Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2015 Amageza Rallye - Buildup Thread  (Read 74834 times)

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
Re: 2015 Amageza Rallye
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:28 am »
Awesome, awesome videos!!! Really enjoyed that  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Cheers, more to come

Jan, that 2nd vid made me laugh. You got a small bite of me shaking my head at that 'little' dune under the water dam.

I remember that now, like it was this morning - I wasn't shaking my head coz of the difficulty, i was shaking it to warn you to stay away from me!!!!

I was ready to murder somebody for all the shit I'd been through that day and you were getting way too close with that camera - luckily you didn't record the filth coming out my mouth ..............................  I hope  :thumleft:
hahaha!

Yea your body language said to stay away ;)
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: 2015 Amageza Rallye: Entries Open
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 09:52:32 am »
. . .and road tax for Bot and Nam, TIPs (Temporary Import Permit), registered road legal vehicle, proof of ownership/letter of usage by bank, etc, all to be paid in cash. Rider/driver license, visas for whom it applies.
Take a writing pen with to complete the paper work.
This above is required for normal border crossings.( as per 2014 crossings)
It will be a good idea if Amageza organizers does all this through a "border agent" for everybody involved.
It could be that in some cases, visas should be applied for, before the event.
I trust all these issues will be addressed by the Amageza organizers at a later stage.
Yippy! here we go !

yes above will have to be fast tracked, riders and support cannot spend hours queuing. How does it work at the Dakar with border crossings?

Not to be negative, but I am concerned about riding with the cars. How will the logistics work? refer 2 days ago when Sainz crashed into a rider, Dakar stage 2, rider now in hospital...
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2015, 11:24:08 am »

Alex (+team) is a "observer/s" at the DAKAR.
 I'm sure, as I know, observed and experience at Amageza 014, a lot of issues towards Amageza 015
 will be addressed from what is learned from their "visit" there and applied/adopted/tailored for future
  rally raid type races in southern Africa.
 Good luck with you mission Alex.

Offline Minxy

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2015, 12:14:14 pm »
. . .and road tax for Bot and Nam, TIPs (Temporary Import Permit), registered road legal vehicle, proof of ownership/letter of usage by bank, etc, all to be paid in cash. Rider/driver license, visas for whom it applies.
Take a writing pen with to complete the paper work.
This above is required for normal border crossings.( as per 2014 crossings)
It will be a good idea if Amageza organizers does all this through a "border agent" for everybody involved.
It could be that in some cases, visas should be applied for, before the event.
I trust all these issues will be addressed by the Amageza organizers at a later stage.
Yippy! here we go !

yes above will have to be fast tracked, riders and support cannot spend hours queuing. How does it work at the Dakar with border crossings?

Not to be negative, but I am concerned about riding with the cars. How will the logistics work? refer 2 days ago when Sainz crashed into a rider, Dakar stage 2, rider now in hospital...

I'm also concerned about the cars. Either the bikes or the cars will have to start much earlier / later. It's really scary to even think you could get plowed down by a car moving at racing speed :(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:50:55 pm by Minxy »
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 03:18:13 pm »

Minxy, a warning for passing device is fitted on all race vehicles for the Dakar.
There is a abbreviation/name for this device.
Can somebody fill me in what it is called.
It could be made a requirement to fit such a ? warning item for Amageza 015.
It works on a radio sender-receiver, ect. warning light and audio/noise, satellite recording time/location option when activated when eg. pressing the hooter/honker on your flying G450X, the vehicle you want to pass, receives the warning, it should make way for you to pass.
In a racing situation, I heard, that if one is not watching ones rear and the warning light and the busser/alarm goes off , dan is dit groot skrik.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 03:21:50 pm »
Sentinel.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 03:26:15 pm »
 There you have it Minxy.
Thanks BIG Dom

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2015, 03:27:10 pm »
Sentinel = is a safety system fitted to all Dakar racing vehicles. It enables to warn the competitors on the following cases:
The vehicle behind wants to overtake: when the driver of a car or truck presses on the push-button control, a signal is transmitted to the competing bike/quad/car/truck that he wants to overtake (range: 150 meters). The driver about to be overtaken receives an audible warning.
Accident warning alarm: if a vehicle represents a danger to competitors arriving on the sport (concealed behind a dune, rollover after turn), the pilot must press the two alarm buttons on his Sentinel. Then coming competitors are thus informed by an Audible Buzzer plus a Flashing Light.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline JAmBer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 04:39:28 pm »
I think it's wonderful that the Amageza is becoming so professional, but I worry that it's going to start excluding people (like me!).

A rough, quick budget, assuming you've already got a suitable bike platform, and qualify for some discounts:

entry fee19100
roadbook holder3800
radio1000
handlebar switches2500
One RNS/ICO5000
tyres&tubes5000
fuel3360
assistance vehicle entry fee5400
Oil service1000

To this, we still need to add the cost of the Sentinel and GPS brackets. So call it R50k. I'm a poor Kaapie... that's a lot of dosh for me. In fact, it's more than my bike's worth! I realise that there was big-bucks at the last Amageza. Plenty fully-kitted KTMs. But this is a barrier-of-entry that's not really noob-friendly.

And this excludes any prep you need to make to your bike (long range tanks are pricey, rally towers and things are too; I'd need to bolt to handlebars for now) or fuel for your support vehicle. 'Course, you could try'n use bicycle computers and a DIY roadbook holder, and that could save you about R10k. But I doubt most newbies would get away with much less than R50k. Peanuts for the average European in the Dakar, but this is money-from-the-bond for me.

Alexander, there was talk at one time to have a class for guys with ADV bikes, who would use normal GPS units for nav. Is this still on the cards? If so, would they be allowed to use fuel cans/bladders?

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2015, 05:06:14 pm »
I agree it is expensive - mostly because it is very expensive to organise and put everything together

BUT

I can also guarantee you that it is the cheapest pukka proper rally in the world

A lot of the expenses you list are one offs that can be used again - so the more you use it the cheaper it becomes
The older I get the faster I was

Offline charliepappa

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Life's a ride!
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2015, 05:07:47 pm »
Sub  :sip:
R1100S Sport, R1200GS Adventure, R1100S Boxer Cup, F650GS, KTM 950 SE, R1200GS LC, Africa Twin DCT

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2015, 05:56:22 pm »
I have been involved in racing for upwards of 30 years,, take that 59k estimate and double it!
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline JAmBer

• Race Dog
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 06:06:10 pm »
I have been involved in racing for upwards of 30 years,, take that 59k estimate and double it!
Eish... this seems too rich for my blood. Gonna have to see how much I can squeeze the budget.

Offline JAmBer

• Race Dog
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 06:19:06 pm »
I agree it is expensive - mostly because it is very expensive to organise and put everything together
BUT
I can also guarantee you that it is the cheapest pukka proper rally in the world

Ja, I understand the expensive nature of it and believe that it is still very cheap compared to other similar events. But it seems to be growing increasingly more expensive. There were murmurs last year about the costs already. Adding all these extras like professional electronic tracking makes it more expensive. Next we'll have 5 helicopters with full-time camera crew, two bivouac teams etc?

Eish, is there no more interest in the formats of the previous Amagezas? Those weren't pukka enough?

A lot of the expenses you list are one offs that can be used again - so the more you use it the cheaper it becomes

I hear you, but I'm not sure this is necessarily true. Looking at that list, entrance fees, tyres and fuel are big ticket items that are not reusable. The reusable roadbook and electronics represent only maybe 20% of the initial cost. The other 80% is running expense. Even if I had a fully-prepped bike, it would still cost me at least R40k.

Anyway, I feel this discussion turning sour. It's not my intention to come across as negative. I'm really really eager to participate in one of these events.  :ricky: 

This is an appeal to the organisers :hello: to not forget about us poor amateurs, and not go balls-to-the-wall. Or is the intention to turn the Amageza into a copy: "South African Dakar Rally".

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 06:26:54 pm »
if you are not starting out from scratcha nd you are handy then 60k seems doable
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 06:29:16 pm »
I think it's wonderful that the Amageza is becoming so professional, but I worry that it's going to start excluding people (like me!).

A rough, quick budget, assuming you've already got a suitable bike platform, and qualify for some discounts:

entry fee19100
 Yes
roadbook holder3800
Can be as little as R40
radio1000
Yes
handlebar switches2500
No
One RNS/ICO5000
Possibly, there's much lower tech avail
tyres&tubes5000
No way required. I've done 2 using only a new front and rear each time.  Surely you have tubes?
fuel3360
About that
assistance vehicle entry fee5400
Why? Unless you are 2 that can share
Oil service1000
Nuts

Don't try to talk yourself out of it, talk yourself into it.  Have you seen the route? Spergebied in Nam on a bike! I've decided not to get a shoulder op so that I can ride again this year.  Spergebied!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:32:38 pm by Bill the Bong »

Online Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:41 pm »
I was looking forward to the next Amageza instalment but I'm not gonna do it - I can't justify MY OWN extra costs for 2 more days. It's a pity because I enjoyed it last year as a beginner.

I understand Alex and co want to build a big rally with all the bells and whistles - and good luck to them - but that's not what I'm after.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2015, 06:41:23 pm »
if you are not starting out from scratcha nd you are handy then 60k seems doable
It cost's me 10k to do a national and thats with sponsors paying a lot of the bills
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Scrat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2015, 07:19:58 pm »
 :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Lekkkerrrrrrr!!!

Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline darthvader

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2015, 08:43:20 pm »
Wont make it this year though, but will follow closely!

shizer! That means I will have the ugliest bike in the Amageza 2015!