Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW 1200GS or 1200GS Adv for a first bike  (Read 7756 times)

Offline Bernt

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • riding makes me smile
Re: BMW 1200GS or 1200GS Adv for a first bike
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2014, 08:04:59 am »
Due to my size and weight, 73kg and 1.82m the GS is my choice. I like to push it a bit on the dirt, not high speed but more challenging roads chasing the KTM's  :). If I were stronger I would enjoy the longer range even though the GS is more fuel efficient (slightly). The 2010 dohc is a proven machine and if you look carefully you will find an Adv with less than 10 000km for R110-R130K. With the Adv you don't need any extras bar a spare set of rims for the TKC's.
Suzuki AC 50. Suzuki TC 200. Honda XL 175. Honda XL 185. BMW Dakar(2001). BMW R1200GS(2004). BMW R1200GS(2006). BMW R1200GS (2010) KTM 1190R (2015) BMW R1200GS lc (2016)

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2014, 02:37:21 pm »
Go ride the gs1200 gsa 1200 and the 990 adventure.

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2014, 02:44:37 pm »
Here are obviously guys with far more experience than I have and I would like to hear your opinion. I am/was totally happy with my Gs. At some times I found it a bit heavy and big, but on tar it was the best bike for my needs. I easily took on thick think think stretches of sand with great confidence, but at the end of the day it was hard work. Now, is this kind of riding doable on a GSA?

I fitted Gsa pannier racks, so luggage wasn't a pain anymore. I also fitted the Adv screen, but that was a load of crap. I am 1,9 m tall, and it made the fact worse that the wind that came of the screen kept on buffeting in my face ( worse than the Gs screen) nevermind how I adjusted the screen or seat height, and on corrugation it rattled so much that I thought I might brake of any moment.

Id like to hear from the guys who owned both.
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2014, 05:09:16 pm »
GSA is just more stable because it is heavier. :deal:
Abrie "staaldraad" did the Groenrivier-Hondklipbaai on his GSA. Ja hy het sy tong raakgetrap van moegheid maar almal was maar flou
behalwe natuurlik daai Weskus outjie heel voor op sy 800. :P
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline nielvn

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2014, 05:35:48 pm »
Here are obviously guys with far more experience than I have and I would like to hear your opinion. I am/was totally happy with my Gs. At some times I found it a bit heavy and big, but on tar it was the best bike for my needs. I easily took on thick think think stretches of sand with great confidence, but at the end of the day it was hard work. Now, is this kind of riding doable on a GSA?

I fitted Gsa pannier racks, so luggage wasn't a pain anymore. I also fitted the Adv screen, but that was a load of crap. I am 1,9 m tall, and it made the fact worse that the wind that came of the screen kept on buffeting in my face ( worse than the Gs screen) nevermind how I adjusted the screen or seat height, and on corrugation it rattled so much that I thought I might brake of any moment.

I am not a very good dirt rider in fact the only reason i ride dirt is to get from point a to point b.

But you are 100% correct, I rode the normal gs for about two years before going to the gsa.

During my dp1 course my first impression was that that the gsa was more difficult to handle on technical slow ridding than the gs, this is marginal, but true. This was the first impression i had.

Why do i ride the gsa currently, one of the main reasons is the comfort and stability on longer rides.

That is why one should first ask what do want from the bike, what us more important?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »

I am not a very good dirt rider in fact the only reason i ride dirt is to get from point a to point b.

But you are 100% correct, I rode the normal gs for about two years before going to the gsa.

During my dp1 course my first impression was that that the gsa was more difficult to handle on technical slow ridding than the gs, this is marginal, but true. This was the first impression i had.

Why do i ride the gsa currently, one of the main reasons is the comfort and stability on longer rides.

That is why one should first ask what do want from the bike, what us more important?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumleft:
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2014, 12:16:56 am »

Lets not turn this into a KTM vs BMW argument okay?
The guy want's to know which is best between a GS or a GSA

If he asked us to recommend the best bike in the world the truth would be neither German or Austrian but Japanese.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:17:57 am by LuckyStriker »

Offline poenerhoes

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »

Lets not turn this into a KTM vs BMW argument okay?
The guy want's to know which is best between a GS or a GSA

If he asked us to recommend the best bike in the world the truth would be neither German or Austrian but Japanese.

Then I would have to say go for the GSA :deal:
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose....

Offline mirage

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 11:22:45 pm »
I have recently purchased GSA LC. 6ft tall, 82kg. Originally, idea was to tour on tar, hence I went for Adventure model which has larger screen and bigger tank. Eventually, I started doing off road as well and I am thinking of replacing It for standard GS. Just like racing, lighter means more performance. Stock GS has lower centre of gravity as well, it feels like a smaller bike although it's  the same frame. Also, for serious off road, sand and mud, you will never want to ride with full tank, so high up. The whole "Adventure" think is smart marketing politics. BMW is happy if you trash their bike and get it fixed (parts) or replaced (sales) often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline poenerhoes

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2014, 01:20:36 pm »
I have recently purchased GSA LC. 6ft tall, 82kg. Originally, idea was to tour on tar, hence I went for Adventure model which has larger screen and bigger tank. Eventually, I started doing off road as well and I am thinking of replacing It for standard GS. Just like racing, lighter means more performance. Stock GS has lower centre of gravity as well, it feels like a smaller bike although it's  the same frame. Also, for serious off road, sand and mud, you will never want to ride with full tank, so high up. The whole "Adventure" think is smart marketing politics. BMW is happy if you trash their bike and get it fixed (parts) or replaced (sales) often.

gooi a few picks of the bike on the small ads section, sure it would sell fast  :thumleft:
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose....

Offline mirage

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2014, 02:15:24 pm »
I have great relationship with a dealer, no need to sell privately. Besides, waiting to see new XF and RS for next year.

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bultfontein
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2014, 03:19:17 pm »

On most skills challenges Ive seen or heard of, the winner was always on a GSA and not a GS. Had a 990 and 800, with the 990 being heavier and a higher centre of gravity, but the handling of the KTM was alot better.

So weight and COG doesnt really come into play when offroad. But thats my experience. Ive seen guys doing some really wicked things on Adventures, and would go for the GSA.

I know parts are quite expensive, but these bikes really crash well.

Offline mirage

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2014, 03:33:16 pm »
Are you proposing that heavier and taller bikes handle better ?

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bultfontein
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2014, 04:04:09 pm »
Are you proposing that heavier and taller bikes handle better ?

Nope, just proposing that there might be more than weight to it. And COG. Sure it should make a difference, but the difference might be beyond my own skills and abilities.

For example, the 12kg between a 800 and 1200 is almost nothing, till you get on both. And although the COG of the 1200 is way lower than the 800, I could do a slow race a bit slower on the 800, but even slower on a 990, which is heavier and have a higher COG.

I personally would rather do technical routes on the GSA than the 1200, just for the better suspension (and travel). And Im 1.76 and 65kgs.
I currently own a 800Adventure, and the difference in terms of offroad handling to the normal 800 is negligible. But the extras and longer range makes sense for my needs.

Offline mirage

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2014, 04:13:27 pm »
Do you think slow race speed will make you win Dakar ?
I can blabber for hours about differences bit consider why enduro is ridden on 250,350 cc machines, just over 100kg in weight and not on 1200, well over 200kg. You can change direction faster, you dig in less in the sand or mud, your weight have much bigger influence on steering with the pegs etc etc. Other than improved clearance, GSA has nothing on GS off road. Absolutely nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bultfontein
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2014, 04:28:04 pm »
Do you think slow race speed will make you win Dakar ?
I can blabber for hours about differences bit consider why enduro is ridden on 250,350 cc machines, just over 100kg in weight and not on 1200, well over 200kg. You can change direction faster, you dig in less in the sand or mud, your weight have much bigger influence on steering with the pegs etc etc. Other than improved clearance, GSA has nothing on GS off road. Absolutely nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Mirage, you okay there? He is not going to race the Dakar. And he is not looking for the lightest bike.

I merely stated that everyone jumps onto the weight and COG wagon, but in the world of us noobs, neither makes that much a difference. We domt do enduros, Dakars or the Roof, so a bike 10-15kg heavier will not keep us from doing what we do with our bikes - enjoying nature and making memories.

I totally understand the science behind weight and COG (however when doing technical routes I usually stand up, resulting in a higher COG), but for me personally at this level, it doesnt make a significant difference. Refer to my points above.

The slow race for me is just a fast indication of how controlable a bike would be under technical routes. Because the slower Im able to go, the better is my handling of an obstacle.

Offline mirage

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2014, 04:35:57 pm »
I'm fine mate, absolutely.
You solve a lot of problems in riding off road by giving it some gas, opening up the throttle, letting gyro effect sort you out, not by closing down and crawling at snail pace.
Heck, I ride LC GSA, why would I trash my own bike, I'm just stating the obvious. And first things first, weight is the most obvious thing and weigh is everything. Sometimes, it can be the difference between making memories and sitting in the gravel with broken bones and trashed bike.
My advise, start with lighter bike and work your way up instead of going for the biggest and heaviest of the lot.

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bultfontein
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2014, 04:43:50 pm »
Lets agree to diagree then  :biggrin:

Most of the incidents I saw was when the rider (mostly myself  :biggrin: ) gave it gas and not really doing it the right way.

Weight is important, but skills are importanter  ;)  lots of guys on GSA would make shame of me on a 450.

Id say, from personal experience, go for the bike you want, but then do some training to make sure you know your own and the bikes limits and abilities  :thumleft:

I started like that, and even Im no Coma, Im sure my instructors and guys riding with me can say that I am quite capable of handling my bike, not because Im good, but because I know where I can take a chance and where I should stay away  :deal:

Offline mirage

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2014, 04:51:23 pm »
I agree on all points :-)
Truth is, bikes we choose with our hearts, so if you like it, you should go for it.
Indeed, I got carried away about technical stuff, which doesn't really matter at times.
I'm looking for something smaller so I can play more in the dirt, it feels like abuse to do rocks and stones on GSA and put dents and scratches on it.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2014, 11:41:48 pm »
I ride a 1200GS.
My legs are too short to safely handle the GSA when maneuvering it while sitting on it.
Here's the test:

Set the suspension to what you will be riding most - e.g. two up no luggage.
Sit on the bike and put your feet on the ground.
If you can have the balls of BOTH feet on the ground, then you are tall enough.
With my legs, I only get one flat foot or two tiptoes.
I can't push forward on the GSA while sitting  on it.

I bought the gs and had the GSA screen fitted new on purchase.
It keeps the wind off my face very nicely, thank you!
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.