Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2015 Amageza Rallye - Buildup Thread  (Read 76216 times)

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
Re: 2015 Amageza Rallye
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2015, 12:06:30 pm »
Cool so in other words I've got a bit more time to get my ducks in a row. Thanks  :thumleft:
Dwerg , jy's oor die berg , 10% af vir jou inskryfgeld.
 Daar is ouens wat 30% af kan kry !
 'n Paar ouens sou  daarvan gehou het om - 40% te kon kry.

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2015, 02:14:17 pm »
:sip:

you drinking coffee already boet wait you need it in 9 months time  :imposer:  You need to do the AmaG now before the real sleep deprivation hits  :laughing4:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:12 pm »
ok, I'm in... again! 1st 2 payments done  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
Amageza #5 here i come!!

Excellent!!
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2015, 09:03:10 pm »
Paid yesterday, thus I'll be attempting to see Nam and Bots from the comfort of a 690 seat.

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2015, 01:50:52 pm »
Is there a limit to the number of entries?
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Minxy

« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »
Is there a limit to the number of entries?

I think they said it's limited to 80 for the motorcycle class.
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline SteveD

« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2015, 02:47:09 pm »
From Alexander's FB:

"In Gaborone, Botswana working with Gillian to set up the 3 stages crossing Botswana for the 2015 Amageza Rallye. First meeting at 14:00 with the Government."

So he's aiming for three stages in Botswana.....  :peepwall:

Offline ktmpilot

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2015, 09:40:58 am »
Apparently there is a briefing at RAD on Friday afternoon about this year's Amageza, but I can't go due to being away for work - is there maybe anyone else on the forum who might be able to go and take notes and maybe post the main details here for those of us that can't go?

* RALLYE * HARD ENDURO * MTB *

KTM 690 ENDURO-R RALLYE-LITE * 2016 AMAGEZA FINISHER
KTM 300 XC-W * 2015 ROOF OF AFRICA BRONZE FINISHER
KTM Aera Comp 29er

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2015, 09:49:40 am »
... and upload those notes here!  ::)

Offline Minxy

« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2015, 10:16:24 am »
Apparently there is a briefing at RAD on Friday afternoon about this year's Amageza, but I can't go due to being away for work - is there maybe anyone else on the forum who might be able to go and take notes and maybe post the main details here for those of us that can't go?

I'll be there, will take notes for sure!
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2015, 10:56:32 am »
The current picture is very fluid as permissions are granted or refused, and as this affects the logistical flow.

You will cross borders, so make sure you have everything in order, including passports, drivers licences (do we need to carry the bike's papers?) and yet more cash. Some of the international competitors might need visas etc.

We'll be quite likely to cross malaria areas. Appropriate prophylactics might be in order.

Offline Bazinga

• Race Dog
  • Nat-Su-Kow
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2015, 11:43:57 am »
 :sip:

Offline ktmpilot

• Pack Dog
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2015, 06:29:12 pm »

Thanks Minxsy, much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTM Aera Comp 29er

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2015, 07:29:14 pm »

Go Minxy,  go for it !

Offline MDT

« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2015, 09:24:10 am »
I think it's wonderful that the Amageza is becoming so professional, but I worry that it's going to start excluding people (like me!).

A rough, quick budget, assuming you've already got a suitable bike platform, and qualify for some discounts:

entry fee19100
roadbook holder3800
radio1000
handlebar switches2500
One RNS/ICO5000
tyres&tubes5000
fuel3360
assistance vehicle entry fee5400
Oil service1000

To this, we still need to add the cost of the Sentinel and GPS brackets. So call it R50k. I'm a poor Kaapie... that's a lot of dosh for me. In fact, it's more than my bike's worth! I realise that there was big-bucks at the last Amageza. Plenty fully-kitted KTMs. But this is a barrier-of-entry that's not really noob-friendly.

And this excludes any prep you need to make to your bike (long range tanks are pricey, rally towers and things are too; I'd need to bolt to handlebars for now) or fuel for your support vehicle. 'Course, you could try'n use bicycle computers and a DIY roadbook holder, and that could save you about R10k. But I doubt most newbies would get away with much less than R50k. Peanuts for the average European in the Dakar, but this is money-from-the-bond for me.

Alexander, there was talk at one time to have a class for guys with ADV bikes, who would use normal GPS units for nav. Is this still on the cards? If so, would they be allowed to use fuel cans/bladders?

Must say i did smile on reading this. You wanna talk absurd cost =  start cycling stage races

Let me give you a breakdown on a few races and then reconsider as at R19100 sounds like a bargain.

Sani2c Entry R11 800 - Three day event
Petrol R3500
Maintenance R2500
Supplements - R1500
Not going to add bike and kit cost but nice MTB looking at 35K +
So that is about R19300 for the weekend

Cape Epic
Entry - R53700 - For the week per team so lets work on R26850
Bike everything needs to be relatively new if you dont have new bike - R10 000 +-
Prep training and supplements - R20 000 +-

You looking without kit and bike cost and all the things that i dont even want to get into at about R56 000

So i agree that amageza is not cheap but vs cycling industry you will struggle to find a stage race entry fee under 10k lately.

And that's to f%cking ride around on peddle bike.

Offline Minxy

« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2015, 05:25:29 pm »
Some of my notes from the Amageza meeting at RAD.
If I got anything horribly wrong please feel free to correct me :thumleft:

-There is still much discussion regarding the car class. If it's still going to happen the idea seems to be to only allow about 20 cars max. Will have to see how this works out.
-There will be 7 race days with a total of around 4000kms.
-The 7 stages may or may not be clockwise / counter clockwise along the planned route.
-On the 28th of August there will be scruitineering and also rider presentation, to properly introduce all the participants.
-In no particular order... The stages will consist of riding in all kinds of cool places like the Kalahari, saltpans (Botswana), sandy roads near Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, possibly some riding in the Caprivi strip, over dunes (Namibia), coastline down into the Cape.
- Special stages will be longer and harder.
- There may be a Marathon stage like in the Dakar, where you are without your support crew.
- Bivouac will be setup close to major towns.
-There will be pre-clearance of customs when crossing borders to speed up the process. Listing all your equipment etc to show to border officials will make crossing the border easier. Make sure passports / required visas etc are up to scratch!
- An opening vehicle will do the route first, to make sure there are no locked gates or other nasty surprises that can cause problems. There will be a vehicle sweeping at the end of the day as well.
- Support crew will be given a GPS track to follow to their next destination. Meals etc included as part of their support package.
- There may be a tyre service crew to help with installation of mouses etc.
- Malle Moto riders are allowed their trunk and two sets of tyres.
- There will be strict rules for Malle Moto riders regarding working on their bikes. No outside help allowed, unless it's from other Malle Moto riders.

- In addition to water being carried on you, you must have water that is fixed to the bike. A simple example is to use a tool tube with a 2L bladder inside that's attached to the bike.
- Tool belts / bags that strap onto your body are not allowed. Tools and other heavy equipment must be strapped / attached to the bike.
- You should carry enough fuel to cover 250km + 25% in case you get lost. Fuel must be in a tank, part of your bike, you can't use rotor packs to mount fuel onto your bike etc.
- Book your mouses early!
- Riders must wear a neckbrace.
- The font used in the roadbook will be improved so that it's clearer and easier to read.

-Regarding MSA Licenses, a single event license won't do anymore. A annual club license is required, preferably with cover to the value of R500,000.

- ERTF system.
- First of all, this is very dependent on what the Euro price does. If our currency is too weak it won't be a viable option. If everything goes to plan we'll be using this device. ( If it doesn't work out, plan B is to supply all the riders with a ETRAX10 GPS).
- The ERTF sounds really cool though! Works a lot like a gps regarding your location etc, you can use a code to unlock the next waypoint if you get seriously lost. Using this more than the allowed amount of times will get you disqualified though.
- It gives a warning if you fall / come to sudden stand still so people behind you can be aware.
- Gives a warning signal when somebody wants to overtake you.
- Will require a mounting bracket, so make sure you have some space on your bike. Additional info to size etc can be found on the ertf.com website.
- A deposit will be required.
- More info coming in the next 6 weeks.

Bonus picture of me grinning like an idiot, together with Amageza organizers Wayne and Alexander :D

Ride Reports:

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2015, 06:44:44 pm »
Excellent Minxy, that sums up the current picture very well.

I think Amageza plan to supply the Malle Moto riders' trommels. And, indeed, their supervision as well as general bivvy management will be much stricter.

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2015, 07:27:29 pm »

Dankie Minxy !

Offline Mooch

« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2015, 07:44:05 am »
Cool. Thanks for the Info..  :thumleft:
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline ktmpilot

• Pack Dog
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2015, 10:19:02 am »
Thanks very much, Minxsy, much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTM Aera Comp 29er