Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 214491 times)

Offline TeeJay

Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1940 on: July 08, 2020, 07:48:29 pm »
CONGRATS!!!.....very well done little fish  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1941 on: July 08, 2020, 08:46:26 pm »
Well done!!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1942 on: July 08, 2020, 11:14:31 pm »
Well done!

Here's one for you to contemplate. One of my articles today was on the effect of exercise on aging (specifically in the brain). The conclusion was this:

Moderate exercise also results in greater benefits compared with fatiguing exercise; thus, moderate aerobic exercise may have the most rejuvenating effects compared with other forms of exercise.

You can slow down a little, it's better for you!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:15:05 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #1943 on: July 09, 2020, 08:14:05 am »
Well done indeed.
I like your perseverance

Mrs Zog, never tell a lady to slow down, one day her husbands going to tell her to hurry up. LOL :peepwall:
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1944 on: July 09, 2020, 02:25:21 pm »
It is going to snow!  :patch: :peepwall:

I updated my blog!  :imaposer:

https://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/2020/07/my-solo-marathon.html

The following users thanked this post: >>Thump°C

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1945 on: July 09, 2020, 08:01:00 pm »
9 July

It hasn’t been easy resting, as much as my body needs it. Despite being up at my usual time, it feels like I wasn’t very productive and wasted a day.

But, I did do a bit of studying and some photo sorting. And I didn’t give in to the call of the couch and movies in front of the heater.

Getting up and walking around every 30 minutes has really helped my muscles, and I am feeling a lot less stiff compared to this morning.

And I attempted to make cookies. Well, the recipe was for a giant single serving cookie, but I divided it into three.
Not too bad. Not the best I have had, but they satisfied the crunchy chocolate craving I had!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1946 on: July 09, 2020, 08:05:39 pm »
Thank you for the support and wishes, everyone!
It really means a lot to me.

@Mrs. Zog  :lol8:I’m pretty slow the rest of the time!
And wow! 5 miles on the treadmill is incredible! Good going! Do you listen to music/podcasts or watch anything?

@EssBee
The only stupid question is one that isn’t asked.
I don’t have to retrain, unless I am found to be not up to scratch should a company take me on.
But I am no longer recent as I haven’t done 3 take offs and landings in the past 90 days. So I may not fly with passengers until I do 3 take offs and landings.

My licence is due for renewal in October. If no works comes up before then, I will use the renewal to get recent.

The following users thanked this post: EssBee

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1947 on: July 10, 2020, 02:21:52 am »
And wow! 5 miles on the treadmill is incredible! Good going! Do you listen to music/podcasts or watch anything?

Sorry, I said treadmill but it's an elliptical trainer, a Nordic Track, it simulates cross-country skiing... anyhoo.

When we moved to Florida I had totally intended to run outdoors. First day, I got to the end of the street and said, fuck that shit (pardon my language). 25 degrees Celsius at 7 am, 100% humidity. I was half dead and soaked after 100 m. And at high humidity, sweat doesn't evaporate. So no, not doing that. I invested in the Nordic Track. Bought it on credit and paid it off ever so slowly.

I try to work out every morning, but it's a mission to squeeze it in before I have to start work. I have to do it early because I know it won't happen after work, tired, having to cook dinner, etc. Most days I fit it in.

I have a basic Amazon tablet where I loaded the app for Spectrum, our TV & internet provider, and it lets me watch TV on the tablet with the app (the elliptical has a tablet holder thingie), so sometimes I catch the morning news or find a documentary or something, but mostly I just listen to music that gets me going. I have an iPod and assembled a "Gym" playlist that gets me into gear.

When I was running somewhat seriously, years ago, I had a playlist I put together that had songs with certain beats per minute to match my running pace. It was great. I can't remember the website, but I'm sure you'll find it if you Google for it. You enter your pace per mile or km and it finds songs to match your stride.

Sorry, long story. Hijack over.

Offline Ri

« Reply #1948 on: July 10, 2020, 03:38:05 pm »
@Sardine , does your watch capture your route? I heard people plan their routes to draw "pictures" with the route tracking feature on their smart devices.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1949 on: July 10, 2020, 11:29:58 pm »
10 July

The perk of this whole mask thing is that your face doesn’t get cold!

I tried to make “PB&J stuffed french toast”. Microwaving frozen blueberries makes a delicious “jelly”. Unfortunately, when I added peanut butter to it I nuked it all a bit too long.

Oh well. I will just have to keep trying!

Enjoying the rain. Not enjoying the cold ao much. Buuut, at least it’s not as cold as Sutherland or the Matroosberg!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1950 on: July 11, 2020, 11:40:33 am »
@Sardine , does your watch capture your route? I heard people plan their routes to draw "pictures" with the route tracking feature on their smart devices.

It sure does. I haven't got to the picture stage, but I did write out my niece's name in Kasouga. I will find it and share  :ricky:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1951 on: July 11, 2020, 07:24:02 pm »
11 July

I am starting to feel human again. The soreness is almost gone, and it is only my hip that is still quite stiff. Which, to be honest, is pretty normal.

This means forcing myself to taking it easy over the next few weeks. Where yesterday and Thursday I didn’t have energy, today I found walking too slow.

But, it was muddy so I had to walk slowly.
I listened to the cacophony of birds, and the raging river. It was peaceful.

And then it rained so I cut my walk short - I was bundled up in multiple down jackets, but no raincoat: down and water don’t gel so well - and I headed home via Shell.

I was most disappointed when I didn’t see the cookies. Normally I won’t ask, but the lady behind the counter was on the ball and saw me pacing up and down between the counters. Thanks to her, I received a hot-out-the-oven giant chocolate chip cookie 😁

I got some studying done, and even took the dogs for a walk.

I keep thinking it is Sunday and get a little kick when I realise there is still a day of weekend left 😁🤣⛄️

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1952 on: July 12, 2020, 07:43:05 pm »
12 July

So, a while ago I had a lemon and poppyseed muffin from Pick n Pay. And since then, I have been obsessed. They just nail the flavours and the textures. Problem is, only one PnP seemed to make them. And then they stopped. And started. And stopped. And now with all the new rules, I have only seen them once or twice. But they come in packs of two: one lemon and one other flavour. So I don’t buy. Otherwise I will eat both...

But I am yet to find a recipe that gets me the same sort of flavours and texture. They have a crisp crust, with a gooeyness underneath, and the rest is soft and fluffy.

Speaking of muffins. I have been contemplating getting a McD’s egg McMuffin. But when I saw english muffins on special at Checkers, I decided I would make my own. Delicious! Super chuffed. I put a bit of tomato chutney on, topped with onions, egg (baked in a ramekin to make it round), a homemade beef&ostrich pattie, mozzarella cheese, and a portobello mushroom (which made it super saucy). I will definitely make that again!

Boboti... another ostrich and beef mince mix. Accidentally bought hot chutney, so it needed a touch more sweetness. But otherwise it was good. Not too dry and not too oily.

As for the hike, it was really lekker to be out there again. I am scheming a hike from Somerset West to Paradyskloof, sticking to the mountains.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1953 on: July 13, 2020, 07:30:25 pm »
13 July

What a storm last night.
And the rain today has been phenomenal.
I was going to get to my niece’s school early and read while I waited for pick-up time, but after I loaded the car there was a gap in the rain, and even patches of blue sky.

So I decided to make the most of it and went for a quick walk around the block. I didn’t feel as good as yesterday, probably a result of not sleeping so well. But it was good to get out, even if I did feel a bit like the Michelin Man!

I am making progress on my photo sorting. I have 2014-2018 almost done. On one harddrive. Now I need to see how badly I spread the photos across the other two!

How’s that dog. Looking all sophisticated in the sun on his couch. Yes, he has claimed it. He gets upset if we sit on it 🤦🏼‍♀️

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1954 on: July 15, 2020, 05:23:50 am »
14 July

The weather is awesome. Not like, awesome-great: I was in my polar bear suit and still froze. But weather in general is incredible!

My niece and I took the scenic route home from her school to find a spot to see the snow.  Radloff Park offered a decent vantage point. And while there I popped past Awe Brew Coffee Bar for my first coffee of the day.

Aaaaaahhhh! I don’t know how I survives until after 12:00, but it was well-worth the wait. And I did not walk across to Shell for a giant choc chip cookie 😀

My afternoon walk was pretty quiet. No clear direction other than to go see what message was on the board for the day. Everything was washed clean of the dust and grime, and looking beautiful and bright.

I saw an interesting sign outside De Hoop Primary School. It is kind of sad that a school needs to be declared a “no swear zone”. What is this world coming to.

But, it was a beautiful afternoon and quite a lekker day overall.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1955 on: July 15, 2020, 08:32:20 pm »
15 July

The morning started slow. It was really cold and I didn’t feel like 30 minutes of HIIT. But after doing yesterday’s post, I felt a little more awake and decided to just get the exercise out the way.

I spent the morning in good company with good coffee Jeff's Bistro.

And an afternoon juggling school pickups, playing games, taking out me time, and getting some work in.

A day well-spent.
And thank goodness for home-brewed coffee!

Offline Elkanah

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #1956 on: July 16, 2020, 03:00:13 pm »
 :thumleft:
Psychiatry's troubled search for the biology of mental illness.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1957 on: July 16, 2020, 09:22:40 pm »
16 July

A few years ago, I would have passed out at the sight of a surgery. But thanks to many hundreds of episodes of Grey’s, and helping to load and offload patients at AMS, I have built up a bit of a tolerance for blood.

I did leave before they started with the orthopedic stuff though. The thought of broken bones freaks me out.

As for the salomie, it’s from a Halal food trailer that I often see in Gordons Bay, near the BP. Wow, really amazing chicken curry. Flavourful and spicy but not hot, and a good sized portion at a good price.

Time to put my feet up!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:19:34 am by Sardine »

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1958 on: July 17, 2020, 09:06:22 pm »
17 July

Kindly give the cat a scratch behind the ears on your way in.

That is all.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1959 on: July 17, 2020, 10:07:16 pm »
17 July

Kindly give the cat a scratch behind the ears on your way in.

That is all.

Short and sweet today  :imaposer:

Tough day little fish?

Hang in there  :3some:
Ja/Nee