Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 213826 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #2080 on: September 18, 2020, 02:22:43 pm »
Congratulations on reaching your time goal and having another article published! The write-up was great, but the photos stole the show!

That sandwich...  :drif: Could you give as detailed a description it as possible so I can attempt to re-create that?  :drif:

Also, you probably said before and I missed it somehow. Where do you work now? I know you said you work part-time. Just curious  :)

Thanks Alex!

Regular hamburger bun with a bed of lettuce and tomato. Topped with strips of tender steak, caramalised onions and what tasted like a mustard and mayo sauce.

I am waitressing at a coffee shop/restaurant called Fred & Max.
Afternoon/night shift today and it’s music night tonight, so probably going to be a late one, and I am sore and tired after yesterday’s run! 😴
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:24:38 pm by Sardine »

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2081 on: September 19, 2020, 12:18:08 am »
18 September

What a beautiful morning. Sunny and warm, but it didn’t last long. Come 4pm it was gloomy and raining.

Yesterday’s run had me feeling very flat today. Not to mention stiff. It feels like I had run another marathon. But the more I moved, the better I felt.

The morning was a bit of a haze of slow motion. I got some tasks done, not as much as I wanted but I was just not feeling it. About 5 cups of coffee later and it was time to go to work.

Another music evening, fortunately not as chaotic as last Friday, but a late night nonetheless.

Now... do I even bother going to sleep? I need to be up in 4.5hrs.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2082 on: September 19, 2020, 07:21:40 pm »
19 September

Free access. Mountains. Hiking. Great weather.

I can rest tomorrow! 😅

A beautiful day out, but a tough 16km hike of Jonkershoek’s Panorama Circuit.

A chilly start had us heading towards the Tweede Waterval. And then we tackled the climb. My legs didn’t feel strong, and I am grateful I remembered my trusty walking stick, which I found on a hike outside of Grahamstown and have had in my car ever since.

The views on this hike are spectacular, and looking back down the valley and seeing how much height we had gained, it was no wonder I was tired! It had warmed up nicely and we had left the crowds with only the odd group of trail runners passing by.

After about 8-9km and a LOT of climbing we reached slightly flatter terrain and had lunch with a view. Then it was a zig-zag descent reminiscent of one of those “world’s most dangerous road” pictures.

And on to the most beautiful contour path. And finally, a long descent of steps, not unlike the final two days of Mt. Kilimanjaro’s Machame Route. All of us had jello-knees and legs!

What a super day! Thanks to those who made it happen!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #2083 on: September 20, 2020, 03:03:18 am »
Wow, the views! I miss hiking so much.

Years ago I hiked the Grand Canyon with my two best friends, Steve from the UK and Jorg from Germany. We managed to get the three of us aligned in time and space and made an epic vacation out of it: Las Vegas, Death Valley, Grand Canyon.

We took the Bright Angel Trail, which goes from the rim down to the Colorado River. The distance is 18.4 miles (29.6 km) over an elevation change from rim to river of 4980 ft (1517 m). At the halfway point they strongly caution you not to go on if you want to make it back up before dark, but we went all the way down to the river and spent the night there, then back up the next day. At dawn we stood at the bottom and looked up and just felt despair, knowing what was ahead, we had to get back up there.

I'm not exaggerating... I could not walk normally for about a week, and I was really fit back then. First jelly legs, then just paralyzing muscle spasms and pain. Down was worse than up. Several mule trains passed us, and when we were about 2/3 of the way back up, one train had an "empty" mule and they offered to take our packs up for us the rest of the way. DEAL!  ;D ;D ;D 

One of the best things I ever did. Epic. That was a bucket list item ticked off.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2084 on: September 20, 2020, 09:51:03 pm »
20 September

I entered a virtual cycling event, which required cycling 25km on 19 or 20 September.

I knew it would be tough, following my fast 10km run and yesterday’s hike. I also thought it was only 20km. Thank goodness I checked the event info before leaving the house!

I plotted a route that was mostly flat, and decided to take it easy. It was forecast to rain at some point, so I donned the wet weather gear... a raincoat with a torn sleeve 🤣

It was a little windy, but as I was zig-zagging around neighbourhoods it was bearable. That being said, it got a little boring, but it was the easiest way to keep the route flat. Ish. Flat-ish.

10km in and I was getting tired. Not sore, just drained. I have been reading Can’t Hurt Me by David Goggins, and he talks about digging in to the cookie jar. When times get tough, think about tough times in the past, and how you got through them. I have been a lot more cold, exhausted and miserable than I was today.

Also, I had the treat of a literal cookie to look forward to: a giant one at that. Like, as big as my hand.

So I missioned on. And it started to drizzle.
And then I stopped by Paris for a quick visit. Woohoo! Viva travel!

At about 15km I pulled into the petrol station where I bought the giant cookie. And a chocolate. The chocolate kicked in at about the 20km mark. By then it was raining properly and I was taking on hills.

No matter which route I take, there will also be a hill or two to get home. So I opted to tackle one or two tough ones a little sooner and get them out of the way. I wonder how many people I pass when I am huffing and puffing up a hill, head down, muttering away...

I got home, drenched and tired. But I figured, well, I am already soaked, I may as well go do my walk and go to the shops. So I switched out rain coats, got my backpack and set off via the fairy message... which meant going up the hill!

My legs were like lead. They had passed the point of the muscles hurting. There wasn’t a message on the board, but I had the wind and rain at my back as I headed down to the shops, so I felt okay about the lack of motivational message.

As I reached the road where I could turn right to the shops, or left and head home, I decided “you know what, I’m done.” My fingers were purple from the cold. I did not fancy walking up the hill with several kilograms of groceries on my back. I was 1km in, and I realised that “just enough is good enough”. I didn’t need the 1.5km that going to the shops would add.

So I turned left, walked around the block, got my mile and called it a day.

After a hot shower and some coffee I felt a little better. A nap was tempting but it didn’t happen. I ran out of time. Wow. Who runs out of time to have a nap?!

If you don’t push yourself, how will you determine how far you can go? And what you need to push past that point.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2085 on: September 21, 2020, 08:27:25 pm »
Another August Adventure write-up. Not quite as intense as my cycle for pie.

https://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/2020/09/sunday-snow-search.html

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2086 on: September 22, 2020, 05:47:59 am »
21 September

“If you haven’t been feeling yourself lately, know that your spark will return. Soon you will shine!”

I hope that doesn’t involve any electricity...

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2087 on: September 23, 2020, 05:25:51 am »
22 September

Because you are worth it.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #2088 on: September 23, 2020, 08:00:06 am »
You are so dedicated little fish - well done and keep it up. Beautiful pics - thanks for still posting - we are out here reading your posts every day  :3some:

Stay positive - stay strong  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2089 on: September 24, 2020, 05:26:42 pm »
23 September

I had every intention of getting my update posted before going to work. Obviously that didn’t happen.

Work started off slow and next thing I knew it was 10pm.

The late nights, inconsistent dinners and inconsistent sleep have resulted in a lack of action: I just feel so drained. So without action, there is no motivation. And everything is a drag.

And my munchies levels have escalted to “cookie monster”. Like, serious choc chip cookie cravings. And I am generally not a massive biscuit/cookie fan. But, I know things will get better, I just need to keep working at it.

Which is why I at least tried a fast run.
It didn’t feel great but my pace was actually alright. With a bit more training I think I can keep up 5:30min/km for 5km if it’s a flat route.
Right now I do my fast run on a downhill/flat route.

The random window photo was my trying to get artsy. We use Flat Mountain coffee and I could just make out the Helderberg Mountain, so I wanted to try frame it with the FM logo.

And, 9 years since blasting about in the Citation Mustang! I can’t believe how long ago that was.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2090 on: September 24, 2020, 07:51:29 pm »
24 September

Got home after 10pm, had dinner then, and only got to sleep near midnight. So I slept in. The morning consisted of series and breakfast, and lots of procrastination.

I was going to do hill sprints today - the Sanlam Marathon is next month and I haven’t really been training. But I just didn’t feel like it. So I went for a walk instead. And did a lot of hill walks! Including carrying 4kg of charcoal for the last kilometer or so.

When you want to braai, you want to braai!

But otherwise, it was actually almost a proper rest day for me. Though my mindset is that a “rest day” is the same as writing the day off. I need to change that.

An early dinner of boerewors rolls followed by malva pudding with a twist. Boeries were lekker, malva was average. It’s the recipe from “Lean Girl” and uses oat flour. I didn’t drench it in enough liquid so it was a little dry, even with custard. I will try the left ivers with a custard and yoghurt mix tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, working a double shift, and working Saturday, so it’s going to be a long couple of days!

Smile and wave.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2091 on: September 25, 2020, 05:49:21 pm »
25 September

Another good thing about getting my walk done first thing was that I beat the rain. Hello, Summer, where are you?

At least now it looks like it is clearing for the evening.

Almost 9hrs into my shift, with another 3-6 to go. Yeeha!

At least I get to enjoy live music. Working on these music evenings has made me realise how much I have missed by not going to these sort of evenings and events.

Also, I thought the Sanlam Marathon was towards the end of October. Turns out it is on the 18th. Training? Yeah... Maybe I will do another 10km run and otherwise just stick with the short runs and walks.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2092 on: September 26, 2020, 04:24:34 am »
Welldone Sardine, your thread is inspirational  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2093 on: September 27, 2020, 07:38:02 pm »
26 September

The nice thing about walking and running is that all you need is a shirt, a pair of pants, shoes and socks. And all of those are optional, really, depending on where you are.

Who cares what you might look like, as long as you are doing what makes you feel good.

Came across a church with a pretty wall. Sad that it is surrounded by barbed wire.

And that’s the face of a dog 30 minutes before his supper time. Amazing how dogs learn when it’s food time. These ones get antsy from about 45 minutes before dinner. Every day. Without fail.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2094 on: September 27, 2020, 07:48:39 pm »
27 September

Sleeping patterns have been bad, which has a knock-on effect. Sleep really is important. Who woulda thunk.

Eventually got my backside outside for my walk. Cool wind, but everything is looking lovely after all of the rain.

Saw a proudly American Harley Davidson.
The run portion of my walk was good. I need to do a few 5km runs at marathon-pace to teach my body where to settle. Right now I’m running way too fast.

And I almost dropped the cake on the floor 🤦🏼‍♀️
Doh! It is my thanks to the mechanics who keep helping me with my skadonk of a car.

It’s a kind of magic...

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2095 on: September 28, 2020, 07:34:22 pm »
28 September

I decided to do a walk/run later in the day. And what a beautiful day it was. Excuse the dirty windy, but look at that sunrise! A cool but clear day, the sea all sorts of shades of blue and green.

Saw friends, ran errands, baked. A lot. Procrasti-baking! I could see the sky getting darker though, and I knew there was rain forecast. But there were a lot of apples that had to be used, so, you know, it was pretty important.

And just when I decided it was time to run, the heavens opened up.
Well, running in the rain might make me seem a bit crazy, but staying in a house with a lot of people and dogs would drive me crazy. So off I went.

It was really enjoyable, squelchy shoes and all.

Cake turned out nicely. The cookies are chilling in the fridge. We’ll see how they turn out tomorrow.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #2096 on: September 29, 2020, 12:46:15 am »
You procrasti-bake. I stress-bake.

I don't know what the question is, but baking is the solution.

::)

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2097 on: September 29, 2020, 05:46:44 am »
You procrasti-bake. I stress-bake.

I don't know what the question is, but baking is the solution.

::)

:lol8:
And coffee. Definitely coffee.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2098 on: September 29, 2020, 05:50:17 am »
Running For Hope

Cape of Good Hope SPCA fundraising and awareness request.

Last year, I stood in a queue for hours to collect my Sanlam Marathon Race Pack. My first ever marathon.
Hungry, tired, and my feet already hurting, I didn't spend that much time in the expo hall.

But the ladies at the TEAM SPCA stand looked friendly and inviting, so I went to say hello. They also had TEAM SPCA arm-warmers for sale. Now, when I did the Cape Argus in 2014, my arms froze as we spent a good 1-2hrs standing around waiting before the race. I didn't want that to happen during my marathon.
So I bought a pair, and found out more about the team.

After I completed the marathon I declared "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt." I didn't see myself doing another one.

Well, the VIRTUAL Sanlam Cape Town Marathon is on 18 October, and I have joined TEAM SPCA this time. Those of you who know me know I like animals more than I like most people. And if you greet my dog before you greet me, I won't be offended.

The folks of the SPCA have a tough job to do, not helped by a lack of funds to buy the essentials, and a lack of awareness and education amongst the various communities. So in an effort to help do my bit, I will run in their fantastic arm warmers to help raise awareness, and I am also helping to raise funds.
If this is a cause you believe in and would like to support, please make a donation.

It doesn't matter how great or small - every bit counts!
If you are unable to make a donation, please just spread the word.

Thank you.

You can donate on Given Gain: https://www.givengain.com/ap/heather-arnold-raising-funds-for-cape-of-good-hope-spca/

If you would prefer to make a direct deposit, please get in touch

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2099 on: September 30, 2020, 02:37:14 am »
Come on guys, help the puppies and the kittens out!

Both Mrs Zog and I have each made a small donation, you can too  :deal:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine