Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 202603 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1920 on: July 04, 2020, 08:18:30 pm »
4 July

I couldnít cycle last weekend because the weather was quite terrible. Today, however... it was a little chilly, but not too bad (except that one section where I clocked 39km/h 😂). I had a good coffee at The Hanger Bike Co, and got some goodies for my bicycle.

And then headed to the beach via Bredell Pad, up Steynsrust Road (burn, baby burn!), and then down to the sea!

A walk for coffee (thanks @Ri !) and a run for lunch. Itís amazing what a difference running with someone else makes. We did a couple of short sprints, and I clocked a sub-3 minute pace. So cool!
Missed the lunch place by about 30 minutes 😕 next time! Had lunch somewhere else, and a sedate walk back.

Rather than try and ďavoidĒ the headwind, I took the most direct route home. Took me 25min to do 5km! Oh well.

A Saturday well-spent 😃

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1921 on: July 05, 2020, 10:16:22 am »
@Mrs. Zog  :imaposer: eish. But hey, why not. Who knows!  :thumleft:

Well, if you're really interested, Harvard has a free Principles of Biochemistry online course. It's self-paced:

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/course/principles-biochemistry-1

So, I read the course description and was quite intimidated, and about to close the tab. But I decided to rather find a short YouTube video on the basics of biochemistry.
The nutrition aspect of it could be quite cool... But, I was rather dismal when it came to chemistry, and a full-on course isn't appealing. I have been doing short courses in nutrition etc though, which have been alright so far. More on the practical application than the science behind it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0cd_-e49hZpWLH3UIwoWRA/playlists
Interesting channel.

Thank you for sharing though!

Offline Ri

« Reply #1922 on: July 05, 2020, 01:46:18 pm »
A walk for coffee (thanks @Ri !) and a run for lunch. Itís amazing what a difference running with someone else makes. We did a couple of short sprints, and I clocked a sub-3 minute pace. So cool!

Pleasure.

Just to be clear, I was not the running partner. Only way I'd do a sub-3 minute pace might be if Godzilla was chasing me.

Unless I decided "Meh, I've had a good life", and just meet her head on.

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1923 on: July 05, 2020, 03:53:40 pm »
But, I was rather dismal when it came to chemistry,

I sucked at science in school, I failed physics, chemistry and math every year. What saved me is that I was good with languages, so perfect marks in English, Russian, and French balanced that. I also took astronomy as a science requirement. Although I love space stuff and it fascinates me, I was totally lost and gave that up really fast, I took botany as a science requirement instead and loved it!

It's so ironic that I ended up doing biochemistry and molecular biology for a living. Life is strange.  :P

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1924 on: July 05, 2020, 04:18:05 pm »
Sardine some days it seems you got tons of energy, welldone on that workout :thumleft:

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1925 on: July 05, 2020, 07:13:51 pm »
Sardine some days every day it seems you got tons of energy, welldone on that workout

Fixed  ;D

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1926 on: July 05, 2020, 08:47:18 pm »
5 July

I managed to make quite a dent in the studies this morning. Unfortunately every time I finish one course, I find another 3 that look interesting. Which would be all good and well, but I have until 17 July until my free trial ends!

I have been procrastinating the photo sorting for many, many years. And now... I am wondering what I was thinking with my sorting and backup system. Or lack of system! But, I will tackle them one folder at a time.

I went through a whole lot of photos and videos from my instruction days. And some from Botswana. And for the first time since lockdown, I find myself really missing flying.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1927 on: July 06, 2020, 09:35:55 pm »
6 July

There are some seriously cool bicycles out there! All cost more than my car, unfortunately.

Spent the morning watching a bike service, mostly hanging back and asking the odd question. And resisting the urge to re-organise the shelves... (no women work there 😂 ).

A nice, easy walk got the limbs warmed up, and I saw a different side of the Helderberg Mountain for a change.

Todayís message was appropriate! Strong coffee was had! I have made a very small dent in my photo and video sorting. And as I went through, I just had to wondering what the heck past me was thinking keeping photos and videos that are so blurred and shakey it isnít even funny. Oh well.

I decided to get my Botswana pictures out of the way. Amazing how I can recall all the details from a day 5 years ago just by looking at a photo. But I cannot remember what I was doing 5 hours ago.

Offline >>ThumpįC

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #1928 on: July 07, 2020, 05:13:19 am »
Yes, improved long term memory and bad short term memory is a sign of old age, LOL
(just joking)
I love going through old photos, from family photos when the boys were small, to ride ride reports, to sunsets.
You get real feel for your experiences you had, a top up of those emotions you felt at the time, and motivation to get out there again and do more fun stuff.

Reminds me of the saying
"You don't only live once.
You live everyday, you only die once"
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1929 on: July 07, 2020, 08:41:56 pm »
7 July

Had lovely rain last night, but today dawned clear and sunny and warm!

I am a little nervous about tomorrow. I have run a marathon, and several half-marathons. So a walk-jog should be fine... but I read a good quote a little earlier.

ďIt isn't true that you live only once. You live every day. But, you only die once.Ē

So if you see some crazy chick jogging/walking between Somerset West and Gordons Bay, wave 😊

As this isnít a race, I will be stopping in at various coffee shops to refuel. The plan is to go to: Jeff's Bistro for brekkie, Oh Hello Coffee for lunch, and Legacy Cafe & Products before the final stretch home.

Offline Ri

« Reply #1930 on: July 07, 2020, 09:18:12 pm »
I'm very sorry I can't join you @Sardine, everything went wrong at once. I'm stuck with a POC and the Nightmare of a 1000 Bugs. I'm especially sad I can't walk the trail near Clarens Drive :(

I'm happy to sponsor all the coffees and lunches, just let me know how much.

Enjoy the marathon walk.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 09:18:35 pm by Ri »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1931 on: July 08, 2020, 03:37:21 am »
I'm very sorry I can't join you @Sardine, everything went wrong at once. I'm stuck with a POC and the Nightmare of a 1000 Bugs. I'm especially sad I can't walk the trail near Clarens Drive :(

I'm happy to sponsor all the coffees and lunches, just let me know how much.

Enjoy the marathon walk.

That is AWESOME of you Ri!!!  :thumleft:

Good luck with the marathon Sardine, take it slow and enjoy the scenery  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1932 on: July 08, 2020, 04:51:00 am »
You doing it!! Enjoy every minute!!  :laughing4: :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1933 on: July 08, 2020, 05:56:58 am »
@Ri thank you so much, but I canít accept that.
I have modified my route to leave out the Danie Miller Trail- maybe we can hit that this weekend.
Instead I will stick to the tar, heading out towards the first lookout point, and then returning along the beach.

Thank you @Mr. Zog! I need to keep reminding myself itis not a race, and my only constraint is being back by sunset. I must take it easy. I must take it easy. I must take it easy.

@Tom van Brits yeeha! Thank you  :ricky:

Offline Ri

« Reply #1934 on: July 08, 2020, 09:19:20 am »
@Ri thank you so much, but I canít accept that.
I have modified my route to leave out the Danie Miller Trail- maybe we can hit that this weekend.
Instead I will stick to the tar, heading out towards the first lookout point, and then returning along the beach.

Thank you @Mr. Zog! I need to keep reminding myself itis not a race, and my only constraint is being back by sunset. I must take it easy. I must take it easy. I must take it easy.

@Tom van Brits yeeha! Thank you  :ricky:

By this weekend I'll be ready to walk off a cliff. Danie Miller trail sounds like a much better option.

I'd be delighted to participate in your marathon walk in some small way, even if only by providing you with sustenance. This is kind of a big thing you are doing.

ENJOY!!!! Take pictures!

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1935 on: July 08, 2020, 01:56:25 pm »
Heather, if I may ask a 'stupid' question : as with "currency" with skydiving, if one has not jumped in a certain period of time, one has to "re-train" before jumping again. Are you subject to something like that?

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1936 on: July 08, 2020, 02:57:28 pm »
Sardine, I put in 5 miles on my treadmill this morning in solidarity with you  :thumleft: I think you have a better view, though, so I just imagined running with you and seeing all the scenery!  :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1937 on: July 08, 2020, 03:55:39 pm »
It is done.
I left home just after 7am, and clocked 43km by 14:30.
05hrs 21min moving time.

Write up and photos soon. But first, an epsom salt bath!

Thank you for the support @Ri and @Mrs. Zog .
Some oke in an older red Hilux hooted and waved at about 11am near Greenways. Was it a Dog?

@EssBee , I will reply soon!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1938 on: July 08, 2020, 04:51:07 pm »
It is done.
I left home just after 7am, and clocked 43km by 14:30.
05hrs 21min moving time.

Write up and photos soon. But first, an epsom salt bath!

Thank you for the support @Ri and @Mrs. Zog .
Some oke in an older red Hilux hooted and waved at about 11am near Greenways. Was it a Dog?

@EssBee , I will reply soon!

You have that at a respectable time Sardine, very welldone!!
 :thumleft: :laughing4:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1939 on: July 08, 2020, 07:37:42 pm »
8 July

And chase I did!

The aches and pains have begun, so it will be an early night to kick off recovery.

The weather tomorrow looks pretty grotty, so I am sure I will have plenty of time to sit down and write (famous last words! 🤣 )