Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 171909 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #1420 on: January 23, 2020, 05:39:30 pm »
Thank you folks.

see a plane went down near mossel bay , took off from George this morning..hoping you okay and not any of your buds involved...must be a small community of pilots :'(

Knucklehead, fortunately no one I know.
It was however the aircraft and crew used by the Civil Aviation Authority to calibrate the ILS (instrument landing system).
Which could be ironic. But I don’t know facts so I will keep my trap shut until I know more.

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #1421 on: January 23, 2020, 05:40:48 pm »
Tragic!
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1422 on: January 31, 2020, 08:49:13 pm »
So I had an impulsive moment and entered the PE Bay Ultra Half Marathon.

I haven’t done much running this month, and nothing more than 9km since the marathon in September. So tomorrow ahould be interesting  :ricky:

I went on what was meant to be an easy warm-up on the mountain bike this morning. We checked out a new area - The Albany Trails - outside of Port Alfred.
We did the 12km route. Sjoe, it was tough.
The first kilometer of single track was deceptive. After that it was river crossing after river crossing. Dry riverbeds but very rocky and technical, so we had to keep getting off the bikes and walking.  Then the technical climbs and descents started. Every time we started to get into the flow, we had to stop and walk a section. It felt like I hiked 10km and cycled 2km.

And it was hot. We started early but the temperatures soared quickly.
I would like to go hike the trails, but I won’t be taking my bike with next time.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1423 on: February 01, 2020, 05:55:28 am »
It was tough getting up this morning.

But once Ingot going and stepped outside, I started to feel excited. Comfortably cool, the sky pink with the rising sun. It is going to be a good day.

I passed  the Ultra runners on my drive to the start at Pollock Beach.
And now I am watching the run rise while sipping some coffee. And hoping there is a toilet nearby. My eyeballs are swimming.

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #1424 on: February 01, 2020, 10:58:53 am »
Inspiration
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1425 on: February 02, 2020, 08:22:17 am »
I wrote this yesterday, then Eskom intervened. I haven't changed the tenses, so just pretend you read it yesterday (Saturday)  :lol8:

2 February
PE Bay Ultra Marathon

Everyone prepares for races a different way.

I tend to over-pack, and try do way too many things at once. But eventually I calm down, and get my lists and to-do lists sorted out. Then I tend to procrastinate against sleeping. But, thanks to Eskom, it was lights out at about 21:00, and I was forced to sleep.

Last night I set out all my kit, and made sure that I had everything. This morning all I had to do was pack my bags in the car and go.

My last longer run was the Kasouga trail run in December. It was the 8km that turned into a 9km.
My pre-race nutrition was poor, and I was determined to learn from my mistakes (a tortilla quesadilla filled with ham, cheese and tomato does not work with me. The cheese is too oily and too fatty).

So last night was left over chicken and rice, with a "taco salad" from Spar (salad with sweet corn and black beans).

This morning was oats, a boiled egg, and coffee.

I slept well, despite being woken up to blaring lights at 2am, and again at 3am thinking I had overslept. Little did I know how close I came to really oversleeping – I had forgotten to switch off my phone’s torch, so when my alarm went off at 04:40, I only had 7% battery remaining. Phew. Close.

I arrived at Pollock Beach with about 40min to spare.
I faffed around with my race number and vest. This would be my first time using a running vest- a kind stranger gave me his old Salomon running vest. It's quite tired but still works.
I don't have soft flasks, but 500ml plastic water bottles work well! I had two bottles but decided to take only one, with about 3/4 water and some Rehidrat. There are 6 water points on the route, so I would be covered with hydration.

As more people arrived, the energy surrounding the start began to rise, and I felt at peace. It wasn't nearly as long a wait as the Sanlam Marathon, which was a relief.

And, at 06:30, we were off.
The leaders took off while the rest of us walked, jostling each other until we got on to the road and could spread out. I found a nice group and kept pace with them. The first few km were faster than I would normally do, but I felt good and kept at it.

Now, if you ever have issues with your digestive system working... enter a half marathon.  :peepwall:
I am not going to go into too many details, but I have learnt that next time I must pack tissues or wet wipes or something.

The water points were spaced out well, and provided water for the first half, and coke and water for the second half.

Every now and then I thought of walking to conserve energy- I wanted a good final push at the end. But, I felt good. I settled into a comfortable pace. My knee wasn't hurting, I wasn't breathing too hard, the headwind wasn't too bad. So I carried on. Eyeing out suitable bushes as I went. I let my thoughts flow free, and tried to keep track of the people I was playing "leap frog" with, in between wishing my stomach to settle.

People came and went, then walked, and I'd pass them. Bushes came and went. And I decided to get to the half way mark, which was the turnaround point (it was an out-and-back route). Surely there will be a toilet there!

And, there was! Oh sweet blue port-a-loo! I think I even laughed out loud with relief.
But, it turned to a laugh of anguish - locked shut. Noooo!

I ran the first 10km non-stop. I am quite chuffed about that.

I allowed myself a break and walked for a bit. It helped my stomach, but I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to find a bush. There was no way I would manage another 10km of this...

I made a plan, trotted off to a suitable spot. And carried on, feeling a lot better.

People who had shot off at the start were within sight, and I gradually gained on them. A lot more had adopted the walk-run "rawlk" method by now. I would over-take, and a few minutes later they would shoot past. Only to slow to a slow walk again. I made sure to not over-do it when I started running after each walk, and, after some food (Nature's Valley Oat and Chocolate bar, yum!) settled back into a steady run.

My goal was to finish in less than 2h30min.

If I maintained 7min/km, I would do it. 1.5 Park Run's to go.
1 Park Run to go.
3km.
My feet were a little sore, but the rest of my body felt good. It was becoming a mental game.
I distracted myself by counting, and trying to be friendly and motivational when I passed other runners, and by setting my eyes on runners I wanted to pass.
I didn't think The Wall was approaching, but I had half of my GU gel; I didn't want to falter in the last 500m.
2km.
14 minutes.
14 minutes is nothing. I can do this.
It's all in my head.
I had about 16 minutes until 2h30min.

1km
7 minutes. Yes. Keep the pace. Keep going. You are within reach of your goal.
Surfers were in the sea, the swell most inviting as the sun glistened off the water. Oh the sea.
People were cheering.

100m
Yes, I got this.
I saw the finish line and picked up the pace, sprinting the last 50m, and crossed the line in 2h28min23sec.

Yes!  :ricky: 8)
My new PB for a half-marathon event.

I couldn't feel my face, and I am pretty sure I could taste sounds. But after standing in the sea for a bit, and then sitting down and munching some fruit, I felt better.

Overall, I am glad I entered. I didn't do any distance training. In fact, I have come right back on my running, focusing on cycling and hiking instead. So I am really happy with how I did.
Normally I don't like out-and-back routes, but I had only ever done them as solo training runs. I quite enjoyed this one. And we couldn't have asked for better weather!

I just wish that they had had one or two porta-loo's along the route, and maybe some banana's at the water tables. I almost didn't pack snacks as every event I have done has had food.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #1426 on: February 02, 2020, 09:06:29 am »
Feel you on the stomach troubles - having the runs while running must be the worst! Maybe avoid black beans next time? :pot:

Well done on reaching your goal! And thanks for keeping up with the writing, it makes for enjoyable reading.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1427 on: February 02, 2020, 09:40:08 am »
My brother in law has done countless Ironman events. He has also had 1 or 2 moments where a bush had to be found while doing the run part. Pre race nutrition is very important to help prevent this.
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #1428 on: February 02, 2020, 10:45:40 am »
well done Sardine, good discipline.
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1429 on: February 02, 2020, 10:57:36 am »
Good read Sardine, you got a way with words!! :thumleft:

Welldone on a respectable time and I'm sure you may agree that nothing beats a half marathon. It's something special and I cand yet find words to justify how rewarding that 21km's is!!

I see at every long run - 21 to 42 many people including me having a funny tummy before the race. I have also done a lot of test combinations to try and see what works for me and an early rise is the one that sorts this for me. I'll wake up at 3 if I need to ride at 4 to the race which gives my tummy enough ti.e to wake up and do its thing (sometimes twice) I spoke to an old friend that running since forever and he says it frustrates him because when he practice at home and do a 21 nothing weird happens but the minute he commutes and dress for success the tummy goes weird  :lol8:

Now here is something that may not work for you but works for many athletes including myself. We dont take any solid foods before the race, as in nada. Only take some turbovite or USN liquid energy and have it right before the start and one in midrace. I only take one sache of water at every water point and that proof to be ample. After the race I always have a beer, and some time later on the way home a breakfast- mostly at home and that is around 9am.
However, we all are different and not many people can stand running on an empty tummy and I see many having some energy/oats bars. Trial and error but I will recommend you always run with a buscopan tablet so if your tummy really cramps it may help to pull you through. You can google, many runners suffer of tummy cramps after a race.

Anyway once again, well done!!  :thumleft:

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #1430 on: February 02, 2020, 05:17:55 pm »
Well done  :thumleft:
Once you've  dropped a log
then you feel much better
Rallye

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1431 on: February 02, 2020, 10:10:16 pm »
 :lol8:

Thank you for the responses, folks.

Runs on the run. Trots on the trot. Ah, toilet humour.

Good point on the black beans, Ri. But I think it was actually my chicken and rice dinner- I used lentils too. It’s a really nice, one pot, recipe. I will do some experimenting.
The strong coffee’s the night before, and one the morning probably also didn’t help. I normally make my own and make it a weak one, but the place I stayed at only had Ricoffee. The barista at Seattle must have thought I really needed the caffeine!

Wayne, good job to your brother in law! I often watch YouTube documentaries on trail running and mountain biking and invariably wind up on an Ironman one. Incredible. Yesterday I passed a guy with an IM 2015 tattoo on his leg. If I was into swimming I would consider a triathlon, but I don’t like cold water (and anything less than 28 is cold to me!)

Tom, I never really thought of liquid calories. I think next time I will wake up 30min earlier and eat then. I am normally up 2 hours before events start, depending on where they are, so you would think that would allow plenty of time.
I do know that these “healthy” date bars and stuff don’t work for me.
I will also experiment with the whole “two bananas provide enough energy for. 1.5hr intense workout” or whatever it is.

Buscopan will be going in my race kit!

BMWPE, ja nee  :ricky:

Runners are gross  :lol8:

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1432 on: February 04, 2020, 10:59:22 am »
Best of all my brother in law lives in Switzerland. So he gets too take part all over the show. He says the best one is Hawaii followed by Mexico.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1433 on: February 05, 2020, 10:30:01 pm »
The view of Grahamstown, whilst exploring the botanical gardens. Which are beautiful and have many tracks and paths to explore!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1434 on: February 05, 2020, 11:14:37 pm »
Don't you work anymore?!! :eek7: ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1435 on: February 06, 2020, 07:25:34 am »
Wow, the quality of that photo is kind of rubbish... oh well, gives you an idea.

Chris, yeah well... it is quiet this month.
I do do quite a lot of admin when not flying, so it isn't ALL fun and games  :peepwall:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1436 on: February 06, 2020, 08:41:00 am »
Good read Sardine, you got a way with words!! :thumleft:

Welldone on a respectable time and I'm sure you may agree that nothing beats a half marathon. It's something special and I cand yet find words to justify how rewarding that 21km's is!!

I see at every long run - 21 to 42 many people including me having a funny tummy before the race. I have also done a lot of test combinations to try and see what works for me and an early rise is the one that sorts this for me. I'll wake up at 3 if I need to ride at 4 to the race which gives my tummy enough ti.e to wake up and do its thing (sometimes twice) I spoke to an old friend that running since forever and he says it frustrates him because when he practice at home and do a 21 nothing weird happens but the minute he commutes and dress for success the tummy goes weird  :lol8:

Now here is something that may not work for you but works for many athletes including myself. We dont take any solid foods before the race, as in nada. Only take some turbovite or USN liquid energy and have it right before the start and one in midrace. I only take one sache of water at every water point and that proof to be ample. After the race I always have a beer, and some time later on the way home a breakfast- mostly at home and that is around 9am.
However, we all are different and not many people can stand running on an empty tummy and I see many having some energy/oats bars. Trial and error but I will recommend you always run with a buscopan tablet so if your tummy really cramps it may help to pull you through. You can google, many runners suffer of tummy cramps after a race.

Anyway once again, well done!!  :thumleft:

@Tom van Brits
Are you secretly a Tarahumara?
Some studies suggest their consumption of corn beer helps them run 100's of miles per week  :deal:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #1437 on: February 06, 2020, 08:48:59 am »

@Tom van Brits
Are you secretly a Tarahumara?
Some studies suggest their consumption of corn beer helps them run 100's of miles per week  :deal:

:peepwall: :peepwall: My secret is out  :imaposer:

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #1438 on: February 06, 2020, 09:05:11 am »
Buscopan will be going in my race kit
Immodium  :thumleft: , whatever you pull in as nutrition, if it is solids make sure if it is hard to digest - 2hrs before, easily digestible - 1 hr before. Remember that digesting food takes a lot of energy and takes blood away from the rest of your body and to your abdominal organs.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1439 on: February 06, 2020, 02:18:52 pm »
Buscopan will be going in my race kit
Immodium  :thumleft: , whatever you pull in as nutrition, if it is solids make sure if it is hard to digest - 2hrs before, easily digestible - 1 hr before. Remember that digesting food takes a lot of energy and takes blood away from the rest of your body and to your abdominal organs.

Immodium will also go in. I carry it in my flight bag but never thought to include it in my outdoor adventures kit.
So I normally have some oats with a bit of honey or peanut butter about 1-1.5hrs before.

I will try a banana before a parkrun and see how that goes.