Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 204762 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1900 on: June 24, 2020, 07:38:44 pm »
@Ri yes! Let’s do it!

24 June

Critical thinking... ask why 5 times. So there might just be a reason why kids go through the Why Phase. As annoying as it is.

Not much to say otherwise, these days. Enjoying the sunshine!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1901 on: June 25, 2020, 02:43:00 pm »
Decided to try making savoury waffles.
I was going to use this recipe, but was too lazy to separate eggs and fold in egg whites.
https://myfoodbook.com.au/recipes/show/danish-feta-and-spinach-waffle

So I adapted it.
I made half the batter which yielded 4.5 waffles.

1 egg
30g butter, melted
180ml low fat milk
60ml full cream milk
^ mix those together

180ml cake flour
2/3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp brown sugar
^ mix

Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix until mostly combined.

Chop fresh spinach (I used about 50g. I will double it next time)
Feta, to your liking (I chopped 30g into small blocks)
Tinned sweetcorn (or fresh if you prefer), I used 100g

Add to batter and mix.

Cook as you would a normal waffle. Delightful!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1902 on: June 25, 2020, 03:44:11 pm »
Sardine are you ditching flying and becoming a chef now?!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1903 on: June 25, 2020, 07:49:49 pm »
25 June

Mind over matter. My quads have been sore for a few days, and my mood has steadily worsened as a result. Today the rest of me was also quite achey.

The temptation to crawl back into bed was huge. But I knew if I did, I would wake up both sore and groggy. Pushing through would be better.

I didn’t study much in the morning, deciding to rather call it a day and get outside. My news socks are very comfy and motivational. Once I pulled them on I knew I had made the right call.

It was a pleasant walk, if a little windy.

I felt sore for the rest of the morning but at least my mind was a little more clear.

The savoury waffles turned out well- spinach, feta and sweet corn mixed into the batter. Yum!

Even though I only did a third of the studying I planned to do, I have made a start on a hike report from last year, so I am quite chuffed about that.

Speaking of hike reports, here is the one I posted a few days ago, but with better quality photos: https://www.theoutbound.com/heather-arnold-2/a-hiking-novice-takes-on-the-alexandria-trail

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #1904 on: June 25, 2020, 08:31:03 pm »
Enjoyed reading  your hike report
Very nice Thanks for sharing  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Rallye

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1905 on: June 26, 2020, 08:56:14 pm »
26 June

3 dogs. A gardener. Rain. Cold. A 4 year old. Does not make for a pleasant day. The constant barking had me on edge, which meant my niece was on edge.

It was a long day. Grateful for the rain. Even more grateful that I could go for a walk. Legs weren’t too sore today.

Very excited to finish up the Centr Unleashed program. It doesn’t feel like it has been 6 weeks of doing online exercise every day.

And about 5 weeks ago, I committed to drinking more water every day (I don’t like water), and also do some extra rounds of exercise. So far, so good.

Like the sign says: “Success does not come from doing things occassionally.”

Also, thankful for left-over waffles. Even if I did over-do the poached eggs.

100% chance of rain tomorrow. Hopefully it is light enough that I can go for a cycle and a walk.

The following users thanked this post: elandsrider

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1906 on: June 27, 2020, 07:31:33 pm »
27 June

Howling wind wrenched what leaves were left on the trees, and rain thrashed the windows... I lay in bed and wondered how I would get my mile in for the day.

So I spent 2.5 hours browsing YouTube and Instagram, ignoring what was going on outside. Once the sky lightened I got up and made breakfast and gazed out of the window at the gloom outside. And I realised that the only way to get my mile in, was to go outside and walk a mile.

I was going to run down to the Mall, but decided to rather support a friend’s coffee shop. It is difficult to support local when you are unemployed and can’t buy from them regularly. So I guess the next best thing is to spread the word. Folks, go check out Legacy Cafe & Products in Somerset West. Small shop, but they have BIG hearts! And the coffee is darn good and well-priced. Also, they sell Scotty Dog Shortbread which comes in a variety of flavours (and is also darn delicious and well-priced!)

With my socks matching my mental state, and donned in my rain coat, I headed outside, braced for frigid temperatures and gale force winds. I was met instead with some patches of blue sky, a bit of wind, and no rain. Oh.

Ok then. So I decided to make the most of the weather window and run down. When I looked at the Helderberg Mountain is was obscured by some very dark clouds. Right.

I had the wind at my back and within 20 minutes was being welcomed by Jules at the Legacy Cafe. I barely know him and his wife, and the last time I was there was about a year ago, but I was welcomed as if we were lifelong friends. I was served a cup of deliciously hot coffee by Andrew, thanks man!

Sipping my coffee, I recovered from my little run. Keeping an eye on the weather I saw the sky was getting darker. Resisting the urge to order french toast (next time!), I said my farewells and set off.

Only to get distracted by the bicycle shop. I couldn’t just walk by... And I had some questions. So I popped in and got some answers. And drooled over some bicycles. I even found one that didn’t cost as much as my car!

By the time I left it had started to drizzle. No worries. Then I got distracted by the Cash Crusaders and spent 10 minutes in there.
Needless to say, by the time I really got going, it had started to rain.

It wasn’t heavy rain but the wind had picked up and there were strong gusts. So it was head down, lean forward and go. And sometimes not go when the gusts were really strong. My upper body stayed dry but as I don’t have waterproof pants, my legs got soaked.

Oh well, it was worth it. The weather wasn’t as bad as it seemed. And I got my mile in. 10 minutes after getting home all hell broke loose with heavy rain and very strong wind. Phew.

I tried a new recipe for lunch: chickpea flour crepes, and made them into crepe pockets with turkey deli meat, spinach and onion, and a fried egg. A fair amount of effort: not something I would make every day. But delicious!

And I got some studying in. And did the Centr burpee challenge. 8 rounds of 10 burpees, each round a different variation of the burpee. Brutal!

A hearty stew for dinner. And now, chill and wonder where to go/what to do tomorrow.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1907 on: June 28, 2020, 08:18:33 pm »
28 June

You know when you want to do something, but don’t know what. Or you are craving something to eat, but don’t know what. That has been the last couple of days.

But, today was rain-free and I had two good walks. I took a road thinking it would link with the road I wanted to get to. Only, it made a horshoe shape and I wound up walking a little further than planned 🤷🏻‍♀️ oh well, making the most of the sunshine and fresh air. Very fresh air. Icy fresh.

Had a lekker catch-up before heading home. There wasn’t a lot of traffic so I could hear the sea for most of my walk. It is such a comforting sound, and one that I miss now that there are more cars on the roads.

Back to the routine tomorrow, and a new Centr program 😳

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1908 on: June 29, 2020, 07:21:56 pm »
Moussaka

Made with beef mince instead of lamb.
Needed a bit more seasoning, but otherwise good!

https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/low-carb-moussaka/

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1909 on: June 29, 2020, 09:18:04 pm »
29 June

A busy, productive day.
Lots of drawing, singing, dancing, running up and down, building towers, and... trying to teach the concept of patience and time. Now that requires serious patience!

My walk started with the goal of reading the message and then going to the shop, but I decided nah. So after going past the place with the message I meandered wherever.
The shops can wait.

Nice late afternoon rain. :)

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1910 on: June 30, 2020, 07:32:37 pm »
30 June

Another month down. It has passed in a blur!

I was up at 02:30 this morning, and by 04:00 gave up trying to sleep. So I got going to with a rough cardio online workout, and got cracking on the studies.

Felt surprisingly awake despite the early start.

Had a pretty good day. Such beautiful weather! My niece and I took a walk to see what message was on the board today: some people write a new message every day.
My niece then decided to have a snack so we had a road-side picnic of penguin biscuits. Which she messed everywhere.

The ants were thrilled! We spent a good 20 minutes watching them before making our way home.

As for the choc chip cookie... I always used to swear by those from The Orchard in Grabouw. I’d drive there just for a cookie. But they were R20 a cookie last I checked, and quality a little inconsistent.

The Shell at Radloff Park has delicious ones at R10 each. They are a little thicker, so soft in the middle. I popped mine under the grill in the oven 😁 yummy.
But... while you are there, head across the road to Awe Brew Coffee Bar and grab a cuppa joe!

So, I see a coffee and cookie run on the horizon for me soon!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1911 on: July 01, 2020, 10:13:57 pm »
1 July

Also, new socks! Comfy 😎

“Today I will not stress over things I cannot control.”
And instead take action on the things I can.

In the words of Yoda (never thought Inwould quote Star Wars!): “Do, or do not. There is no try.”

‘Twas a beautiful day.

Offline Ri

« Reply #1912 on: July 02, 2020, 02:25:07 am »
1 July

Also, new socks! Comfy 😎

“Today I will not stress over things I cannot control.”
And instead take action on the things I can.

In the words of Yoda (never thought Inwould quote Star Wars!): “Do, or do not. There is no try.”

‘Twas a beautiful day.

I've started using that Yoda quote as well.

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #1913 on: July 02, 2020, 12:29:02 pm »
I want to come eat at your house... all your meals look scrumptious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1914 on: July 02, 2020, 08:08:38 pm »
2 July

I love it when I can get my niece out the house for a walk- it means an easy 30-60 minutes where I don’t have to try and be super creative to keep up with her stories and games. I love to look after her and play, but my imagination isn’t nearly as wild as her’s and by Thursday I am out of ideas.

I have decided that while I have the time, I want to learn new things. I have been doing short online courses, but I am a practical person. And I love coffee. So I thought hey, opportunity!

I asked Legacy Cafe & Products if I could watch them in action, and they welcomed me with open arms. So I spent a few hours with the team and they even let me iperate the coffee machine! I also learnt a couple of tricks in the kitchen, and had to take care not to drool on the floor with all of the wonderful food aroma’s. I managed to resist the temptation of a burger or toastie...

But, when Jules said the Robinson's Rusks have cinnamon in, I couldn’t say no to one! Yum! And I walked away with one of their cinnabons. I have only had a nibble, and wow! Delicious!

As for the bunny chow. Ja nee. I don’t know how I misheard medium for mild 🤯
Even the copious amounts of yoghurt, cottage cheese and mayo didn’t help!

On the topic of skills and opportunities...
I am keen to learn new things, so if you are in the Helderberg area and open to me “job shadowing” you for an hour or two, please let me know. From coffee to baking to management to logistics to shelf-packing to sales to... well, anything really.
Who knows, maybe I find a new passion and calling.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1915 on: July 02, 2020, 09:04:01 pm »
I can send you some biochemistry stuff :imaposer:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1916 on: July 03, 2020, 07:19:59 am »
@BOZO thank you so much! I really appreciate that. If I'm ever in Aus maybe I can visit and be a "home chef" for a day.

@Mrs. Zog  :imaposer: eish. But hey, why not. Who knows!  :thumleft:

I have plotted my Marathon Walk route. It started as a walk-only, but I might just jog the first 10km + 10km.
Date: 8 July

Route:
Jog from Die Wingerd, Somerset West - Jeff's Bistro, Strand, via the beach = breakfast

Jog from Jeff's - Gordons Bay, start of Danie Miller Trail
Change shoes

Danie Miller Trail
Change shoes

Gordons Bay - Oh Hello in Strand = lunch stop
Oh Hello - Radloff Park
Radloff Park - Legacy Cafe = snack stop

Legacy Cafe - Home

Got it at about 42.3-43km

Google says it will take 8.8hrs non-stop walking.

Start time: 07:00
Factoring in stops, I should be home by 16:00

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1917 on: July 03, 2020, 09:37:04 am »
That time sounds about right. On my recent walks I average about 11.30 Min/km. At 6ft4 I walk rather fast. So that time is doable.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1918 on: July 03, 2020, 03:20:53 pm »
@Mrs. Zog  :imaposer: eish. But hey, why not. Who knows!  :thumleft:

Well, if you're really interested, Harvard has a free Principles of Biochemistry online course. It's self-paced:

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/course/principles-biochemistry-1

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1919 on: July 03, 2020, 08:55:52 pm »
3 July

Is it just me, or was today freezing!
Early starts, busy mornings, chilly weather. I am ready to hibernate this weekend!

Some run-spirational quotes. That also apply to life in general.