Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 144334 times)

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1240 on: September 25, 2019, 10:11:26 am »
Ah yeah! Awesome! Landing at PE is always interesting. Imagine St. Maartens! :deal:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1241 on: September 27, 2019, 03:14:00 pm »
Flying these planes is also an awesome adventure, just never the same  :laughing4: :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1242 on: October 01, 2019, 01:14:36 pm »
Very well done, Crazy Person! And what has been done once, can be done again. Conquered territory :thumleft:

Get your leg sorted and get back at it, and enjoy it. Isn't there some Cape Epic 5-day trial run, or am I thinking of something else?

But really well done. :biggrin:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1243 on: October 01, 2019, 08:17:22 pm »
Oh noes!

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #1244 on: October 02, 2019, 07:02:37 am »
Impressive machine :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1245 on: October 05, 2019, 06:15:42 am »
Stunning pics!! :thumleft:

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #1246 on: October 05, 2019, 09:26:14 am »
I guess it wasn't you who buffed that spinner...

Nice pics
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1247 on: October 09, 2019, 06:06:30 am »
Thanks all!  :thumleft:

@Trail Blazer , nope, wasnít me this time. I do wash the windows though!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1248 on: October 09, 2019, 06:09:27 am »
Saturday I missed Parkrun, but I managef to get a short run around the block in. Then it was off to work.
It was a good drive: we saw zebra, giraffe, impala, kudu and warthog.

And we even had time to grab a coffee at the lodge reception.
Terrible day...

The in-flight photo was shortly after take-off from Kwandwe, looking towards Grahamstown.

Offline elandsrider

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #1249 on: October 09, 2019, 06:13:12 am »
Gtown looking like the start of a desert
Nice pics 👍
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1250 on: October 09, 2019, 06:22:26 am »
Sunday decided to be cold, windy and overcast. And I was planning on joining a hike. I toyed with the idea of not going, but decided to just layer up and go anyway. How bad could it be.

It was a loop of the Oldenburgia mountains, starting at Featherstone brewery.
There was a good turn out of people, and overall it was a beautiful hike, if a little windy.

The going was fairly slow, as it was a decent group of various fitness levels. But despite the oace being a bit slower than I would have liked, it was a great morning out.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1251 on: October 09, 2019, 06:26:39 am »
The weather continued to deteriorate and on Monday I woke up to the rumble of thunder.
Some light rain showers oassed through, and eventually the skies opened up and we were treated to good, steady rain, thunder and lightning!

My first thunderstorm in I donít know how many years!
The ground soaked it all up, and everything was left looking clean and sparkly.

Unfortunately, we lost power for most of the afternoon. Town was chaos and ai found myself bored and annoyed. Not annoyed because of the lack of power, but because the fridge-freezer decided to develop a personality complex. The fridge froze over and the freezer defrosted.

I donít recommend eating frozen lettuce. Or apples. Or whole carrots.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1252 on: October 09, 2019, 06:27:59 am »
Yesterday dawned beautiful and clear.
I went for a short walk and then got ready for work.

We were quite early, so we had fun with photos.
Spot my colleague...

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1253 on: October 09, 2019, 06:29:26 am »
Massive ship! Looked empty in there.

Parked between the big guns.

Cool reflection where you can kind of make out the Boeing on each side.

The following users thanked this post: EssBee

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1254 on: October 09, 2019, 06:32:07 am »
And then we flew back to Kwandwe and called it a day.

After we got home I quickly changed and dashed over to @edgy to see if I could swing my leg over his XR650. It was a bit of a stretch, but I managed. And I got to have a quick blast on it. What a blast it was! I havenít ridden since February or March, and I had never even sat on an XR until then :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: EssBee

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #1255 on: October 09, 2019, 08:30:25 pm »
Awesome photos!  :thumleft:

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #1256 on: October 10, 2019, 07:43:40 am »
Thanks Sardine, great pics and stories, still following with much interest  :thumleft:

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1257 on: October 13, 2019, 03:10:14 am »
Thanks Sardine, great pics and stories, still following with much interest  :thumleft:

+1  :thumleft:

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #1258 on: October 14, 2019, 12:18:12 pm »
love it thanks for sharing  :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1259 on: October 16, 2019, 05:33:17 am »
Last week was both hectic and relaxing.
Hectically relaxing :-P

You see, a scheme had formed. We had a few days with no flying, and my sister and her family were holidaying in Buffels Baai. And they had room in the house they were renting, so they said I could come across for a few days.

Now itís over 400km, 4.5hrsí drive. But it would mean seeing my niece.

Decided, I set about finding a hire car. We would be flying in to PE so I figured I would just hire a car from there. I checked prices on the weekend, but waited until Tuesday to book (because stuff changes, right).

We things did change. Big time. All the cars were booked. Every single car company in PE.
Uh oh...

Ok, after we leave the plane in PE we will drive to Grahamstown, I will get my car, and then set heading for Buffels. There wasnít even a car available for that.
Gulp...

Right, so we would stay in PE a night... make that two nights because there were STILL no cars available on Thursday.

It looked like my Buffels plan wasnít going to work. But I was glued to the Avis website, refreshing every 5 minutes. And. All of a sardine, a car was available. I quickly phoned my office to tell them so they could book it. Which they did. My plan was back in play!

So on Wednesday I packed and got to bed early. Thursday was going to be a very long day. We had a 06:45 take off out of Kwandwe. So we had to be there by 05:45, which meant leaving by 05:00, so I was up at 04:00.

It was a beautiful day. Cool and calm. With some dramatic clouds enroute.

After we dropped our clients in PE, we were done flying for the day. At 07:20. Tough life, hey!
But, we had to sort out the plane and do a compressor rinse, which meant waiting until 10:00 for the engine to cool. The rinse is a case of running water over the compressor blades to clean off salt and other deposits.

Job done, we headed to Avis to fetch the car. It was about 11:00 and we only had it booked for 13:00, so I was a little worried it wouldnít be ready. But, it was. Today has been going really well!

We set off on the 130km drive home, stopping in Nanaga for a burger roosterkoek. Yum!

Once we got home I resisted the urge to dive into my car and hit the road- I still had a job to do. So I finished up my paperwork from the dayís flying, checked I had everything, and only then set off.

Talk about criss-crossing the area! First about 130km in the air, then going back 130km by road, and now going back again!

Fortunately it is a nice drive. And I like driving.
Long story short, the drive was uneventful. And I donít recommend the Steers chicken mayo sandwich at Stormsriver... anyhow, I got to Buffels at about 19:30. I was pretty tired and approaching zombie status.

But seeing my niece smile made it all worth it!

We all ate dinner and chatted, and I was in bed by 21:00.

I slept like a brick. And I was up early enough to read stories and chat with my niece (she normally wakes up by about 6am).

It was a beautiful morning and we headed to Knysna to go SUP-ing on the lagoon. It was great fun! Then we had an early lunch at the Knysna Heads. I am searching for a chicken mayo sandwich to match the one Frankyís Diner makes. This place has probably been the better one so far. Not as good as Frankyís, but yum.

The rest of the day was spent reading and dozing and listening to the sea.

On Saturday my sister and I did a walk/hike in the dunes. It was beautiful, do watch out for mozzies though. Starting the day with a walk always makes the day feel like a success!

We headed to Sedgefield to the market, which was awesome. Lots of yummy tasters! And a fudge store that makes delicious, silky smooth chili chocolate fudge. And swiss chocolate fudge. And lemon fudge. And turkish delight. And and and. And I donít even like fudge!

After the market I met with a friend at Pause Coffee Roastery. Their food is really good- I got a huge chicken salad. And their carrot cake is one of the best I have had!

Then I made my way back to Buffels, stopping to fill the car for the return trip home. I was still undecided as to when I was going to leave though- Sunday or Monday.

Another afternoon was spent reading and relaxing.
My niece showed off her new cycling skills and we spotted some dolphins. Cool!

I decided to leave on Monday morning. It takes a lot for me to relax and I was having such a good time.

On Sunday I was up early and walked to the main beach to watch the sunrise. It was cloudy, but still great to watch the ebb and flow of the sea and listen to the waves.

We headed to Totties Farm Kitchen in Rheenendal for lunch. And what a lunch it was. A huge buffet with everything from soup to thai green curry mushrooms, to fish, to roast beef, to malva pudding.

Naturally, I tried a little of almost everything. And completed pigged out on the pumpkin pie. And chocolate cake. And malva. And almond cake. You know when you get bend forward because your stomach is so full it hurts. Yeah.

I somehow rolled to the car and dozed on the drive home. Everyone had an afternoon nap and I dozed on the couch, reading a page of my book every now and then. Food coma of note.

On Monday I caught a spectacular sunrise. What a fitting way to end off my break.

I was on my way by 08:30, and the miles ticked over steadily. I stopped at Natureís Valley Farmstall for a coffee and wound up with a pie and coffee. I thought I would be clever and take the winding scenic road and miss the toll gate. I was wrong and still had to go through the toll gate, but at least the drive was good.

Then I pulled in to JBay for what has become my favourite bacon and egg roll from a place at Ninaís.

And once in PE I did a bit of retail therapy. I got back to Grahamstown at around 17:00. The drive went by so much faster compared to Thursday.

Yesterday (Tuesday), it was back to work and back on the road. To PE. :-P at least I got to drive an i20 which was lots of fun!