Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 213823 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #2040 on: August 26, 2020, 07:45:10 pm »
A backlog of daily walks. I have still been doing at least one mile a day. Unfortunately writing about each day has dropped a few notches on the priority ranking. But here are the summaries from the past few days.

Thank you for your concern, folks. I needed some time away to get a bit of headspace. It wasnít nearly enough, but better than nothing.

It really means a lot knowing that you guys appreciate my posts, and check in regularly. Jislaaik, lots of dust in the air tonight.

More updates soon.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline >>ThumpįC

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #2041 on: August 26, 2020, 08:48:34 pm »
welcome back!!
When you say the smell of weed? dagga or onkruid? :)
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #2042 on: August 27, 2020, 07:34:30 am »
That would be dagga - lots of Rasta's living in Greyton - it permeates the air  :imaposer:

Welcome back little fish - glad to see you havn't been abducted by aliens - yet  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2043 on: August 27, 2020, 08:46:28 pm »
27 August

No photos from today, unfortunately.

Big day- 27/08/2009 I flew solo for the first time. 11 years. Wow.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2044 on: August 28, 2020, 10:37:02 pm »
28 August

Good run this morning.
It rained on and off all day, the temperature steadily dropping.

There has been the odd thunder clap and flash of lightning, but nothing too hectic. 🥶

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2045 on: August 30, 2020, 07:14:36 pm »
29 August

Despite being a cold and rainy day, lots of people came from brunch at Fred and Max, so I was kept busy on my feet all morning.

I forget that people canít see me smile when I greet or talk to them, what with the mask, and having worked around people a lot this past week made me realise that we are all emphasizing our smiles with our eyes.
We are all going to be sporting serious crows-feet by this time next year🤣

Despite the cold, it was nice to go for an afternoon walk and soak up the fresh air after being indoors most of the day.

Last weekend I went camping and my niece thought it was cool and has been ďcampingĒ in her tent in her room.

Last night I set up my tent in the lounge, and we camped together. It was really cool and I canít wait until it is warm enough for us to camp in the garden, and maybe next year her and I can go on a proper one night camping trip!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2046 on: August 30, 2020, 07:15:20 pm »
30 August

Our lounge-camping went fairly well. We were both fast asleep by 19:45.

After getting head-butted mulitple times, and being pushed to the edge of the mattress, and having the duvet pulled off of me, I decided to migrate to the couch around midnight.

My niece woke up not long after and went to head-butt her parents instead 🤣

I slept until about 7am, having declared today a proper rest day. No admin, no clock-making, just try chill. But, something said I should go to Radloff. So I went, and had a walk. I could see some snow but the light wasnít great.

I Googled Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve and saw they had had good snow. Sorted. I called up a friend and off we went.
My first time hiking Mont Rochelle. It is beautiful. Quite a steep 3.5km hike took us to the Uitkyk point in about 1.5hrs. Most of the snow had melted, but there was enough to crunch in and make snow balls, and quite a few people had made snowmen.

We could see people in the thicker snow high up on the ridge line. I guessed it would have been another hourís hike, and I wasnít prepared with snacks (or mentally). So we enjoyed the view and called it a day.

The hike back was a lot quicker. The traffic had lightened and it was mostly downhill.
The clouds were rolling in and the temperature was dropping, so I was glad to be getting off the mountain. And yet people were still going up, some in slippers nogals! 🤦🏼‍♀️

A well-deserved roosterkoek and vetkoek were had at Paulinaís at Rickety Bridge. Highly recommend!

A lekker chilled day. Tomorrow, let the week begin!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2047 on: August 31, 2020, 07:56:26 pm »
Mods, please remove if not allowed.

This Sunday 6 September, I will be at the MOMBiz Market in Somerset West. I am selling clocks and jewelry that has been made out of recycle bicycle parts. My Mom will join me, and she has clocks made from old records, as well as paintings of various mediums.

If you are in the area, please come and support the market. There will be a wide variety of stalls and vendors ranging from arts and crafts to fudge, to coffee to food, as well as live music.

The market starts at 11:00, and is opposite the police station.

We will also be there on 27 September and 1 November.

Here is the FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/624432288431902/
And background on what MOMBiz is about: https://www.facebook.com/MOMBizMarket

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2048 on: August 31, 2020, 08:34:45 pm »
31 August

My feet are a little dead. But I am enjoying having a reason to get up in the morning, and being able to work. Amazing how many skills I used as a pilot can be applied to working as a waitress.

Communication, team work, attention to detail, situational awareness. I can even wear almost the same uniform!

Unfortunately work today meant I couldnít donate blood. But hopefully I can go next week!

Severe weather warning for tomorrow. Better get my walk/run in early!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2049 on: September 01, 2020, 07:47:45 pm »
1 September

With severe weather warnings from the afternoon, I decided to get out for my mile early on. So after a rather brutal Centr6 workout (which had my quads freling like jello), I stepped out into the dark morning and was greeted with a beautiful full moon.

The howling wind wasnít actually howling- the trees on the property made it seem worse than what it was, and I decided to do a slow run instead of walk.

And once I reached the hill where I have been doing my hill sprints once a week I figured I may as well do a couple. My quads really felt like jello then! But I managed 7 sprints so I am happy.

It was so nice to hear the world wake up... feet pounding pavement, slightly laboured breathing, the wind in the trees, birds twittering, and the sky getting lighter.

By 8am I was out the door and ready to tackle my tasks. I did two adventure-write-ups (awesome working out of Jeffís Bistro- great coffee, wifi, comfortable, and they sell muffins too now!) and just need to add photos, and I got more goodies for my clocks.

I didnít get to assemble as many re-cycled earrings as I hoped- cleaning the parts is very time-consuming. But, I should have enough variety for Sundayís market.

Pictured is my ďofficeĒ at Jeffís Bistro, the dog in the best spot in the house, and my Funky Foto Frames.

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2050 on: September 01, 2020, 08:36:54 pm »
Very cool. Best of luck on Sunday Iím sure it will be great.
Have you tried jewellery cleaner? Not sure if itís cost effective though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #2051 on: September 02, 2020, 02:24:00 am »
We see a bit of doggo now and then... what is doggo's name, please?  :)

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2052 on: September 02, 2020, 07:33:40 pm »
2 September

Itís not often we get thunder in the Cape. One of my favourite things about living in Botswana was the summer storms. The most tremendous thunder, and mesmerising lightning, shows you can possibly imagine.

Walking early in the dark sure beats walking in the rain after 7hrs+ on my feet. No such thing as the perfect time- just get it done.

Got some studying and errands to do tomorrow. And I need to figure out how to transport all of these clocks to the market!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2053 on: September 03, 2020, 07:25:17 pm »
@Mrs. Zog

Mowgli is the old man. A labrador/great dane/who knows what, he can be an absolute fluff ball, but is mostly grumpy. Here he is pictured on his chair. Yes. His.

Alvin is the middle child. A ďlurcherĒ he is a greyhound x flat-coat retriever. The most amazing personality, he can be a bit of a twit. But is actually secretly quite clever. He sort of adopted me. And he doesnít like feet. Donít touch his feet, and donít touch him with your feet.

Lastly is Dawie. My BILís dog. I donít like him. The dog.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2054 on: September 03, 2020, 07:25:47 pm »
3 September

Making clocks and earrings and whatnot is somewhat theraputic. Cleaning all of the parts however, is not.

The bigger items like chainrings and cassetts are ok, but the chains... it is tedious to say the least. Each chain get three washes in a soap-thinners-turps-whatever-I-can-find mix. Then they get scrubbed with scrubbing brushes, steel wool and tooth brushes.

And then when I break the chain into the individual links, each link gets sanded and cleaned with a cloth. And after all that... they still arenít clean!

Why did I decide to do this again? 😅

Dinner tonight was stirfry and pork. I tried baking the pork steaks in a sort of broth. 190degC for about 30min. Before serving I whacked them in a hot pan for some colour. Came out nice and tender and flavourful. 😊

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2055 on: September 03, 2020, 09:21:08 pm »
Those break disks clocks are cool.
Interesting that you didnít add the pork to the stir fry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #2056 on: September 04, 2020, 02:17:55 am »
Thanks for the doggie descriptions!  :thumleft:

What are the colorful backings of the clocks made of?

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2057 on: September 04, 2020, 05:13:11 pm »
4 September

May the 4th be with you. I needed The Force today. But I somehow got through the chaos without mistakes. Not too sure how as it is all a complete blur.
I am very thankful for patient customers.

And very eager to pass out on the new mattress that arrived for me today!

Now for some admin for the market on Sunday.
And recap some stuff for NSRI training tomorrow.

Sleep and rest? Nah! I got coffee 🤣

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2058 on: September 04, 2020, 05:16:36 pm »
@BOZO , thank you!
Some steaks were a lot more fatty, and my sister and I donít like fat as much as my BIL. Also easier to measure portions this way.

@Mrs. Zog, welcome!
Backings are cardboard.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2059 on: September 05, 2020, 08:06:30 pm »
Good luck with the market tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine