Sandcamp - Tableview

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodgyloss

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
This one time, at sand camp... I ate shit and there was nobody there to film it :)

Do you suck at sand? Do you pucker up, grab a fist full of font, do the snakey snakey and eat your recommended daily allowance of minerals in one single, spectacular bite?

Yah, me too, but I'm trying to fix that.

Just behind Parklands/ Sunningdale is a great area to get solid time in riding (or eating) various types of low traction surfaces, featuring:

Large flat semi-packed areas - perfect for going around in circles like a lunatic and getting used to your back wheel hanging out.

Huge hay/straw-strewn sand fields - Great for getting used to "the front's gonna hunt" as well as some nice soft construction vehicle ruts that feel like you've face planted into a marshmallow (I spend a lot of time lying in them looking at the sky)

Some nice broad hard packed straights with 'sandpits' in the middle, ideal for adding 5km/h with every pass and testing the theory that the faster you go the more stable you are.

The occasional little hill climb if you've not fallen enough already.

And finally kilometre after kilometre of beach sand tweespoor that'll have you paddling like a 3 year old on a plastic pushbike. Those were the days.

Seriously though, it's good fun and I get a little bit more comfortable and a little bit faster every time I go.

If you're the kind of person that reckons the best way to get good at something is to be bad at it for long enough, have a sense of humour about falling and want to learn sand riding without the threat of going under a 4x4 or getting in the way of guys who've being doing it their whole lives, add your name.

I'm out there at least once a week and could use a hand picking my bike up :)

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.7969352,18.5259242,1419m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en