Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 187094 times)

jacbot and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1780 on: May 22, 2020, 07:45:35 pm »
22 May

My walk was really good. I am contemplating one of those “walk every street” things. I have covered about 1.5 areas (an area within a suburb) so far.

Baked oats were good. My first time making them. They get a nice light crunch on top. And rather than using actual jam, you just add in frozen strawberries or blueberries. Delicious!

My niece’s school mates dressed up and sang happy birthday during their online school sesh. Really sweet. And massive kudo’s to all the teachers and parents working so hard to try and make things as normal as possible for the kids!

Shopping took ages what with all of the waiting in queue’s to enter. And why doesn’t anyone have stock of sesame oil?! I got peanut oil instead and it is absolutely flavourless and odourless. Sesame oil really would have made tonight’s dinner. Ah well. Guess I will just have to make it again.
On my way home a piece of my bike rack came loose so I pulled over to secure it and found myself in the perfect spot to take a photo of a tree.

I taught my niece about car petrol filler caps, where you pump up tyres, and what windscreen wipers are. She wasn’t as interested as she was with the unicorns, but she still asked questions and had fun using the wipers.

As for the lawn... I’m going to need a little more practice, but it was so great to be outside “working”.

Now, time to decorate a cake!
And finish making her present! 😳

Offline ican

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • It is never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #1781 on: May 22, 2020, 07:58:44 pm »
21 May

I encountered less people on my walk today, which was nice. And thosenI did pass were friendly. Maybe the other day I just looked like a real grump 🤷🏻‍♀️

But boy, tired and stiff. Because I hit snooze a few times too many I didn’t have coffee before my walk. The muscles loosened up somewhat but the mind was dragging.

I met up with my Mom and niece at the park, and after a slow walk home I was ready for a double espresso.

Oh boy oh boy, did those beans smell good. The racket the machine makes was music to my ears because I knew that soon I would be sipping my precious black gold.

And then the racket stopped. Sooner than it should have. The screen was red. Out of beans. So I went to pull the machine forward in order to add more little beans of awesomeness... and I pulled the removable tray out. With half a cup of coffee on it. I saw the mug fly off in slow motion, my black gold getting flung on to the drawers and opposite counter. And then, crash. Mug and coffee all over the floor.

Bleak.
I didn’t even bother cleaning it then and there. I added more beans. Then it wanted water. Demanding machine this. And eventually, I had my Elixer of Life. It was a strong one and I managed to get three potent cups out of it by diluting it!

With it being windy and a little cooler today, I tried to convince my niece that it is a good day to have a mid-morning nap. She wasn’t having any of it though.

She had her 30min of online school. Then we played doctor (she was the vet, I the assistant), and learnt about dinosaurs and video chatted with my Dad.

Then she went from doctor to chef and I found myself sat on the floor, wondering if I would be able to stand up. Eventually I managed to convince my niece to stand on my back which felt great!

She was pretty good today despite Aunty being grumpy from tiredness.

I made pumpkin waffles for lunch, and my niece made ice cream in a bag with only milk, sugar, vanilla essence, and a bag of ice and salt. Tasted great and had a sorbet-like texture.

My body finally felt a little more human and I managed a Centr workout without too much wincing.

Overall, it turned out to be a pretty good day.

You remind me of one of my favorite quotes- “I don’t have coffe to wake up, I wake up to have coffee.”  :biggrin:
In a world full of people, only some want to fly... Isn't that crazy?

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1782 on: May 23, 2020, 06:32:45 am »
When you need to help a 4yo build lego... at 06:30 😴🧟‍♀️🤣

@ican relate to that!
See what I did there 😏

Love the quote, thank you!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1783 on: May 23, 2020, 10:25:08 pm »
23 May

Good aunt and sister that I am, of course I just sat there and laughed while watching the (attempted) Lego assembly 😁

Buzzing on cake and coffee.

It is so incredible to see this little human being growing up and learning. And quite scary! She really does soak up everything like a sponge. And you can’t fool her.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1784 on: May 24, 2020, 08:16:46 pm »
24 May

I was kitted up for the cold and dark. Arm warmers. Raincoat. Buff. Gloves. Socks pulled up high. Lights on the front of the bike. Lights on the back. Lights on my helmet.

And by the time I left at about 07:10, it was sufficiently light. And there was no wind. And quite a pleasant temperature. Blissfully quiet streets. No pollution. Just a girl and her bike.

The walk was okay- great to see the sea. I could hear its thunderous roar from the farm in Wilderness. But, so many people. And not a nice vibe. With all the arrests there, everyone is walking on eggshells. One road back from the beach was far more pleasant, even without the view.

The dog is better. Poor boy hadn’t been eating or keeping anything down. After a jab he is doing better.

Why don’t any shops have stock of sesame oil?! I have tried 3 and none of them have. I also want to be a “lockdown chef” and cook with different oils.

As for microwaves... you can defrost, heat up, bake, roast, grill... from mug cakes to scrambled eggs, to as I discovered tonight when the gas for the stove ran out, spaghetti!

As for the crocheting... ja nee. This could take a while! 😅

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1785 on: May 25, 2020, 08:19:11 pm »
25 May
3km walk

One mile a day, come rain or shine. Even horizontal rain!
The day started with howling wind. When I looked outside the clouds looked low, but there wasn't rain yet. I geared up with my arm warmers, gloves, rain coat, head torch and shorts. The light pollution bouncing off the clouds meant it was light enough for me to see, so the torch was more for me to be seen.

By the time I got going, the rain had started. And boy, did it rain! Fortunately it wasn't cold, and I had a pleasant walk zig-zagging my way up the blocks. Which means I have walked every street in the Die Wingerd area 🙂
The horizontal rain was fine when the wind was at my back, but going into wind I had to tuck my chin to my chest to stop it running down the neck of my jacket (even with it zipped all the way up). I needed one of those clear face shields some people wear!

Otherwise, it was a really enjoyable walk. Just me and the street lights. And I had fun taking photos of the rain lit up by my headlamp.

Managed a fairly productive morning with my niece, and my first tantrum. Well, she tantrum-ed, not me. Then I went off to another shop in search of sesame oil, and poppyseeds.
Of course, the self-dispensed poppyseeds were out of stock, so I bought the pre-packaged stuff... it only worked out to about R2 more.
No sesame oil.

This afternoon was to be for baking and cooking. I made potato falafel for the first time. Worked out ok. Next time will be better. And half way through mixing up the batter for a lemon and poppyseed load, I grabbed the bag of seeds and saw... I had taken sesame seeds. Facepalm!

So I dashed up to the shop, spent a ridiculous amount on poppyseeds, and finished my baking. It looks pretty good. Smells pretty good... doesn’t taste too bad. Needs a little more sugar and I think I got the dud slice with no lemon! Oh well, just means I will have to keep making more until I perfect it!

Now, time to do some more crocheting. It is very slow-going. It is going to take a while for me to perfect the technique, but it keeps me busy.

Tomorrow I hope to donate blood! :)

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #1786 on: May 26, 2020, 11:45:39 am »
Good on you, today may be a bit colder though, LOL
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1787 on: May 26, 2020, 09:37:43 pm »
26 May

I woke up to thunderous... thunder. And thought “uh oh, today’s walk is going to be interesting! Do I really have to get up now?!”

Fortunately I checked my watch before hauling myself out of my nice warm bed. 11pm.

I had been asleep less than 45 minutes but it felt like it had been hours. Phew, at least I wouldn’t have to go out in that. I snuggled back down and fell asleep to the wonderful sound of thunder and rain.

When my alarm went off, I opened an eye and tilted an ear up. No rain. No wind. No thunder. Sweet! I originally donned shorts but there was an icy chill in the air so I changed into tracksuit pants. Good call. T-shirt, arm warmers, raincoat, buff, headlamp, shoes, ready!

There was a very light rain, and I set off in the dark. There is something about walking in the dark. I haven’t done much of it, but I like it. It is you and the little area in front of you that is lit up by your headlamp. The world disappears and distance doesn’t matter.

I had a philosophical moment. It is good to look ahead, to have goals goals, to think about the future. But sometimes it means we forget about what is right in front of us. Walking in the dark emphasises that. If you try to look too far ahead, you will find inky blackness, unknowns. But if you look closer, you can actually see what is in front of you. The Now.

Once I got home the weather seemed to be clearing and I was keen to go to the park with my niece and Mom. Fortunately we didn’t get as far as leaving as, typical Cape weather, it started to rain. And rained on and off all day.

The morning was spent doing the usual- looking after my niece. And this afternoon I donated blood. It took 6 tries before the IR Temperature scanner registered my temperature. When the lady took a blood sample she remarked “sjoe! Your hands are ice cold! No wonder your temperature didn’t register!” 🤷🏻‍♀️

After that, it was back home, helped clean the house, and then I made Massaman curry, which is a Thai red curry. I found a one-pot recipe, and it was delicious!

There is a very icy chill in the air. Just when I thought I might do okay this winter 🤦🏼‍♀️🥶
Oh and, here comes the pitter patter of more rain.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1788 on: May 26, 2020, 11:25:34 pm »
After our drought scare of the past few years, I am so grateful for every drop that falls. It really is the nicest sound to fall asleep to, and to wake up to.

I admire your determination to stick to your routine. I'll read all about it from my warm bed :biggrin:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1789 on: Yesterday at 03:59:44 am »
So good to see you donating blood, respect and thanks  :thumleft:

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #1790 on: Yesterday at 11:52:22 am »
 :sip:
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1791 on: Yesterday at 12:20:54 pm »
I'd like to start off by saying thank you to those who comment here. I am sure many people read the posts (you're awesome), but those who are able to make a comment or remark, it is really appreciated. I know it is probably quite difficult to comment on my type of posts.

@jaybiker , sorry for the wait. I have found most people in the Western Cape to be unfriendly. Or perhaps, more unfriendly compared to the Eastern Cape and even Gauteng. This isn't a result of the pandemic. When I went to JHB last year to fly the sim with my Dad, I went into a petrol station shop, and when I went to pay, the cashier said "Hello, how are you?" and I was so surprised I stood gaping like a fish for a second. I was not only greeted first, but it was genuine.

In Botswana, if you didn't greet people, they would ignore you.

---
Today it was really tough to get out of bed. It was even colder than yesterday. I'm feeling a bit pap after the blood donation, but I got going eventually and managed to walk over 3 days. I have a goal, on top of the goal of walking one mile a day, which is helping me: walk every street in my area. An interesting challenge that requires a bit of thought.

I love thunderstorms. They were one of my favourite things about Botswana. Speaking of which, I was showing my niece some of my photos from my time there. She loves vultures for some reason, and I have photos of vultures eating a hippo carcass. And it reminded me that I really should go through all of those photos and write little blurbs about them.

One day... I can go out in the cold and dark and walk every morning, but I don't have the discipline to sit down and sort through photos  :sip: There are about 6000  to sort through though.

Anyway, I have about 20 minutes of my "break" left... when it's lunch time my niece gets to watch an episode of Dinosaur Train, and I get time to do a bit of admin.  :deal:

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #1792 on: Yesterday at 02:21:12 pm »
Howdee @Sardine
Just read through your complete thread (we are in lock-down after all), and you definitely have a way with words - Don't stop writing  :deal:
Your photography skills vastly improve, maybe not something you would have noticed, but reading the thread in one sitting makes it very clear  :thumleft:
So much uncertainty at this stage, hope we can get more flying stories in the near future.

Waiting for the final word on what L3 means, but if all goes well, my plan is to be in the Hartenbos / George area for June and possibly July (seeing that we are working remotely) and do some paragliding on days when weather permits.

Some people are born with wind in their blood, and if they are not in the air, they are not in their natural environment  :angel4:
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1793 on: Yesterday at 05:30:21 pm »
I'm slightly amazed at your experience with cashiers here. I've often been caught out by friendly cashiers in shops, whose smiling greetings made me feel like an uncivilised buffoon, especially when I'm in a hurry to pay and run out the door. I now pre-empt by walking up to cashiers with patience, a big smile and a friendly greeting.

Admittedly some shop assistants and waiters could do with a few lessons in civility; the service in SA isn't great but in some places it is appalling.

Botswana is amazing, I was only there once and I loved it. I went to find then husband who was in a meeting somewhere in Gabarone, he'd pointed out the place the previous evening. I parked near where I thought it was, and stood looking around uncertainly. Two friendly pedestrians immediately asked what I was looking for, then pointed me in the right direction. I'll never forget that.

I would comment more but I feel like I'm hogging/spamming your thread
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:31:27 pm by Ri »
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1794 on: Yesterday at 08:04:19 pm »
Hi @Bergie , thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it!  :thumleft:

I look forward to hearing about your paragliding. I really enjoyed my few trips to the Map of Africa. It must be awesome to launch from there! Well, anywhere would probably be awesome for me, as I have yet to go paragliding!

True words about natural environments. "Fortunately" my last two jobs involved a lot of sitting on the ground, waiting. So my flying withdrawals haven't been too bad.

@Ri , maybe I scowl too much and look grumpy.
I make a point to slap on a smile and voice a cheerful greeting nowadays. It has helped.
Ja, Botswana really is something else. I have only spent one night in Gaborone. I didn't enjoy the city. But the people, super.

Please feel free to comment as much as you want :)

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1795 on: Yesterday at 08:14:49 pm »
@Ri , maybe I scowl too much and look grumpy.
I make a point to slap on a smile and voice a cheerful greeting nowadays. It has helped.

I'm sure you don't scowl, but maybe - like me - you have resting b!tch face (RBF). If I don't smile, I look like I want to punch someone in the face.

Also agree with @Bergie on the quality of your photo's. Do you edit?

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1796 on: Yesterday at 08:18:17 pm »
Sardine, I'm watching the Dragon space launch coverage live right now and can't help thinking you would make an awesome astronaut!  :3some:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1797 on: Yesterday at 08:20:32 pm »
27 May

3.7km walk

It was very cold this morning. I lost track of how many times I hit snooze. Eventually I dragged myself out of bed at 06:35, and I was on my way by 06:50.
A little "pap" after donating blood, this would be a walk day, even though my mind was thinking "let's run!"

I took a photo of the street before setting off, same angle as the last two mornings. But I didn't review it then and there. So of course, it was a photo of a whole lot of nothing! Oops!

My walk was good, albeit cold.
We even got my niece out for a short walk (it was a little windy and she doesn't like the wind).

One of the good things about the exercise window has been that it forces me to get up and get going. If I miss my morning "slot", that's it. From 08:00 I am on Aunty Duty. So I get my walk in early so I can be home before my sister leaves for work.
But, with no exercise window, there will be more opportunity to procrastinate, and make excuses about why I shouldn't go for a walk/run now.
It will be nice to at least be able to do longer walks/runs in the afternoons when I have the time.

The morning went by quite fast. We played games, read stories, did school work, no tantrums, no fuss. Let's hope this continues!

Tonight I tried making tomato soup. We had a bunch of frozen tomatoes, and fresh ones. The fresh ones got roasted first. The soup wasn't too bad. Not as thick and creamy as I would have liked, but still tasty. And, I had a grilled cheese sandwich with it. Now I understand why tomato soup and grilled cheese is a thing!

We are about half way through the lemon and poppy seed loaf I made the other day. It's nice, but not nearly as good as Pick 'n Pay's lemon and poppy seed muffins. Anyone have their recipe by any chance?! I promise I won't reveal their secrets!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1798 on: Yesterday at 08:24:22 pm »
@Ri , RBF is very possible!  :lol8:

In the past I tried not to edit. I always thought that was cheating. And I didn't have the patience to sit and edit photos, beyond a crop here and there.
But since I started using my phone as my primary only camera, I do edit (free Adobe app). I'm trying to use the manual settings more, but sometimes I do resort to one of the many auto functions.

@Mrs. Zog , as a child I wanted to be an astronaut!  :ricky: And then I think I found out that you need to be a maths and science whizz... I am many things, but book smart when it comes to those things, I am not!  :(

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #1799 on: Yesterday at 08:28:51 pm »
@Ri , RBF is very possible!  :lol8:

In the past I tried not to edit. I always thought that was cheating. And I didn't have the patience to sit and edit photos, beyond a crop here and there.
But since I started using my phone as my primary only camera, I do edit (free Adobe app). I'm trying to use the manual settings more, but sometimes I do resort to one of the many auto functions.

Editing is easy to spot (and does make some difference, but most cellphone photos today are enhanced for colour and balnce), I am talking about composure - that is in the eye of the artist
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.