Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Vanrhyns Pass - must be heaven on a big bike!  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Trygve Roberts

Vanrhyns Pass - must be heaven on a big bike!
« on: January 15, 2015, 12:13:01 pm »
Hi there guys and girls. Glad you made it through the silly season!

Today in our news feed we visit the beautiful Vanrhyns Pass in the Northern Cape. With its great views, smooth surface and well engineered corners, this must be heaven to ride on a big bike.

We produced a 2 part video series on the pass plus we dig into the local history and discover some interesting facts on the area known as the Knersvlakte. Enjoy! And let us know who has ridden this one.

http://bit.ly/1xsgz4H

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: Vanrhyns Pass - must be heaven on a big bike!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:55 pm »
It is indeed a fun pass to ride, with the normal care to be taken w.r.t. other traffic of course.

Have ridden it a few times.

Love your work on this  :thumleft:

Offline Trygve Roberts

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »
Thanks Garfield.
We noticed a lot of heavy trucks on the pass - we filmed the ascent late on a Saturday and did the descent the next morning when the light was right. Apparently the truckers like this route to Namibia from the east as it cuts off a big detour through the W/Cape. There were more trucks than cars in the total traffic count on both days.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:35:01 pm »
Thanks Garfield.
We noticed a lot of heavy trucks on the pass - we filmed the ascent late on a Saturday and did the descent the next morning when the light was right. Apparently the truckers like this route to Namibia from the east as it cuts off a big detour through the W/Cape. There were more trucks than cars in the total traffic count on both days.
No way trucks en route to Nam would take that route. Too much of a detour but all the trucks on that pass goes to Upington and the rest
of the NC.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Ouman

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 02:19:22 pm »
You will also find that those trucks are probably from not more than about 2 operators. McDonald's Transport in Upington and then there is someone carrying stuff that's being mined near Brandvlei on the Granaatboskolk road. Will definitely be a no-no to guys running from Cape Town to Nam! Unless they need to skip the weighbridge at Springbok and avoid the border post at Noordoewer. Then Nakop via Upington id the only other option. But, I cant see that happening! A moerse detour!
The more bugs in the  teeth....the happier I get!!!!!

Offline Trygve Roberts

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:32:38 pm »
Trucking routing is definitely not my area of expertise. i was puzzled why so many big trucks were using the pass. Thanks to the knowledge pool on this forum, I am now better informed.

Offline Hingsding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:58:00 pm »
Trucking routing is definitely not my area of expertise. i was puzzled why so many big trucks were using the pass. Thanks to the knowledge pool on this forum, I am now better informed.

Hkaai Pre. The reason for the trucks was due to the grape season in Upington. The closest port is Cape Town.

I train for the Argus on that pass. Downwards it takes me 6 minutes and upwards 36! Reached 96km/h on the way down.
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 06:52:29 pm »

Hkaai Pre. The reason for the trucks was due to the grape season in Upington. The closest port is Cape Town.

I train for the Argus on that pass. Downwards it takes me 6 minutes and upwards 36! Reached 96km/h on the way down.
They say in picking season a cooltruck comes down that pass every 13 minutes.
One of the scariest passes in SA with a loaded truck up or down.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline tgg

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 08:31:20 pm »
ook nie altyd pret met enige ander voertuig as daar n diesel spill is nie, gelukkig is daai barriers redelik ok