Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 213824 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #2060 on: September 05, 2020, 08:45:33 pm »
5 September

It has been a while since I was on a boat. And the first time zooming about the sea like that. It was awesome! Lots of holding on and trying to keep my footing, got to learn the radio lingo and do some basic navigation.

And learnt that just a few seconds of looking at the GPS is enough to have me turn green. I didnít feed the fishes, but I am only just starting to feel normal.

Great day out and first practical training on the boat.

Tomorrow is market day. See you at the MomBiz Market in Aid Of Rape CRISIS from 11:00 !

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2061 on: September 06, 2020, 07:28:49 pm »
6 September

The day started cool and windy, but soon warmed up and the wind died down.

Apart from packing and unpacking the cars, setting up our stand, then taking down the stand, re-packing and un-packing the cars, today was quite restful.

I didnít have the usual chaos going on in my mind about not being productive, or running through to do lists. I sat and watched people. Chatted to new faces and saw old ones. Some came from nearby, and some from afar.

Thank you to everyone who showed support by coming to the market, or being there in spirit.

I made two sales, and learnt about what needs to be done for the next one (20 September). Itís a start.

Afterwards, sunburnt and dehydrated, I didnít feel like doing much of anything. So I rearranged my room 🤣 and still had 20 minutes until dinner. I contemplated a walk but decided to rather save it for after dinner and do 10 minutes of strength-exercises aimed towards runners (I do have a marathon coming up next month after all 😳).

After a delicious dinner of roast pork, I went for a sunset walk around the neighbourhood. My what a glorious evening. I canít wait for those summer evenings when I can get out after a hot day and feel the world as it finally cools down and slows down.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2062 on: September 07, 2020, 08:21:52 pm »
7 September

I did not want to run today, no I did not, running seemed too much effort, and my muscles felt vrot.

But the longer I sat there
On that warm comfy couch,
The more I realised
I would regret being a slouch.

So I plotted a route up there in my head, decided on long and flat, and then I said:
ďGet off your butt, go out and run
You will feel better, may even find it fun.Ē

Well, fun it was not, but feel better I did,
Can you imagine if I had just quit.

ó-

Donate blood if you can, folks. You get cookies and juice boxes. They are nice cookies.

My 5th WCBS donation and I think my 6th in total. Donating blood while working as a pilot was always difficult because of the laws on how long we have to wait until we may fly again. So itís great to be able to donate twice within 6 months!

I normally feel fine the first day or two after and overdo things, then feel really terrible. So I will force myself to take it easy. Especially after todayís run.

A big thanks to KSW Service Center in Gants- they helped me out with a faulty electric window today. No fuss, no worries, done with a smile, and no charge for their time. You guys are great!

Also, if you are a DIYer, or food or drink maker, the MOMBiz Market is in need if vendors. Next market is on 20 September!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2063 on: September 08, 2020, 07:19:43 pm »
Where did you ride on the model miniature steam train?
Look forward to seeing what you can create with all those bicycle parts...  Next time you are at a bike shop, ask them if they have any broke shocks that they are throwing out, some interesting bits inside which your creative mind might turn into jewelry.
Speaking about the "run once every hour" concept, have a look at this guy down under, very inspiring and generally nice guy:
https://youtu.be/EvT5XS7j-Dc

@Bergie I can't remember if I replied to you. Sorry!
The train was at: https://www.winelandsrail.co.za/

I've watched quite a few of Beau Mile's videos. Some good stuff. I think he also ate his weight in tinned beans. It was like a month of eating 3-6 tins of beans per day.
An interesting challenge. I would like to try something like that just to see what happens, but would want to go for a proper body composition analysis before and after. Maybe when I have a job again.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2064 on: September 09, 2020, 02:02:07 am »
Happy you are now at the NSRI, one organisation I have also volunteered at and support.
Good on you Sardine, the right doors will open but I'm holding thumbs it will involve a B1900 :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2065 on: September 09, 2020, 07:32:44 pm »
9 September

Managed 15 minutes of strength training this morning. The body just wasnít up to doing any more. And I didnít have time. But I can already feel improvements after doing this workout two days a week, for the past 3 weeks.

I decided to do a quick walk. The calm before the storm as it were.

If it hadnít been for the traffic noise, houses, lights, tar roads... I could have been anywhere.

Great morning, cool but not cold, and lots of birds twittering about.

Then it was school drop-off and off to work where I hit the ground running and didnít really stop until 15:30. Itís nice because time goes by fast, but itís hard work both physically and mentally.

Fortunately tomorrowís schedule isnít too action-packed. Yet!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2066 on: September 10, 2020, 12:20:47 pm »
I managed to get some good photos of my recycled clocks and crafts from the market on Sunday, and I have added them to my Facebook page.

Please go take a look and if you see something you like, do let me know.

I was pretty secretive about my "little" DIY project. I wanted to get products finished before talking about what I was up to.

When at a local bike shop, I saw a bicycle wheel clock. It looked pretty tacky and I thought "I can do better than that!"
So I asked the store if they have any parts destined for the rubbish bin that I could have. Two bike shops and three boxes of parts later, I began.

re-Cycle was born.
Combining my love of bicycles with keeping busy doing something practical.

I thought it would be easy. Clean the parts, attach a clock movement and some hands, and boom. Easy pocket money. No. Nothing in life is easy. Or free. Nothing worth doing, at least.
Also, I am a bit of perfectionist.

So just cleaning the parts takes hours. The discs and cassettes and chain-rings are ok, but the chains are an absolutely nightmare!

All I saw was clutter and chaos. And once I had started buying goodies from the craft shop, I found I couldn't stop! My little DIY side hustle was becoming a burden. But, I don't like to give up. So I signed up for a market which gave me a deadline. And I got to work.

The work I have been doing as a waitress helped me during the market as I had been learning how to be approachable and open, and didn't have any fear when it came to talking to strangers.
I sold one clock and two bracelets.

A start.

While the actual assembly of the items is therapeutic, the cleaning process is just way too time consuming.
So I would like to sell what I have made, use the rest of the parts I have cleaned, and bits and bobs that I have bought, and at the very least, break even.

I'm in Somerset West, collection is preferred. But, where there is a will, there is a way!

If you have an idea of something you'd like, let me know - custom designs are an option. I have about 5kg of discs, chain-rings and cassettes left. And considering how light these components have become, that is a lot of raw material to work with!

https://www.facebook.com/re.Cycl3

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2067 on: September 10, 2020, 09:52:27 pm »
10 September

Sound...

The sound of children laughing has got to be one of the most beautiful sounds there is.

I watched my niece at Playball today. It was my second time there. The first time it was just her and the teacher, but today another boy her age was there.

Not only was it incredible to see how much she has progressed with her motor skills, but to see her interact with her friend was quite something.

Things that were so silly and irrelevant to me as an adult had them laughing like hyena. And as I watched and listened, I found myself laughing too. And the more I laughed and soaked up their joy and excitement, the more I felt the tension leave my body.

Laughter really is the best medicine. And itís infectious too.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2068 on: September 12, 2020, 04:55:25 am »
11 September

Such a stunning walk, I even managed to block out all of the 8am traffic.
I have lived in this area for over 15 years, and I always find it amazing how much stuff I have failed to see. Like beautiful wooden gates, and houses with amazing gardens.

It makes me realise that we are on autopilot most of the time, and sometimes we just to need to slow down, take a walk, and not just look, but actually see.

It was a busy evening and another great performance by Jesse Jordan. I only did 11 000 steps at work 😅 I was going to do a 10km run this weekend, but my feet are a little dead!

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2069 on: September 12, 2020, 05:13:09 am »
True what you say Sardine, I have also discovered the value and beauty of hiking and actually 'seeing'  :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2070 on: September 12, 2020, 09:34:27 pm »
Thanks, Tom 😊

12 September

Roll on summer!

That is all. I should have had a nap today. Tom and Gary both got over-tired voice notes from me today, so they can attest to my tiredness 🤣

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2071 on: September 13, 2020, 08:35:24 pm »
Your pictures of the sea makes me homesick big time Sardine, and I am definitely going on a roadtrip once back home!
Strongs with the NSRI lectures, I could not help being a bit boared in the classroom looking forward each time to get out on in in the water. I so loved the water drills and think you may soon find yourself rolling over the edge of that RIB going at full speed to start with physical rescue training which is just awesome!!
Enjoy!! :thumleft: :laughing4:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2072 on: September 13, 2020, 08:56:14 pm »
How Much Do You Like Pie?

Enough to want get up at 5am and drive an hour, only to park your car at a random campsite, hop on your bicycle and cycle 35km one way to have a pie? And then cycle back.

Towards the end of August I disappeared for a few days. I was in Greyton. And Riviersonderend. And Swellendam. Satisfying my cravings for fresh air, calm, and food!

https://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/2020/09/how-much-do-you-like-pie.html

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2073 on: September 13, 2020, 09:37:25 pm »
13 September

About 25 minutes into my walk, it started to rain. I could have turned right and walked the 200m home. But I decided to apply the whole "life is about learning to dance in the rain" mentality. So I turned left and carried on. It is only water after all.

Good thing I did, because it rained for all of two minutes, then cleared and I was treated to a view of Strand as rain fell by the sea; it looked like an eerie mist had settled between the buildings.

Then it was off to visit friends. A great catch-up with good coffee and food. And cake. And the biggest croissants I have ever seen! They were a good 25cm long! AND filled with custard!

I realised I have been watching too many home renovation shows when I walked into the public bathroom and immediately noticed the back splash, thinking "that's a nice back splash, but it doesn't work with those tiles".

Then it was on the road and I visited various suburbs, dropping off clocks and bracelets.

Thank you so much to those who are supporting re-Cycle, be it through sharing posts or buying items. I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:38:08 pm by Sardine »

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2074 on: September 13, 2020, 09:50:28 pm »
How Much Do You Like Pie?

Enough to want get up at 5am and drive an hour, only to park your car at a random campsite, hop on your bicycle and cycle 35km one way to have a pie? And then cycle back.

Towards the end of August I disappeared for a few days. I was in Greyton. And Riviersonderend. And Swellendam. Satisfying my cravings for fresh air, calm, and food!

https://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/2020/09/how-much-do-you-like-pie.html
Really beautiful countryside

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2075 on: September 15, 2020, 06:45:12 am »
14 September

Not quite a manic Monday.

Fast run was ok. I had to dig into the cookie jar a little to tell myself to keep going: I start my fast runs off downhill, then it's relatively flat from the there. But I think I did the downhill a bit too fast, so not even 500m in I was not enjoying it. But I knew that my muscles just needed to warm up, so I tried my best to relax and focus on my breathing, and it got better from there.

Rained on and off most of the day, and it was relatively quiet at work. I tried some interesting "coffee". Looks like dirt, smells like chocolate and berries. Tastes like chocolate and berries. Very smooth, not acidic, but quite bitter. Certainly an acquired taste!

Another market around the corner! o_O

Nice to be a dog...

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2076 on: September 15, 2020, 09:21:24 pm »
15 September

I realised I spend way too much time making breakfast. Sure I could have some oats ready in 5 minutes, but I find Iím hungry within an hour. So itís eggs and veggies.

Tomorrow I am working a double shift so I spent this afternoon meal-prepping. Breakfast, dinner for tonight (with enough for left overs on Thursday!) and lunch for tomorrow.

I made a breakfast bake, which I can divide and have brekkie ready within 10 minutes for the next 3 days. I hope.

I also made a heap of French Waffles- aniseed bread dunked in egg and cooked in a waffle iron. These are nice because I can reheat them in the toaster. They make a good base for an egg and avo sandwich! Or good olí cinnamon and syrup.

As for baked beans and meatballs in a tin... that was lunch for today. The meatballs look like dog food. Smell like dog food. Fortunately they donít taste like dog food! Yes, I speak from experience...
Not something Iíd crave, but a good hiking meal.

Now, the trick is to not forget my lunch in the fridge tomorrow! Itís going to be a long day!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2077 on: September 17, 2020, 03:55:03 pm »
16 September

Only posting now because yesterday was a long day! I put myself down for a double shift so it meant walking early as I would be at work from 07:45 until late.

I canít remember much of the walk. I am a little bored of walking the same streets though. Oh, yes. I decided I wonít do hill sprints this week. So I made sure to tackle as many hills as possible on the walk. At least that got me warmed up.

Also, I am stoked to have another adventure article be chosen to be featured on The Outbound Collective. Remember I went quiet for a few days towards the end of August? I was searching for Pie.

https://www.theoutbound.com/heather-arnold-2/how-much-do-you-like-pie

Despite a long day on my feet at work, and quite a busy morning, it wasnít too bad overall. I didnít feel as tired as I did after a late shift last Friday.

But wow. Doing this job has given me newfound respect for people who work two jobs to try make ends meet. And to the parents and single parents who not only parent but also work two jobs... you are superheroís. We all have our own struggles and battles, and at the end of the day I believe everything in life is relative.
But to be on your feet 8-12hrs a day, 5-7 days a week, nevermind raise a family... how?!

Well, being unemployed and now part-time employed in a completely different field, I am learning a lot about myself and life in general.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2078 on: September 17, 2020, 08:51:36 pm »
17 September

I didnít feel like doing much of anything today. And I tried not to beat myself up about it. Yesterday was a long day.

But as I got moving and warmed up a little it became easier to tick off some to-doís. I decided today was the day for Jeffís new steak sandwich, at Jeffís Bistro in Strand.

I wanted to do a long run this week anyway. So I decided to run down and meet my Mom for lunch. After my fast run earlier this week I realised I was within reach of my sub-1hr 10km. Would today be the day?

2-3km in, headwind, getting warmer than Iíd planned, it didnít feel like it. It got better when I reached the beachfront but it was still tough.

At the end of the day, the goal was a 10km run. If I made my time goal or not wasnít an issue. But at 8km, when I turned and had a slight tailwind, I realised I was within reach of my goal. So I pushed. And hoped I wouldnít have to wait for traffic at intersections.

It was a tough final push, but I made it! So chuffed!

On walking into Jeffís I was greeted by a delicious display of muffins, rusks and Scotty Dog Shortbread. Mmmm, so tempting! But I resisted and instead focused on what I had come here for:

A fantastic steak sandwich. The most tender steak topped with delicious caramalised onions, and a mustard and mayo sauce. Absolutely delicious!

I am feeling tired now! Just walking up a flight of stairs had my legs turning to jelly. But I feel so good!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #2079 on: September 17, 2020, 11:49:42 pm »
Congratulations on reaching your time goal and having another article published! The write-up was great, but the photos stole the show!

That sandwich...  :drif: Could you give as detailed a description it as possible so I can attempt to re-create that?  :drif:

Also, you probably said before and I missed it somehow. Where do you work now? I know you said you work part-time. Just curious  :)

The following users thanked this post: Sardine