Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 147846 times)

Offline elandsrider

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1320 on: December 01, 2019, 07:51:56 pm »
Eina
Stick to bikes , less pain than that in my mind 🤣🤣
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1321 on: December 01, 2019, 08:00:49 pm »
Eina
Stick to bikes , less pain than that in my mind 🤣🤣

Technically, that was because of a bike  :deal:

Not much pain today. But it doesn't look good. I should get some interesting looks at the gym tomorrow!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1322 on: December 01, 2019, 08:03:56 pm »
I bought myself a "from me to me" present. Who's up for camping?
*The tent is the present, not the mug. Had that for a while  8)

And, on the drive home from work today. Zebra crossing  :deal:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:07:02 pm by Sardine »

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1323 on: December 01, 2019, 08:17:10 pm »
Cool mug  8) :lol8:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline elandsrider

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #1324 on: December 01, 2019, 08:28:03 pm »
Is that ezulu?
Looks like part of the route we took to thomas river ?
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1325 on: December 02, 2019, 05:28:20 am »
Is that ezulu?
Looks like part of the route we took to thomas river ?
Kwandwe Private Game Reserve  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1326 on: December 02, 2019, 07:46:49 am »

Your life in black and white 8)

Didn't Ruffian tell you about wild camping ... sans tents? More fun to watch the stars :P That looks like a great little tent, hope you get to test it soon. You seem to be in the right area for impromptu camping, I'm not envious at all.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1327 on: December 02, 2019, 08:00:43 am »

Your life in black and white 8)

Didn't Ruffian tell you about wild camping ... sans tents? More fun to watch the stars :P That looks like a great little tent, hope you get to test it soon. You seem to be in the right area for impromptu camping, I'm not envious at all.

For all my active outdoorsy-ness, the only camping I have done in the wild was when hiking Kilimanjaro. So I'm going to ease into it  :lol8:
I can always set up the tent without the rain fly and see the stars  O0

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1328 on: December 02, 2019, 08:07:49 am »
You'll love it. And of course a tent is great to stave off the mozzies, if you happen to be a favoured snack, and to stow your gear if you don't want to cart it around.
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1329 on: December 04, 2019, 06:20:47 pm »
Yesterday was windy. Really windy.
The day's flying should be fun, with Windy showing 40kts at cruising altitude, and 30kits on the ground.
We flew from Kwandwe to PE in the morning. Despite the wind, we found ourselves between layers of stable cloud, so it was a smooth flight.
When we descended below the clouds for the approach into PE we were met with the sight of a ferocious sea. It was more white than blue. Over 20 big ships were anchored in the bay, with many smaller vessels getting thrown about too. The wind was pretty much a due westerly, so I figured trying to get into the harbour was more dangerous than staying in the bay?

Fortunately one of the runways in PE is almost East-West (080/260 degrees), so the landing wasn't too hairy. It was a slow approach, our groundspeed sitting between 45 and 50kts. Yeaha!

We dropped our passengers, refueled, got some padkos and coffee, and set off for Lanseria.
Our indicated airspeed registered 30kts while we were stopped on the runway! We were airborne within 160m. I hadn't even set take-off power. I love this plane! We then climbed like a fart in a bath, at about 1800fpm (feet per minute).
The performance figures in the aircraft manual give a take off ground roll of about 400m in still-wind conditions.

When I checked the enroute weather that morning, all looked good- a bit of cloud, but Lanseria was clear.
We cruised between layers of cloud, but as we got closer to Bloemfontein the sky got darker.

I fired up the weather radar and we were met with red splotches. Red isn't good. Don't push the red button, and don't fly towards/through/near the red splotches. Bloemfontein ATC (air traffic control) gave us a more direct routing to Lanseria, which would have taken us close to Kroonstad. But we were met with more red. The wind at altitude was left to right (north westerly-ish), so I decided to route left of track in the hopes that the weather would move past and we could skirt around it.

Well, turns out a lot of it wasn't thunderstorms, but rather sand storms. And we wound up going all the way around past Klerksdorp. Just a little off track.  :patch:
But when we could finally turn back to Lanseria we picked up a lekker tailwind, so at the end of the day our little diversion (of about 120km) only added 10 minutes to our flying time.

It was quite something seeing brown everywhere. And when we punched out of the sand into blue skies it was as if the world had been washed.

I last saw wall of sand similar to that in Botswana around 2016 or so. I can't find the photos now.  ???

So overall, a lekker day of flying!

It has been pouring with rain all day, with weather warnings for tomorrow. I drove a friend from Lanseria to OR Tambo this morning and traffic was a nightmare! Accidents everywhere.

Now I am back in my room in Lanseria, listening to the rain. We are due to fly back to PE on Sunday, but might get to do one or two flights in the area before then.

Anyone need a seat to PE? Let me know and I will get details of the cost.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1330 on: December 04, 2019, 06:25:15 pm »
1.) Between the layers of cloud
2.) Lots of sand
3.) Punching out of the sand
4.) Beautiful day!

From cold, rainy and windy PE to hot and clear Lanseria.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #1331 on: December 05, 2019, 08:41:34 am »
Very cool pics. Crazy about those dust storms, what altitude was that at?
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1332 on: December 05, 2019, 12:09:01 pm »
Thanks for sharing!

"Airborne in 160m"...Geez!  :o

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #1333 on: December 05, 2019, 12:20:16 pm »
Yesterday was windy. Really windy.
The day's flying should be fun, with Windy showing 40kts at cruising altitude, and 30kits on the ground.
We flew from Kwandwe to PE in the morning. Despite the wind, we found ourselves between layers of stable cloud, so it was a smooth flight.
When we descended below the clouds for the approach into PE we were met with the sight of a ferocious sea. It was more white than blue. Over 20 big ships were anchored in the bay, with many smaller vessels getting thrown about too. The wind was pretty much a due westerly, so I figured trying to get into the harbour was more dangerous than staying in the bay?

Fortunately one of the runways in PE is almost East-West (080/260 degrees), so the landing wasn't too hairy. It was a slow approach, our groundspeed sitting between 45 and 50kts. Yeaha!

We dropped our passengers, refueled, got some padkos and coffee, and set off for Lanseria.
Our indicated airspeed registered 30kts while we were stopped on the runway! We were airborne within 160m. I hadn't even set take-off power. I love this plane! We then climbed like a fart in a bath, at about 1800fpm (feet per minute).
The performance figures in the aircraft manual give a take off ground roll of about 400m in still-wind conditions.

When I checked the enroute weather that morning, all looked good- a bit of cloud, but Lanseria was clear.
We cruised between layers of cloud, but as we got closer to Bloemfontein the sky got darker.

I fired up the weather radar and we were met with red splotches. Red isn't good. Don't push the red button, and don't fly towards/through/near the red splotches. Bloemfontein ATC (air traffic control) gave us a more direct routing to Lanseria, which would have taken us close to Kroonstad. But we were met with more red. The wind at altitude was left to right (north westerly-ish), so I decided to route left of track in the hopes that the weather would move past and we could skirt around it.

Well, turns out a lot of it wasn't thunderstorms, but rather sand storms. And we wound up going all the way around past Klerksdorp. Just a little off track.  :patch:
But when we could finally turn back to Lanseria we picked up a lekker tailwind, so at the end of the day our little diversion (of about 120km) only added 10 minutes to our flying time.

It was quite something seeing brown everywhere. And when we punched out of the sand into blue skies it was as if the world had been washed.

I last saw wall of sand similar to that in Botswana around 2016 or so. I can't find the photos now.  ???

So overall, a lekker day of flying!

It has been pouring with rain all day, with weather warnings for tomorrow. I drove a friend from Lanseria to OR Tambo this morning and traffic was a nightmare! Accidents everywhere.

Now I am back in my room in Lanseria, listening to the rain. We are due to fly back to PE on Sunday, but might get to do one or two flights in the area before then.

Anyone need a seat to PE? Let me know and I will get details of the cost.

would be cool to know what an estimate cost is for a seat....organise a booze cruise  :deal:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1334 on: December 05, 2019, 01:56:56 pm »
@Kortbroek , we had dropped down to 9500ft by that stage.

@EssBee , I know, right!  :ricky:
Thank you for reading :)

@Knucklhead , I don't have exact figures, but I would hazard a guess of about R9000-12 000/hr operating costs. If it's a short hop (30min), we can take 12 people.
Longer legs, 8-10 people.
But if you are seriously interested I can get quotes from the Sales team.  :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1335 on: December 06, 2019, 12:03:00 pm »
Yesterday I finally got to meet another Wilddog - Tom Van Brits.

Tom is someone who helped me with my running and motivation in general without even realising it. He is also one of those really down to earth, helpful people. Like most people on this Forum.

Anyway, I had ordered some stuff from the US, and Tom kindly brought it across for me.
The original plan was to do the Hennops Hiking Trail, but all of the rain washed that idea out of the window. We also wanted to do a Parkrun, but I wasn't sure of my work schedule, so I suggested we do our own "Parkrun" in case I had to leave before Saturday.

Tom came up with the idea of running around the Hartebeespoort Dam. I have never been in the area so I readily agreed!
The weather forecast wasn't looking good, but we were both happy to run anyway. What's a bit of rain.

The drive through to Harties from Lanseria was beautiful. Lots of greenery. I had no idea how beautiful the area is. I see Gauteng as one big, flat, brown place. Gauteng, North West, all the same. So I was very surprised!

We met at the Wimpy, and I geared up in my raincoat while Tom swapped his riding pants for running shorts.

And we set off, at a nice easy pace.
I am always nervous running with others as I consider myself a slow runner and I don't want to hold anyone up.
But with Tom, I didn't have any of those fears. We set off and fell into an easy pace. I felt REALLY good. Fresh air, cool rain, even the traffic didn't bother me. My legs felt good, my lungs felt good, and with every step, don't laugh, my soul felt good.

I have been doing less running, I find I lack the motivation these days. But yesterday morning was just WOW!
We chatted about all sorts of stuff as we ran, and I juggled focusing on the road, the conversation, the view, and not tripping over my own feet.

The km's ticked by (I later realised it felt so easy because we were going downhill)... and before I knew it we were at the dam wall. Some of the sluice gates were open, and we soaked in the view and chatted. I cannot believe how beautiful it is. Tom advised that in winter it gets dry and brown, but still. Right then I felt like I was in a scene of Jurassic Park - green hills with clouds floating by.

Well-rested, we turned around and started our run back. Uphill. I was a bit apprehensive, but it wasn't that bad. We stopped now and then so I could take photos, and Tom told me all about the snake/animal park, which is now on my list of "Must visit" places.

We were back at the Wimpy too soon, a lovely 6km run done. We sat down outside (the staff thought we were crazy), hot coffee in hand and chatted some more. Tom told me a bit about his story and I found he is one of those people who has a really interesting story and is happy to share if asked, but will otherwise  prefer to listen rather than talk. Such a humble guy.

It rained on and off, but we were both content outside under the dripping umbrella.
Eventually though, we said our farewells.
I was on such a high though.

I made my way back to Lanseria slowly, stopping at all of the padstals. There is a massive stall with a windmill and all sorts of edible delights, including MASSIVE loaves of bread. I was blown away by the thatch roof though, wow!

I stopped in at another padstal for what looked like it could be THE chicken pie. Alas, it lacked seasoning.

Eventually I got back to my accommodation and unpacked my goodies. As well as a gift from the Zogs. Wow. Totally unexpected. Somehow that room got very dusty because my eyes just started tearing up.
Along with two Zog stickers, Gary and Alex included some other thoughtful gifts. Wow, wow, wow! I cannot begin to word my appreciation.

Gary and Alex, like Tom, are the type of people who help no matter what. I first met them in 2015 when Gary helped me with kit for my Kilimanjaro trip.

I am still on a high from yesterday, I can't describe it. So @Tom van Brits THANK YOU! That easily ranks as one of the best runs I have ever had!

Photos to follow later  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1336 on: December 06, 2019, 12:37:57 pm »
NICE  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1337 on: December 06, 2019, 12:45:26 pm »
Sounds like an absolutely magical day. Can't wait for the photo's ;D

You're not anywhere near Somerset West next Wednesday eve, by any chance?

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #1338 on: December 06, 2019, 02:22:25 pm »
Nice! Haven't met Tom yet but also following his adventures!  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1339 on: December 06, 2019, 06:46:55 pm »
Yes it was indeed a beautiful memorable day, and sure thing one of the best runs ever!!  :laughing4:
I have been following this thread for years, one of my favorite and so good to finally meet Heather in person  :thumleft:

Who of us haven't dreamed of becoming a pilot? Yesterday I have learned that it's in her genes since her dad has also been a livelong pilot!
I have told her about Sakkie van der Merwe who is also considered to be a legendary pilot - I had the privilege to meet him on a regular basis in Sudan after he retired flying boeing in SA and then flown smaller (still big in my frame of reference though) twins for the United Nations till nobody wanted to risk wrt his age.
Sadly we all have (if I may put it like this?) a sell by date with regards to our careers  :lol8:

Sadine I know you are going to climb that ladder, and I see you already as a very successful pilot. I am sure even though your thread is called 'My African dream' that well see you one day flying in the international arena. That of course if you want that, since you are already doing good here in Africa!  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine