Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2015 Amageza Rallye - Buildup Thread  (Read 74832 times)

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Rebel Alpha Male
Re: 2015 Amageza Rallye
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2015, 02:14:18 pm »
I think it's wonderful that the Amageza is becoming so professional, but I worry that it's going to start excluding people (like me!).

A rough, quick budget, assuming you've already got a suitable bike platform, and qualify for some discounts:

entry fee19100
roadbook holder3800
radio1000
handlebar switches2500
One RNS/ICO5000
tyres&tubes5000
fuel3360
assistance vehicle entry fee5400
Oil service1000

To this, we still need to add the cost of the Sentinel and GPS brackets. So call it R50k. I'm a poor Kaapie... that's a lot of dosh for me. In fact, it's more than my bike's worth! I realise that there was big-bucks at the last Amageza. Plenty fully-kitted KTMs. But this is a barrier-of-entry that's not really noob-friendly.

And this excludes any prep you need to make to your bike (long range tanks are pricey, rally towers and things are too; I'd need to bolt to handlebars for now) or fuel for your support vehicle. 'Course, you could try'n use bicycle computers and a DIY roadbook holder, and that could save you about R10k. But I doubt most newbies would get away with much less than R50k. Peanuts for the average European in the Dakar, but this is money-from-the-bond for me.

Alexander, there was talk at one time to have a class for guys with ADV bikes, who would use normal GPS units for nav. Is this still on the cards? If so, would they be allowed to use fuel cans/bladders?
I am afraid I have made the same dream-killing sum
..............and I have already bought a bike in anticipation.
If you add the cost of a bike and rally build into the equation you end up closer to a 100K in costs.
To start off with my family is really not so keen on me spending 50k for a 10 day solo adventure.
Now if something positively drastic happens financially...............hmmmm............... if not...................
 :BangHead:
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2015, 03:00:44 pm »
I also think this year is going to be a financial stretch for the first timers. If you already have a rallye bike from the previous years, not so bad.

But still the cheapest rallye in the world? Probably.

Offline melvman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2015, 04:06:30 pm »
What is the setup with regards to overnight accomodation for riders and their assistants? Does averyone provide their own tents and sleeping bags and camp within the beauvac area?

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2015, 04:29:09 pm »
I think it's wonderful that the Amageza is becoming so professional, but I worry that it's going to start excluding people (like me!).

A rough, quick budget, assuming you've already got a suitable bike platform, and qualify for some discounts:

entry fee19100
roadbook holder3800
radio1000
handlebar switches2500
One RNS/ICO5000
tyres&tubes5000
fuel3360
Oil service1000

To this, we still need to add the cost of the Sentinel and GPS brackets. So call it R50k. I'm a poor Kaapie... that's a lot of dosh for me. In fact, it's more than my bike's worth! I realise that there was big-bucks at the last Amageza. Plenty fully-kitted KTMs. But this is a barrier-of-entry that's not really noob-friendly.

And this excludes any prep you need to make to your bike (long range tanks are pricey, rally towers and things are too; I'd need to bolt to handlebars for now) or fuel for your support vehicle. 'Course, you could try'n use bicycle computers and a DIY roadbook holder, and that could save you about R10k. But I doubt most newbies would get away with much less than R50k. Peanuts for the average European in the Dakar, but this is money-from-the-bond for me.

Alexander, there was talk at one time to have a class for guys with ADV bikes, who would use normal GPS units for nav. Is this still on the cards? If so, would they be allowed to use fuel cans/bladders?
If you add the cost of a bike and rally build into the equation you end up closer to a 100K in costs.
To start off with my family is really not so keen on me spending 50k for a 10 day solo adventure.
Now if something positively drastic happens financially...............hmmmm............... if not...................

Don't let anyone convince you this is a cheap sport... but it doesn't have to be as bad as above.

You can look around for a second hand road book and ICO. The handlebar switch comes with the ICO. You can form a team and split the assistance vehicle fees - and save on costs getting to Kimberley - we did that last year and it was just a friend and a transport van - we did all the mechanicals ourselves pretty much.

Then there's also the option of selling the stuff afterwards if you aren't going to use it again... you should get quite a bit of money back... ICO's and road books sell for quite high values.. to other ambitious suckers looking forward to their first rally (mis)adventure.

Jagsding and a few others are prepping 525's this year. I reckon you could prep one for R50k and if you didn't want to carry on rallying or rough touring on a small bike, then sell the prepped bike for at least 80% of its value... maybe much more. That's of course if you don't get hooked! And good luck avoiding that. I'll be back on the start line for shiz!

Offline KarooKid

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2015, 04:40:27 pm »
So seems like finding a team is important!!
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Wild Woody

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life is a Journey, Enjoy the Ride........
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2015, 04:53:16 pm »
So seems like finding a team is important!!

Yip thats my plan  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
"No Politics, No Religion..... Be Humble and treat everyone with Dignity and Respect"

Honda Xl 250; BMW650GS Dakar; BMW F800GSA

Offline alli

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Where to next?
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2015, 06:00:01 pm »
subscribed .
GONE INSANE.....BACK SOON

KLR650 & DR350S & XR600R

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2015, 07:01:24 pm »

entry fee19100
roadbook holder3800
radio1000
handlebar switches2500
One RNS/ICO5000
tyres&tubes5000
fuel3360
Oil service1000

Don't let anyone convince you this is a cheap sport... but it doesn't have to be as bad as above.

You can look around for a second hand road book and ICO. The handlebar switch comes with the ICO. You can form a team and split the assistance vehicle fees - and save on costs getting to Kimberley - we did that last year and it was just a friend and a transport van - we did all the mechanicals ourselves pretty much.

Then there's also the option of selling the stuff afterwards if you aren't going to use it again... you should get quite a bit of money back... ICO's and road books sell for quite high values.. to other ambitious suckers looking forward to their first rally (mis)adventure.

Jagsding and a few others are prepping 525's this year. I reckon you could prep one for R50k and if you didn't want to carry on rallying or rough touring on a small bike, then sell the prepped bike for at least 80% of its value... maybe much more. That's of course if you don't get hooked! And good luck avoiding that. I'll be back on the start line for shiz!
I am not a fist timer
Came 23rd in the 2012 Amageza in Sutherland
........that said - I did it with my 950 SE and since then the race has become much more technical and with lots of sand
...............hence the need for a smaller sandfriendly bike.

I also bought a 525 recently in prep for the 2015 Amageza
The thing is even with a cheap build it is still going to cost a lot
And please don't for one moment think that I don't realise it is worth every cent.
It is just a fact that if you don't have loose moolah lying around you will have to take out a small loan for this without sponsors

I'm afraid that is out of the ques for me
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline clutch

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:36 pm »
Revs het n fully preped wr450 vir r45000 op die forum gehad n tydjie terug...was julle aan die slaap  ::)

Offline KarooKid

• Race Dog
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2015, 09:30:29 pm »
Probably going to sell mine as well. Maticulously prepared by Scooterbike
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2015, 12:11:13 am »

entry fee19100
roadbook holder3800
radio1000
handlebar switches2500
One RNS/ICO5000
tyres&tubes5000
fuel3360
Oil service1000

I am not a fist timer
........that said - I did it with my 950 SE and since then the race has become much more technical and with lots of sand

And please don't for one moment think that I don't realise it is worth every cent.
It is just a fact that if you don't have loose moolah lying around you will have to take out a small loan for this without sponsors

Oh stop being such a big girl.

Sell the 525 and do it on your SE.

Myself and Rudi are going to probably do it again on ours.

It really is not so technical. Yes there's a lot of sand but, it's not that big of an issue with these bikes.

Biggest issue is fitness. Get very fit and have fun.
Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline Rickus

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2015, 07:07:16 am »

It really is not so technical. Yes there's a lot of sand but, it's not that big of an issue with these bikes.

[/quote]

Wyse woorde van n wyse OU man  :peepwall:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:08:18 am by Rickus »

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:47 am »
Karoo Kid,
Let me know when you look at selling as I am looking.
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Offline charliepappa

• Pack Dog
  • Life's a ride!
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2015, 08:13:19 am »

entry fee19100
roadbook holder3800
radio1000
handlebar switches2500
One RNS/ICO5000
tyres&tubes5000
fuel3360
Oil service1000

I am not a fist timer

@Kamanya

Post bietjie picks van julle SE's se setup vir die Amageza asb.  :deal:

Ek het n lang termyn projek om myne ook reg te kry vir die Amageza.  :ricky:

R1100S Sport, R1200GS Adventure, R1100S Boxer Cup, F650GS, KTM 950 SE, R1200GS LC, Africa Twin DCT

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2015, 09:00:14 am »
@Kamanya

Post bietjie picks van julle SE's se setup vir die Amageza asb.  :deal:

Ek het n lang termyn projek om myne ook reg te kry vir die Amageza.  :ricky:

It's all in here:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=162917.0
Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:24 am »
I'm also kicking the idea around of swopping my 690 for a 950se after this year's Amageza.  I feel in sand tracks I like the bigger bikes better, as long as it has the required clearance, suspension and power.

I don't think that I'm keen to set up a new bike before August, though.

Offline noble steed

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2015, 02:52:52 pm »
I'm paid and entered for my first Amageza..!

Lots of riding to do between now and August. Anyone want to sell me a roadbook holder they're no longer using?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:54:07 pm by noble steed »

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2015, 04:03:19 pm »
@ NS
**Snip **
Anyone want to sell me a roadbook holder they're no longer using?
** snap**

Rockfox are developing a roadbook.  It will be VERY well priced.  First shakedown test mid Feb 2015

Details to follow soon.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Minxy

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2015, 04:23:40 pm »
@ NS
**Snip **
Anyone want to sell me a roadbook holder they're no longer using?
** snap**

Rockfox are developing a roadbook.  It will be VERY well priced.  First shakedown test mid Feb 2015

Details to follow soon.

Adie

Good to know, I am also interested  :thumleft:
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline noble steed

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2015, 05:38:40 pm »
Looking forward to seeing what you develop