Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2015 Amageza Rallye - Buildup Thread  (Read 76366 times)

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

Re: 2015 Amageza Rallye
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2015, 10:34:27 pm »
Look here for the upcoming Rockfox Roadbook holder

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=166911.0

Adie
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:36:38 pm by Weedkiller - Adie »
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Flatdog

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • FB bush boys camp and cottages
    • Bush-Boys Facebook page
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »
my entry is in, newbie first timer, great thread this for tips and info. See you'all along the way!
Bush Boys Adventure Camp and Cottages, Tonteldoos

Offline lj111

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2015, 02:01:42 pm »
 :sip: :ricky:
Some people feel the rain and others just get wet...

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2015, 11:07:45 pm »
I think it's wonderful that the Amageza is becoming so professional, but I worry that it's going to start excluding people (like me!).

A rough, quick budget, assuming you've already got a suitable bike platform, and qualify for some discounts:

entry fee19100
roadbook holder3800
radio1000
handlebar switches2500
One RNS/ICO5000
tyres&tubes5000
fuel3360
assistance vehicle entry fee5400
Oil service1000

To this, we still need to add the cost of the Sentinel and GPS brackets. So call it R50k. I'm a poor Kaapie... that's a lot of dosh for me. In fact, it's more than my bike's worth! I realise that there was big-bucks at the last Amageza. Plenty fully-kitted KTMs. But this is a barrier-of-entry that's not really noob-friendly.

And this excludes any prep you need to make to your bike (long range tanks are pricey, rally towers and things are too; I'd need to bolt to handlebars for now) or fuel for your support vehicle. 'Course, you could try'n use bicycle computers and a DIY roadbook holder, and that could save you about R10k. But I doubt most newbies would get away with much less than R50k. Peanuts for the average European in the Dakar, but this is money-from-the-bond for me.

Alexander, there was talk at one time to have a class for guys with ADV bikes, who would use normal GPS units for nav. Is this still on the cards? If so, would they be allowed to use fuel cans/bladders?
I am afraid I have made the same dream-killing sum
..............and I have already bought a bike in anticipation.
If you add the cost of a bike and rally build into the equation you end up closer to a 100K in costs.
To start off with my family is really not so keen on me spending 50k for a 10 day solo adventure.
Now if something positively drastic happens financially...............hmmmm............... if not...................
 :BangHead:

Don't let anyone convince you this is a cheap sport... but it doesn't have to be as bad as above.

You can look around for a second hand road book and ICO. The handlebar switch comes with the ICO. You can form a team and split the assistance vehicle fees - and save on costs getting to Kimberley - we did that last year and it was just a friend and a transport van - we did all the mechanicals ourselves pretty much.

Then there's also the option of selling the stuff afterwards if you aren't going to use it again... you should get quite a bit of money back... ICO's and road books sell for quite high values.. to other ambitious suckers looking forward to their first rally (mis)adventure.

Jagsding and a few others are prepping 525's this year. I reckon you could prep one for R50k and if you didn't want to carry on rallying or rough touring on a small bike, then sell the prepped bike for at least 80% of its value... maybe much more. That's of course if you don't get hooked! And good luck avoiding that. I'll be back on the start line for shiz!
I am not a fist timer
Came 23rd in the 2012 Amageza in Sutherland
........that said - I did it with my 950 SE and since then the race has become much more technical and with lots of sand
...............hence the need for a smaller sandfriendly bike.

I also bought a 525 recently in prep for the 2015 Amageza
The thing is even with a cheap build it is still going to cost a lot
And please don't for one moment think that I don't realise it is worth every cent.
It is just a fact that if you don't have loose moolah lying around you will have to take out a small loan for this without sponsors

I'm afraid that is out of the ques for me

Oh stop being such a big girl.

Sell the 525 and do it on your SE.

Myself and Rudi are going to probably do it again on ours.

It really is not so technical. Yes there's a lot of sand but, it's not that big of an issue with these bikes.

Biggest issue is fitness. Get very fit and have fun.

Big girl you say huh?
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2015, 04:50:09 am »
I think it's wonderful that the Amageza is becoming so professional, but I worry that it's going to start excluding people (like me!).

A rough, quick budget, assuming you've already got a suitable bike platform, and qualify for some discounts:

entry fee19100
roadbook holder3800
radio1000
handlebar switches2500
One RNS/ICO5000
tyres&tubes5000
fuel3360
assistance vehicle entry fee5400
Oil service1000

To this, we still need to add the cost of the Sentinel and GPS brackets. So call it R50k. I'm a poor Kaapie... that's a lot of dosh for me. In fact, it's more than my bike's worth! I realise that there was big-bucks at the last Amageza. Plenty fully-kitted KTMs. But this is a barrier-of-entry that's not really noob-friendly.

And this excludes any prep you need to make to your bike (long range tanks are pricey, rally towers and things are too; I'd need to bolt to handlebars for now) or fuel for your support vehicle. 'Course, you could try'n use bicycle computers and a DIY roadbook holder, and that could save you about R10k. But I doubt most newbies would get away with much less than R50k. Peanuts for the average European in the Dakar, but this is money-from-the-bond for me.

Alexander, there was talk at one time to have a class for guys with ADV bikes, who would use normal GPS units for nav. Is this still on the cards? If so, would they be allowed to use fuel cans/bladders?
I am afraid I have made the same dream-killing sum
..............and I have already bought a bike in anticipation.
If you add the cost of a bike and rally build into the equation you end up closer to a 100K in costs.
To start off with my family is really not so keen on me spending 50k for a 10 day solo adventure.
Now if something positively drastic happens financially...............hmmmm............... if not...................
 :BangHead:

Don't let anyone convince you this is a cheap sport... but it doesn't have to be as bad as above.

You can look around for a second hand road book and ICO. The handlebar switch comes with the ICO. You can form a team and split the assistance vehicle fees - and save on costs getting to Kimberley - we did that last year and it was just a friend and a transport van - we did all the mechanicals ourselves pretty much.

Then there's also the option of selling the stuff afterwards if you aren't going to use it again... you should get quite a bit of money back... ICO's and road books sell for quite high values.. to other ambitious suckers looking forward to their first rally (mis)adventure.

Jagsding and a few others are prepping 525's this year. I reckon you could prep one for R50k and if you didn't want to carry on rallying or rough touring on a small bike, then sell the prepped bike for at least 80% of its value... maybe much more. That's of course if you don't get hooked! And good luck avoiding that. I'll be back on the start line for shiz!
I am not a fist timer
Came 23rd in the 2012 Amageza in Sutherland
........that said - I did it with my 950 SE and since then the race has become much more technical and with lots of sand
...............hence the need for a smaller sandfriendly bike.

I also bought a 525 recently in prep for the 2015 Amageza
The thing is even with a cheap build it is still going to cost a lot
And please don't for one moment think that I don't realise it is worth every cent.
It is just a fact that if you don't have loose moolah lying around you will have to take out a small loan for this without sponsors

I'm afraid that is out of the ques for me

Oh stop being such a big girl.

Sell the 525 and do it on your SE.

Myself and Rudi are going to probably do it again on ours.

It really is not so technical. Yes there's a lot of sand but, it's not that big of an issue with these bikes.

Biggest issue is fitness. Get very fit and have fun.

Big girl you say huh?

JA SWIFTY - IS JY DOOF / BLIND ?

OF NET BANG ...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:50:51 am by Jagsding »
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2015, 07:23:15 pm »
as much as I want too, I am still hesitant to enter. this hole 'car' thing bothers me. How will it work?
Are the Bikes racing on the same route as the cars, at the same time? Who starts first, and who crashes into who in the dust? Will the track be 'easier' because of the cars?
Does anyone know more about the logistics of this?
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2015, 09:51:58 pm »
You just need to be faster than a bakkie  >:D

Offline BV

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2015, 06:20:10 am »
In offroad racing they had to split the cars and bikes. Cars are faster than bikes.
Ktm 250 2t ktm3002t Husqvarna 300 TPI
ktm 450 RR Husqvarna 701
KTM 950 x2

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2015, 07:08:50 am »
We're splitting the course wherever possible, and staggered starts should help.

Offline Mooch

« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2015, 08:20:18 am »
 :sip:
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2015, 02:29:45 pm »
There are a number of options available to ensure the safety of all the competitors, these include:
  • Splitting the Special Section like Crossed-up said.
  • Starting either the bikes or cars first, depending on the route and who will be most likely fastest. (Dakar uses a 2-3 hour gap between last bike and first car.)
  • Using the ERTF/ Sentinal product so cars can give bikes warning when approaching.

As said in 2011, the objective of the Amageza is to be the one race where you can get the closest experience possible to the Dakar Rally at a fraction of the entry fee. Including cars and quads are part of this.

I would give my LEFT AND RIGHT BALL to do a rally like the Amageza in South Africa for such a minuscule price. My liewe genade guys, enter the damn race and stop making excuses why you can't, won't, etc.  ;)

As also said many times before. You are our only partners in this mission. See it as your DEMOCRATIC RIGHT to be a MAN (WOMAN) and race if you damn well feel like it!  :thumleft:

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2015, 07:14:05 pm »
In offroad racing they had to split the cars and bikes. Cars are faster than bikes.
Don't be to afraid. Much safer today.
 I survived the old school Toyota 1000, Baberspan 500, etc. races. Bikes, cars, bakkies, sandmasters all in the thick of it.
 Oo, and that includes the days before the quads.
 Without road books, satnav stuff, sat tracking, "short" travel suspension, flares, mousses, desert tires, etc.
 We had a lot of fun and vasbyting.
 Made a lot of friends !

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2015, 11:06:50 am »
We're splitting the course wherever possible, and staggered starts should help.

:thumleft: :thumleft:
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Scrat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2015, 07:26:52 am »
ok, I'm in... again! 1st 2 payments done  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
Amageza #5 here i come!!
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2015, 08:50:07 am »
I see there is a discount if you pay before a certain time. Is that an early payment discount or is that the discount for being a previous entrant?
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2015, 09:55:00 am »
I see there is a discount if you pay before a certain time. Is that an early payment discount or is that the discount for being a previous entrant?

I believe there is discount applicable for both...?
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2015, 10:01:49 am »

Loyalty System
The Amageza Loyalty System gives a 10% discount for each Amageza Rallye entered.
The maximum count is 3, where 30% discount is given.
The count has to be consecutive. If you miss one year, the count resets.
You cannot claim 10% early payment and loyalty discount. It's one discount group only. The loyalty discount expires only on 30 June 2015 whereas the early payment discount expires in intervals.
Example:
If you had paid for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 Amageza, then you can claim a 30% discount.
If however you did 2013, then missed 2014 you cannot receive any discount.
If you have done all the Amageza Rallies you can still only claim a maximum of 30% discount.
How to claim:
You need to email your name and surname to entry@amageza.com, with the subject being DISCOUNT and containing the years you had entered and paid. You will then be placed in the corresponding discount group.
You need to be in the discount group BEFORE ordering anything. Once you have ordered, the discount cannot be applied unless the order is deleted and redone. In the event that you have already ordered and paid, a 10% of total admin fee will be levied to redo the order and transfer the funds.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:04:58 am by Crossed-up »

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2015, 10:11:49 am »
Cool so in other words I've got a bit more time to get my ducks in a row. Thanks  :thumleft:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:38 am »
If you have any queries, particularly about money, address them to Alexander via a call, SMS or email. Details under "Contact" on amageza.com.

Even though he's on his way to the hinterland today, he'll always be in contact with the Amageza site and the "shop".

He'll occasionally check this forum out of interest and courtesy, not as an administrative imperative.

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2015, 11:53:12 am »
 :sip:
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660