Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 169973 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1440 on: February 06, 2020, 02:37:08 pm »
Buscopan will be going in my race kit
Immodium  :thumleft: , whatever you pull in as nutrition, if it is solids make sure if it is hard to digest - 2hrs before, easily digestible - 1 hr before. Remember that digesting food takes a lot of energy and takes blood away from the rest of your body and to your abdominal organs.

Immodium will also go in. I carry it in my flight bag but never thought to include it in my outdoor adventures kit.
So I normally have some oats with a bit of honey or peanut butter about 1-1.5hrs before.

I will try a banana before a parkrun and see how that goes.

You probably know Sardine, but coffee acts as a mild laxative and when you get nervous like before a sport event that is usually amplified. I don't have coffee prior to a race and I am a coffeeholic :deal: :imaposer:

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1441 on: February 06, 2020, 07:53:48 pm »
Buscopan will be going in my race kit
Immodium  :thumleft: , whatever you pull in as nutrition, if it is solids make sure if it is hard to digest - 2hrs before, easily digestible - 1 hr before. Remember that digesting food takes a lot of energy and takes blood away from the rest of your body and to your abdominal organs.

Immodium will also go in. I carry it in my flight bag but never thought to include it in my outdoor adventures kit.
So I normally have some oats with a bit of honey or peanut butter about 1-1.5hrs before.

I will try a banana before a parkrun and see how that goes.

You probably know Sardine, but coffee acts as a mild laxative and when you get nervous like before a sport event that is usually amplified. I don't have coffee prior to a race and I am a coffeeholic :deal: :imaposer:

Ja, thatís why I normally make a weak cup.
I canít not have coffee  :lol8:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1442 on: February 06, 2020, 07:55:37 pm »
One Mile A Day

In January I set myself the goal of walking/jogging/running at least 1 mile per day, every day, for the month of February.

After February, the goal will be every day in March, and so on.

My hope is to get the habit well-established so that by the time winter comes along, I will focus on the goal rather than excuses to get out of going out into the cold.

Why 1 mile?
Psychologically, it seems more do able than 2km, for example. It is a small, achievable goal. It doesnít take a lot of time, and I know I can take a slow 1 mile walk even if I donít feel 100% (within reason).

Why not set yourself the same goal? Or if 1 mile seems too much, start with 1 block. 1 lap around the park. 1 lap around the garden. It doesnít matter how far or how long you go- just start with 1. One step. One day at a time.

Set an achievable goal. There is no competition. No one is going to judge you.
In the beginning it will feel like a drag. You will find excuses not to go.
But stick with it. Hold yourself accountable. And after a few days, you will find yourself not only looking forward to your 1 mile (or block, park walk etc), but actually making time for it.

Ready. Set. Go.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1443 on: February 06, 2020, 07:57:41 pm »
1 February
I started this goal off with a bang, and didnít do just 1 mile, but 13 miles!

Great fun!

The following users thanked this post: Dupie2

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1444 on: February 06, 2020, 07:58:55 pm »
2 February
Feeling very tender after my half-marathon.
I took a slow walk around the neighbourhood. It really helped ease the aches in my muscles, and the slow pace meant I took in small things, like the colourful flowers blooming on the trees and growing next to the road.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1445 on: February 06, 2020, 08:00:34 pm »
3 February

Not feeling as tender today but I still took it easy. And I deliberately didnít pack my running shoes for my PE night stop (forcing myself to walk).
Blue skies, no wind, and at 6am already warming up!
What a beautiful morning to walk along the PE beachfront. I didnít want to atop, but alas, work beckons.

Today reminded me of my walks along the Sea Point Promenade. Only here, people are friendly and greet you, and there is a long stretch of beach to walk on.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1446 on: February 06, 2020, 08:01:31 pm »
4 February

An early morning hike before the heat set in. Great route in the Oldenburgia Mountains. And then some history. We visited the cathedral (wow!) and even got to see the bells and clock mechanism.
We then headed to the Observatory Museum and got to see a camera obscura in action.

Quite a productive day!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1447 on: February 06, 2020, 08:02:24 pm »
5 February

When I moved to Grahamstown in August, I was keen to check out the Parkrun, which runs through the botanical gardens. Despite being very dry, I found the gardens beautiful and vowed to go back and just wander around.

Today I finally did. The place has been transformed from all of the rain, and I noticed so many little tracks and paths and areas that normally flash by during Parkrun, or are completely hidden. I am very glad I took the time out to take this walk!

What a gem.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1448 on: February 06, 2020, 08:03:53 pm »
6 February

A walk in the drizzle. With a bit of running and sliding in the mud thrown in. And not a soul in sight. About 5 minutes after I got home it started raining. Good timing! 😎

Offline Karel84

« Reply #1449 on: February 06, 2020, 08:34:50 pm »
This is some awesome stuff. After reading about your half marathon, I've convinced myself to start running competitively. I'll start with running the parkrun more often, then a 10k'er and eventually hopefully a half marathon.

Thanks for the motivation

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1450 on: February 06, 2020, 08:55:20 pm »
You are very organized Sardine, I suck at goals and am much more impulsive in my approach to fitness.
Recently I've joined a 5am group and we run 3 x a week at 5am.
Well, at first I did not really like it all that much but now it has grown on me to the extend where I am looking fw to the next run.
A lot of motivation and drive, but without pressure. I can live with that.
I dont know if it will be worth your while to try and commit to a group or club?
Also depends on your work which can change on short notice I believe.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1451 on: February 07, 2020, 06:11:15 am »
This is some awesome stuff. After reading about your half marathon, I've convinced myself to start running competitively. I'll start with running the parkrun more often, then a 10k'er and eventually hopefully a half marathon.

Thanks for the motivation

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

This is awesome, Karel!  :ricky:
Please keep us updated on your progress  :thumleft:

And thank you. It motivates me to know I have motivated someone else.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1452 on: February 07, 2020, 06:13:32 am »
You are very organized Sardine, I suck at goals and am much more impulsive in my approach to fitness.
Recently I've joined a 5am group and we run 3 x a week at 5am.
Well, at first I did not really like it all that much but now it has grown on me to the extend where I am looking fw to the next run.
A lot of motivation and drive, but without pressure. I can live with that.
I dont know if it will be worth your while to try and commit to a group or club?
Also depends on your work which can change on short notice I believe.

Thank you Tom.
It is more organized chaos most of the time.
I really enjoy the feeling of pushing myself, and have begun setting higher and higher goals.
But, as you have seen with this thread and my blog, I can be very inconsistent.

I am not working much, so I need some sort of structure. And the O-MAD goal gives me something to do each day. Plus, it's actually fun! :)

I am in the process of applying to join the local running club. It is just a heap of paperwork!

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #1453 on: February 07, 2020, 08:33:24 am »
One Mile A Day
Ready. Set. Go.

What an awesome idea!   :thumleft:   :thumleft:

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1454 on: February 07, 2020, 01:57:44 pm »
Much appreciated, @0012 !

7 February

One week in!
I have reached the point where my day doesnít feel complete without my walk/run/jog.
We have had drizzle and rain, and it is cooler than yesterday.
I headed to gym, and figured I would do a jog on the treadmill. But I am trying to follow a rough weekly routine to try and build speed and strength with my running.
Today is ďFartlek FridayĒ.
Nothing hectic, just a bit of fun really. Changing up speeds and climbs and descents. So, despite the drizzle I hit the pavement and ran around some of the Rhodes University buildings. It was quite fun and on some of my sprints I managed a pace of 4:00/km, which is very fast for me! 

Due to the intensity of the run, I didnít take photos during the run. But I did take these after.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1455 on: February 09, 2020, 05:24:11 pm »
9 February

A great day out with the Oldenburgia Hiking Club. We took to the Albany Trails just outside of Port Alfred.
There were 3 route options (12km, 7km and 4km), and we split into two groups - 12km and 7km.

The weather played along and we had a fun day out with river crossings, mud, bugs and insects, and of course, sharing adventure with like-minded individuals.

I cycled this route last week and didnít enjoy it- it has a lot of technical areas and every time I got into the flow I had to stop and walk a section. But as a hike- awesome!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1456 on: February 10, 2020, 09:08:48 pm »
10 February

Took it easy today.
A nice slow 1.7km walk around a different part of town.
From tree-lined walkways to the oldest postbox in South Africa, to the South African Museum of Literature (which looks really out of place after all the old stone buildings).

The post box manufacture date is between 1857 and 1859. It was brought to South Africa in 1859/60.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1457 on: February 10, 2020, 09:13:50 pm »
Interesting, and on Tristan da Cuna Island is also a very similar looking postbox. It felt special to make use of it!
Probably imported from England.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1458 on: February 11, 2020, 03:06:11 am »
In a couple of months it will be the Grahamstown Festival.

Apparently this is an annual event that people from all over the world come to...  :sip:

I have never been, but my ex did make the trip several times.

I'd love to hear your take on it  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1459 on: February 11, 2020, 08:24:49 pm »
11 February

Today was an early start. Multiple cups of coffee were required to kickstart the brain.

Last week I wanted to sign up to the Athletics Association of South Africa, but you need to be a member of a running club.
So I signed up to the local running club, and they start their weekly time trials down the road from my house, which is really convenient.

This afternoon I took a jog down to their meeting point, met some of the other club members, and then walked back home. A really nice, short walk and such a beautiful evening to be out.

Hopefully from next week I can join in on their runs.