Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 231676 times)

Asalift 12 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #880 on: September 08, 2018, 09:11:50 am »
I was meant to fly the Seneca on Tuesday but the weather had moved in. So we had lunch at the Stellenbosch Flying Club instead.

They have the best chicken burgers, and have updated their menu with a few new items, like a pulled pork roll.
I asked for no bun with my chicken burger, and a bit of extra salad instead. I got a lot more than I bargained for and it was delicious!

---

Walking the streets at night, this building caught my eye.

Offline GRIM

« Reply #881 on: September 09, 2018, 12:13:37 pm »

I set my alarm clock for 05:45, but we only got up around 06:30. The sky was just starting to get light so we layered up and set out for the most southern tip of Africa (I keep wanting to say Cape Point...)

Just for interests sake, the southern tip of Africa isn't in Agulhas, it is somewhere in my garden in Johannesburg.
As a young geology student on a spearfishing trip I took my rock hammer out in a spring low tide and found the southernmost rock and knocked the end off off as a grab sample, thus making my mark on geography for millennia to come...

::) :biggrin:

Alcohol is essentially natures Leatt Brace with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #882 on: September 09, 2018, 12:22:24 pm »
Only you Grimm, now I understand why we are mates.  :sip:
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #883 on: September 10, 2018, 09:30:44 pm »
Well, today was a beautiful day, and I got to fly!

1. Pretty greens and yellows. I day dreamt of the year I did the Canola Run (2014 if memory serves me correctly)
2. On a wide left downwind for runway 29, with snow!
3. Watching the beastie from Wimpy
4. Our routing out of George had us going East before a right turn over the bay. We were nearly at our cruise altitude (of 20 000ft) by the time we passed abeam Mossel Bay

The following users thanked this post: Smidty, westfrogger

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #884 on: September 14, 2018, 09:31:01 pm »
It had been a busy week.
Rostered on day shift every day from Monday to Friday. And I flew every day. Last time I flew 5 days in a row was probably December!
So I am knackered.
Today was a long one with a call to Vredendal from George, my second time doing that routing.
It was a lekker flight and a good 3.5hrs flying, so Im happy.

Time to sleep and hopefully tomorrow I get to pole the Seneca!

Online Ri

« Reply #885 on: September 14, 2018, 10:51:23 pm »
You juggle planes like I juggle DR650s :lol8:

Keep racking up the flight hours. Bigger wings await O0

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #886 on: September 22, 2018, 07:31:17 am »
Hehehe, its funny to think that in Botswana, on some days I flew 3 different types of aircraft in one day, jumping from one to the other.

I have finished up the training towards the multi, now I am waiting for the DE (Designated Examiner) to let me know when he can do my test.

We are in Somerset West this weekend. The plan was to hike and cycle, but Murphy has intercede and the bf has come down with a cold. Maybe it will be good to just rest, a lot has been going on this month.

Wow, what a great day in the Cape today :)

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #887 on: September 22, 2018, 07:45:49 am »
1. Big red plane and little red plane. Falcon 7x in George
2. Stellenbosch showing off
3. Piper Seneca II, sneaker

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #888 on: September 22, 2018, 10:35:52 am »
Was a bit behind with all your ventures but glad I caught up now.

Good to see you are having fun and yes...like everyone else I'm very jealous.
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline EssBee

« Reply #889 on: October 02, 2018, 12:21:09 pm »
Just LOVE that pic of Mossel Bay! My late daddie's home-town...

The following users thanked this post: Sardine, Dupie2

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #890 on: October 06, 2018, 08:18:03 am »
So as September drew to a close, my tally was 10 missions and just shy of 30 hours.
 Fortunately the multi-engine training brought the hours up (while it drained my bank account rapidly).

My goal was to test at the end of September but bad weather, lack of aircraft and examiner meant it was not to be.
So, I am booked to test on Monday. Please hold thumbs the stars align and I can get it done!

October started with a bang with a family medical emergency. I'm really tired of sitting at Vergelegen Medi-Clinic. And I was hit by a nasty cold a couple of days ago. But things are on the up.

I have a lot of night shifts this month which is nice because it gives me time to do other stuff during the day, but it also sucks because I don't fly often. So I jump at opportunities to swap shifts and yesterday I swapped my night shift for a day shift. I was off on Thursday and had just polished a rather large hot toddy in the hopes the brandy would kill everything when the office called. "What is the weather doing tonight?"
Huh? I'm not on duty tonight! My heart sank to the South Pole. Had I misread my roster?!

The operations co-coordinator laughed and said he wanted to give me a heads up for Friday- a pending flight to Springbok.

An hour later the mission was confirmed and we were planning for a 08:00 take-off. I was feeling rubbish that night, but I'd get to fly somewhere new!

On Friday we were wheels up and set off into what promised to be a beautiful day. It didn't disappoint. The flight to Springbok is a little over an hour but felt much longer. Last time I was there was by road in 2015 when I rode my motorbike to Botswana. What a barren, dry, foreboding area. But absolutely beautiful.

The runway is in a valley and they were holding the RC Speed Trials. All RC planes were grounded as we approached. I sat right seat (not flying) and enjoyed the scenery.
Sjoe, even at 09:30 Springbok was hot! The medical team, awesome people, dropped us at the Super Spar to wait where we had a very lekker brunch (mince pancakes, yum!). By lunch time it was 35 degrees!

We loaded up and it was my leg home. This would be my first taste of hot and high ops in the PC-12 (Springbok is just shy of 3000ft above sea level. 35 deg C and 3000ft is ops normal for Botswana, but the Caravan runs a lot cooler than the PC-12).
The 1.5km of runway was more than enough, but the PC-12 was a bit of a road runner in the heat. We got airborne and climbed away at about 1200 feet per minute. I opted to climb straight ahead until we were 3000ft above the mountain tops before setting course for Cape Town - valleys like that can slam you with ferocious downdrafts that not even 1200hp can out-climb!

We got back to Cape Town after 1pm and I prepared myself mentally for the paperwork I needed to catch up on. And then, we got a call for Vredendal.
So off we went.
It was also about 35 degrees on the ground there, and I managed to do some paperwork whilst trying not to sweat on the official documentation.

My sinuses were killing me, but what a day to fly!

The following users thanked this post: westfrogger

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #891 on: October 09, 2018, 11:09:13 am »
So there I was, all dressed up in my polished black shoes, my black pants lint-free and held up by my shiny black leather belt. My crisp white shirt proudly displaying my black and gold bars, and my wings pinned above my left breast pocket. I was nervous but ready to take on my multi-engine test.

And as I stepped out of the bathroom at the flying club club house, a gentleman walked up to me and said Id like to order food. Can I order with you?
I must have looked a little gobsmacked, because after a pause he said;
Do you work here?
Why no sir, I do not. But the gentleman behind the bar over there *points to the guy 3m from where were standing* does, so you can order with him.

:dousing:

Multi-engine test done. Now I wait for the paperwork! :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: westfrogger

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race Dog
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #892 on: October 09, 2018, 12:03:48 pm »
And as I stepped out of the bathroom at the flying club club house, a gentleman walked up to me and said Id like to order food. Can I order with you?

:spitcoffee:    :laughing4:    :imaposer:   :imaposer:   :imaposer:

Many congrats on the multi-engine test!   :thumleft:   :ricky:
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #893 on: October 09, 2018, 02:16:02 pm »

:spitcoffee:    :laughing4:    :imaposer:   :imaposer:   :imaposer:

Many congrats on the multi-engine test!   :thumleft:   :ricky:
At least now you know if flying does not work out for you waitressing might!! :lol8:
Hope the test went well. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #894 on: October 09, 2018, 03:59:00 pm »
mmmmm.... maybe your smart pilot's garb needs a rethink... :o
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #895 on: October 09, 2018, 04:17:13 pm »
So there I was, all dressed up in my polished black shoes, my black pants lint-free and held up by my shiny black leather belt. My crisp white shirt proudly displaying my black and gold bars, and my wings pinned above my left breast pocket. I was nervous but ready to take on my multi-engine test.

I must have looked a little gobsmacked, because after a pause he said;
Do you work here?
Why no sir, I do not. But the gentleman behind the bar over there *points to the guy 3m from where were standing* does, so you can order with him.

:dousing:
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: oops but this did make me laugh - well written
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #896 on: October 10, 2018, 02:58:58 am »
Many, many years ago, a good friend came home on pass from the Navy.

He had done advanced diving courses, and several other "GV" stuff.

He arrived home looking so super spiffy in his white Step-Outs.

Walked inside his parents house, and the maid asks him if he is now a chef  :eek7:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #897 on: October 10, 2018, 07:33:49 am »

So as September drew to a close, my tally was 10 missions and just shy of 30 hours.

Fortunately the multi-engine training brought the hours up (while it drained my bank account rapidly).

Ha ha funny story.

Regarding the above quote....and please excuse my ignorance but you are a pilot so you are getting paid to fly. Why should it cost you money?

Apologies if you explained this before or if it is common knowledge...then again ek is nie baie slim nie maar ek kan swaar goed optel. :pot:

Dankie.
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #898 on: October 10, 2018, 08:23:12 am »

Ha ha funny story.

Regarding the above quote....and please excuse my ignorance but you are a pilot so you are getting paid to fly. Why should it cost you money?

Apologies if you explained this before or if it is common knowledge...then again ek is nie baie slim nie maar ek kan swaar goed optel. :pot:

Dankie.
Multi engine training, on her own account and time, needed to get to be able to fly buses.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #899 on: October 10, 2018, 10:01:43 am »
Dankie Kokkie nou verstaan ek ook!  :thumleft:

Kaapse Jelly Tot!