KZN - Valley of Thousand Hills - 2008/04/13 Is Go !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I don’t often see the KZN dawgs here much, but I know they must be out there somewhere!

I am coming down to KZN for about ten days this week and the bike will be tagging along behind, and need to fill an idle Sunday, and I think I know how.  ;D

When I was there (’97-’07) the Valley of a Thousand Hills was always my favourite riding area, and a while ago I took a few riders on a route similar to the attached, and I would love to do it again. 

The route contemplated starts at the NPN garage in St Johns Ave, Pinetown, down the “jeep track” to Inanda dam, and then up to the top of MtabaTula, skirting the Shembe religious village. Can ride through the village, which is fascinating,  but they have a “no shoes” rule and I found riding barefoot on my bike with soft feet and metal foot-pegs a bit eina.  Visit the unnamed Mphophoma waterfall,  and from there to the top of Nanda Mountain, and then up the valley to Nagle dam and conservation area. From there up the hill to the Comrades Route and a stop for a bite/drink somewhere like Hacienda or Dirk’s and then Own Arrangements.

The MotoGP in Portugal is on the day @ 14:00 so I would like to watch it at the Hacienda in Monteseel so need to be there by then. 

The route is only about 110Km (50% gravel)  and I have GPS tracks for all except the bit marked A to B, and I don’t see a problem on maps and Google Earth. Apart from a short bit on Mtabatula it is all quite easy and almost Noob-Friendly, and this is Gunda,  so I don’t see a hectic ride here. 

Anyone want to rabbit out ahead they are free to take my spare Foretrex GPS and I’ll put the route in it. 

Anyone keen ?

Peter

Attachments

• PropRoute.jpg
    PropRoute.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 226
  • PlanApr2008.gpx
    81 KB · Views: 24