Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Locally developed Rally Navigation Eq.  (Read 14396 times)

Offline darthvader

Re: Locally developed Rally Navigation Eq.
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2015, 06:56:16 am »
Do you have field testers?

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2015, 07:10:16 am »
@Max. The red button is a temp 3rd button to test the (individual) functions of all 3 buttons on the handlebar remote.

In real life the two orange buttons on the unit actually simulate all 3 on the handlebar.  Pressing both on the unit is the same as pressing the 3rd on the handlebar. This is also for redundancy if the handlebar unit fail.

@Darth no testers yet.  We have not made a decision on how to 'sell' that.  Maybe we must get those interested together and discuss options. (we can not give more discount as then we will run a 'pay to use' buisness that normally does not last long. >:D

Anyone interested can contact me directly. 

We are in Joostenberg on a plot.  (I walk with the unit and the GPS here in the yard to check low speed accuracy due to 'satellite oscillation' and the 3 meter accuracy issue.)

Enjoy
Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline noble steed

« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2015, 09:09:18 am »
If it gets Amageza approval I'll be interested in ordering one. I'll be following to see what they say.
The unit is looking good

Offline Gee S

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2015, 09:30:39 am »
I am also very interested :thumleft: Just getting a little worried about time limits if something goes wrong and we have to import in the nick of time?
All that wander are not lost

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2015, 10:02:59 pm »
 :sip:
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2015, 07:51:47 am »
Morning,
I am also interested in purchasing but would need to approval from Amageza pretty soon in order to ensure that should it be declined we have time to import.
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2015, 11:08:37 am »
Ok,  small update.

The software update is complete.  Will do the final housing design and molding over the weekend to test the 'hardware'.

The 'shakeout jig' will be built next week for vibration and fatigue testing.  We will probably receive the additional GPS areal's in 2 weeks time.

Sooo, when the powers that be  (Amageza management  :) ) are back from their recce trip they can evaluate the unit.  If we get the OK the units will be available immediately.

Also note. As we get feedback on the use and operation of the system we will be able to do a 'firmware update' to address any software issues.  This will ensure the system is the most cost effective and user friendly legal navigation aid.  (this also 'protect' our investment if there are any illegal software features that can be addressed. (the system display a version number during boot up for scrutineering) I do not think the hardware can be illegal as it is just buttons, display, wheel pickup and GPS.  The legality is in how these are applied to allow cheating.

*** Snip from one of my earlier notes. ***
Ons voorsien nie probleme met goedkeuring want die ontwerp kriteria is eintlik op die Dakar en ander groot rallies gemik, (Ons het redelik navorsing gedoen oor wat mag en wat mag nie.) maar mens weet nooit wat ek gemis het nie.  ;)
*** End ***

In the end I can not guarantee the approval but hopefully the Rand dollar will not change much over the next few week if approval fail. BUT if the units pass you can get two for the price of (less than) one.

hold thumbs.
Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2015, 11:59:59 am »
Lekker Adie!  :thumleft:

Is the connector socket compatible with the RNS or ICO thumb switches?

Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2015, 12:07:51 pm »

We are currently trying to source the same (compatible) plug/socket.  If we can find a supplier we will DEFINITELY go that route. 

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Scooterbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2015, 12:41:48 pm »

We are currently trying to source the same (compatible) plug/socket.  If we can find a supplier we will DEFINITELY go that route. 

Adie
that will be ideal!
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2015, 09:28:57 pm »

Ok, I got the plugs and sockets. According to the spec it is a 'standard M8 type'.
They will arrive in 2 weeks, just in time to fit on the first 'customer test units'.

Aahhh, working weekend ahead (again)!! but hope to show final product Tuesday.  :ricky:

Adie

P.S. we will start with the mounting towers etc this week as well.  Want them to go uot for evaluation with the Trip/CAP units.  Last thing I am looking for is the Roadbook gear motor.  Help please !!

Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline tulips

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Peugeot (all models)
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2015, 01:27:30 pm »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:28:27 pm by tulips »
Very funny Mr Geller can i please get my bike back

Offline JAmBer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2015, 05:54:21 am »
Deal Extreme has a whole selection of geared motors in many different speeds.

http://www.dx.com/p/high-torque-60rpm-12v-dc-geared-motor-91625#.VTsQRGZ16fg

Try Alibaba/Aliexpress for buying in bulk.

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2015, 08:57:48 am »
Update:

The Switch Pod went through the design and prototype stage yesterday.

Design criteria. Full IP67, adjustable, ergonomically friendly, small(ish) and robust.  The unit will have provision for attaching a secondary switch cluster on top. (Indicators etc etc.) 

We did the tests in both sitting and standing position and with two hand sizes to ensure a proper fit for most hands. (Long thumb and short thumb  8) )

Just to start we drew a 3 button 'Lid' and made a 3D sample.  This was WAAII too big and not practical.  Mike then came with the brilliant idea to do the first phase prototyping with urethane foam. What a pleasure.  We could get a sample with switches etc mounted out in 10 minutes.  We then settled on a design that was close to the design criteria.  CAD, 3D and test.

Pic A) did not meet ergonomic criteria.  My thumb was cramping after about 10 roadbook pulses. BUT then after tilting the whole unit 35 degrees Pic B) it was getting close to the natural arc of opening the thumb.  We also made sure the unit is at least 8mm away from the grip flange and the 'thumb to hand' joint.  It can get very sore if that 'knuckle' press against something solid to prevent the grip flange to deflect.

Back to the CAD and the result was amazing. The roadbook fwd/rev button is directly in the natural way of the thumb and the 'main button' (most used) just a few degrees further in the same path. Pic D)  The other two buttons are still in easy reach.  The side view pic show how the buttons follow the arc of the thumb.

What is next?
We will do a few small changes to improve fitting etc before the mould will be made for the first test units.  (We hope to be plug compatible with the major units out there.)

Lastly for the purists or those that do not like change  >:D , we will also offer a 'lever' type switch for the roadbook like the F2R etc.

Availability: Three weeks from today as we will only receive the cables in two weeks time.
Cost as a replacement unit: TBC

enjoy
Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2015, 06:39:29 pm »
Really impressive.
Live like someone left the gate open.

« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2015, 11:46:37 pm »
Update: 28/04/2015

1. The first Switch-Pods were cast today.  Not the quality we are looking for but at least we now have two units.  Will receive the cables around May 12th.  By then everything will be ready for user testing. (Ohh, the little white 'tube' is a 'spanner' we made to assemble the switches.  >:D )

2. The final design of the Trip-Cap unit was done (started) as well.  We will do a complete 3D printed prototype to see if everything can be fitted in the small space available.  We also made the user interface simpler but kept (even improved) the functionality and usability.

Auto dimming of the LED indicators, Battery level indicator, auto LCD backlight, auto GPS shutoff if 12V power fall away, auto 'sleep mode' after user set-able time, auto 'wake-up' if 12V restored. All trip settings saved in non volatile memory if battery low.  User can 'wake-up' the unit at any time even if no 12V to get trip stats or change configuration.

We want to do the 'vibration tests' this weekend.

Enjoy
Adie 

P.S. The roadbook also underwent a re-design.  It seems as if we can get a 'slip out' cartridge to load the paper during 'markup' without sacrificing durability.  (time will tell)
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline JAmBer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2015, 05:03:11 pm »
Looking great! Are those rocker switches waterproof, though?

« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2015, 06:59:06 pm »
**** EUREKA ***

We got approval from Amageza management to use our ROCKFOX Trip/Cap unit during the event.

Dankie aan almal wat bereid was 'om te dobbel' met die wag vir goedkeuring.  Beide spanne wat na die eenheid gekyk het was tevrede met die voor produksie model.

Ons sal ongelukkig nie verdere eenhede teen die prys op vorige pos the hou nie. Sal Maandag uwe pryse en verdere beskikbaarheid uitstuur.

Ons sal teen Woensdag 'n eenheid op 'n fiets ge-monteer het om te wys hoe gemaklik die 'Switch Pod' werk.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2015, 07:04:11 pm »
Very well done Adie and team at ROCKFOX

Team 525 is proud to be associated with you guys - lets ROCK on  :thumleft:
The older I get the faster I was

Offline noble steed

« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2015, 08:40:20 am »
Eagerly waiting for everything to come together!

Hope your supply can meet the demand  :thumleft: