Fuel warning light malfunction - 2006 650GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnivore

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Gents - help please.

This light has been acting up for many moons. Finally, it refuses to go out.

I have confirmed that the float switch works correctly, having removed the whole shebang from the tank, and tested the contacts with a MM.

There is enough fuel in the tank to make the contacts of the float switch OPEN... confirmed again with MM.

However, the light does not go out after the obligatory 5 second switch-on test routine. Removing the plug from the tank socket also does not make the light go out when switched on again.. so, the float switch is being duplicated elsewhere, and to my mind, this means a short to earth of the wire that would normally be going to the float switch to be grounded when the switch closes on low fuel level.

Is this a reasonable assumption?

Is the warning light indeed a simple circuit requiring a ground, or is it driven from the control unit.

Note that after refueling, the light will only reset if the bike has been switched off. This suggests that there is some "memory" function, which suggests some involvement with a latching relay, or the control unit.

Any ideas as to where to look? It is a moerova job to uncover all the potential chafe points on the harness.. I am going to unplug, clean and replug the main control unit for a start.