Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 228146 times)

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1580 on: March 17, 2020, 09:20:33 pm »
17 March

I see fields of green... a great morning. Good cloud build-up as the day progressed. Lots of thunder and lightning around Grahamstown, but alas, no decent rain.

At least today was nice and warm. I’m not looking forward to winter!

Day finished off with a fantastic dinner at friends.

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1581 on: March 20, 2020, 08:34:16 pm »
 :eek7:
Oops, I am well behind!

18 March
A long, busy day!

19 March
Winter is coming :(

20 March

Very thankful for an observant petrol attendant who noticed my car’s tyre was delaminating. I thought the wobble was just because the tyres weren’t balanced! Fortunately there was a Supa Quick across the road.

Nap time. Spot the dog.

Offline Ri

« Reply #1582 on: March 20, 2020, 10:10:34 pm »
Good going with the challenge  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1583 on: March 21, 2020, 03:07:35 am »
Sardine!!!  :eek7:

You need to do an inspection of your car, just like you do an inspection of your aircraft  :deal:

A worn tyre like that can have very ugly consequences  :o

You take very good care of your self, and your aircraft. Take care of your car too  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1584 on: March 21, 2020, 11:03:58 am »
You need to do an inspection of your car,

You need to go visit Throttle Jockey pronto!! :deal: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1585 on: March 21, 2020, 09:04:20 pm »
21 March
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:47:15 pm by Sardine »

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1586 on: March 22, 2020, 08:49:00 pm »
22 March

My shoulder was really sore yesterday. I couldn’t even turn my head without pain. Fortunately today went better, and I even did a bit of jogging while out on Mountain Drive.

After the sun had set a storm rolled by. There was lots of thunder and a little lightning, but only a few drops of rain.

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1587 on: March 23, 2020, 06:23:51 pm »
23 March

Keep on keeping on.

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1588 on: March 23, 2020, 07:34:21 pm »
@Mr Zog, I check the oil and water ever morning. But will be including tyres now.

@ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS , I was out of town when the tyre happened, so had to make do with what was nearby.

@Ri thank you! And I have been investigating the FODMAP stuff  :thumleft:

@knucklehead yes, but it was my Mom's first visit there, so she didn't get to see those beautiful mountains.

@EssBee do it!

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1589 on: March 24, 2020, 09:38:41 am »
24 March

I am not worried about the virus itself. But, having been in contact with tourists at airports, I am being cautious for the sake of others.

It is the uncertainty that gets to me. Should I stay put? Should I pack up and at least get into the same province as the majority of my family? What does my employer want me to do? What am I going to do with my time? How can I remain productive? What is my reason to get out of bed?

It is unsettling, not knowing.

So I took a walk. The streets feel eerily quiet. The weather is somber and cold. But the fresh air cleared my head a little, and for 50 minutes, I focused on picking out the colour, rather than thinking of the “what if’s” and unknowns.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race Dog
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #1590 on: March 24, 2020, 12:36:02 pm »
What am I going to do with my time? How can I remain productive? What is my reason to get out of bed?

Good question.

I have to work still.
But if I had a job I couldn't do from home, I think I would try set aside time to do nothing (not be productive in the capitalist sense), time to visualise etc maybe one can call it meditate. I'm sounding airy fairy and this is maybe only applicable to me, but this could be a perfect time to re-calibrate and reset our lives, our career paths and how we do things, how we interact with people and the world's systems and how we earn a living.

Something like that, I don't know what I mean, ramblings...
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1591 on: March 24, 2020, 04:52:34 pm »
 How can I remain productive? What is my reason to get out of bed?

Breakfast is a good enough reason for me and the fear of peeing in bed!! ;) :lol8:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:53:19 pm by ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS »
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline >>Thump°C

« Reply #1592 on: March 24, 2020, 05:28:42 pm »
 How can I remain productive? What is my reason to get out of bed?

Set a time to:
catch up on Ride reports
Research areas you had an interest in, but never actually spent time on.
Research outlooks that you've always disagreed with, to try and understand their points of view.
Make sure you get up and sit at a table or desk when on PC.
Make your bed in a different way each day.
Ride a book on indoor exercises that help with stretching and self defense,
Make sure TV and PC or always in a different room.
Get out of bed upside down on the wrong side yet remain happy all day.
And break other myths like that, :)

Let me know how it goes, I'd never do that rubbish, LOL

Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1593 on: March 25, 2020, 03:45:57 am »
24 March

I am not worried about the virus itself. But, having been in contact with tourists at airports, I am being cautious for the sake of others.

It is the uncertainty that gets to me. Should I stay put? Should I pack up and at least get into the same province as the majority of my family? What does my employer want me to do? What am I going to do with my time? How can I remain productive? What is my reason to get out of bed?

It is unsettling, not knowing.

So I took a walk. The streets feel eerily quiet. The weather is somber and cold. But the fresh air cleared my head a little, and for 50 minutes, I focused on picking out the colour, rather than thinking of the “what if’s” and unknowns.

Sardine this is a very deep and beutiful post, and I'm not concerned about you making the decisions because I know you'll be ok!  :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1594 on: March 25, 2020, 03:34:35 pm »
When you have to be up early to fly the Caravan to Lanseria. Then drive to OR Tambo. To catch an airline back to PE. So you can drive to the Western Cape... there is not much time for walking.

So I have been pacing the OR Tambo terminal to get my mile in. And of course, people-watching.

The announcements are like something out of a sci-fi movie. This really calm voice. Calm and yet has this tone of “this is the end!”

You’re going to The Island.

Everyone is coughing and sneezing into their elbows. And then greeting by means of elbow taps 🤦🏼‍♀️

Half the people have their masks covering their chins. What, is your chin cold? Don’t want to get your beard hairs in your food? Or have you adapted to breathe through your chin?

A guy eats his burger. With his hands. After touching the table. Menu. Seat. Salt and pepper. Etc.
He then pays with his card. His left hand is gloved. His right hand is not. He uses his right hand to punch in his pin.

People are opening and closing swing doors. Flat palm against the door.
Hullo! Use your shoulder peeps.

People are masked up and looking like bandits in a budget movie... while leaning against handrails, touching their faces, handling books.

Come on folks. Think a little here.
Unless you suspect that you are carrying the virus, the mask and gloves aren’t really necessary: you are touching your face with the same gloved hand that just touched the hand rail/trolley etc.

It is quite funny to watch though.

Offline Ri

« Reply #1595 on: March 25, 2020, 03:51:01 pm »
I'm not so worried about the elbow bumps, the virus should die before it's crawled up your arm to get to your face. But that guy eating his burger with his hands...  :bueller:

Will you be in Somerset West for lock down? Will you be able to keep up the mile-a-minute day challenge?

Welcome home, by the way :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1596 on: March 25, 2020, 03:53:49 pm »
Let’s see how we do here. Typing on my pone so sorry about typos.

After Ramaphosa’s address, I packed half my closet. Just in case. I didn’t sleep much that night.

Yesterday mid-morning my boss phoned.
“Bring the Caravan back to Lanseria. We will fly you back to PE. And then you must go home.”
Eish. My mind kicked into overdrive.
Today? I need a car to get to PE. No wait, I can take my own car.
Can I fly single crew? My colleague was packing up and planned on hitting the road back home that afternoon.

I was in town so I phoned my colleague and asked him to do the planning. And I dashed home.
And then I thought, wait. There is no point in me driving to PE, flying to Lanseria, flying back to PE, driving to Grahamstown, packing up, then driving home.

And afternoon thunderstorms were forecast.
So instead, I packed. It took hours and I don’t know why- there are only 4 boxes and two suitcases. And the office- printer, laptop, whiteboards. Just like that, the house was empty.
I eventually hit the road to PE at 18:00 yesterday evening.

This morning I flew the Caravan to Lanseria. What a perfect morning. No wind, very few bumps, few clouds. I flew single crew. My first tome flying the Caravan alone in over 2 years. It was bliss.

Half way into the 3hr flight I realized I had forgotten to unpack the biggest whiteboard from my car 🤦🏼‍♀️ Guess I have a whiteboard now 🤣

I also clocked 100hrs on the C208B EX.
In Botswana I flew the C208B “legacy” and “G1000”.
Legacy has old school instruments.
G1000 has 3 glass panels.
The EX is a G1000 with a more powerful engine (200hp more) and a higher take off weight.
So I think my total Caravan time is just shy of 500hrs now.

After getting to Lanseria I said good bye to the plane. I don’t know when I will fly it again. I had resigned effective from May, but wasn’t ready for this to happen so soon. But, I am hoping I still get to fly her a few more times.

Then it was on the road to OR Tambo. My sister, niece and BIL were in Kruger and flew back to CT today. So I managed to catch them before the departed on their flight. It was tough, not being able to pick my niece up or hug her.

Now I am waiting for my flight out at 18:00.
And thinking and reflecting.

I was going to do my B1900 rating in May, in the hopes of fulfilling a bucket list goal- fly B1900’s on contract. But the contract companies have been hit hard. So things are very uncertain. I might do the rating anyway, then I will be ready should anyone need a pilot.

Tomorrow I will start driving.
I will go to a friend’s farm in Wilderness and take it from there. I can at least keep busy by helping to feed the animals and do odd jobs. And I will have space to study. Back at home... well GHT feels like home. But, WC home, I would only have my old room which is small, and be in a crowded house. And at least if they put a ban on jogging and cycling, I can still get out and do that without leaving the farm.

And if I have to get to my family, I am only a 5hr drive away. Provided they allow travel within the province.

I feel better now that I sort of have a plan.
But I did not want to leave GHT like that. I couldn’t say good bye to anyone. I am paying rent on a house I am not living in.
But, I will be back. I have to go back - I had to leave some boxes behind 😅

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1597 on: March 25, 2020, 03:55:01 pm »
I'm not so worried about the elbow bumps, the virus should die before it's crawled up your arm to get to your face. But that guy eating his burger with his hands...  :bueller:

Will you be in Somerset West for lock down? Will you be able to keep up the mile-a-minute day challenge?

Welcome home, by the way :thumleft:

@Ri  my paramedic friend had said the latest research shows the virus can survive on a surface for up to 5 days...

See latest post on my plans 😊
Not home yet. Soon

Offline Ri

« Reply #1598 on: March 25, 2020, 04:45:56 pm »
@Ri  my paramedic friend had said the latest research shows the virus can survive on a surface for up to 5 days...

See latest post on my plans 😊
Not home yet. Soon

Farm is better than city any time. I wish I could've left to NC with my family this morning :(

Study shows 3 days but I guess better to err on the side of caution. Why the heck don't they look at virus survival on clothes?!! Since that is how it'll get into my home - on my skin or my clothes :-[

Enjoy your extended farm stay and all the best for your studies.

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1599 on: March 25, 2020, 05:16:29 pm »
1.) Bye for now, PE. Or at least, bye from the cockpit of the Caravan.

2.) Beautiful green mountains

3.) Somerset East