Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 188538 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1640 on: April 07, 2020, 10:11:07 am »
7 April

A bit chilly today.
Probably shouldnít have baked those muffins this morning... there might be none left come this afternoon!

Iím going to have to walk laps around the house to get the step count up 🤣

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1641 on: April 07, 2020, 06:08:07 pm »
Winner winner!

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #1642 on: April 07, 2020, 06:24:26 pm »
 :thumleft:  did you find where the wire came out ?
Rallye

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1643 on: April 07, 2020, 06:53:48 pm »
Thank you for the input, folks!

This evening I got stuck into this again as the rain finally let up.

So, I managed to get the do-dad's and the little box out. That made life MUCH easier! And I didn't even break any little plastic clips  :deal:

When taking the box out (red arrow), the red wire at the top popped out too. Ah-ha. Problem 1.
It took me a while to figure out how it was secured, and once I did, I saw the same fitting at the bottom.

So, I held the original red wire at the top, making contact with the little fitting things.
And I held the Live wire from the sensor at the bottom fitting thing.

Clear prop. Contact! I could hear the relay in the sensor click. Yes!

Both contacts, and the red wire were badly corroded. Fortunately there was sandpaper on hand, as I spent the morning assembling and sanding wooden frames for beehives  :patch:
I cleaned up the contacts and the red wire.

And we tested. There was power. At first it seemed like the pillar lights would just come on all the time, but it turned out the sensor needed about 20 seconds to adjust as I covered/uncovered it.
For good measure, I stripped some of the Live wire from the sensor, so there would be maximum contact as I couldn't get everything completely clean and corrosion-free.

We tested multiple times and all seemed to be working as it should  :ricky:

I clicked what had to be clicked back into place, tried to get the wires in neatly, and closed up. Only to realise I had put the switch/breaker off. So I opened up, put the switch on, and closed up again.

Woohoo!

Super chuffed  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry, I only saw now the photo is on its side.

Most likely the original sensor was fine. But the live wire from the sensor was loose. And the live wire from the power source was loose/corroded.

---

Got a fair bit done today, despite it being cold and wet.
Did my walk early.
Made the beehive frames.
Sorted out chicken coops with fresh saw dust for the nesting boxes.
Read half a page of Beechcraft 1900 stuff.
Had a loooooong video chat with my niece. She is so awesome.
And got the light sorted.

Oh, and I went to the shops.

Tomorrow, there is a water pipe to be fixed, and a grass cutting thingamajig (I forget the correct term) attached to a tractor that needs to be repaired; a skid keeps pulling free of the bolts. I am thinking it's time to practice my arc welding  :pot:
And I need to study some more.

My shoulder has been better today, but my leg is killing me.
I pulled something last week. After describing the pain to the biokineticist I was seeing in Grahamstown, she reckons I have pulled my calf muscle. Folks, it is agony. If I so much as lightly touch the back of my leg below the knee, I want to go through the roof!
So, no running for me, and only very slow walking. Not cool.

But, I am grateful that I at least have the space to go for slow walks.
I haven't tried cycling yet. Maybe tomorrow  :peepwall:

Yesterday I tried to install a new day/night switch. I mean, itís 3 wires. How hard could it be...

The old one is connected to a gate motor, to power two pillar lights. Every time you open the gate, the lights came on regardless of it it was day or night.

So, cleaned the spiderwebs out the box, took a photo of the old switch so I could see which wires went where. Bam.
Somehow gave a tug on something and a wire came out. Do you think I took a photo of where THAT wire went, nope, of course not. Itís the Live wire, and either went into a little box with a switch (red arrow), or a little do-dad attached to the little box (yellow arrow). It would help if I could get the boxes out but I canít figure out the clips.

Fitted the new switch, and tried the live wire at both above mentioned spots. No joy. Fitted the old switch. Nada, no lights at all.

Help!

Offline elandsrider

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #1644 on: April 07, 2020, 07:04:47 pm »
Now thatís how to do lock down
Well done sardine - great stories
Keep busy is the key / how are the shops in g town ?
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1645 on: April 07, 2020, 08:01:54 pm »
Now thatís how to do lock down
Well done sardine - great stories
Keep busy is the key / how are the shops in g town ?

I got out of Grahamstown the day before lockdown.

I sort of started packing a few days before. Then on the Monday (I think) mid-morning work phoned and said they wanted the aircraft brought back to Lanseria, and then I must go home.

So, mad rush, packed up my house. Got the plane to Lanseria, got myself back to PE, and drove to Wilderness where I am staying for lockdown. I was going to go home-home, but it would have meant being on a property with 3 other adults, one 3 year old, and 5 dogs. And I just wasn't up that mentally.

Friends in GHT say it is madness. Very strict, and often long queue's to get into the shops.
Very glad I didn't stay.

Offline elandsrider

« Reply #1646 on: April 07, 2020, 08:09:32 pm »
loojs like you have some space to move in
Be safe
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #1647 on: April 08, 2020, 08:48:41 am »
Enjoying the updates Sardine. This is becoming like a second Zog thread now, you just need to go find a lawnmower or two to fix up  :deal:
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1648 on: April 08, 2020, 03:10:36 pm »
@Kortbroek
There is a tractor which has become my nemesis.
The stupid thing is in dire need of TLC. Starting it is a mission. Keeping it going is another story.
I look forward to the day we get the mowing done. It has been a 10-day job so far 😒

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1649 on: April 08, 2020, 11:40:49 pm »
8 April

You know when time goes by fast, yet slow, at the same time. Yeah. How is it already a week into April?!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1650 on: April 09, 2020, 06:36:53 pm »
9 April

I will not be becoming a bee keeper.
Fortunately I am not allergic to beeís, but getting stung on the face, ear, hand and arm is no fun.

The honey is delicious though. But what a process to extract it.

Had a nice walk. The leg is feeling better but it is still a long way from being run-ready :(

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1651 on: April 10, 2020, 10:21:31 am »
Yesterday afternoon was not that much fun. I really enjoyed my walk, but my stings were starting to itch.

The last time I was stung by something, was a yellow-jacket type wasp around 2017. While my arm swelled massively, it was localised. But I have been extra cautious around bee's and wasps since then.

Obviously not cautious enough.
Last night was not fun. After tossing and turning and thinking it must be the early hours of the morning, I got up and saw it was only just ticking over to midnight. Great.
My face was feeling swollen, my ear is itching, and my right arm was itching from wrist to elbow, and also swollen.

I hit Google for home remedies. And took another antihistamine. Anti-inflammatories were recommended, so I scrounged around my first aid kit and found one. And germolene. And I don't know what else.

The face staring back at me in the mirror wasn't looking too hot, but at least I could see out of both eyes.

I decided I may as well pee, seeing as I was up. And as I sat down, I saw a nice big rain spider, not even 20cm from me. Thank goodness it was on the inside of the shower, otherwise I think I would have jumped out of my skin.

Slathered with cream and telling myself I am imagining the itch (mind over matter), I crawled back into bed and wrapped myself up in a bath towel so I wouldn't get cream all over the bedding.
I managed to sleep on and off. And I don't think I scratched the itches. That much.

When I woke up this morning... well. Call me "Puffy the honey bee slayer."
My eye is swollen shut. In fact, the whole left side of my face is swollen, from ear to jaw. Chewing feels weird. And any change in facial expression hurts a little. Fortunately my breathing is normal, and I don't think the swelling has reach my neck/throat.

My right arm is burning, and itching, and my wrist has swelled so much the diameter is about 1.5cm more than usual.
I am ready to crawl out of my skin, my arm is itching and burning so bad.

I am trying to smile, but it hurts. But if I don't smile, I will cry.

This sucks.

So, let's look at the positives...
Despite only being able to see out of one eye, I haven't walked into anything. And I made tea and coffee without spilling water. Thank goodness my touch-typing is pretty good too.
And every time my friend looks at me she has a good laugh.

Yeah, I can't think of any other positives right now.

I would really like to go get a good strong antihistamine or something, but I can't find a pharmacy that is open. Good Friday indeed.

And it is such a beautiful day, and I was looking forward to completing some more painting, gardening, and working on the forest trail. So I am feeling super glum. Mope, moan etc.

But on the bright side, I have temporarily forgotten about the pain in my leg!

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1652 on: April 10, 2020, 11:12:52 am »
I decided I may as well pee, seeing as I was up.

Hey little fish....your writing is getting as funny as Bozo's - very entertaining read this morning albeit at your expense ..... sorry  :imaposer:

Wishing you a speedy recovery
Ja/Nee

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1653 on: April 10, 2020, 12:38:23 pm »
Thanks TeeJay, I really appreciate it.

I used to be very shy and reserved, worried about what people might think, I guess. But I am learning that, at the end of the day, being blunt (sometimes brutally so), helps people relate. We have all been there, or are going to be there.

Glad I could give you a laugh  :thumleft:

I managed to get to a pharmacy before they closed, so I'm on the good stuff for the swelling and itching. Lets hope it kicks in soon!

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Online Wayne

« Reply #1654 on: April 10, 2020, 01:49:07 pm »
Yeah I agree with TeeJay. Your writing style has evolved and I am really enjoying it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1655 on: April 10, 2020, 06:09:14 pm »
Thanks TeeJay, I really appreciate it.

I used to be very shy and reserved, worried about what people might think, I guess. But I am learning that, at the end of the day, being blunt (sometimes brutally so), helps people relate. We have all been there, or are going to be there.

Glad I could give you a laugh  :thumleft:

I managed to get to a pharmacy before they closed, so I'm on the good stuff for the swelling and itching. Lets hope it kicks in soon!

Exactly! - everyone farts (see I'm blunt as a broken pencil). You go young lady - say what you want to say how you want to say it. Please keep the laughs coming - but not always at your painful expense  :peepwall:
Ja/Nee

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1656 on: April 10, 2020, 06:47:38 pm »
10 April

Not a good day today.

When I woke up, I couldnít open my left eye.
My right arm feels like it has swollen to about 1.5x its normal size. And the itching is worse than really bad sunburn and dry skin.

The day was spent moving very little.

I can see out my left eye again, but the itching and discomfort have continued all day.

So I decided not to do my full walk. Wanting to crawl out of my skin, I walked across one of the paddocks to the forest and back, and called it a day. You know I am really not feeling good when I actually take the day to rest.

On the bright side, I have had little to no pain from my leg!

Offline Oubones

« Reply #1657 on: April 10, 2020, 07:17:17 pm »
I hope you feel better soon and that you can get up and about again! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1658 on: April 10, 2020, 09:41:04 pm »
Shame man - take care!
Ja/Nee

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1659 on: April 11, 2020, 02:22:45 am »
Ag shame man!

That was a pretty bad reaction from the bee stings.

Be very careful in future, allergic reactions do develop over time. The next time you get a bee sting it may be a whole lot worse, if you ever experience a tight throat or breathing difficulties then it's time to get to a hospital, STAT.

Maybe start carrying a little plastic vial with some of the strong anti-histamines in it with you at all times.  :deal:

A reaction like you just had isn't normal. Take it seriously  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.