Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 143922 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1200 on: September 07, 2019, 06:47:23 am »
@Knucklhead , looking forward to meeting you!

@EssBee , thank you :)

@Wayne , I'm not a very strong cyclist, but hey, why not! I will keep it in mind, thanks :)

@bigoil all great here :) Manufactured in the USA. As far as I know, all Caravans are.

And thanks to FedEx, the Grand Van's much bigger brother has been developed: the SkyCourier. A massive twin-engined cargo-hauling monster.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1201 on: September 07, 2019, 06:54:10 am »
So, coming home.

Whenever I returned to Botswana after being on leave, be it for a few days or a month, I always felt this sense of calm and peace as I cross the border into the country. It was as if I had stepped through a curtain into a bubble.

Climbing into the Caravan for the first time since December 2017 had that same "welcome home" feeling.

Everything just came back to me. The familiarity of the door handle, swinging the stairs down, the technique to climb in, feeling each of the switches in the cockpit, running through all of the flows to start it and carry out the systems checks. Some of the items were a little foggy, but the muscle memory was still there. The sense of wonderment as I walked around the aircraft, pre-flighting it, checking fuel and oil, seeing things and thinking "oh yes, I remember I have to check this" or "that is known for being a pain".

And then, the comfort of strapping in to the 5 point harness. It is comforting feeling the straps across my shoulders and lap, as if being embraced by a friend.

And then there's flying it. Oh the joy of feeling 9000lbs gently leave the ground and climb away. The lightness of the controls, the sense of power and strength lurking in the background.

Could it be... is this love?

Don't get me wrong, the PC-12 is a fantastic aircraft. It is built tough and has some very clever systems. But everything about the Caravan is just so right. It is just so uncomplicated.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1202 on: September 07, 2019, 11:48:07 am »
Grahamstown to Port Alfred is in July. You got lots of time. LOL

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1203 on: September 09, 2019, 06:42:42 am »
Marathon training update.

My last long run was over 50 days ago. I can't believe how time has flown by.
In just a few days I will join thousands of runners waiting to start the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon.

Despite only having just joined my new company, they have been kind enough to give me leave to take part in the marathon. A small part of me was hoping I wouldn't get the leave, but now that I know I'm going, I'm getting excited. And nervous.

My training hasn't been up to scratch. My longest run so far was just shy of 25km. After that I was sick for weeks, and then my knee started acting up. Down in the dumps, I started eating everything in sight, gained a few kg's and came up with all sorts of excuses of why I shouldn't do some for of training. The big one was: training will set me back more than resting will.

I was wrong. As I discovered when I did eventually drag myself to the gym and realised I could still do all sorts of training with negatively impacting my recovering from my cold, or my knee. Oh well, now I know for the future.

Then I moved to the Eastern Cape and my focus shifted to work. Now that things have settled down, I have got into more of a routine which is doing wonders for my mental attitude. Grahamstown has lots of hills and I have discovered an intense hill training session on the treadmill means nothing when it comes to real hills.

I have been eating better, and I think I have lost weight because my knee issues have almost completely disappeared. In terms of training, I have done 2 Parkruns, a half marathon, cycled a bit, and I have decided to try walk every day.
On top of that, I also do a circuit at home comprising mostly of push-ups, squats, jumping jacks, planks and sit up variations. Unfortunately I overdid the sit-ups at a Crossfit intro class last week and have a lekker roastie on my back.

I also tripped at Parkrun on Saturday and got a nice roastie on my left knee  :lol8:

Yesterday I took part in the Sunshine Coast Trail Run, and finished 7km in just under an hour. It was tough: 3.5km uphill, no shade, headwind, dust, hot. Then we were treated to beautiful flowing single track downhill through the trees, and a final push to the finish in the sun. It was a fantastic but tough run. It was as intense as the entire half marathon.
The winning male completed 21km in 1:36  :o Machine!

This week I am going to rest. No more than walking, light cycling and a bit of strength training.

It is all mental now. I know I can walk 42.5km. I know if I pace myself and jog sections I will have the energy to complete the entire event.
My biggest thing to be aware of is the time cut-off's at certain distances. I must not mess that up. I think I have 1.5hrs to do the first 10km. I normally do 10km in about 1:10. So I can't be too relaxed about it all.

Once I have my race number I will put it here and those of you who are interested can track me (and every other runner) using: https://www.capetownmarathon.com/track-your-marathon-runner/

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #1204 on: September 09, 2019, 06:47:41 am »
Good luck Heather will be following your progress on Sunday!  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1205 on: September 09, 2019, 07:42:17 am »
Marathon training update.

My last long run was over 50 days ago. I can't believe how time has flown by.
In just a few days I will join thousands of runners waiting to start the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon.

Despite only having just joined my new company, they have been kind enough to give me leave to take part in the marathon. A small part of me was hoping I wouldn't get the leave, but now that I know I'm going, I'm getting excited. And nervous.

My training hasn't been up to scratch. My longest run so far was just shy of 25km. After that I was sick for weeks, and then my knee started acting up. Down in the dumps, I started eating everything in sight, gained a few kg's and came up with all sorts of excuses of why I shouldn't do some for of training. The big one was: training will set me back more than resting will.

I was wrong. As I discovered when I did eventually drag myself to the gym and realised I could still do all sorts of training without negatively impacting my recovering from my cold, or my knee. Oh well, now I know for the future.

Then I moved to the Eastern Cape and my focus shifted to work. Now that things have settled down, I have got into more of a routine which is doing wonders for my mental attitude. Grahamstown has lots of hills and I have discovered an intense hill training session on the treadmill means nothing when it comes to real hills.

I have been eating better, and I think I have lost weight because my knee issues have almost completely disappeared. In terms of training, I have done 2 Parkruns, a half marathon, cycled a bit, and I have decided to try walk every day.
On top of that, I also do a circuit at home comprising mostly of push-ups, squats, jumping jacks, planks and sit up variations. Unfortunately I overdid the sit-ups at a Crossfit intro class last week and have a lekker roastie on my back.

I also tripped at Parkrun on Saturday and got a nice roastie on my left knee  :lol8:

Yesterday I took part in the Sunshine Coast Trail Run, and finished 7km in just under an hour. It was tough: 3.5km uphill, no shade, headwind, dust, hot. Then we were treated to beautiful flowing single track downhill through the trees, and a final push to the finish in the sun. It was a fantastic but tough run. It was as intense as the entire half marathon.
The winning male completed 21km in 1:36  :o Machine!

This week I am going to rest. No more than walking, light cycling and a bit of strength training.

It is all mental now. I know I can walk 42.5km. I know if I pace myself and jog sections I will have the energy to complete the entire event.
My biggest thing to be aware of is the time cut-off's at certain distances. I must not mess that up. I think I have 1.5hrs to do the first 10km. I normally do 10km in about 1:10. So I can't be too relaxed about it all.

Once I have my race number I will put it here and those of you who are interested can track me (and every other runner) using: https://www.capetownmarathon.com/track-your-marathon-runner/

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1206 on: September 12, 2019, 05:28:26 pm »
Despite walking every day, and cycling wvery 2 or 3 days, I was getting cabin fever in Grahamstown.
We went from having a flight on the 19th, to two extra. 13th and 16th.
I fly to CT for leave on the 13th. And return on the 16th. Murphy!

Oh well. So yesterday I decided to go out and my housemate and I hit the road to Port Alfred where he claimed I would have “the best fish and chips of my life.”

The driver was lekker, and it was a stunning day.

We popped in at 43 Air School. Wow, what a set up! So much history and all done up quite nicely.

Then we headed in to town aaaaand...
The  fish and chips place was closed (Wharf Street Brew Pub). Murphy!

So we headed to Pig and Whistle instead.
I had a rather average schnitzel. But, it was cool to see the history.

And we also stopped by the giant pineapple. Now I have seen the world’s largest kiwi fruit and the world’s largest pineapple.

And then. Work phoned. Due to changes and delays, they aircraft had 1000lbs too much fuel for the flight on the 13th.
They had 11 pax booked. Problem.

We could de-fuel and out the fuel in drums. But you aren’t allowed to put that fuel back in the plane. So that would be a good few thousand R down the tube.
As we tried to think of other solutions the office said “go fly.”

Our maintenance is done at Port Alfred (the plane was in PE), and it was soon due for some stuff, so rather fly there and actually use the fuel for something.
We were also given permission to scout out potential scenic routes for flights.

Of course, we were only too happy to do that!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1207 on: September 12, 2019, 05:29:08 pm »

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1208 on: September 12, 2019, 05:36:45 pm »
Once we got home it was minor panic stations as I planned our flying, and sorted out what I had to pack.
I had gone from having all of Thursday to pack and mentally prepare for the marathon on sunday, and now all of a sudden, bam! I felt like I had lost several days.

But, I got the planning done, packed, and even got in a brisk walk to get some head space.

This morning we hit the road before the sun came up. Destination: PE. It all worked out well as I was going to drive my car there anyway, so now we saved work money on a rental, did our flight, and are in PE tonight. I fly out tomorrow morning, and my colleague will do the charter.

Sjoe, what a flight we had today. Along the coast to Port Alfred. Wow! The weather was muggy at first but started to clear. I saw dolphine, two sharks and a massive beached (dead) whale. What a magnificent piece of coastline!

We booked the plane in, chatted to the folks around the airfield, and then got a lift into town for... fish and chips! They were open this time :)
I wouldn’t say it qas the best fish and chips I have ever had, but it was good. Good crunchy batter, fish cooked well, chips weren’t bad. For restaurant fish and chips, aces. But the place in Hout Bay is still #1 overall!

Then we headed back, did the last of the paperwork for the plane, and headed off. The humidity was on the rise and we were worried the cloud had lowered. But it was beautiful. We routed NE for a bit before following the Fish River to the coast and blasting back down the coast.

What a jol! Real flying. And I cannot get enough of the coastline!

Needless to say, I feel alive. And for a moment I can forget that I am going to do a marathon on Sunday.

Online TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #1209 on: September 12, 2019, 06:34:47 pm »
Sounds like a lekker day... many ( and I mean about 20) years back, I was on a looksee flight when I still worked at SAA. Routing JNB-PLZ-ELS-JNB in a A320. On the ground in PLZ the captain asked about reported traffic en-route to ELS... there was none. Departure from PLZ on 08, I think, and it was a case of "100 knots, V1, rotate, positive climb, gear up" happened in about 20 seconds, and by the time we were clear of the bay we levelled off at about 2000 feet. That was our cruise height to ELS, where we had to climb at Kaysers Beach to intercept the ILS. What a flight...!
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1210 on: September 12, 2019, 09:03:22 pm »
A little muggy...

Getting better...

The following users thanked this post: EssBee

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1211 on: September 12, 2019, 09:04:45 pm »
I can’t get enough of the contrasts x2!

Port Alfred

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1212 on: September 12, 2019, 09:07:35 pm »
On our way back.

So clear!

Spot the dead whale...

Wow!

Love the dunes...

Coega harbour. Spot the wind turbine blades. This morning we drove past three trucks bearing a blade each. Massive!

The following users thanked this post: EssBee

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1213 on: September 13, 2019, 05:55:49 am »
Beautiful!! And so nice you scored a scenic flight. Also all the best for Cape Town Marathon, Crazy Person; finish well. I'm working the whole of Sunday, will wave from afar :thumleft:

You should see those blades arrive at Cape Town Harbour and be off-loaded :eek:

Truly massive.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1214 on: September 13, 2019, 06:36:17 am »
Thanks Ri.
It was a fantastic start to the weekend. I haven’t even been away for a month but it feels like a year.
I am excited to see my family. And dog. Especially my dog.

I can only imagine how crazy it must be watching those blades come off a ship.

The marathon will be streamed live on SABC 2.
And there is an app you can download to track runners: https://www.capetownmarathon.com/track-your-marathon-runner/
My race number is G13790.

My aim is to finish. The race starts at 06:40 and the cutoff is 13:10.
I know if I pace myself and I don’t hurt myself, I could probably finish in 6hrs. But after watching all the videos from past years I am just so excited to experience the gees.

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1215 on: September 13, 2019, 02:33:38 pm »
Whoo Hoo, lekka pics!!!!  I can only imagine your sense of euphoria at being in the air again.

Good Luck for the CT marathon.

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #1216 on: September 13, 2019, 03:17:43 pm »
Good luck for Sunday Heather!
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1217 on: September 14, 2019, 03:24:38 pm »
Thanks Folks.
The nerves are setting in. I just want to get going but I am forcing myself to rest.

Snacks are packed, Camebak has Rehidrat, I have a rough idea of the breakfast plan tomorrow.
It’s going to be an early start- 4am wake up to leave by 04:30 so that I can get there early enough to get parking. Then it is more hurry up and wait. I need to be in the start area by 06:00, and the race starts at 06:40.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1218 on: September 14, 2019, 09:25:29 pm »
You're probably fast asleep. My overtime was cancelled, so I'll be thinking of you and wishing you well from Somerset West while packing the last things for my holiday trip.

Have a great run, and a good finish :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1219 on: September 15, 2019, 01:17:32 am »
You're probably fast asleep. My overtime was cancelled, so I'll be thinking of you and wishing you well from Somerset West while packing the last things for my holiday trip.

Have a great run, and a good finish :thumleft:

I am with Ri wishing you a good run Heather  :thumleft:

And Ri, have an awesome holiday trip  :ricky:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:19:53 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine, Ri