WD Gauteng Social Loop 2008/04/05 - Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Firstly, a big thanks to those who came along for the ride. From the plan thread I was only expecting three or four bikes, but was amazed at van Gaalens that the pack had swollen to ten bikes and three pillion. If I remember right there were four KLR â??08s, two boxer-beemers,  a 650GS, a Strom, my lilâ?? KLE, and of course the everlasting and ever-present reassurance of Malgatâ??s Africa Twin, which must rank up there with Des Pistoriousâ??s million Km Gold Wing as one of Africaâ??s best known bikes.

So how did the format of a â??Free Format Social Loopâ? work. To be honest I donâ??t know as we did not ride it the way I had imagined, but rather as a conventional ride. I arrived at van Gaalens with printed maps, the idea being that if we all knew the route, we could ride at our own pace meeting up at pre-arranged spots, but I think the idea of a â??group rideâ? is so deeply entrenched that it just naturally happens. The general comment was â??Nice maps Peter/Gunda, but since you know the way, just lead on and weâ??ll follow.â?

And so I did, and so they did. The only problem is that it sentenced the pack to a few legs of slow Gunda-Speed riding, but no one seemed to be too critical. Once the route became clearer then the faster bikes were able to go ahead, and by the end of the ride I was in my comfy posie at the back.

I think a group ride may become unmanageable when  the pack gets too big, say 30-40 bikes, but for a pack of ten I suspect I over planned a bit.

Another self-criticism. I donâ??t think brekkie at the start is a good idea. The folks are eager to get out, and it would have made much more sense to stop mid-ride.

I am still left with a problem that I cannot resist eyeballing maps and Google Earth and planning and plotting trips, and as a result I am often in an uncomfortable position up front, but I hate holding people up with my slower speed. How do you organize a ride when the okie that planned it wants to be at the back? Dunno how to solve this one! 

So how was the ride for you guys ? (Sound like a 40-year-married couple â??Was it good for you too Dearest?â? )  I certainly enjoyed being out there and once again the Dog company was excellent.  Being a Saturday the ride was a bit like an ageing flower arrangement losing itâ??s flowers, and by Magaliesburg it was like a Japanese ikebana with a stalk, couple of leaves, and bugger-all else - but still pretty :D

Had a slight problem in that Steve (aka DeepBass9) had a flat, but hey, thatâ??s what it is about, and one of these days it will be me. Mysterious flat it was too. Steve had a spare tube, and while the twenty-handed-grease-monkeys were replacing it I tried to do the patch-solution trick on the old one and discovered a whole number of spots where the rubber had worn thin and it seems the tube had just got moeg and had given up the ghost. It started a whole conversation on condoms, unwanted pregnancies and STDs, but I wonâ??t go there now.   

So thanks for the folks who came along â?? I certainly enjoyed putting it together, and to the guys who were new to Wild Dogs, it was  a pleasure to have you along and hope to see you guys again. 

Pics to follow:-