Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2015 GOC  (Read 11876 times)

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
Re: 2015 GOC
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2015, 01:34:22 pm »
What's the story with pushing the bike in the pits (or am I hearing wrong)? In previous years the pits were moer long - pushing the bike through there will take forever.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Gee S

« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2015, 02:36:48 pm »
What's the story with pushing the bike in the pits (or am I hearing wrong)? In previous years the pits were moer long - pushing the bike through there will take forever.
I really hope that it is just a rumor. There are already 96 bike and 24 quad entries, so imagine how long the pit area will be.
I will be farked if I have to push a bike for more than 20 to 30 meters.
All that wander are not lost

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2015, 02:48:29 pm »
will never happen,, walking pace 1st gear
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2015, 03:17:07 pm »
I wonder if they might be angling towards what is being done at the World Enduro Series, i.e. no riding of bikes outside of the event. In which case a pit stop is part of the event and hence could be ridden. But before the start and after the finish, bikes may not start.

Just a thought.
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2015, 03:40:55 pm »
will never happen,, walking pace 1st gear

Agree - just a silly rumour.

Most were pushing their bikes along the start last year anyway

But you guys will let us know on Monday, right?  :ricky:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Gee S

« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2015, 07:43:44 am »
I have never even been to a GOC or any other off road race for that matter so I need all the info I can get.
1. How does it work in the pit area?
2. Do you just rock up and pitch your gazebo anywhere you like and is there a limit to the size of the space that one can use?
3. At what time should I be there tomorrow morning?
4. Would it be acceptable to bring a small generator to run the cooler box or would someone complain about the noise? >:D
5. What would be the best route to get there from Roodepoort, via Pretoria or via Benoni?

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2015, 08:08:23 am »
one rule, be considerate,, thats all
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2015, 08:08:50 am »
I have never even been to a GOC or any other off road race for that matter so I need all the info I can get.
1. How does it work in the pit area?
2. Do you just rock up and pitch your gazebo anywhere you like and is there a limit to the size of the space that one can use?
3. At what time should I be there tomorrow morning?
4. Would it be acceptable to bring a small generator to run the cooler box or would someone complain about the noise? >:D
5. What would be the best route to get there from Roodepoort, via Pretoria or via Benoni?

1. Study your SSR's;
2. Yes rock up and pitch, the earlier you get there the bigger your choice. Average sized gazebos are fine. Probably not a good idea to waste space if you are only one bike though;
3. Give yourself lots of time, the earlier the beter. Allow for possibly getting lost on the way;
4. You can run a gennie with an extention cord but I would say that is overkill. Cooler box and lots of ice is fine. There are usually drinks for sale as well;
5. Route I would say N1 then N4. Or depending where in Roodepoort, maybe N14, N1, N4.
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline Blitsie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2015, 11:10:18 am »
1. How does it work in the pit area?  - 1st gear 15km/h and they have someone measuring your speed. To fast and you get penalized with time at the end. Refuel on enviro-mat, no drinking in the pits, you must be off your bike to refuel and bikes engine must be switched off. You are not allowed to take short cuts. Stay in the lane and DO NOT pass anybody.
2. Do you just rock up and pitch your gazebo anywhere you like and is there a limit to the size of the space that one can use? Yes, 1st come, 1st serve. Some people setup the night before to have a nice spot but it does not make a difference. EVERYBODY MUST ride through the entire pit anyway. Take 1 gazebo for every 3 riders. Be considerate with your neighbours.
3. At what time should I be there tomorrow morning? 6am on your 1st time if you start at 8am. If you start at 12am, get there anyway at 6am and get a feel for what is going on if it is your 1st time.
4. Would it be acceptable to bring a small generator to run the cooler box or would someone complain about the noise? >:D Run your generator. What vehicle are you driving then I can maybe come and put my beers in your fridge.  :thumleft: If anybody complains, tell them to piss off.
5. What would be the best route to get there from Roodepoort, via Pretoria or via Benoni? What bud500 said.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:11:13 am by Blitsie »
Gou, Gou leen se GAT!!!

Offline Gee S

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2015, 02:32:59 pm »
1. How does it work in the pit area?  - 1st gear 15km/h and they have someone measuring your speed. To fast and you get penalized with time at the end. Refuel on enviro-mat, no drinking in the pits, you must be off your bike to refuel and bikes engine must be switched off. You are not allowed to take short cuts. Stay in the lane and DO NOT pass anybody.
2. Do you just rock up and pitch your gazebo anywhere you like and is there a limit to the size of the space that one can use? Yes, 1st come, 1st serve. Some people setup the night before to have a nice spot but it does not make a difference. EVERYBODY MUST ride through the entire pit anyway. Take 1 gazebo for every 3 riders. Be considerate with your neighbours.
3. At what time should I be there tomorrow morning? 6am on your 1st time if you start at 8am. If you start at 12am, get there anyway at 6am and get a feel for what is going on if it is your 1st time.
4. Would it be acceptable to bring a small generator to run the cooler box or would someone complain about the noise? >:D Run your generator. What vehicle are you driving then I can maybe come and put my beers in your fridge.  :thumleft: If anybody complains, tell them to piss off.
5. What would be the best route to get there from Roodepoort, via Pretoria or via Benoni? What bud500 said.
I will be in a white Nissan Harbody Double cab Gazebo is one of those green canvas jobbies. 300KTM no C278. Decided to rather leave the gennie too much other stuff to take along but you are welcome to come over anyway.

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2015, 04:58:07 pm »
Lekker! Neem 'n foto of twee en laat ons weet hoe dit gegaan het
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2015, 07:44:49 am »

Dit reen vanoggend lekker hier in Pretoria-Oos
 Ek reken die roete gaan ook nat wees ? Of tenminste stofloos. Lekker !
 Laat weet ons hoe dit gaan en soos Dwerg vra, FOTOS asseblief.

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2015, 09:37:57 am »
 Pics & reports ?

Offline Gee S

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2015, 12:13:00 pm »
My eerste GOC race is nou amptelik agter die rug en ek moet se ek het dit baie geniet. Ons het Saterdag oggend amper die heel pad in die reen gery en ek was redelik bekommerd dat dit n modder bad gaan wees. Gelukkig het dit ophou reen voor ons daar aangekom het. Net net nadat ons die gazebo opgeslaan het het dirt weer liggies begin reen maar dit het gelukkig nie lank gehou nie. Die reen was net genoeg om die gras super glad te maak maar nie genoeg om te help met die stof nie.

Toe ek begin opkit was ek nogal baie senuweeagtig maar met die begin van die race was ek heel kalm. Ek het vir my n goeie wegspring gehad en ek dink uit 12 bikes was ek 6de of 7de deur die hek. Die ouens wat in die begin agter was het my wel later verby gegaan. Goot dele van die roete was gladderige gras met baie gras polle en versteekte klippe en die graspolle was onvermeidelik en het my tande laat klap ek het ook n paar klippe onder die gras gertref maar gelukkig sonder enige snakebites.

Ek het op n stadiumgevoel my agterwiel raak pap en moes toe stop om dit reg temaak wat my baie tyd gekos het. Ek kon net nie die Fugit se pypie kry nie en het toe probeer om dit daaronder in die tube in te kry maar dit wou net nie werk nie. Ek het my bumbag drie of vier keer uitgepak maar die pypie was net weg terwyl ek doodseker was dat ek dit wel ingepak het. Toe ek uit moedeloosheid alles op die grond uitgooi kry ek uituindelik die pypie waar dit onder aan die spaar sparkplug se boksie aan n stuk sellotape hang :dousing:

Van daar het alles darem goed gegaan. Die baan was meestal oop grasveld met baie draaie en n klipkoppie  met baie klippe, daar was ook n paar bebosde gedeeltes wat baie skerp draaie opmekaar gehad het. Dan was daar was ook n groot modder gat wat veral op die tweede rondte lekker diep uitgetrap was. Daar was ook n paar lekker straights met klippe en los sand op plekke in die mielie lande en hulle was nie baie lank nie. Die stof in die mielie lande was baie erg en ek het op n stadium teen n stadige drafstappie gery net om uit die stof uit te bly terwyl die topmanne flatout by my verby gekom het. Ek weet nou nog nie hoe hulle so vinnig kan ry terwyl hylle bogger all kan sien nie. Elke loop was so 40 Km lank.

Ek was laaste maar dit het my nie eers gepla nie. Om klaar te maak  sonder om te crash en om dit te geniet was my doelwit vir die eerste race en ek het dit bereik.

Die formaat is vir my 100% van wat ek wil doen dit was baie lekker. Die catering was ook redelik goed en ek sal beslis my bes doen om die volgende race ook te ry.

Ek het n paar fotos en video's wat ek sal probeer om vanaand op te laai.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »
Well done Gee S, glad you enjoyed it. AND you finished, which is a bonus on your first attempt.

See you at the next one  :thumleft:

P.S. Yep, those fast boys have some 6th sense - or maybe, no sense at all.  :biggrin:

Offline Buff

« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2015, 09:20:48 pm »
Well done Gee S, always good to get the first one behind you with a finish  :thumleft: Placing means nothing just yet, just go have fun and improve your skill level  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2015, 07:32:41 am »

Mooiso Gee S !
 Om klaar te maak is altyd lekker veral met die eerste ren.
 Pap wiele tref almal wat binnebande gebruik.
 Bele' in moosses, dit is elke sent werd as jy dit meet hoeveel geld dit jou kos (alle kostes) om deel te neem.
 In 2013 het ek n laaitjie vol geborg, behalwe sy inskrywingsgeld in die open club klas.
 Ek het ordentelike moosses ingesit. Wil nie pap wiele he' nie want vir n GOC tiepe ren is jy uit met net n pap wiel t.o.v punte.
 Ons boel was om met die 1e helfte van die reeks binne die eerste 15 klaar te maak.
 Daarna, met die 2e helfte, in die eerste 10 klaar te maak.
 Hy't met die 1e wedren laaste weggetrek, en stelselmatig opgeskuif en elke wedren weggetrek en elke ene klaar gemaak.
 Uiteindelik het hy (#205) 3e in die reeks geeindig sonder om n wen vir 'n wedren los te ry.
 Dit is met een stel moosses gedoen saam met twee vars voor- en drie vars agter bande.
 Consistency is the name of this GOC game. 

Offline Gee S

« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:58 am »
Dankie julle. Ek moet se ek voel nogal goed  dat ek klaar gemaak het.

My hoofdoel om die GOC races is om ondervinding te kry en fiks te word. n Wen is glad nie deel van my planne nie maar ek wil probeer om elke wedren klaar te maak en om in elke wedren n klein bietjie beter te ry.

Gser ek dink jy is reg met die mooses ek is nou moeg vir papwiele, die vorige naweek by Wild West moes ek n voor en ager tube koop teen R300-00 elk plus fitting nou nog die naweek se tube vervang en ek is al amper halfpad na die prys van mooses. Ek sal beslis n plan moet maak.

Offline Gee S

« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:00 pm »
Hier is n paar fotos. My skooneun het ongelukkig geen fotos ntydens die wedren geneem nie.. Ek sukkel nog om my helmet cam video's te edit maar sal dit op laai sodra ek dit reg het.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:55 am »
Nice pics  :thumleft:

I did a 'Family Adventures' ride on the weekend (for a post-op warm-up) and went over the bars at 100+, after hitting a lurker. It wasn't a race but you know how it goes ................ dunno how I missed another hospital visit  :o :o :o

Although some dangers were marked, the ones that were gonna kill you at high speed weren't.

Made me realise how much safer the GOCs are - being marked for racers and not family out-rides.

I'm looking forward to the next GOC, just gotta get my ribs sorted ........

Gee S, how many riders were there and how were you seperated into your starting groups?