Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 59380 times)

Offline ican

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • It is never too late to have a happy childhood!
    • View Profile
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2017, 08:07:47 pm »
A bit of history... I believe this is the cubby that you learned on. You're mentioned in the post. 😀

http://avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=189373

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... Isn't that crazy?

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • View Profile
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #601 on: August 04, 2017, 08:29:54 am »
Thank you for the thoughts, all.

And yip, Ican, that was my baby. I miss it so much! It would be perfect for bumbling around here on my days off... yes, when I'm off I want to go to my place of work and fly more  :ricky:

The past week and a bit has been tough emotionally and physically.
My friend and colleague is on the mend. It's going to be a long road to recovery, but we are all confident he has the willpower and drive to make it through. Bits and pieces of conflicting information keep coming in, which makes it difficult too. But the important thing is that he is alive and in good hands. On arrival in SA, the doctors said he would be paralyzed from the shoulders down. Since the 26th he has regained some movement in his right leg and wrist, and he can move some toes on his left foot.

And on the 2nd, after a long day at work, my sister called to say my Grandfather had passed away that morning. He was 92.
We were never very close, in fact, I have seen him more often since moving to Botswana than when I lived in SA, which is sad. But mostly I'm upset because I'm so far from home.
So I'm feeling a little lost and helpless at the moment.

---

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • View Profile
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #602 on: August 04, 2017, 08:51:40 am »
Work-wise. Yesterday was long.
It was to be a day of freight runs, which I was excited about despite the 07:30 take-off (which means I must be in the office by 06:00).
But, freight doesn't throw up, it doesn't ask stupid questions, and it doesn't require a safety briefing. It was a case of load, go, land, offload, fly back to Maun, fuel, load more freight, go etc. And I would get a good 4hrs of Caravan time, which I was stoked about!

I was in the office by 05:40, and walking to the plane at 06:00. It was dark. And I mean dark! I thought it was a moonless night but as it got lighter I realised it was just overcast; very strange for this time of year. But the air was still, it was warm, and as I untied my plane the animals started to wake up with birds chirping in the distance. For a while, it was just me and my plane.

The sunrise was 'gentle'. Normally it is a bright orange orb on the horizon, but with the clouds the sky lightened gradually and a light breeze picked up.

I recently bought myself an early Christmas/Birthday present in the form of a new headset. It was an aux jack so you can listen to music, and automatically mutes the music when there are radio transmissions. Seeing as freight doesn't care what the pilot does, I used this opportunity to try it out. It was nice, climbing up to FL075 (flight level, so 7500ft above sea level, about 4400ft above ground), music in the background, smooooooth air.

As the sun rose higher the horizon in the distance turned orange, and shafts of light cut through the clouds. I decided it was my Grandfather saying hello.
It was beautiful.

On the way back from the second freight run the office was in a panic trying to get hold of me. I was flying back from Savute, about 45minutes away, and climbed high to try get in range of the office so I could find out what was wrong. The communications were still pretty dodge as I was still 70nm away, and all I got was "Set max cruise back to Maun."
I whipped out the POH (pilots operating handbook), and flicked to the performance section which has loads of graphs and tables. Based on my altitude, and the temperature, I could whack on an extra 250lbs of torque, which took my speed from 140kts to 160kts. Yeeha! Kodiak speeds! (It only shaved off 3 minutes though).

Once I was closer and had clear communications I got the full message; one of our aircraft had a technical problem and had to return to Maun. So I had to jump aircraft (to a Garmin 1000-equipped Caravan as the standby Caravan pilot was cleared on those systems yet), and the standby guy took over my flying.

It was a case of parking next to the aircraft I was switching to, shutting down, grabbing all my stuff, and running across to the other aircraft and getting myself settled. 10 minutes later we were started up.
I had to fly to Piajio to collect clients and take them to Kasane, then go from Kasane to Pompom and back to Maun.
Max cruise all the way as these clients were now 1.5hrs late, which cuts into their safari time.

Well, everyone got to where they had to be at the end of the day. I got back to Maun at 16:30. I'd been on the go since 05:30. I was tired!
But as I did the paperwork I realised I had clocked over 6hrs of flying. I don't think I've EVER had a 6hr Caravan day. Happy fish :)

I somehow managed to drag myself and still go for a walk to clear my head and relax a little.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • View Profile
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #603 on: August 04, 2017, 08:53:20 am »
Stupid thing is bugging out so I'm going to post photos one at a time...

Pre-flighting in the dark. I still think the older Caravans with steam gauges are the sexiest.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • View Profile
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #604 on: August 04, 2017, 08:57:52 am »
1.) About 900kg of fresh fruit and veg, ready to be flown into camp.
2.) Lined up runway 08 at Maun International

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • View Profile
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #605 on: August 04, 2017, 08:59:21 am »
1.) Orange glow
2.) Rays of light had me thinking about my Grandfather, and my family back home

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • View Profile
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #606 on: August 04, 2017, 09:00:55 am »
Getting ready to start up at Savute and fly back to Maun. I didn't manage to get photos of all the boxes of freight (about 890kg) because the guys were too efficient with loading and offloading it!

I love this plane!  :3some:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • View Profile
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #607 on: August 04, 2017, 09:13:57 am »
Photos from the 25th, when I overslept and had that 07:00 take off...

1.) My view from the 'western' (apron. We call it the Western because it's on the western side of the airport)
2.) This is living

3.) A few days later, another early start. Moisture higher up makes for cool contrails

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 04, 2017, 10:18:19 am »
What an inspiration you are!

Level headed, loyal, and diligent. What more could the company ask for...
For yourself... trials and pain builds character, which is what you need to overcome trials and pain... :deal:

You will overcome every obstacle - you are that kind of girl.

Proud of you, Tinned Fish.

(When my youngest was a toddler, our games in the pool had me call her "Fish"... She's 27 now, and I still call her that.)
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline husky

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 04, 2017, 11:36:57 am »
Thanks for the photographs and notes - unusual and most interesting.

Sympathies about your colleague and a real shock for Maun I guess.

Offline jacbot

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 05, 2017, 08:14:28 am »
Makes me wish I could have my Caravan days back, still the aircraft I liked and enjoyed the most, but alas, life goes on. Thank you for the great pics and your relaxing writing style Sardine. Your character shows that you will only be an asset for any employer.
1979 Honda CG125 (Sold)
1983 Honda XL600RE (Sold, what was I thinking)
2008 Aprilia Pegaso Trail (SWAMBO's Ride)
2009 Kawasaki KLR650
1981 Yamaha XT 500 (Resto Project)

Offline 0012

• Secret Agent Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 11, 2017, 03:43:37 pm »
I love this plane!  :3some:

Here is one on a new strip we made just on the border between Zim and Moz   :biggrin:

->    Transalp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 12, 2017, 06:33:30 pm »
Hi Sardine

Sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing, condolences.

I am glad to hear that your colleague is on the mend after the brutal assault. Very sad to read about the paralysis but glad that he is regaining movement in some extremities. Sounds like a long route to recovery for him ahead but with you all supporting it should be easier on him.

You are at a good place, living your dream flying and doing a good job! Please keep on posting pics!  :thumleft: