Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 144817 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1280 on: October 17, 2019, 01:40:36 pm »
Red is faster.

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #1281 on: October 17, 2019, 03:59:53 pm »
Last week was both hectic and relaxing.
Hectically relaxing :-P

You see, a scheme had formed. We had a few days with no flying, and my sister and her family were holidaying in Buffels Baai. And they had room in the house they were renting, so they said I could come across for a few days.

Now itís over 400km, 4.5hrsí drive. But it would mean seeing my niece.

Decided, I set about finding a hire car. We would be flying in to PE so I figured I would just hire a car from there. I checked prices on the weekend, but waited until Tuesday to book (because stuff changes, right).

We things did change. Big time. All the cars were booked. Every single car company in PE.
Uh oh...

Ok, after we leave the plane in PE we will drive to Grahamstown, I will get my car, and then set heading for Buffels. There wasnít even a car available for that.
Gulp...

Right, so we would stay in PE a night... make that two nights because there were STILL no cars available on Thursday.

It looked like my Buffels plan wasnít going to work. But I was glued to the Avis website, refreshing every 5 minutes. And. All of a sardine, a car was available. I quickly phoned my office to tell them so they could book it. Which they did. My plan was back in play!

So on Wednesday I packed and got to bed early. Thursday was going to be a very long day. We had a 06:45 take off out of Kwandwe. So we had to be there by 05:45, which meant leaving by 05:00, so I was up at 04:00.

It was a beautiful day. Cool and calm. With some dramatic clouds enroute.

After we dropped our clients in PE, we were done flying for the day. At 07:20. Tough life, hey!
But, we had to sort out the plane and do a compressor rinse, which meant waiting until 10:00 for the engine to cool. The rinse is a case of running water over the compressor blades to clean off salt and other deposits.

Job done, we headed to Avis to fetch the car. It was about 11:00 and we only had it booked for 13:00, so I was a little worried it wouldnít be ready. But, it was. Today has been going really well!

We set off on the 130km drive home, stopping in Nanaga for a burger roosterkoek. Yum!

Once we got home I resisted the urge to dive into my car and hit the road- I still had a job to do. So I finished up my paperwork from the dayís flying, checked I had everything, and only then set off.

Talk about criss-crossing the area! First about 130km in the air, then going back 130km by road, and now going back again!

Fortunately it is a nice drive. And I like driving.
Long story short, the drive was uneventful. And I donít recommend the Steers chicken mayo sandwich at Stormsriver... anyhow, I got to Buffels at about 19:30. I was pretty tired and approaching zombie status.

But seeing my niece smile made it all worth it!

We all ate dinner and chatted, and I was in bed by 21:00.

I slept like a brick. And I was up early enough to read stories and chat with my niece (she normally wakes up by about 6am).

It was a beautiful morning and we headed to Knysna to go SUP-ing on the lagoon. It was great fun! Then we had an early lunch at the Knysna Heads. I am searching for a chicken mayo sandwich to match the one Frankyís Diner makes. This place has probably been the better one so far. Not as good as Frankyís, but yum.

The rest of the day was spent reading and dozing and listening to the sea.

On Saturday my sister and I did a walk/hike in the dunes. It was beautiful, do watch out for mozzies though. Starting the day with a walk always makes the day feel like a success!

We headed to Sedgefield to the market, which was awesome. Lots of yummy tasters! And a fudge store that makes delicious, silky smooth chili chocolate fudge. And swiss chocolate fudge. And lemon fudge. And turkish delight. And and and. And I donít even like fudge!

After the market I met with a friend at Pause Coffee Roastery. Their food is really good- I got a huge chicken salad. And their carrot cake is one of the best I have had!

Then I made my way back to Buffels, stopping to fill the car for the return trip home. I was still undecided as to when I was going to leave though- Sunday or Monday.

Another afternoon was spent reading and relaxing.
My niece showed off her new cycling skills and we spotted some dolphins. Cool!

I decided to leave on Monday morning. It takes a lot for me to relax and I was having such a good time.

On Sunday I was up early and walked to the main beach to watch the sunrise. It was cloudy, but still great to watch the ebb and flow of the sea and listen to the waves.

We headed to Totties Farm Kitchen in Rheenendal for lunch. And what a lunch it was. A huge buffet with everything from soup to thai green curry mushrooms, to fish, to roast beef, to malva pudding.

Naturally, I tried a little of almost everything. And completed pigged out on the pumpkin pie. And chocolate cake. And malva. And almond cake. You know when you get bend forward because your stomach is so full it hurts. Yeah.

I somehow rolled to the car and dozed on the drive home. Everyone had an afternoon nap and I dozed on the couch, reading a page of my book every now and then. Food coma of note.

On Monday I caught a spectacular sunrise. What a fitting way to end off my break.

I was on my way by 08:30, and the miles ticked over steadily. I stopped at Natureís Valley Farmstall for a coffee and wound up with a pie and coffee. I thought I would be clever and take the winding scenic road and miss the toll gate. I was wrong and still had to go through the toll gate, but at least the drive was good.

Then I pulled in to JBay for what has become my favourite bacon and egg roll from a place at Ninaís.

And once in PE I did a bit of retail therapy. I got back to Grahamstown at around 17:00. The drive went by so much faster compared to Thursday.

Yesterday (Tuesday), it was back to work and back on the road. To PE. :-P at least I got to drive an i20 which was lots of fun!

Ninas is lekka, but you should try tasty table next time , on the beach from at the main beach..

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1282 on: October 17, 2019, 04:19:37 pm »
So, XR impressions. I find it a little smoother than the DR, and the seat is much more comfortable! I just need to make sure to plan my stops carefully and I should be fine.

Pressure rinse your mouth there - smoother than my Gent? He purrs like a kitten in a sun patch after a big dash of cream.

I'll give it to you on the seat though. One needs a square bum on a long ride.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1283 on: October 17, 2019, 05:57:33 pm »
@Knucklhead , I don't actually go to Nina's- there is a guy there with a little stand just inside Nina's. I go to him. I think he still works for/with Nina's, but his prices are loads better. I just love the "smoor" they use on the bacon and egg roll  :drif:
I will check out Tasty Table  :thumleft:

@Ri  :imaposer:
I think the Gent took a bit of strain two-up.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1284 on: October 18, 2019, 02:30:58 am »
Many years ago, when I used to frequent the Eastern Cape area, Port Alfred area to be more precise, there was a shop at the top of the hill just as you came into PA from the South. I think it was called Beavers?

They had a sign outside advertising the "Best Pies in the World", or something like that....

Next time you are driving that route give it a try. Their pies really were spectacular  :drif:   AND they were open 24/7, so when passing by at 04:30 to get to the PA harbor to go deep sea fishing I'd stop and get a pie or a sausage roll to make sure that the belly was lined for the day  :deal:  :thumleft:

disclaimer: we are talking about more than 15 years ago now, so things may have changed  ::)
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Wayne

« Reply #1285 on: October 18, 2019, 05:33:49 am »
Many years ago, when I used to frequent the Eastern Cape area, Port Alfred area to be more precise, there was a shop at the top of the hill just as you came into PA from the South. I think it was called Beavers?

They had a sign outside advertising the "Best Pies in the World", or something like that....

Next time you are driving that route give it a try. Their pies really were spectacular  :drif:   AND they were open 24/7, so when passing by at 04:30 to get to the PA harbor to go deep sea fishing I'd stop and get a pie or a sausage roll to make sure that the belly was lined for the day  :deal:  :thumleft:

disclaimer: we are talking about more than 15 years ago now, so things may have changed  ::)
Beavers closed down a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1286 on: October 18, 2019, 06:45:56 am »

Darnit, now Iím craving a pie  :lol8:

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #1287 on: October 18, 2019, 07:15:23 am »

Darnit, now Iím craving a pie  :lol8:

Beavers breakfasts were excellent too, but found the next door petrol station the slowest in the country.  >:(

Pity they closed the cafe though, don't even know what's there now. Just ride past the place without even a glance.

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #1288 on: October 18, 2019, 08:00:05 am »
wimpy is there now  :deal:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1289 on: October 18, 2019, 08:44:36 am »
Any really lekker coffee spots in Port Alfred?

Offline SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Only 98 669 km.
« Reply #1290 on: October 18, 2019, 08:48:38 am »
Try Buddies Speed Shop for pies..
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1291 on: November 01, 2019, 05:11:52 pm »
Time has both been dragging by, and flashing past.

In July I made the decision to change jobs. In August I moved to a new town.
This time in September I was doing my first flight at my new job.
It doesn't feel like two months ago. It feels like a lot more. I have done so much. Run a half marathon. Run a marathon. Made heaps of friends.

I am really enjoying the job, and I have done a little of 30hrs on the Cessna Caravan EX. Ain't nothing like a 'Van!  O0

Last week was busy with a last-minute change that had us flying to Lanseria. We had to drop the plane off, then wait there a few days to get a different 'Van and fly that back.
It was my second time ever flying to Lanseria (where I was the pilot), and great fun. October was quite busy with a lot of flights, but unfortunately November is quiet so far. Here's hoping some flights come in. Anyone want to charter a Caravan  :deal:

Today I went hiking at the nearby Two River Trail.
What a blast. I went alone but the land-owner's dogs followed me the whole way. I was given great directions but still managed to take a wrong turn and wound up doing some serious bundu bashing. I eventually made the call to turn around and retrace my steps, and then carried on the correct way. Looking at the GPS track, I was just a few meters from a perfectly good path. In fact, I saw it but thought "Nope, I want to be going the other way". Oh well, it was fun! I'm sunburnt and covered in cuts and bruises, but it was so good to be out and about. And the dogs were great company!

Tomorrow we are off to PE, where we will stay for a few days, and then it's back to Kwandwe.
There might be something in the pipeline for next week. Here's holding thumbs. It does unfortunately mean missing the Thomas River Bash  :'( So I'm going to have to make a plan to get up to Hogsback for a few days with the bicycle and do some running and cycling.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1292 on: November 01, 2019, 05:30:52 pm »
It is wonderful that your new situation is so much better than your old situation.

I'd love to come check out Grahamstown, I don't think I've ever been there.

And as the "dog walker" in the house (not my dogs), can confirm that dogs are lovely company :biggrin:

Shout when you're in Stellenbosch or Somerset West again, and in need of a loaner bike. I have one or two on standby.... we can visit Cape Agulhas, not too far, nice gravel :ricky: (also I know a Dog there)
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1293 on: November 01, 2019, 10:58:12 pm »
Nice catching up on your thread  :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1294 on: November 08, 2019, 08:13:43 pm »
It has been a long day, and a busy afternoon.

My mind has been going at 100 miles an hour.

Tomorrow I go on a charter, to Mozambique  :ricky:
Yesterday was spent packing and trying to figure out what Iíd need. Once I had everything sorted and packed I  had a niggling feeling that I was forgetting something. And then it hit me. Passport! Can you imagine if I had forgotten that!  :eek7:

This morning I was up at 5am, and drove to PE where I caught a flight to Lanseria. I managed to get a short nap. On the plane. Not during the drive. The last week has been one of early starts to go running, cycling and exploring in general.

Once in Lanseria I met my co-pilot, and we went over the planning for the next 5 days. He does these flights regularly, so that helps a bit. After that I grabbed lunch and then helped the guys shuttle aircraft around the airport. There is some very nice machinery here!

It was getting late and I still had to do all the nav planning. The software we use isnít user friendly (or Iím just stoopid), and it took me the better part of 2.5hrs  :lamer:

By now I was tired and hungry and my mind had kicked up to 200 miles an hour.
At least the sunset was awesome.

7pm felt like 10pm. I got to my accommodation, sorted out all my stuff for tomorrow, then tucked into dinner. Chicken bunny from the Indian restaurant at the terminal. Highly recommend!

Now I need to learn some Portuguese phrases and go over frequencies, then sleeeeep!

The following users thanked this post: halfjob, EssBee

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1295 on: November 09, 2019, 03:51:06 am »
Only one phrase needed in Moz...

Dois M.  :deal:

Pronounced "doish em"  :thumleft:

It's the local beer  :biggrin:  :drif:  :imaposer:

enjoy, have fun, and stay cool!  :lol8:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #1296 on: November 09, 2019, 10:26:14 am »

Ice cold, they are the dogs bollocks!
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Karel84

« Reply #1297 on: November 09, 2019, 10:54:11 pm »

It's the local beer    :drif:  :imaposer:

enjoy, have fun, and stay cool!  8:
Ice cold, they are the dogs bollocks!
The "mutt's nuts" if you will...

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #1298 on: November 11, 2019, 09:16:17 am »

Oh stahp it... what I'd give to be having one on a moz beach right now...

And of course Tipo Tinto, Mr Tietie-Pietie

Bon dia, Comesta? Tod Bem

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Thunderlinde

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bellville Breker
« Reply #1299 on: November 11, 2019, 02:18:31 pm »

Its available at my local Makro here in the Western Cape! Love it!  :thumleft:

KTM 950 Adv