Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2015 GOC  (Read 11925 times)

Offline Gee S

Re: 2015 GOC
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2015, 08:37:14 am »
Glad you are OK  Another serious injurie would have been bad news. I hit a lurker between the pull away and the start gate and almost saw my arse right there but in retrospect I think that was a good thing as that cleared the redmist immediately.

I am a noob but to me the route was really well marked. I just have to remember to look at the markings. In the video you will see I did not react in time to all the markings.

We were 111 bikes and 29 Quads.

The Quads started early and the bikes statrted at 11:00, by that time some of the quads were already finished.

We were set up in rows devided by class, OR1, OR2, Seniors, Masters, Ladys and the Pros started last with a 2 mininute gap between the start of each class. I think it worked very well with the only danger point being the gate where the groups with more riders bunched up a bit but there were no crashes that I am aware of. Also the futher back you started the more space there was to strech the bunch out before reaching the gate,

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:03:08 am by Gee S »
All that wander are not lost

Offline Gee S

« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:13 am »
Hier  solank twee clips. Hulle cover min of meer die 1ste helfte van die 1st loop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nrqlU7sqac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8r2wGpLlcw

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2015, 07:23:53 pm »
Gee S, what's the difference between Pro and Pro-Amateur?

I see that they rode at different times and the Pros rode 1/2 an hour longer than the Pro-Amateurs.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2015, 07:30:51 pm »
big diff's between the Pro's and amateur's
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Gee S

« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2015, 10:05:25 pm »
Gee S, what's the difference between Pro and Pro-Amateur?

I see that they rode at different times and the Pros rode 1/2 an hour longer than the Pro-Amateurs.
I am not 100% sure but I think the Pro amateurs are for the wanna be racers like me and the Pro's are for the guys that can really ride. They also have to do more laps than the amateurs.

Offline Gee S

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2015, 10:34:36 pm »
The 2nd round will no longer be at Warmbaths, it will now be at Carletonville. The date is still the 14th of March.
Anybody else doing this one?

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2015, 07:20:03 am »
Me + a couple other geriatrics

Will be riding Master Pro Amateur class - sounds like I know what I'm doing - should be called Vintage Class  ::)

Offline Gee S

« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2015, 08:36:29 am »
Me + a couple other geriatrics

Will be riding Master Pro Amateur class - sounds like I know what I'm doing - should be called Vintage Class  ::)
Ha Ha, I am also in the master class. Master of disaster if you ask me. :lol8:

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2015, 08:21:25 pm »
fcuk it, Ive got the same sorta kak as last year - it's impossible to enter my first race - FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Done all I have to do but there's no scrutineering form or submit entry button when entering - how, in this day and age, can these knobs still not get it right?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

As much as I hate to say it - we need a spotty american kid .........................

Amateurs  ::) ::)

Offline Gee S

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2015, 08:41:52 pm »
Frustrating to say the least. Entries was supossedly opened yesterday, but I had no luck. Will try again tomorrow.

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2015, 09:56:31 pm »
The system was great until they changed from Race Control to Pro Timing, I know of numerous riders who have given up trying to enter, best is to call Hannes tomorrow and sort it out with him

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2015, 07:23:10 am »
Will give it a couple days, he's probably getting bombarded at the moment .......................

Offline Gee S

« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2015, 03:36:11 pm »
Everything seems to be working now. I have entered and paid.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2015, 05:30:32 pm »
60 odd senior bike entries so far and a handfull of quads - is GOC gonna make it through the year????

Last year we had hundreds, even at the club races. What was it like in years gone by, StuartC??

I think they've commited suicide by not attracting the regional and national riders ....... hope I'm wrong, though.

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2015, 01:11:17 pm »
At one stage they had to cut off at 400 riders and over 100 quads, what would have made it work this year would have been if they went with the GNCC racing that they were going to and no affiliation to MSA/WOMZA which would have attracted the weekend warrior like the Farm Jam events, also the entry fee of R600 is a bit steep  IMHO, they needed to bring it down to around R400 for what it is at the end of the day,, I hope it makes the end of the season,, would be a shame if it dies.

Offline Gee S

« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2015, 11:06:44 am »
Senior bikes 90 entries at the moment but only 24 quads? lets hope for at least 20 to 30 more bike entries.
Exept for the distance of races was there anything else that changed? Why the sudden a lack of interest in this series?

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2015, 04:13:29 pm »
It's been dying over the last couple of years, there are a few reasons, using the same venue's ,cost etc,, big problem is venues are in short supply

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2015, 10:55:23 pm »
 & money in short reply ?

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2015, 05:13:16 pm »
Well, that's my first one out of the way - I'm feeling like I've been hit with a hammer today

I'm not too sure doing these GOCs at 50 is such a good idea. I managed the 3 laps but was hoping to squeeze in a 4th before the timebar, luckily they told me to stop .............. I was pooped and dehydrated. I drove home with a banging headache that took hours to clear.

And to top it all, I've got blisters on my throttle hand !! I haven't had blisters for years - must be the new JT gloves I was wearing. I wore them for 5 days straight at last years Amageza but they fooked me up in 3 hours yesterday and I didn't even get wet hands.

In fact, the only water crossing for the day was about 6 inches wide - it was dusty and hot AND my riding buddy beat me - knob!

But I'll be back for the next one - he ain't getting away with that  >:D

P.S. the turnout was good - I don't think I'd like more riders, the dust woulda been more hectic.

Offline Gee S

« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:18 am »
So the second race is over and I had a great race.

The start with all the bikes lined up by class is exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time. The only thing that I dont like about the dead engine start is that the guys with electrick starters will allways be 1st of the line and through the gate. on the other hand I suppose it makes things a little less hectick as it speads things out a little and you dont have 18 bikes trying to go through the gate at the same time.

Like Cracker said the dust was really bad espescially the 1st few K's after the start when we were still bunched up. A couple of K's after the start there was a sharp turn to the right that I feel should have been marked as a tripple danger as the track turned right just after a little hump. With all the dust I did not see it in time and myself and a few guys in front of me went straight into the vlei barely missing two guys that have crashed there. I later spoke to the one guys daughter who told me that he was ok but that he broke his right leg just above the knee.

In the vlei the guy in front of me roosted me so badly that I could not see anything and had to remove and clean my goggles. I lost about 2 minutes here. The good thing about this was that I had clean air in front of me when I pulled away again but the bad was that I was stone last. So I put my head down and went for it

The terrain suited my limited experience very well and I was able to make up a couple of places again. I only had my wife as pitcrew and I am sure that without the help of one of the guys from Silverlake KTM on the one side and a guy from Yamaha on our other side I would have lost a lot of time in the pitts. Unfortunately I did not get their names but thank you very much. :thumleft:

On the second lap I speeded up a bit and going down a long bumpy straight at about 120 where the frontwheel became airborne a few times I sudenly got a very violent tankslapper and I still dont know how I managed to stay upright, but I can tell you it scared me silly, on the last lap I cruised down there. a Little later I again had a mild tankslapper going flat out but the front wheel did not get much air this time. What could be the cause of this?

Regarding hydration I drank less than 2 liters from my Camel Back during the three laps and was not dehydrated at all.
The night before the race I would drink 500 mills of water with a sache of Magnesit in it and about 30 minutes before the race I would drink another 500 mills. I fill my Camel back with 2 liters water and 2 saches of Magnesit. When coming in to pitt I would drink another 500mills of magenesit water.
This works well for me and also prevent my legs from cramping up.

I will try to post some photo's and video clips toninght

Fluit fluit my storie is uit.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:55:48 am by Gee S »