Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My African Dream  (Read 218731 times)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: My African Dream
« Reply #2100 on: October 01, 2020, 01:47:06 pm »
29 September

Things have been quite hectic lately.
I normally do these updates in the evenings before bed, but now I switch off from 8pm, otherwise I find I stay up way too late and wind up miserable the next morning.

So thatís why these updates have become a little irregular.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2101 on: October 01, 2020, 01:54:57 pm »
30 September

Top right is a massive bin full of old coffee grounds. I wonder how many kgís of coffee Lourensford goes through per month.

Top left, apple oat square things.
Below that, a carrot cake. It was around this time I realised that I had forgotten to grease the tin... tasted ok though.

Bottom middle, dropping off a clock at The Hanger Bike Co as thanks for their help with my DIY clock project.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2102 on: October 04, 2020, 08:12:39 pm »
1 October

Lots of cake.
Lots of nerves.
Lots of excitement.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2103 on: October 04, 2020, 08:16:34 pm »
2 October

The N1 is long, and straight, and mind-numbing. Fortunately traffic wasnít too bad.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2104 on: October 04, 2020, 08:17:15 pm »
3 October

Iím pretty sure I look like a rusk.
Curse their delicious crunchiness!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2105 on: October 06, 2020, 05:15:36 am »
5 October

My travel times were way off. I checked them over two days at 15min intervals, and they varied from 30-50 minutes. In reality, 70 minutes. Good thing I left early.
But at least it was highway driving for the kost part.

Coming back I asked Google for a different route and thought it was also highway... it wasnít. Backroads through the suburbs after the torrential downpour from the afternoon thunderstorms are not fun. And I think I got caught by at least 30 red traffic lights. No wonder Gautengers just skip red lights and stop streets.

But wow, what a thunderstorm. Window-rattling Stuff. Reminded me of Botswana.

Got my Sanlam Cape Town Marathon race pack. I better start plotting out a route to run! Where can one run 42.2km in JHB?
Rand/Germiston area. It can be a loop, preferably of at least 5km.

And I am running for the TEAM SPCA charity. Please donate towards the cause if you can.

If you donít want to registern on GivenGain and would prefer to EFT me the money and I pay it into the charity that is not a problem.

https://www.givengain.com/ap/heather-arnold-raising-funds-for-cape-of-good-hope-spca/

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2106 on: October 06, 2020, 12:19:05 pm »
That clock looks really cool! :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2107 on: October 08, 2020, 07:55:01 pm »
6 October

My running shoes are my someone.

Turns out I had set the GPS to avoid tolls, which is why it took me on all sorts of weird routes.
But now I have a more direct route on the N3. Yay!

I must have had one heck of a tailwind on my way from Bloem to JHB- I filled up in Bloem and the reserve light has only just come on at 660km. Normally it comes on at 550km.
Double yay!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2108 on: October 08, 2020, 08:29:25 pm »
7 October

Not much happened today. Beat the traffic. The studies beat me though.
But the Sanlam Marathon app is live! Time to figure it out. Almost jumped out of my skin when it started talking to me!

The secret to anything is in daily routine. Small, consistent habits 💪🏻

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2109 on: October 08, 2020, 08:30:17 pm »
8 October

I was in two minds about running this morning, but I needed to do a slow 5km and I wanted to try out the Marathon app.

Well, I started off by accidentally dropping my phone in the dogís water bowl. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I took that as I sign to leave my phone at home to dry out.

The run went quite well, a little cooler than yesterday. Loving that itís light by 05:30!

Driving on the highway, a nice big stone thwacked my windscreen, leaving a nice big chip. First the phone, now this. And it wasnít even 7am yet!

But, I managed to get over 100km more than usual on a tank of petrol, which is awesome! Must have had a hectic tailwind on the drive up from Bloem.

Got on top of the studies today, and feel a bit better.
Aaaand, jet noise, Jet smell and helicopters 😁😁😁
Heliport in Midrand is so cool!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2110 on: October 09, 2020, 07:42:17 pm »
9 October

Didnít send my phone for a swim today. And no rocks flying my way.

Surprised I could find the ON button on my calculator 😅 And that the battery is still good. Itís probably about 10yrs old.

Just a few sleeps until the Cape Town Marathon! Busy looking at route options. Checked out Gilloolyís this afternoon but the park/farm looks closed. Thanks Pearl for the suggestion!

There is a refreshment station in Benoni, so that might be an option- a 10-17km loop going past the refreshment station.
Otherwise, Vaal Dam? Decisions, decisions.

Stoked with my Team SPCA shirt. Want to help stop dog fighting? Please donate! You can use GivenGain or SnapScan (please send me a screenshot of your payment!)

https://www.givengain.com/ap/heather-arnold-raising-funds-for-cape-of-good-hope-spca/

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2111 on: October 14, 2020, 06:22:21 pm »
Not long until the Sanlam Marathon!

I will be taking part in the full marathon on 18 October. That's 42.2km!

Not only will I be doing this for the love of running, but also to try and raise awareness for the Cape of Good Hope SPCA who are working hard to save animals. Especially those involved in dog fighting.

Dog fighting and animal cruelty is on the rise. It is becoming a massive industry that not only plays with the lives of animals but affects the upbringing of the children in the communities where dog fighting is seen as commonplace.

How can you help?
You could volunteer at the SPCA, or make a donation.

I am one of their Fundraisers on GivenGain https://www.givengain.com/cc/stepuptostopdogfighting/projects/

If you can, please make a small donation.
It can be made through GivenGain, SnapScan or EFT.

If you use SnapScan, please send a screenshot to Natasha, 0745806022, and say your payment is for Heather Arnold's fundraising project (or send me the screenshot).

EFT details: https://capespca.co.za/events/sanlam-cape-town-virtual-marathon/
Again, please send proof of payment to Natasha or myself so they can link it to my project.

THANK YOU to those who have already donated!

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2112 on: October 17, 2020, 05:11:28 pm »
So, the updates stopped, but my One Mile A Day did not.

My day starts with a 04:40 wake up, and I am normally out the door on my walk or run by 05:00. Then I get ready and hit the road by 06:15.

My day is spent indoors mostly, and sometimes I get back by 16:00. Sometimes 19:00 or later.

Thereís often nothing to take photos of, and I am also normally so tired that I just eat, prepare for the next day and sleep.

Also, I now switch my phone off by 20:00. I have found this has improved my sleeping patterns a lot.
You donít want to see me when Iím tired. Or hangry!

So ja, the updates have not been a priority.

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2113 on: October 17, 2020, 05:12:31 pm »

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2114 on: October 17, 2020, 05:15:06 pm »
Iím a little bummed at the lack of support for the SPCA. I know times are tough, and I feel terrible asking people to donate.
But I havenít even seen my friends share info about the cause on my social media.
Donít people believe in what the SPCA does?
Have I gone about it in the wrong way?

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #2115 on: October 17, 2020, 07:58:42 pm »
Good luck tomorrow and have fun Sardine
A marathon does not sit in anyone's pants, and it is always special, no matter how many you have done  :thumleft:
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2116 on: October 18, 2020, 04:17:06 am »
Good luck tomorrow and have fun Sardine
A marathon does not sit in anyone's pants, and it is always special, no matter how many you have done  :thumleft:

Yes to that  :thumleft:

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #2117 on: October 18, 2020, 08:15:33 pm »
18 October

Also, for beautiful sunrises.
For friends on the other side of the world (lavender epsom salts = win!).
For moral support.
For the fact that I am fit and healthy and able to take part in these sort of events.

I didnít sleep well, but it was a beautiful day that promised to be hot. I would learn just how hot in a few hoursí time.

I met three other runners at The Square in Farrarmere, Benoni, but set off on my own, having mapped out a route earlier in the week.

I started strong and quickly found a rhythm. No aches, no pains, no stiffness. Unfortunately my nemises appeared early and stuck with me the entire 42.2km...
Runnerís stomach.

I wonít say more than that I am so grateful that my route happened to go by several public toilets.

I tried to keep my pace up, but I was slowly losing that battle. My goal was a sub-5h20.
With around 8km to go I had to accept that I wouldnít achieve it. It was tough.

But, I carried on.
Every run is different. This one was very different to what I have experienced on a long run. I was pushing myself to better last yearsí time, and found myself questioning why I had chosen to do 42.2km.
I normally go through various mental stages, but today was pretty consistent. I was over it by about 26km.

The temperature had soared. I was torn between eating for fuel, and not eating in the hopes my stomach would settle. Physically, the stiffness only started when I started to walk more, funnily enough. But, no hip or knee or back/shoulder pain like in the past, so I am very happy about that.

The last 5km took forever. It was incredibly hot. Running along Homestead Dam I took in the sights and smells of braai vleis, and I also stole a boerewors roll. And it took a lot not to dive into the ice cream truck passing by.

I changed my route, choosing roads based on how much shade they offered. Fortunately quite a few people had their sprinklers going and I walked through them to cool off.

Being a big, virtual marathon, I had to run with their app, and it showed 1km behind my watch.
While the cramping had mostly dissipated, I was becoming dehydrated and really over it. I could feel the heat rising off the tar. So to do an extra 1km to make it official was tough.

But, I did it.
To think I originally planned to do this solo apart from the Woolworths water station. Massive thanks to Martin who stepped up out of the blue, and seconded me. Not only did it mean I had cold water and snacks every 5km, but it was so good to take a minute to see a friendly face and talk to someone.

After a lot of water, and a delicious chocolate milk, good byes were said and I headed home. I unpacked the car and planted myself in the pool fully-clothed. Bliss.

Then it was into an epsom salt bath, where I think I nodded off for a while. Eventually managed to will myself to make some lunch, and then I had a good nap.

Tired, a little stiff, very sunburnt. I am going to sleep well.

Whoís ready for a 5am walk tomorrow?

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #2118 on: October 19, 2020, 12:23:25 am »
Well done, amazing achievement!

And I'm sure the SPCA is grateful for any amount.   :thumleft: Don't beat yourself up over how much you have or haven't raised. It's the intent.

We have a place down here in Sebastian called Halo Rescue, it's a no-kill shelter - everyone stays until they find a forever home. They have a sign on the street, and they always put on there what they need at the moment. They run 100% on donations. So I'll drive past on my way to somewhere and the sign says "Please, need paper towels" or "please, need blankets."

Whenever possible, I bring them some of what they need, even just a single roll of paper towels or three cans of food. They are always so grateful.

So you raised funds for a good cause - that's all that matters. You have a good heart.  :)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2119 on: October 19, 2020, 01:39:44 am »
Well done Heather, what you did today was more than most can do in a lifetime.

Be very proud of yourself.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits