Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2015 Amageza Rallye - Buildup Thread  (Read 76217 times)

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
Re: 2015 Amageza Rallye
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2015, 11:38:11 am »
Thanks Minxy  :biggrin:
Can anyone confirm the size of the water tank required? last I heard was 2L?
I'm getting a bashplate made and need to make sure before I get an incorrect size water compartment made.
My bike has very little space on the rear for anything so a tool tube back there is not likely to work.
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2015, 12:19:50 pm »
I would like to know more about the tracker setup. need to make provision for it in the bike. Don't want to find out later (to late) there is no where to mount it on my bike.
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2015, 12:42:53 pm »
I'm getting a bashplate made and need to make sure before I get an incorrect size water compartment made.
My bike has very little space on the rear for anything so a tool tube back there is not likely to work.

All mention has been of 2l - I think Dakar is 3, but as far as I know that's never been mentioned WRT Amageza.

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2015, 12:44:53 pm »

It surely will be in the Regulation of 2015, I haven't seen it yet.
 Say you need 1.5 liter water (1.5 kg) on the bike in a sturdy tank (say 1.5 to 2 kg) you look at say 3 to 3.5 kg if you are lucky ?
 The water tank then should be mounted as low as can be plus crash surviving plus filler/draining cap/tap positioning plus heat
 insulation, etc., it becomes a tricky design.
 But, I'd rather carry that weight of the water and tools plus some spares on the bike than on my back, its safer to.
 . . . and less energy draining while riding and when walking has to be done, and you will walk some time during the race.  

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2015, 02:34:37 pm »
To the best of my knowledge it is 2l that must be attached (not cable-tied or bungied!) to the bike. Alexander has said that this will be checked at scrutineering.

A 2l tank is all very well. But you must be able to access that water. Bear this in mind - it could save your life out there.

The Dakar has millions of helping, generous fans lining the route. Even in the most remote parts of the course you are not that very far from help. There are helicopters, orga and support vehicles swarming over the countryside, and still competitors die of dehydration related causes. In Amageza 2015 there will be some properly remote stages so I urge you not to gyppo the water thing.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2015, 02:51:58 pm »
I was wrong.  Here it is - under 5.1. GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR ALL VEHICLES & COMPETITORS in the provisional SRs.

"k. Every competitor shall carry a minimum of 3.0 litre of drinking fluid per person, 2.0 litres of which shall be carried in a 'camel­bak' type holder on his body. It is recommended that
the additional 1.0 litre be carried in a water container fixed to the vehicle, but it may be carried on his body (eg in the “camel­bak”) provided it is in a separate bladder."

Personally, I don't think 3l is enough for most riders. I also think we should get clarity from Alexander whether paragraph k. will stay unchanged.

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2015, 04:07:37 pm »
I was wrong.  Here it is - under 5.1. GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR ALL VEHICLES & COMPETITORS in the provisional SRs.

"k. Every competitor shall carry a minimum of 3.0 litre of drinking fluid per person, 2.0 litres of which shall be carried in a 'camel­bak' type holder on his body. It is recommended that
the additional 1.0 litre be carried in a water container fixed to the vehicle, but it may be carried on his body (eg in the “camel­bak”) provided it is in a separate bladder."

Personally, I don't think 3l is enough for most riders. I also think we should get clarity from Alexander whether paragraph k. will stay unchanged.

Thanks John....
I'll wait to hear from the big boss if that still stands this year...
Water - to some degree- depends on your riding skills and how much energy you use to blast a stage.... Anyone can survive on 3 L if you doing hardly anything..... but if you gonna sukkel through sand, pick up your bike 30 times and generally exert yourself..... well then you will run out very fast.
On a 140km day of hard enduro - I finish 3 L easily
On a whole stage of Amageza I have yet to run out.
BUT that is excluding falling and breaking the bladder ;)
My plan is to make the container on the bike as a back up.....either way. But if the rules are gonna change - i'll make it the right size from word go  ;D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:55:36 am by bonova »
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2015, 04:18:57 pm »
I was wrong.  Here it is - under 5.1. GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR ALL VEHICLES & COMPETITORS in the provisional SRs.

That is the water requirement from last year - note the word 'recommended'.

I received an e-mail this year stating 2l and it MUST be fixed to your bike. I deleted the e-mail but this is one reason I canned this years Amageza, I can't be arsed to 'build' a 2L container ..................... 

As always, contact Alex. 
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:02 pm »

and , on route marshals should have plenty of drinking water with them (Alex ? please put that on your to do list ) ask them and "always" fill up your  camelpack at SPs and DSPs. Dehydration kills. Hydration and rehydration should be done to your own bodies needs through a plan that is to your bodies own requirements to various body loadings. That plan should be worked out, tried and tested before Amageza is attempted.
We know what happened at Dakar 2015.

Offline Bazinga

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Nat-Su-Kow
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:53 pm »
I was at RAD last Friday when Alex was there

You need to have I think 2L fixed to the bike but a tooltube with a bladder in will be accepted as I understood it

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2015, 12:49:30 pm »
I'm keeping mine in my stomach, tool tubes are for KLRs and BMWs (not always you get to say that in the same sentence).

Offline Kevin_ZA

« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2015, 02:11:01 pm »
Entered !!! (My birthday present to myself)
Everyone knows the saying " a day without wine is like a day without sunshine"  Truely applicable but as important - a day without my bike is like a day without sunshine !!!

Offline Minxy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • óÔÔò >^.^< óÔÔò
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2015, 03:21:10 pm »

Awesome Kevin!!! :ricky:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:21:37 pm by Minxy »
*              ★·.·´¯`·.·★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★·.·´¯`·.·★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2015, 03:31:37 pm »

Lekker !

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2015, 03:49:47 pm »

Excellent!

Offline BV

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2015, 04:43:04 pm »

All mention has been of 2l - I think Dakar is 3, but as far as I know that's never been mentioned WRT Amageza.

Confirmation from Alex.
 3 liter fixed to bike.
2 liter camelback
5l in total.

Ktm 250 2t ktm3002t Husqvarna 300 TPI
ktm 450 RR Husqvarna 701
KTM 950 x2

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2015, 07:53:34 pm »
Guys,

I apologize for the fact that there is uncertainty surrounding some safety equipment.

Water: FIM says 3 liters fixed to bike. Question is, what is out there? Where can we get said water holder? Some of the water tanks I saw at Dakar will require the rider to turn the bike upside-down to get the water out? I was going WTF?

But, this area is HOT. (BTW In Namibia this evening, Windhoek to be exact) So give me till next week Friday please. We're back on Friday evening late. Will make some calls and see what we can source locally regarding the water issue. I think that if we can settle on 2 liters fixed and 3 on back, we could keep FIM happy. Whatever I find will be sent via the shop newsletter function.

Now enter you draadsitters. We need the money to recce!  ;D

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2015, 08:14:09 pm »
I guess one could always use the camelbak's hose as a "straw" to drink from the mounted container in an emergency situation. Most of the available integrated water tanks that I have seen will have the cap at the top.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »
 Hmmm - there were Dakar Honda bikes with the water in their rear swing arms! I think they conveniently drained it after scrutineering  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2015, 08:37:15 pm »
Hmmm - there were Dakar Honda bikes with the water in their rear swing arms! I think they conveniently drained it after scrutineering  ::)
Yip, so, a lot of unsprung mass "instantly" removed from the swing arm.