thank you, TeeJay :)

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1190 on: September 06, 2019, 09:25:28 am »
Speak to edgy and next year you do the Grahamstown to Port Alfred bike ride. 70 kilos of fun.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1191 on: September 06, 2019, 09:42:07 am »
Speak to edgy and next year you do the Grahamstown to Port Alfred bike ride. 70 kilos of fun.

Bicycle?

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1192 on: September 06, 2019, 09:43:34 am »
Show us what you are going to fly :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1193 on: September 06, 2019, 10:28:19 am »
Cessna Grand Caravan EX

I used to fly the Cessna Grand Caravan in Botswana, but the EX has a higher take off weight (9000lbs  :eek7:) and a bigger engine (867shp)and comes standard with the Garmin 1000 Glass Cockpit. The original Grand Van has 675shp.

ZS-DFK is the one in Grahamstown. "The Golden Goose"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:28:53 am by Sardine »

The following users thanked this post: EssBee

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #1194 on: September 06, 2019, 10:42:28 am »
Beautiful plane!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1195 on: September 06, 2019, 12:03:44 pm »
Beautiful plane!

Buzz, I cannot describe how good it feels to be flying one again.
It was like coming home after being away for a long, long time. I will try put some words down soon. But for now, I need to get out of the house. Rugby soon and I'm not in the mood to hear my housemate shout at the tv  :lol8:

Online Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #1196 on: September 06, 2019, 12:23:30 pm »
dont laugh now but i may in be around to play or watch my youngster of 24 play bowls at the albany bowling club in grahamstown in a weekend or two (not entirely sure)   8)

ill PM you and you can join for a toot  :thumleft:

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1197 on: September 06, 2019, 02:22:38 pm »
Looking forward to your future posts !

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1198 on: September 06, 2019, 05:48:04 pm »

Bicycle?
Yep bicycle. MTB

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #1199 on: September 07, 2019, 06:37:26 am »
Hi Sardine, I hope you’re well.  Out of curiosity, was the EX you’re flying mfg’d in the USA or China?
I’m da Yooper, eh and I like to party...