Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 197500 times)

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1800 on: May 28, 2020, 04:08:58 am »
I think the effort / remembering to actually stop and take a photo is praise worthy.  :thumleft:
Then the next big step is to do something with them... thats my biggest problem.
Keep it up. :thumleft:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1801 on: May 28, 2020, 07:40:28 pm »
@Ri , RBF is very possible!  :lol8:

In the past I tried not to edit. I always thought that was cheating. And I didn't have the patience to sit and edit photos, beyond a crop here and there.
But since I started using my phone as my primary only camera, I do edit (free Adobe app). I'm trying to use the manual settings more, but sometimes I do resort to one of the many auto functions.

Editing is easy to spot (and does make some difference, but most cellphone photos today are enhanced for colour and balnce), I am talking about composure - that is in the eye of the artist

Agreed, no question about that. Editing is at most nuanced enhancement.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1802 on: May 28, 2020, 09:27:21 pm »
Brutal run, my first one in 10 days, but so awesome to have the streets to myself.
And apart from the wind, it was a good morning to be out: a comfortable temperature and no rain.

I think I might need to invest in leg warmers though. I overheat too quickly in long pants, and freeze in shorts.

After my run, I had about 30minutes to do my own thing before commencing ďAunty DutyĒ. I normally time getting back so thereís 10-15min before everyone else leaves. But today I could feel I was really pushing it and decided to go home instead of doing a few hundred meters extra, so I got back earlier than usual. And I covered all the streets of another suburb. I am trying to upload my runs to a site that tracks which streets you have and havenít done. So far it seems like no one from Somerset West is on the site.

I was so engrossed with playing games and entertaining the little monster that I didnít even realise it had started to rain. Ah, the Cape.

Another busy day, from manicures and sparkles, to playing ďaeroplaneĒ. I was declared a helicopter co-pilot, and my job was to flap my arms (as wings to make the helicopter fly) and blow raspberries at the vultures that tried to fly into us.
🤣

I finally managed to spend some time on mu crochet project. Every evening I intend to sit down to it and then poof, time has disappeared. I will let you guys know when I know what it is going to be...

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1803 on: May 29, 2020, 05:54:45 am »
Love the photo of the view over Gordon's Bay.

Woke up at 03:30 and listened to rain, overflowing rain spouts and a groaning deck. The dam bag under it is full to capacity. Crawled out of bed to let the water out before the deck lifted up.

Crawling back into bed now as you no doubt head off into the sunrise. It's surprisingly balmy, even with the rain. Enjoy your walk/slog/jog :)
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1804 on: May 29, 2020, 06:08:26 am »
Love the photo of the view over Gordon's Bay.

Woke up at 03:30 and listened to rain, overflowing rain spouts and a groaning deck. The dam bag under it is full to capacity. Crawled out of bed to let the water out before the deck lifted up.

Crawling back into bed now as you no doubt head off into the sunrise. It's surprisingly balmy, even with the rain. Enjoy your walk/slog/jog :)

😳 I didnít even hear the rain last night.
I woke up to the sound of crying. Going to be one of those days methinks 😓

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1805 on: May 29, 2020, 07:37:41 pm »
29 May

What day is it?
This morning feels like a month ago.
Hmmm...
Oh yes. Inlove walking empty streets with wet roads, the light from the street and house lights reflecting off the tar.

Speaking of lights, so many houses are dark. Have people already gone to work, or are most in the habit of sleeping until after 7am. I know I am going to be in for a shock when I have to work again.

The dogs were menaces. Serious cabin fever. I felt a bit like the black one today- too over it to bother getting the jack russell off his back.

Lazy day, but not lazy. The body felt lazy but couldnít give in, what with entertaining the little one.

I wasnít in the mood to do the daily Centr workout, but I decided, just do it. Tough, but could have been a lot worse. And, once again, glad I did it rather than giving in to excuses.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1806 on: May 29, 2020, 08:44:03 pm »
Love the photo of the dogs

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1807 on: May 29, 2020, 09:31:05 pm »
Such great "moody" and atmospheric pics. I love it. Also, the dogs. I can relate... ;D

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1808 on: May 30, 2020, 06:25:11 pm »
30 May

Longest walk this week, I think. Beautiful morning. Sea air and views. Lots of coffee. And a surprisingly good pan au chocolat.

A rather productive morning after that and a relatively rustig afternoon. Bumped into a few familiar faces. Or eyes  👀 which was nice.

I finally started to get in the groove and catch up on some write-ups of my adventures, but a little monster keep interrupting me every minute. Literally.
But, I am grateful. I know I will look back and think Iíd rather have the interruptions than not be here.

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #1809 on: May 30, 2020, 06:49:04 pm »
Where you see this Mini  station wagon ?
Rallye

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1810 on: May 30, 2020, 08:42:47 pm »
Where you see this Mini  station wagon ?

Tucked between two hangars at the Stellenbosch Flying Club.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1811 on: May 31, 2020, 08:35:07 pm »
31 May

Despite the lockdown, and spending half the month back home in Somerset West, I clocked some good mileage. About 125km of walking and running.

The two weeks back home have been an adjustment. No big open space to escape to, and even if there was, I look after my niece for half the day and canít exactly get up and leave for an hour

But, I am so grateful that I get to spend time with her, and see her as she learns and grows. Even when weíre both having a bad day. Itís worth it.

I have also tried to establish new routines. Unfortunately one seems to be the habit of staying up far too late and waking up tired. But, I am drinking more water (I donít like water), and I have stuck to an online exercise program for two weeks. I have also started to read more.

I highly recommend ďWalk It OffĒ by Erns Grundling.
Along with helping with my niece, I often make dinner and really enjoy being in the kitchen. I have a long list of things I want to cook and bake, but I have to force myself to space it out; I need to remember that Iím not doing hard physical work every day anymore, and I do not feel like shopping for bigger clothes! 😅

Today I made my take on the Monte Cristo sandwich.
Esentially a french toast sandwich made with ham and cheese. But I used smoke turkey, a cheese triaingle, and gherkins. Assemble then soak in egg. Cook in a pan and voila!

And this afternoon I made oat crunchies. Flavour is alright, but they are a little crumbly. Take caution when dunking in tea/coffee! At least I didnít accidentally grill this lot like the last batch 😂
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:41:19 pm by Sardine »

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1812 on: June 01, 2020, 02:59:15 am »
Please share the recipe for the oat crunchies... kindly please and thank you.  ;D

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #1813 on: June 01, 2020, 05:32:55 am »
Here goes Mrs Z

1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups grated coconut (I'm not that fond of coconut so only use 1 cup)
180 gm butter / margarine (6 ounces)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 cups rolled oats
1 tablespoon golden syrup
60ml milk  (1/4 cup)

Heat butter and syrup until butter has melted
Mix bicarb and milk in separate cup
Mix all dry ingredients
Add butter / syrup and mix
Add milk / bicarb and mix well

Press into baking pan. (I use a rolling pin to get it even.

A triple mix fills 2 pans 43 x 28 cm  (17 x 11 inch)

Depending on how hard you want them...

120 deg (250F) for 50 minutes = soft
140 deg (280F) for 50 minutes = medium to crunchy.

Cut into squares while still warm, otherwise you willl have a battle on your hands

Enjoy.

PS This recipe has been used by my mom for over 60 years

Edit: Correction to how much syrup to use.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:32:27 am by TrailBlazer »
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

The following users thanked this post: tulips, Mrs. Zog

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #1814 on: June 01, 2020, 04:41:11 pm »
@Sardine  I apologise for the hijack.... My head wasn't working too good this morning. The coffee hadn't kicked in yet  ::)

I thought I was on the Zog thread
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1815 on: June 01, 2020, 07:16:21 pm »
1 June

It wasnít easy getting up this morning. A small voice said ďBut you can go out and walk any time of the day now... sleep in.Ē
Fortunately I was able to silence it.

After our 7km run yesterday, I planned on just walking today. But I was cold, so I jogged to warm up. There were fewer people out, and a lot more cars, petrol fumes grabbing at the back of my throat. I donít like this. It feels like there has been a massive shift in the universe. Or maybe itís because, for the 6 weeks I barely ventured off the farm, and only went to the shops every 2nd week.
And now, for the past two weeks, I have been more vampire, venturing out early and getting back before the sun peeks over the Helderberg, and only going to the shops once or twice.

Now that we are getting more of a routine, I am seeing more outside of the house.
I am grateful people are able to work again and that businesses can start trying to get back on their feet. But, the vampire thing was kind of nice.

Oh well. It was a good walk.
With a second short walk that morning.
And a longer one at the beach in the afternoon.

The weekend seems to have been a good reset, and time flew by with my niece this morning. It was a really enjoyable day. We even did some gardening and baked cupcakes.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1816 on: June 01, 2020, 07:46:01 pm »
@Trail Blazer , no worries! Sharing is caring  :thumleft:

@Mrs. Zog , here is the link https://www.all4women.co.za/food-home/recipes/recipe-items/traditional-oat-crunchies-recipe
I viewed the recipe on my phone and the ads made it a little wonky, so I mixed some sections up: read the optional extras instead of the main recipe.

The result: I added sesame seeds. Personally, I don't like the flavour they give.
I am, however, happy to say that they seem to be holding together better, a day later. That being said, I have not done "The Dunk Test". Yet.

Today's baking adventure was meant to yield marbled coffee and chocolate cupcakes/muffins. Alas, I didn't do the marbling well.
https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/171015-coffee-chocolate-marbled-muffins
I used this recipe, which had the least sugar out of the other 10 or so I found.
I also used full cream yoghurt instead of butter.
And I added in about 50g of oat flour (I just grind regular Jungle Oats in the coffee grinder), and used 50g less of cake flour.

I tasted a reject one (only a half full muffin thing). Flavour seemed good, texture a little dense. But not unpleasant.
I made a chocolate-only one for my niece and she loved it.

On the topic of sugar. Why. Do. So. Many. Recipes. Have. So. Much. Sugar?!
I have a heap of ripe bananas and I was looking for ideas other than banana bread.
So I Googled "low sugar banana recipe's".
Half these recipes use 2-3 banana's, and another 1-2 cups of sugar  :o For a "savoury" dish.
I understand the sugar helps to add structure, but dang!  :patch:

So, I have found a few banana curries...
And on my walk I got a good waft of bacon and eggs and I thought "hey, bacon, eggs and fried banana for breakfast". Hmmmm

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1817 on: June 01, 2020, 08:13:53 pm »
On the topic of sugar. Why. Do. So. Many. Recipes. Have. So. Much. Sugar?!

You can use MUCH less sugar than the recipe says. I always do. I reduce by at least half, sometimes more, and it doesn't affect most things. You do need some sugar, that's true. But you can definitely reduce it a lot. You could substitute with something else, but honey, agave syrup, what have you, is all sugar, just in a different form. But you may feel better about putting a little organic manuka honey in rather than a cup of white refined sugar.  ;D

Because I'm a biochemistry nerd, some free advice: anything on a food/ingredient label ending in "-ose" is usually a sugar - glucose, dextrose, maltose, fructose, lactose - you get the idea. They sneak up on you. :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1818 on: June 02, 2020, 05:03:06 pm »
I also normally half the sugar amounts.  :lol8:

So the muffin texture wasnít too bad. They are top deck muffins 😁
The raw batter was very sweet. But I found that once baked, were a little flavourless. But then, I do often find food quite bland lately.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1819 on: June 02, 2020, 09:04:38 pm »
2 June

A slow start.
But I got going eventually.

Made a kite and coloured in a picture for the first time in a long time, my niece choosing the colours (her artistic eye is far better than mine).

Had a good walk. Ate some good food. Drank good coffee. Remembered how much I dislike traffic. And taxiís. Why does the world feel so much more negative? Or is it me who has had a shift in mindset? Back into the real world. Or something like that.

But seriously, go check out Oh Hello in Strand.
I got a BBQ pulled chicken with peppers and cheese on sourdough. Itís a big sandwich, the chicken tender and just juicy enough, the peppers cooked and seasoned well, and just enough cheese so that it wasnít too oily. And, most importantly, toasted to perfection.

And the blondie, wow. Fresh out of the oven. Deliciously crispy on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside, with perfectly roasted nuts on top. Mmmmm!

Maybe I should run down there on the weekend to try out their brekkie roll 🧐