Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 210844 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #2020 on: August 15, 2020, 01:32:03 am »
I would buy a pair of those ear rings, and wear them  :biggrin:

But I'm guessing the postage from SA to the USA would be horrendous  :xxbah:

I like them Heather, I like them a LOT  :drif:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2021 on: August 15, 2020, 08:25:32 pm »
15 August

So their “medium-pace” was my “fast sub-5km pace”. But, it was a good run nonetheless.
I thought it wouldn’t happen- it had been bucketing down all night. But when I got up I decided to get kitted up anyway.

And that was all the motivation I needed: once dressed I was ready to go, even though it was still raining.

The mountains are looking awesome. I walked the hills, and was huffing and puffing while the others weren’t even slightly red in the face.

My worries about joining a group of potentially fitter, stronger people disappeared. We were all there to just enjoy the mountain. No judgement.

At 7km they carried on but I decided “nope!” And turned back.

The hot shower and coffee once home was soo good!

Got some admin done in the afternoon, and had a lovely evening with friends. Thanks all!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2022 on: August 16, 2020, 02:06:30 am »
Just last week, I told a friend how bad it is to loose the privilege to fly. If it is as a result of losing a medical, or some other reason beyond one's control, then it is what it is, but when it's because of other, unnecessary circumstances, it's really hard to deal with. Well, it was for me.

Very happy that you got a chance to fly - that wing looks like an RV?   :drif:

I did my conversion and renewal on a Cirrus, last week. Flown for the first time in just more than a year and it was absolutely fantastic. Now I hope to get my twin rating and bring my new aircraft home, asap.
The insurance dealt me a curve ball, however. Need to fly 20 hours dual before I get covered to fly solo, so the twin rating will be a 2 - 3 week exercise. Very excited.

Keep it up and I hope to hear you in the air some time soon.  :thumleft:

Thanks @Tampan .
It is indeed an RV: RV-8. Fantastic little pocket-rockets. I probably have a good 20 hours sitting in the back of them, none of which I can log, unfortunately. I was in the process of getting signed off on an RV-7, but it kept having technical issues and I never finished the training. Now with the changes to the laws regarding familiarization and differences training, I'd need to travel to JHB to get signed out.  :dousing:

Awesome about the Cirrus and flying again!
What aircraft did you get?

---
Familiarization vs Differences training

Flying different aircraft isn't like going from a bakkie to a sports car: you can't just hop out one and into the other.
Well, you used to be able to.
In the USA, they class aircraft according to weights, so you can fly all aircraft within a certain weight category.

SA used to have the same system: an "open licence". But then, they decided to complicate things. So if I got signed out on a Cessna 152 (2-seater), and I wanted to fly a Cessna 172 (4-seater), I need to do written technical exam (on speeds and systems - the systems are pretty much identical), and most schools also require a 30-60minute flight to review emergencies and abnormal procedures.

That's "familiarization training".

Differences training is required if you are wanting to fly an aircraft with a new system, e.g. constant-speed propeller, or retractable landing gear, or a turbo-charged engine etc.
That requires ground training, written technical exam, and a couple hours' flying.

Once you had a system, converting to another aircraft would only require familiarization training.

AND THEN, the SA Civil Aviation Authority decided to make it even more difficult.
Now, if you are not already signed off on an aircraft of a certain make (Cessna, Beechcraft etc), you have to do Differences Training, regardless of whether or not you already have the systems.

So, I have 250hrs tail dragger experience, but I have to do differences training on the RV, because it is made by Vans, and I don't have a Vans aircraft on my licence.

THE CATCH.

To do differences training, the aircraft must be on a school training licence. Which requires paperwork and money, and results in lots of headaches and frustrations. What is worse, because the RV is not a "type certified aircraft" (most of them are owner-built kit-planes), I can't just ask for one to be put on an ATO. No, it must be an airframe that was built by the Vans factory.

And after asking around, I have determined there is an RV-7 in JHB I could do differences training on.
Then, I can do familiarization training on the RV-8.
 :lamer:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2023 on: August 16, 2020, 02:07:31 am »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2024 on: August 16, 2020, 03:16:11 am »
Also, I put rambles on "paper". https://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/2020/08/what-if-you-arent-good-enough.html

You ran 13 km.  That is about 12.8 km more than I can run right now.

Well done!  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #2025 on: August 16, 2020, 02:42:01 pm »

Quote from: Sardine on Today at 02:07:31 am
Also, I put rambles on "paper".
https://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/2020/08/what-if-you-arent-good-enough.html

That's great.
Always compete with yourself, then even when you loose against time you still come first. :)
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2026 on: August 16, 2020, 08:12:50 pm »
16 August

I couldn’t sleep. After 2 hours of tossing and turning, I got up around midnight and got to work creating a Facebook page for the MOMBiz Market, happening next month, where my Mom and I hope to sell some of our arts and crafts.

I can’t remember what else I did, but by 03:30 I decided to stop the “work” and do my workout. It was one of those ones where everything just flowed and felt controlled and focused. I thought I would be a lot more sore after yesterday’s run.

Then I got some inspiration in the form of a Youtube documentary about an epic endurance race: running a 4 mile loop within 1 hour. Every hour. Until only one person is left standing. 2019’s winner went for 50 hours 😳

By now it was about 6am, so I got ready for today’s adventure: The Pipe Track hike!
I poked my nose outside and promptly withdrew inside to put more layers on. It was ice cold.

As I was getting ready to leave I saw the most incredible double rainbow. I knew it would be a good day.

We made good time to Cape Town. I can’t remember when last I was there. And when got to the trail parking it was packed.

As we set off it started to rain. There was an icy wind. Lots of people. But wow, what a beautiful trail! The first few kilometers are easy gravel path, then it becomes a bit more rocky and technical. Incredible to think people hauled materials up there by hand to build the pipeline and pump stations.

We’re talking massive structures tucked into sheer rock. Wow!

With all the rain, the waterfalls were flowing and at about 6.5km we had to cross through one. Good thing I chose to take my heavy duty raincoat! We found a spot in the sun with a view and refueled.

I was starting to feel yesterday’s run. All the info I found on the trail said it’s about 8.5km each way. We had done 7km. Do we push on, or turn back? It may only be an extra 1.5km... one way. I decided to rather turn back. There will be other days to do the full trail.

There were rain showers throughout the morning, but fortunately it had warmed up nicely and I even had to shed layers. There was an awkward moment earlier where I had to make use of the facili(trees), but my hands were so cold and numb I couldn’t get my belt buckle open. Or closed 🤣 I managed eventually.

We shared the trail with a lot of runners and dog walkers. And almost everyone was friendly and happy. The vibe was fantastic.

And the views... breathtaking!
We spent almost 4 hours on the trail, and were ready for a hot coffee and lunch. We headed to one of my favourite spots: Franky’s Diner. I ordered their fantastic chicken mayo on cornbread. Delicious! It hit the spot.

After the busy few days and lack of sleep, I could have fallen asleep right there in the diner. But instead we walked down to the promenade and spent a few minutes taking in the sea. I really miss living in Green Point.

And then, around 2pm, home. It felt like about 5pm, and the last few days are a bit of a blur. But I am happy 🙂
It wasn’t a good day- it was a great one!

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2027 on: August 17, 2020, 08:05:42 am »
Morning Sardine,

The CAA is indeed making private flying in South Africa more and more difficult, almost to point where the whole experience becomes so unpleasant, that one sometimes wonder whether it's worth it to continue. The mind boggles at what they are able to think up, but I guess that's the African way - mostly.

To answer your question, I bought a Twin Comanche. Now, you would probably frown upon me deciding to buy a twin, but here's the good part: it is US registered and carries an N- registration number.
So, I basically have nothing to do with CAA, as far as the airplane and anything regarding it goes. Because the airplane is used in a private capacity, many items and components are maintained on condition and the airplane is not subjected to certain SB's. I never take any shortcuts with airplanes, but just the thought about having a choice makes me feel so much better. I'm sure you've experienced situations where a perfectly functioning component, an alternator for instance, becomes due for overhaul, as a result of the 500 hr/5 year rule. You send it in for overhaul, but then it comes back, now giving trouble endlessly and not functioning as it did before the overhaul?
Even the radio license is issued by the FAA and it's only renewable every 10 years!!!  :thumleft:

Best of all, I can basically do what I like in terms of adding instruments/avionics. As long as I'm using certified items, with an 8130 - which my avionics shop may issue. No more CAA mod approval application, costing an arm and a leg and taking months to get approved, or not, in most cases.

Not to speak of the whole renewal/differences/familiarization training and putting aircraft onto AOC's, that you mentioned...
I'm busy with that now and looking at all the ridiculousness, I'm seriously considering to get my FAA PPL. It's gonna cost a pretty penny, but once you have it, the flying world becomes a much better place.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2028 on: August 17, 2020, 09:09:02 pm »
17 August

Ok, who flipped the switch on the weather? Today has been ice cold!

Despite not getting to the beach for a walk, it was a good day. Apart from a few clicks and cricks from my knee and ankle, and a bit of stiffness in my calves, I’m feeling alright.

Still feel a bit of fatigue, but it felt so good to just pass out solidly last night. Hopefully tonight is the same!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2029 on: August 18, 2020, 08:17:01 pm »
18 August

All geared up for a big day 😏

I was on the go pretty much the whole day, my mood steadily deteriorating. And I only realised why now- I had a very small breakfast. Hangry is a thing!

But, I got a lot done. Not necessarily the stuff I set out to achieve today, but that’s ok.

The rain cleared and I contemplated hitting the hills for a run. But when my knees and ankles started clicking as I power-walked my way around town, I decided to rather take it easy today.

Curry was good. It’s a relatively quick (for a curry) one-pot dish.

Not quite spicy enough for me (my family doesn’t do spicy), but the other flavours worked nicely. Especially the peanut butter 🤤
I have added some extra zing to the left overs, so we’ll see how that goes tomorrow after they have had time to sit 🤣

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2030 on: August 20, 2020, 07:23:30 am »
19 August

Didn’t get around to posting last night due to loadshedding.

Such a beautiful day. I’m glad it’snlight by 7am, but not enjoying the cold. No matter how many layers I wear, I end up with frozen toes and blue fingers.

Messages for the day...
“Thankful for loving sisters.”
“Look back one last time, then never again. What is coming is far more exciting!”

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #2031 on: August 20, 2020, 10:22:07 am »
So diligently posting every day - good on you little fish! Keep at it - I read your posts every morning - THANK YOU!
Ja/Nee

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #2032 on: August 20, 2020, 03:23:44 pm »
So diligently posting every day - good on you little fish! Keep at it - I read your posts every morning - THANK YOU!

What he said!  You're my morning coffee read!  :sip:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2033 on: August 20, 2020, 08:30:56 pm »
20 August

Speaking of flair. Yeaterday I showed a barista the coffee I got from a Seattle Coffee Co branch in JHB last year, where the barista had made the most adorable latte art in the form of a bear.

So today this barista has been practicing, and he’s really starting to get the technique down. It’s really cool to see the progression.

Guess it just goes to show... practice makes perfect. I need to apply that to my clocks.

And stop loading my plate with so many “to-do’s”. 🙄

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2034 on: August 21, 2020, 11:03:07 pm »
21 August

I can’t even words tonight. 😴

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2035 on: August 22, 2020, 07:43:39 pm »
22 August

I was stressing about the NSRI assessment. The past week has been busier than anticipated and I didn’t get to study nearly as much as I would have liked. My ropework is also my weak point.

Turns out my stress was for nothing. It was a relatively straightforward theoretical test; no practical ropework was required. Phew!

I have now tied shoelaces to my water bottle so every time I drink water, I am reminded to practice the differenr knots.

That out of the way earlier than expected, I opted to take it easy for the rest of the day. Despite very strong coffee, I was still tired from yesterday.

Joined the family on an outing. Took a ride on a mini steam train. Wow! So cool! I love the sound of trains as they move over the tracks. And there was even a bridge and a tunnel. The sound and feel was just like a full-size train.

My grandfather would have been in his element: he loved trains and even built a mini steam train about 1ft long.

Took a late afternoon walk around the cabbage patch with my sister. My body still protesting from last weekend’s run and hike. But the lovely evening made up for it.
Fairy messages today:
“Thankful for meals cooked with love.”
“You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved!”

Who else is moving mountains? Or dangling off the edge? Or standing on the summit? Or taking that first step?

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #2036 on: August 23, 2020, 08:24:03 am »
@Sardine a belated congratulations on your thread reaching 100 pages.  We enjoy your journey and lovely writing style a lot.  Thanks for just being you.  You are an inspiration and source of reading enjoyment to many Heather. Thanks for that.

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #2037 on: August 24, 2020, 08:54:28 am »
Where did you ride on the model miniature steam train?
Look forward to seeing what you can create with all those bicycle parts...  Next time you are at a bike shop, ask them if they have any broke shocks that they are throwing out, some interesting bits inside which your creative mind might turn into jewelry.
Speaking about the "run once every hour" concept, have a look at this guy down under, very inspiring and generally nice guy:
https://youtu.be/EvT5XS7j-Dc
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #2038 on: August 25, 2020, 07:54:23 am »
Are you okay little fish?
Ja/Nee

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2039 on: August 25, 2020, 09:11:15 am »
Are you okay little fish?
Yeah also wondering?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.