Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 210995 times)

Fudge and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #2000 on: August 01, 2020, 01:01:41 am »
You can also try acetone to get the oil off the parts.

Soldering chain links will at best give an iffy result. The heat differences between the links and the solder just too great. Maybe try brazing? Get a propane torch and some copper brazing rods?

Use baking soda as a "thickener" to glue stuff with superglue. It dries almost instantly, and excess can be sanded off quite easily.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2001 on: August 01, 2020, 08:57:28 pm »
1 August

In to the deep end to start off the month! I was nervous about the swim portion of the NSRI fitness assessment- 200m in 8minutes, in a wetsuit, booties and lifejacket.

More concerning was the temperature of the water. I don’t handle the cold well in general.
Well, we ran 2.5km first, and I warmed up nicely. Then I got my sweat on just pulling the wetsuit on!

The water turned out to be great, just that initial iciness as it runs down your back. The swim was tough, the buoyancy of the gear making it difficult to get a strong, consistent stroke. Couple with the fact that I haven’t swum like this since... primary school 🧐

Couldn’t have asked for better weather, and the other trainees and volunteers are a really lekker bunch. Looking forward to the next lesson!

But I am going to be sore tomorrow!

** typos corrected.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:52:47 pm by Sardine »

Online TeeJay

« Reply #2002 on: August 02, 2020, 05:03:04 pm »
Great stuff  :thumleft:

Building up for a triathlon I see......mmmmmmm!

You CAN do it  :3some:
Ja/Nee

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2003 on: August 02, 2020, 08:54:04 pm »
2 August

I am in need of a mountain walk. Or three. Time to start scheming!

I wasn’t as sore as I thought I would be, but I can still feel yesterday’s run and swim.
I had a really good morning study session of NSRI work, but it took me three hours to get through one chapter of nutrition coaching. Eish. I am nearing the end of this unit though. I think. And hopefully it will get better.

There is a lot of focus on the detailed biology of nutrition, and while I can understand the importance of knowing the theory, it does drag on.

Persevere I shall!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2004 on: August 03, 2020, 10:01:31 pm »
3 August

So I have had this song on my mind the last few days:
“These four lonely walls have changed the way I feel
The way I feel
I'm standing still”
~ Runnin’ by Naughty Boy

But when I Google’d the lyrics, I got them wrong and found this:

🎶
As the minutes turn to hours
With the fading of the daylight
And a heartbeat full of colour
Is turning into black and white
It's like every day
These four walls are closing in
On all you had and all you want
And all you love
🎶

All Four Walls by Gorgon City

I don’t like the music, but the lyrics are alright.

Anyway, point is, cabin fever is well and truly setting in.

Why don’t I head to the mountains, you ask?
Because I feel like I need to focus on the studying and stuff. I have told myself I will finiah the nutrition coach course, and I only have about 30 days left. Right now all I can manage is a chapter every second day, and I still have about 10 chapters left. I think. I am too scared to look in the next book. At least only 3 of those are from the really science-y technical unit.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2005 on: August 04, 2020, 07:38:00 pm »
4 August

Along with having a plan and sticking to it, I also discovered that other people doing the course I’m doing take up to a week to get through one chapter. No wonder I have been struggling: I have been pushing through one chapter per day!

That being said, I have decided to give the heavy science theory a break and look at a more practical section. Today went pretty well and I am enjoying it again.

The next few days are looking rather chilly. I think I will assume my position on top of, uh, I mean, next to, a heater with plenty of coffee on hand.

If you’re in the Helderberg, pop in at Jeff’s Bistro before 11:30 and say hi 😁

The following users thanked this post: edgy

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2006 on: August 05, 2020, 10:21:07 pm »
5 August

Saw snow on the Hottentots Mountains, no wonder it is so cold!

One of those days where it was a blur of activity, and you feel well and truly drained by the end of it. But happy.

And, saw a super sunrise and a super sunset. What more could you need!

“Be that person you want to have in your life.”

Ties in with surrounding yourself with the people who challenge you, but support you, and uplift you and push you out of your comfort zone just enough for you to realise that you can push past your limits.
Happy birthday, @edgy  ! 🥳💪🏻🍻

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2007 on: August 06, 2020, 10:08:08 pm »
6 August

I probably should run again, what with wanting to do another marathon in October. Ah well, at least my joints have been ever so slightly less creaky.

Are you living an inspiring life?

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2008 on: August 07, 2020, 07:53:15 pm »
7 August

My car was making bad sounds last night, so I went down to KSW, ready for them to tell me a wheel bearing needed to be replaced. I took my laptop and notes, ready to sit and wait while they replaced the bearing.

Fortunately, the bearing is still good. They reckon fresh tar got stuck between the brake caliper and disc. Phew!

But I still decided to park off and study. Amazing what a change of scenery does! I managed another chapter of my course, then headed to Jeff’s intending to study more. But wound up chatting instead. I decided to enjoy myself and not worry about studying more.

And then, at last, a flight! Over the beautiful green and yellow Cape countryside. Magic! My feet were useless but I could kind of maintain altitude and heading. My g-fitness, however, is non-existant! 🤣

After cleaning the bugs off and tucking the aerie in, we were off to coffee and a late lunch.
And as it was such a beautiful day, I went for a rustig walk alongside the river at Radloff, and then home for Mom’s roast chicken and potatoes.

Yeah, I’m happy with what I have. It has been a tough week. But days like this really help. Thank you, People. You are fantastic!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2009 on: August 08, 2020, 07:37:45 am »
If you’re in the Helderberg pop by and say hi at Jeff’s Bistro before 13:00 today 🙃

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2010 on: August 08, 2020, 08:58:03 am »
Just last week, I told a friend how bad it is to loose the privilege to fly. If it is as a result of losing a medical, or some other reason beyond one's control, then it is what it is, but when it's because of other, unnecessary circumstances, it's really hard to deal with. Well, it was for me.

Very happy that you got a chance to fly - that wing looks like an RV?   :drif:

I did my conversion and renewal on a Cirrus, last week. Flown for the first time in just more than a year and it was absolutely fantastic. Now I hope to get my twin rating and bring my new aircraft home, asap.
The insurance dealt me a curve ball, however. Need to fly 20 hours dual before I get covered to fly solo, so the twin rating will be a 2 - 3 week exercise. Very excited.

Keep it up and I hope to hear you in the air some time soon.  :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2011 on: August 08, 2020, 07:08:50 pm »
8 August

On Thursday I was assigned to an NSRI crew. There are two crews, and they rotate being on duty in two week cycles.

As luck would have it, my new crew was on duty this weekend. The only weekend in many where I wasn’t available. So I missed out on some training. But, there will be many more days to train. Tomorrow is brain training: I need to catch on on my studies!

It was a busy morning and time flew by. I love being so busy you can barely remember your name. I wasn’t even too shy about gooi-ing some Afrikaans to the Afrikaans customers. Very grateful to have an opportunity to earn some petrol money.

And check out those rusks! I can confirm that not only do they look good, but taste delicious too! Want to order? Let me know.

Grabouw Dogs, I hope you have battened down the hatches. Windy is looking spectacularly colourful, with wind gusts up to 49kts from midnight tonight.

Yeeha!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2012 on: August 09, 2020, 08:53:54 pm »
9 August

When I got to the chalkboard there was just enough writing left to make out what it said.
“No matter how stressed you are, don’t forget how blessed you are!”

Also... Sanlam Marathon entered! Time to start getting serious about running again. Who is joining?

When I first started running I thought there was no way I could do a half marathon, nevermind a full one! Then I realised that the beauty of these events is that you aren’t expect to run the full distance non-stop. It doesn’t matter if you walk, run, crawl or jog. It doesn’t matter how long it takes you. All that matters is that you get out there and have fun!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2013 on: August 10, 2020, 08:09:51 pm »
10 August

Already a third of the way into the month!

It was bitterly cold this morning, but I managed to drag myself outside, wearing last year’s CT Marathon tshirt to try motivate myself.

Despite the cold and wind, I had a good run. I don’t like hills, but I surprised myself at the pace I managed. Definitely need to do these at least once a week!

I completed my Precision Nutrition course this morning! Woohoo! But, it costs $300 (USD) to get the certificate. Worth it for something that doesn’t appear to be recognised as tertiary education? I need to do some research.

Had a really lekker beach walk. Nice to get out and enjoy the sunshine.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2014 on: August 11, 2020, 09:48:54 pm »
11 August

“Take a break, you don’t need to hold the world up today!”

I really need to apply these things to life. And tackle taking a break with as much discipline as I tackle my walks.

Also, hill runs are tough! Feeling it today! But looking forward to trying again next week to see if there is any improvement.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2015 on: August 12, 2020, 10:16:30 pm »
12 August

If you like piña colada’s, and getting caught in the rain... despite being on the go all morning, I managed to make time for a quick walk. Started off dry, had a couple of rain showers, and 25min later I got back a little colder and slightly damp, but happy that I got my walk done.

All I’d had to eat since 6am was a naartjie, so by 14:30 I was getting a little hangry. Not helped when I forgot my laptop in Strand and only realised 7km later. But, I told myself to chill, got my laptop, went to a coffee shop, ordered a sandwich, barely got stuck into my admin and was presented with a beast of a meal. The photo is the half I took as a takeaway for dinner. Yum! Thanks Jack & Jules Eatery. Grilled chicken club sandwich = winner!

After lunch and attempting to study, it was off to Gordons Bay for NSRI theory. That went pretty well. Now, after some decaf coffee and my “yoghurt crunch dessert”, bed. And tomorrow, up early for another day!🙂

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2016 on: August 12, 2020, 11:39:26 pm »
I have learnt more about your neck of the woods in this thread than I would any other place.
 :thumleft:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #2017 on: August 12, 2020, 11:42:41 pm »
 :sip:
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2018 on: August 13, 2020, 09:16:52 pm »
13 August

So much for taking it easy. Last night friends from the Eastern Cape called to say they were in town for a few nights, did I want to join on a hike in the morning?

I was tired and briefly considered declining the invite. But, I didn’t. Thank goodness! This morning was cool and overcast, and we met at the entrance to the Jonkershoek trails. After dealing with the new permit system, we were off to begin the Tweede Waterval Hike. Wow, just the drive to the trail head was spectacular!

The hike itself was amazing, with the thundering river as the backing track. There were many waterfalls, and lots if zig zagging and jumping of the path to keep our feet dry.
We did need to remove shoes and socks for a rather chilly river crossing though.

Unfortunately we couldn’t get up close to the waterfalls. There was too much water at the first, and a very large troop of vocal baboons at the second. But, it was still spectacular.

We headed into Stellenbosch for brunch and I was reminded of what a beautiful town it is. One that I really should explore more of.

The rest of the day has been a blur, and I think tomorrow will also be busy. But, I got my fix of fresh mountain air, and got to see my E.C. Friends, so I am happy 😊

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2019 on: August 14, 2020, 08:30:40 pm »
14 August

It isn’t easy to push through the excuses of why you shouldn’t do something. It’s really hard work and takes conscious effort. I was reminded of that today.

It would have been so easy to sleep the day away. And I came close to doing just that. But, after running my errands in town, I told myself that the first thing I’d do when I got home was put on my running kit.

And I did. No more excuses.
And off I went. It was cold and windy, but not unbearable.

Made some earrings this afternoon. Hopefully there’s some interest.

And something I don’t normally do: the collage of today has a photo from yesterday’s hike.
I didn’t take any nature photos today, and I have so many from yesterday.