Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 188529 times)

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1520 on: February 25, 2020, 08:53:40 pm »
Nice to follow your escapades!
I also got some excersize today, 3 loads of sand 2 of poles and then a high level security meeting!
I am not sure what made me the most tired! :ricky: :peepwall:
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1521 on: February 26, 2020, 09:00:15 pm »
26 February

Almost the end of the month!
I decided to combine my walk with some errands which worked out perfectly.
The distance was exactly 1 mile, and I arrived right on time for my optometristís appointment.

Unfortunately this meant I missed out on the free coffee in the waiting room. And it smelt really good too! I might just pop around for a social visit...

But I did get to see a really cool photo of my eye. Who would have thought Iíd get such a comprehensive eye test in Grahamstown 😎

One of the receptionists had a nice tattoo. Normally I notice these things but am too shy to say anything. Today I decided to speak up, and say I liked the tattoo. Her smile made my day, and she was so appreciative of the compliment.

Maybe March will be 1 mile + 1 compliment for a stranger a day.
Itís amazing how much a little kindness can brighten someoneís day!

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1522 on: February 27, 2020, 07:47:16 am »
Your eye is very vein.

Elevator compliments are fun. When someone's shirt, sneakers, or whatever catches my eye, I comment with enthusiasm. Breaks awkward silence and adds a smile to the day.

Have fun with your (s)mile today :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1523 on: February 27, 2020, 11:14:20 am »
But I did get to see a really cool photo of my eye. Who would have thought Iíd get such a comprehensive eye test in Grahamstown 😎

Hope it was a Mr Fourie that did the tests. Great guy and the son of our house doctor here in Stillbay. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1524 on: February 27, 2020, 09:59:17 pm »
@Ri  after waiting 1.5hrs for an appointment, all thoughts of complimenting people vanished from my mind. :(

@ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS , no sir, Trevor Davies. Also a very nice guy.

27 February

It felt a bit like I cheated with my walk. Up until now it has always been a continuous walk, but today I ran (haha) out of time. So I parked on the oooottther side of the shopping centre parking lot, and walked/ran from shop to shop in the pouring rain.

Then it was into the PE traffic, and more rain.
Eventually made it Grahamstown and hung off a climbing wall from a rope for a bit. It was quite fun and really helped to de-stress.
And now, sleep.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1525 on: February 28, 2020, 07:20:21 pm »
28 February

Yesterday was just one of those days. Today, while busy, went much better. Attitude adjustment? Different circumstances? Who knows.

While my weekend plans changed drastically, I was still able to make the most of the situation, and instead of hiking in the mountains got to cycle to the beach.

A tough cycle with a little headwind, but fun nonetheless! And to finish off the day, my 1 mile walk and a beautiful sunset. Boy did my legs feel that!

ó-
More to follow about the cycle.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1526 on: February 28, 2020, 10:36:54 pm »
So there we was. Cruising ek sÍ, on pristine gravel roads.

Not.

I was meant to go to Hogsback to hike and camp this weekend. But then there wouldnít be anyone to cover work should a flight come up. And I didnít really want to put in for leave as I am saving it for next month. I had a stressful day in PE yesterday. Showed up for an appointment 30min early (I like to allow 15 minutes to get lost) so I could do the necessary paperwork. That sorted I wait. And wait. 11:00, the time my appointment was schedule for, rolls on by. I wait. And wait. Eventually at 12:00, oh weíre ready for you now.
No communication. I could have got so much other stuff done in that time.

So my day took a bit of a dive from there. My 1 mile walk felt like I had cheated. So that wound me up. And then bam, into the 5pm traffic. In the rain.

I had planned on getting back to GHT by 16:00 so I could finish packing, make my snacks and meals for the trip, and then head to the climbing gym. The stress had mounted. I didnít get through my to do list, and today (Friday) I also had a heap to do. So I decided no, I wonít do the hike. I was really looking forward to it so it was a tough call, but I realised there was just too much stress. Also, it was quite expensive.

I arrived in GHT at 19:30.
And headed to the climbing gym. Got stuck 2m up a wall with no ropes. I donít like heights. I do this to try overcome my fear. Well, itís more that I donít like falling.
Luckily one of the guys could talk me down. Now I know just how long I can hold on. Literally.

Anyway, the climb improved my mood.

Today, I got all my tasks done.
And then joined @edgy for a cycle to the sea.
Now as Iím sure you know, Edgy is on his bike pretty much every day. And he is doing the Argus next week.
So, this wouldnít be my usual slow adventure type ride, but more of a training ride.

In my stressed state yesterday I packed like a twit. I didnít have the right shoes, I have somehow misplaced a bright green cycling shirt. Silly little things. Eventually I got myself sorted. And we set off from GHT.
I noted out set-ups. Edgy has the minimalist, race tupe setup, with only some water and a snack or two, and the bare essential bike repair stuff. I had my vest with snacks and Rehidrat, my bike loaded with two bottles of water, saddle bag, top tube bag... definitely more a chilled adventure set up.

Wheeeee! Down a steep hill. And then up and up and up. I warned Edgy I wasnít a strong climber, but that I would catch up on the flats. Well, I was near flat out half the time.

Edgy just cruised. Almost as if he was floating along. Not a care, his fork and rear shock soaking up the bumps in the road.
Me? I was hanging on, pedaling furiously downhill to try keep up, teeth clattering and bones jangling.

I fell back on the climbs (though I felt I climbed well today), and caught up on the flats. Only to see Edgy on his phone. Probably posting on the Photos That Make You Think WTF thread. While I wheezed and huffed and puffed. And cursed my decision to bring an apple with. While delicious, I found myself having to choose between chewing, not choking, breathing and pedaling.

Hard work that.
Anyway, it was a very lekker ride, even with the headwind. We made what I thought was good time. Next time I want to push for a sub 2h30. But it was exactly what I needed to clear my head and reset.

Online Wayne

« Reply #1527 on: February 29, 2020, 06:23:04 am »
That steep downhill sounds like the tar section we do on the G2C ride. It's followed by that steep hill that seems to go on forever and ever...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1528 on: February 29, 2020, 06:44:26 am »
That steep downhill sounds like the tar section we do on the G2C ride. It's followed by that steep hill that seems to go on forever and ever...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thatís the one.
Woest Hill. I have only cycled up it once. Took my about an hour, and I think it is 3km.
Great training for Suikerbossie and the Argus. Though I didnít mind Suikerbossie. It was having to pedal to get down Chapmanís Peak that nearly killed me.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1529 on: February 29, 2020, 11:40:08 am »
Woest(e) Hill.

fixed ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1530 on: February 29, 2020, 12:09:01 pm »
Ok, so clearly I need to stop posting in the early hours of the morning, and late at night  :lol8:
The typos. Eish. And using a cellphone doesnít help. Anyone want to sponsor me one of those Microsoft Surafce things. Or even an iPad mini would be grand!  :deal:
Iím sure someone must have a tablet or netbook lying around that they donít use.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1531 on: February 29, 2020, 06:11:23 pm »
29 February

Headed to Port Alfred for the Parkrun with Edgy and his family.
I didnít plan on running it. I was feeling sore. Not my legs but my arms.
It was a beautiful morning with no wind and the humidity wasnít too bad. I havenít done the Port Alfred run before. Wow! Beautiful! You run along the river and while there isnít a lot of space, there arenít too many people either.

We set off and I found myself keeping up with Edgy. Ah well, may as well run then.

Long story short, managed to push through and pass one of the guys who were at time trials on Tuesday. Ha!
And finished with a time of 28:35. So close to my all time PB of 28:07.
Darn! So close!

But Iím very happy.

Then I realised I was just short of 300km of hiking/cycling/walking/running/indoor rowing for February...
So I hopped on the fatbike and cycle 7km. Bam. Shortest month, and most km clocked ever.

Needless to say, I am going to sleep well tonight!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1532 on: March 01, 2020, 09:20:48 pm »
1 March

Letís keep the momentum.

Took today as a rest day. Walked to the beach a few times, and even went swimming twice.

Sea water helped a lot of the aches from the cycling and running.

Tomorrow it is back to reality.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1533 on: March 02, 2020, 04:11:30 am »
Those pics look like Kasouga!

The blind river (that only flows out once a year or so after a heavy rain) from the top of the dune, and the walk through the woods, I seem to remember it's called the cathedral or something? It's been around 15 years since I was there  :peepwall:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1534 on: March 02, 2020, 01:45:49 pm »

The blind river (that only flows out once a year or so after a heavy rain) from the top of the dune, and the walk through the woods, I seem to remember it's called the cathedral or something? It's been around 15 years since I was there  :peepwall:

Sharp eye, and memory, Gary! You're 100% correct there.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #1535 on: March 02, 2020, 03:25:55 pm »
I'm still following with intent!!!   :ricky:

I'm not sure if the intent is to join the mile a day thing, or just to follow the story   :lol8:

Thanks Sardine, keep it coming!

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1536 on: March 02, 2020, 07:40:56 pm »
Give it a try, @0012 , you never know  :thumleft:

2 March

Weekend at the sea has come to an end.
The break was most welcome, and much needed.
Got some house chores done, and even went to gym and the climbing clubz

And it seems the stomach bug that has been doing the rounds in the Western Cape has arrived  :-[
I was going to go hiking tomorrow, but that might not happen.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1537 on: March 03, 2020, 02:37:23 am »

Sharp eye, and memory, Gary! You're 100% correct there.

:biggrin:

Is shiprock still standing? Just a few hundred meters up the coast from the Kasouga beach?

I always wanted to hike from Kasouga to Kenton along the beach... may be a nice walk / bigwheel bike ride?
With fishing stops along the way  :peepwall: :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1538 on: March 03, 2020, 09:24:41 pm »
3 March

It was an unpleasant night and a go-slow day.
Hopefully I will be good to go for the 8km night race on Thursday!

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #1539 on: March 04, 2020, 06:08:51 am »
I hope you debug the bug!
Just make sure you keep your fluids up!
Dakar 650
SR 500