Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 214492 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1960 on: July 18, 2020, 08:07:48 pm »
18 July

You know those days where you have a plan, and youíre not only sticking to it, but running ahead of schedule. And then... the garage door refuses to close.

I was up at my usual time and feeling well-rested. I finally managed to get my baked oats cooked well (I normally overdo them). Coffee was consumed. The weather looked good. I had a cycle route in mind. I was out the garage, ready to go. When one of the cables on the door unwound, and the door wouldnít close properly.

A good 20-25 minutes later, and my sister and I got it sorted. Annoyed, my excitement about my cycle long gone, I put my gear back and decided to join my sister for a walk instead.

We had a good walk and my mood improved significantly. Itís a good thing it worked out this way: if I had done the cycle first it would have been into a raging headwind, and that would have made me more annoyed than the garage door did!

We passed the house with the daily message, and they had one of my favourite quotes up:
ďIt always seems impossible until itís done.Ē - Nelson Mandela 💪🏻

When we got back, I got my cycle kit and headed out. Apart from the wind, it was a good ride.

Home, freshened up and with fresh coffee, I sat down to study and got in the zone quickly. Another short course done, and I feel a lot less stressed. I was pushing to finish courses as my LinkedIn Learning trial expires tomorrow.

I made another egg mcmuffin-style lunch. Not as pretty as last time, but still delicious! And quite quick and easy to make too!

While in Pick Ď Pay I noticed an interesting price on the tomatoes. Normally they state the price for one item, but on this tag they went for 1000. R16 990 for 1000 tomatoes.

A yummy chicken braai for dinner, and now getting sorted for an early morning walk tomorrow.

What have you guys been up to so far this weekend?

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1961 on: July 18, 2020, 08:15:57 pm »
@Mrs. Zog
Your 5 miles is no less impressive! The first time I got on an elliptical was with the idea of doing 15-20min. Not even 5min in and I was exhausted!
I used to run/walk/cycle with music. It definitely makes a difference and helps maintain cadence. But I much prefer to hear the sounds of whatever is around me, and I am learning to read and understand my body and adapt.

@TeeJay, tough few weeks. I have had long days, been trying to cram too much in, coupled with recovering from my little marathon, I have been feeling a little tired.

And it takes a surprising amount of effort to do these write-ups every day. But, they have become habit and my day feels unfinished if I donít do them.

Thank you for reading 😎

@Ri, so I have written my nieceís name, and I drew a house 🤪
And, some real art. Not mine.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Ri

« Reply #1962 on: July 18, 2020, 08:46:41 pm »
That looks cool, and well done on cursive. Coderunner is very cool!

LOL remember that riding "Intermediate course" I mentioned? It's fun. I rocked up and there was another lady, who's loaner bike wouldn't start. Lucky for her I'm so darned unfit my hands cramped up quickly from clutch control, I offered her my bike to practise so I could take a break.

It's her 2nd day riding, and once she figured out clutch control and that the DR650 wasn't going to stall on her, she rode like a champ, putting me to shame. Ah well, I don't boast about my riding abilities because I have none. I bounce well though :)

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1963 on: July 19, 2020, 07:03:15 pm »
19 July

Sniff, snuffle, sneeze.
I thought I had evaded these dastardly germans. Teach me to let me guard down!

I tried very hard to rest this afternoon. Lay in bed, half asleep, but it was a case of choosing to be able to sleep, or breathe.
I donít like this whole not doing anything thing.

The hike and walk were worth it though.
Hopefully tomorrow will bring fewer sniffles. I am running out of toilet paper and my nose resembles Rudolphís!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1964 on: July 20, 2020, 02:14:20 am »
Hang in there little fishie, this too shall pass  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1965 on: July 20, 2020, 01:43:17 pm »
Thanks Gary. I forced myself not to do my normal morning workout. My day feels empty.
I did go for a walk  :peepwall: I couldn't not do that.
My head doesn't like me for it. But my soul does. How's that for deep.

I managed to get some studying done, and got about 20 min of tinkering done before the pounding got too much.
So, my day doesn't feel like a complete waste at least.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1966 on: July 20, 2020, 07:11:27 pm »
20 July

Get up. Dress up. Show up. Even when you donít want to. Especially when you donít want to!

I have had the same routine in the morning for about 8 weeks. Today I feel like I have failed myself by not sticking to it. But I know I need to rest, and that this is not me failing: it is my body telling, no, forcing me, to take a break.

It is difficult though.
At least I had a really good study session this morning. Appropriately, it focused on the importance of just starting a task (like sitting down and studying), and listening to your body and learning not to view speedbumps as failures.

As for the monster burger... I have finally finished that lot of mince meat and english muffins 🤣 hmmm... back to super crunchy tortillas!

Now... med lemon, where are you, my hideous green friend.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1967 on: July 20, 2020, 07:20:33 pm »
Thanks for posting little fish. I know it takes a great deal of effort - and I'm certain that those who read your thread certainly appreciate it  :3some:

I hope you feel better soon.
Ja/Nee

Online BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #1968 on: July 20, 2020, 10:57:40 pm »
Good Job on the Marathon, the Burgers and the commitment to complete those short courses. :thumleft:
If you have any interest in IOT (internet of things) I can post some links of some beginner courses that are free and pretty good.

"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Online BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #1969 on: July 20, 2020, 11:04:30 pm »

And it takes a surprising amount of effort to do these write-ups every day. But, they have become habit and my day feels unfinished if I donít do them.

Thank you for reading 😎

I know how you feel, updates are sometimes hard, and even though, at times, it feels like there is no-one out there, and your time and effort, converted in to ones and zeros, is spewed into the vast datacloud that is the interweb is wasted.
These words and pictures do reach people that take their time to read and enjoy what you choose to share.   :thumleft: I do!
If that's not the case then just think about how you have immortalized these moments in time to be able to share with generations to come.  (you go you good thing)

"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1970 on: July 21, 2020, 12:53:14 pm »
OMW that monster burger looks  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1971 on: July 21, 2020, 07:00:37 pm »
21 July

Speaking of couches, I have discovered that I do more studying when sat on the couch in the lounge, than when at a desk or table. I have tried to create study, work and chill areas, in an effort to help me focus and have a more normal routine.

So I wonít have my laptop in the lounge or my room. Until yesterday, when I discovered working from the couch is so much more comfortable (table is a weird height and my wrists get sore while typing). So yup, definitely grateful for comfy couches.

As for discipline. I used to think motivation was important. But really, itís discipline. But you canít just be disciplined. Discipline doesnít appear.

You need to take action.
Action leads to motivation. Leads to results. Leads to more action. Do that consistently, be disciplined about taking action, and it becomes a habit.
5 minutes a day is all it takes. And if thatís too much, just start and see what happens.

I have been studying motivational and coaching stuff, can you tell 🤪

Offline Ri

« Reply #1972 on: July 21, 2020, 07:31:07 pm »
Good for you. Keep on keeping on :thumleft:

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #1973 on: July 22, 2020, 07:51:02 am »
As for discipline. I used to think motivation was important. But really, itís discipline. But you canít just be disciplined. Discipline doesnít appear.
You made this statement some time back... and I have drawn upon its wisdom many times.
I have also quoted your words to my colleagues.
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1974 on: July 22, 2020, 09:39:08 pm »
22 July

Always wave.

This morning I spent about 3 hours trying to dredge up high school biology from the deepest, darkest corners of my mind.

Mitochon-what?!
It was a study session where I realised I actually need to study and might have to draw pictures to remember the stuff (cell structure and functions).

Then I popped down to the shops. I had a few places to go to so I made that my walk for the day. I slept a lot better last night and feel better today. Itís just the cough that needs to clear and I should be a-for-away.

I have decided to wait until Monday before I resume my usual exercise routine. A difficult decision, but, I am embracing the rest.

Otherwise, another beautiful day in the Cape!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1975 on: July 22, 2020, 09:40:41 pm »
You made this statement some time back... and I have drawn upon its wisdom many times.

:peepwall:

I do find I repeat myself often.
At least Iím consistent.

At least Iím consistent.

At least Iím consistent.

At least Iím consistent.
 :pot:

Thank you, Carnivore. Hope it continues to help you!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1976 on: July 23, 2020, 02:20:44 am »
Mitochon-what?!

;D ...drion. Mi-to-chon-dri-on   ;D

Say after me: oxidative phosphorylation and cellular respiration  ;D

Offline >>ThumpįC

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #1977 on: July 23, 2020, 02:17:44 pm »
Mitochon-what?!

;D ...drion. Mi-to-chon-dri-on   ;D

Say after me: oxidative phosphorylation and cellular respiration  ;D

what she said
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1978 on: July 23, 2020, 02:26:40 pm »

One more thing, then I'll go back to the Zog thread.  :peepwall:

Two persons very dear to me taught me these two, and they help me every single day:

1. You are what you repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act but a habit.

2. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.

That is all.  :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:30:04 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #1979 on: July 23, 2020, 04:18:47 pm »

One more thing, then I'll go back to the Zog thread.  :peepwall:

Two persons very dear to me taught me these two, and they help me every single day:

1. You are what you repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act but a habit.

2. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.

That is all.  :)
Wise words, pity so few people practice them!
Keep on keeping on, is one of my favourites!
Dakar 650
SR 500