Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 Sidecar  (Read 565 times)

Offline Morokai

DR650 Sidecar
« on: January 13, 2015, 09:35:46 pm »
What would the DR fans say about a 650 with a sidecar attached specifically for long distance offroad travelling?
Fear is temporary, Regret is forever.

DR650SE, DRZ400E, KTM300 XCW

Offline madmax

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
Re: DR650 Sidecar
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:27:32 am »
would it be a bit underpowered ? or not
fornicate the proletariat

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:46:14 am »
Definitely not... unless you want to win some Sidecar Championship...

I think it's a fantastic idea. I have been considering making a chair for my F650GS. Here is an idea (not the picture I had in my mind, or on my home PC) and you can see that the front wheel has been pushed forward, to reduce the trail, and hence the castor effect.

Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Woestynhond

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:03:01 am »
The Ausies build a rig that is multi purpose, basically a platform that can accomodate a box , chair or whatever ...
the biggest issue on the DR is finding a front upper mount that does not break can be solved by welding a bracket to frame and re inforcing it.
A lightweight rig with aluminum floorpan weighing 40 odd kg will not bother the DR!
Been looking at building one for my Great dane ...
No leading link suspension needed if sidecar is set up correctly but  will increse tire wear though...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:07:45 am by Woestynhond »
and she said " What are you doin today ? ".
and I said " Nothing ".
and she said " But you did that yesterday ".
and I said "I haven`t finished yet ".

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:51:19 pm »
What would the DR fans say about a 650 with a sidecar attached specifically for long distance offroad travelling?
:sip:
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Morokai

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 02:15:50 pm »
would it be a bit underpowered ? or not
I kind of agree with you madmax. if the rig can be kept light in weight, it would not bother a lot, but to pack for long trips is another issue.

The Ausies build a rig that is multi purpose, basically a platform that can accomodate a box , chair or whatever ...
the biggest issue on the DR is finding a front upper mount that does not break can be solved by welding a bracket to frame and re inforcing it.
A lightweight rig with aluminum floorpan weighing 40 odd kg will not bother the DR!
Been looking at building one for my Great dane ...
No leading link suspension needed if sidecar is set up correctly but  will increse tire wear though...

Ek stem saam met jou Woestynhond. Het op ADV forum gelles van iemand wat se oil cooler attachment bolt paar keer afgebreek het, hy het na dit toe n bracket gemaak vir daardie attachment point. Baie klyn spasie om in te werk.
Asook stress op die enjin gan baie meer wees.

So as mens alles opweeg. Ver travel met n rig wat nogals gelaai is, sal n 800 beter opsie wees, n 800 wat net so reliable en maklik fix soos n DR. ??????  ???

Maar die DR lyk lekker met n rig
(paar fotos op die interweb geleen)
Fear is temporary, Regret is forever.

DR650SE, DRZ400E, KTM300 XCW