Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 218600 times)

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1300 on: November 20, 2019, 08:34:13 pm »
Nice meeting you tonight. How did this thread pass me by. Subscribe.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline silvrav

« Reply #1301 on: November 20, 2019, 08:54:53 pm »
Only one phrase needed in Moz...

Dois M.  :deal:

Pronounced "doish em"  :thumleft:

It's the local beer  :biggrin:  :drif:  :imaposer:

enjoy, have fun, and stay cool!  :lol8:
:drif: :drif:

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1302 on: November 21, 2019, 11:09:15 am »
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
The big thing with documenting my days is resizing the photos to upload here. It is a pain in the backside as I do it all from my phone. This is because my phone doesn't talk to my computer, so I can't transfer photos to my computer (where I can batch re-size).  :dousing:

I have most of my Mozambique trip written up.

So I am going to hold off on that for the time-being and rather write about the more recent stuff before the memory fog sets in.

November was set to be quite quiet, but fortunately more flights came in.
They kicked off with a mad scramble on the morning of the 15th when guests decided at the last-minute that they wouldn't to fly to Kwandwe rather than drive.

So it was a hurried breakfast, change, throw bags in the car, and drive to PE.
Despite the late notice, the guests only had to wait about 30 minutes for us to get the aircraft ready. Their flight from Cape Town took about as long as our drive down from Grahamstown  :P

They were very friendly and enjoyed their stay and flights.

---

A few days later we finally got confirmation on a charter that kept getting postponed. It is for a new potential route, to a runway between PE and Graaff-Reniet.
Now, this is more my stuff - compacted runway with loose stones on the surface, in a valley, hectic slope (taking off downhill is fun because the ground drops away from you), and in summer I think we will have fun managing the engine with the heat.
We flew people in on the 18th, and flew them out on the 20th.

The feedback was very positive, so hopefully we will get more flights there in the near future.

We were also lucky enough to stay at one of the lodges on Tuesday night (the reserve has 3 different lodges on it). Very snazzy with amazing, down-to-earth staff. Nothing like I have experienced at a 5-star lodge before which was awesome!

It was my leg for the return flight on the 20th, and a combination of a late descent from ATC, coupled with them not telling us about an aircraft ahead of us meant I had to abort the landing and do a go-around. A non-event, just means a bit of extra paperwork as I have to log it with my office.

Last night I stayed in PE and finally got to meet some of the PE Dogs  :thumleft: Thanks guys, it was lekker!
And now I am chilling at the Grass Roof Farmstall, killing time before I fly out to Durban at 15:00.
 O0

Photos
1.) A crude drawing of the runway. It has a bit of a table-top and then wheeeeeeee! Downhill!
2.) Photo of the runway surface

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1303 on: November 25, 2019, 08:13:55 pm »
Had a few days of R&R in Ballito. Tomorrow it is back to the Eastern Cape.
It has included lots of walking, a Parkrun, a swim in the sea, far too much food, and puttering around on my dadís scooter and motorbike.

I even managed to drop the BMW while positioning it for the second photo. Donít ask me how I did it, but wow did I feel like a right twit.
  :lamer:

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1304 on: November 25, 2019, 08:18:07 pm »
Oh, and there was go-karting too.  :ricky:

If you are looking for a good eisbein, head over to Siggiís in Salt Rock.  :drif:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #1305 on: November 25, 2019, 09:27:41 pm »
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
The big thing with documenting my days is resizing the photos to upload here. It is a pain in the backside as I do it all from my phone. This is because my phone doesn't talk to my computer, so I can't transfer photos to my computer (where I can batch re-size).  :dousing:

I have most of my Mozambique trip written up.

So I am going to hold off on that for the time-being and rather write about the more recent stuff before the memory fog sets in.

November was set to be quite quiet, but fortunately more flights came in.
They kicked off with a mad scramble on the morning of the 15th when guests decided at the last-minute that they wouldn't to fly to Kwandwe rather than drive.

So it was a hurried breakfast, change, throw bags in the car, and drive to PE.
Despite the late notice, the guests only had to wait about 30 minutes for us to get the aircraft ready. Their flight from Cape Town took about as long as our drive down from Grahamstown  :P

They were very friendly and enjoyed their stay and flights.

---

A few days later we finally got confirmation on a charter that kept getting postponed. It is for a new potential route, to a runway between PE and Graaff-Reniet.
Now, this is more my stuff - compacted runway with loose stones on the surface, in a valley, hectic slope (taking off downhill is fun because the ground drops away from you), and in summer I think we will have fun managing the engine with the heat.
We flew people in on the 18th, and flew them out on the 20th.

The feedback was very positive, so hopefully we will get more flights there in the near future.

We were also lucky enough to stay at one of the lodges on Tuesday night (the reserve has 3 different lodges on it). Very snazzy with amazing, down-to-earth staff. Nothing like I have experienced at a 5-star lodge before which was awesome!

It was my leg for the return flight on the 20th, and a combination of a late descent from ATC, coupled with them not telling us about an aircraft ahead of us meant I had to abort the landing and do a go-around. A non-event, just means a bit of extra paperwork as I have to log it with my office.

Last night I stayed in PE and finally got to meet some of the PE Dogs  :thumleft: Thanks guys, it was lekker!
And now I am chilling at the Grass Roof Farmstall, killing time before I fly out to Durban at 15:00.
 O0

Photos
1.) A crude drawing of the runway. It has a bit of a table-top and then wheeeeeeee! Downhill!
2.) Photo of the runway surface

Create a profile here : https://imgbb.com/

Upload all images and at the end select medium size HTML link - copy and paste the URL of the photos into your thread here and they will resize auto to medium - perfect for the forum.

I started using IMGBB after photobucket started their nonsense

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #1306 on: November 26, 2019, 12:41:01 am »
That eisbein!!  :drif:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1307 on: November 26, 2019, 02:43:22 am »

I agree  :drif: :drif: :drif:

I haven't found eisbein yet in the USA. I can remember getting delicious eisbein back in SA  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Maybe I need to take Mrs Zog to a German restaurant one day  8)
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1308 on: November 26, 2019, 11:12:48 am »

I agree  :drif: :drif: :drif:

I haven't found eisbein yet in the USA. I can remember getting delicious eisbein back in SA  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Maybe I need to take Mrs Zog to a German restaurant one day  8)
https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowUserReviews-g34615-d525000-r529215132-Hollerbach_s_Willow_Tree_Cafe-Sanford_Florida.html

Seems this one is rated highly. Dunno if it is near you though.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1309 on: November 26, 2019, 02:03:07 pm »
Thanks for that recommendation, good excuse to schedule a little road ride over there.  :snorting:

Offline elandsrider

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #1310 on: November 26, 2019, 08:47:52 pm »
German club in pe makes a pretty awesome knuckle if you pass that way
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #1311 on: November 27, 2019, 08:52:23 am »
German club in pe makes a pretty awesome knuckle if you pass that way

you called  :biggrin:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1312 on: November 29, 2019, 05:42:11 pm »
Today was forecast to be hot, so yesterday I plotted a route to cycle, and got all my gear ready for the morning.
I ran my route past Ruffian, and took a look on Google Earth.

The plan was to leave home at 06:00, cycle up Mountain Drive, then head across to the Highlands road, and take some single track around to near the airport. I figured it would be about 3hrs and 30km.

The day dawned windy but I figured it would keep the temperature down, so  I munched breakfast happily and set off at 06:00 sharp.

Despite the headwind, Mountain Drive went well. I had the place to myself (I keep think it is Saturday though, and forget people work normal hours). Then I headed across to the Highlands road, which I have only driven once.

Not long after hitting the gravel, I almost fell off my bike from laughing- I went over corrugated gravel. And you know when you just sort of relax your mouth and sound comes out as you go over bumps. That happened. I found it hilarious. So I cackled my way along the gravel, soaking up the views.

Now, while Ruffian gave me directions, I failed to seek clarification on them..

I read: dam wall, go east, ridge.

So thatís what I did.
Then I got to an electric fence.

So I reread the instructions.
Dam wall, ridge, east.

I got them in the wrong order.
So I was on the ridge, in the wrong place. I checked Google and decided to head west along the fence thinking I would reach the track I was meant to have been on. Instead of just turning around and following the track I had come up. Idiot.

West was thick shrub. 1.5km took about an hour. My corrugated laughter was a distance memory. My legs were burning from cuts. I picked up bits of path created by animals and hoped the little burrows/holes in the grass were made by rodents and not snakes. I wondered if the fence really was electrified and considered throwing the bike over so I could cycle on the gravel between the wind turbines. At one point I  heard something zap. Glad I didnít test the fence. Or try throw the bike over.

I eventually reached a low stone wall thinking yes! End of the electric fence! Nope. I considered throwing my bike down the mountain.

Eventually I gave up and went down the ridge, back to the track.
I had to negotiate a barbed wire fence and chose the bit with the least-rusted barbs.Managed alright though.

I then tried a different path and reached a big ditch. Screamed profanities. And went back the way I came. Which included going up a freaking steep hill with a headwind and no shade.

I was back on the corrugated gravel and managed to entertain myself again. But by now I was hot, tired, sore, and starting to get dehydrated.
Fortunately I now had a tailwind most of the way home.

So, 40km and 4.5hrs later, I got home. Covered in cuts and sand and with half the shrubs in my socks.

The epsom salt bath was... fun.

But hey. A productive morning.  :ricky:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1313 on: November 29, 2019, 05:50:11 pm »
Some radiation...

Jameson Dam. I think.

The following users thanked this post: halfjob

Offline Ri

« Reply #1314 on: November 30, 2019, 11:05:08 pm »
Hilarious, I'm crying with laughter!

Thanks for sharing the gory details  :biggrin: :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:05:35 pm by Ri »

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #1315 on: November 30, 2019, 11:11:18 pm »
 :lol8: Eina!!

Definitely a tough workout and one you'll never forget!  :laughing4:

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1316 on: November 30, 2019, 11:14:43 pm »
Dehydration is no joke. Glad you made it out safe.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1317 on: December 01, 2019, 07:20:12 am »
Caution. Photos of legs.

So, after my cycle I thought ďmy legs donít look THAT badĒ...
A couple of good cuts and a bit of blood.

Yesterday, however... it looked as if a 100 possessed cats had attacked my legs.
The swelling around each cut coupled with the bruises from the go-karting, I look like I was beat up good and proper.

Today the swelling as at least gone down.

I use an app called Relive which uses the GPS track and makes a little video of the route. I think I see where I went wrong- I took the red route, but I think I was meant to take the yellow one.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #1318 on: December 01, 2019, 08:03:49 am »
 :o Ouch!! That legs took a proper beating but like said, great memories!!  :laughing4:

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1319 on: December 01, 2019, 05:37:58 pm »
OMW. You really look like you were in a war.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.