Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR200 Owners a few questions  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
DR200 Owners a few questions
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:46:12 am »
Hi All

Ok im investigating the possibility of buying an DR200 (Unregistered) with 100km on the clock. The bike is spotless brandnew. I cant make out exactly what model it is tho ie SE or Trojan etc. It has the steel grid and round headlight but no luggage rack. My questions as follows

1: Happy cruising speed? Will it do 100kph and cruise happy at between 80 and 90?
2: Fuel consumption?
3:Genereal quality and reliabilty
4: Maintanance costs
5: Availabilty of luggage racks OEM or other?

I have a little Honda XR150 for commuting etc which is great and is cheap cheap to run but I have always liked the little DR and now found a great example. The asking price is 30k?
Pass this way once!

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DR200 Owners a few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 12:13:50 pm »
It will go over 100 unless you're fat :lol8: or go uphill or into a headwind. It will cruise happily at 80 - 90km7h again with above limitations.
It runs on something around 3l of juice for 100km.
General quality is IMHO excellent with only one exception which is the rather cheap swing arm pivot bearing. I have a fix and it's probably a good idea to modify this asap as it saves almost half the cost of the parts. As opposed to the TW and Bushlander the DR200SE / Djebel 200 or whatever they are called in the various markets are true DS bikes thinly disguised and sold as agri's. The Honda and TW are agri's and nothing else.
The front brake is crap (from a experienced rider) just like the TW's and Bushlanders counterparts but it works sufficiently especially with a little help from the good rear brake.
Maintenance cost is hideously low. Washable air filter, one spark plug, valve tappet adjusters, one litre of engine oil and some R50 for a generic oil filter. Tires last forever and are easily available (you can use a 3.00x21 on the front). Resist the temptation to fit fancy sintered racing front pads. The brake will be just as crappy but the pads will melt away within 3,000km.

I'd take the DR over the XR125 / XR150 any time. It's got the tiny little bit extra power which makes all the difference. Little difference in running cost & fuel consumption, the DR is considerably more expensive to buy. At R 30k for a basically brand new one I'd be very tempted. The DR crashes better and has a full size :D front wheel as well as H4 light. The XR's shines with its front brake which is excellent for a small bike.

Luggage rack DIY or get something welded up or find one for a Djebel 200 used or new.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Online chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 02:59:46 pm »
I have had 3 DR 200 SEs, and one DR 200 Djebel. ;)

Agree fully with LeCap. :biggrin:

On the the DR 200 SE (Farm bike, with standard luggage rack) the front sprocket is only a 12 tooth. Change it for a 15, unless you're happy to cruise at 70 km/h!

Do you have some pics that you can post? ???
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline johann c pretorius

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:31 pm »
I bought the Djebel from Chopperpilot. We went riding on Saturday on the 200 s. The family was laughing at us for taking the wifes bikes, but had huge fun. :thumleft:

Online chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »
I bought the Djebel from Chopperpilot. We went riding on Saturday on the 200 s. The family was laughing at us for taking the wifes bikes, but had huge fun. :thumleft:
Departing Nelspruit on the wifes' bikes, leaving the heavy metal (990R, DR 650, XR 600 and XR 400) at home.

We were to go test ride a XR 400 on a farm in the Low's Creek area.

Turned out to be 2 XR 400s on the farm. Pity they were in farm bike condition! Motors still strong though, and we had blast testing them on the farm!

We had fun on the 200s, and really enjoyed the beatiful Lowveld at a slow pace!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:54:42 pm »
hi guys,am looking at getting on for the girlfriend.are there any things that i should lookout for?cheers
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:47 am »
hi guys,am looking at getting on for the girlfriend.are there any things that i should lookout for?cheers

The one and only DR 200 specific thing I found to be a bit cheap and wear prone are the swing arm pivot bushes - cheap plastic stuff. They are wear prone and if the rear supension creaks you will have to replace them. I used to stock non OEM needle bearing conversions and can still supply on special order. Affects all models even the ancient kick start ones.

Besides that the front brake is not going to produce stoppies or induce enthusiasm in an experienced rider. It just is like that, if you have to do an emergency stop on tar remember to use both brakes. The rear drum works surprisingly well. The front disc brake is on par what you get in a KL650A, Bushlander or TW (yes just as pathetic :D ), adequate for less experienced riders and good enough on gravel.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline landieman

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 06:17:42 pm »
cool,am viewing the bike on saturday.will report back

Offline landieman

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 05:57:44 pm »
ok,cool.got the bike,rides lekka,having never ridden one.does 70 comfortably with my fat ass on it(will change front sprocket to a bigger one).one problem,the bike is struggling to start,could this be old fuel?will post pics

Online chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 07:30:40 pm »
Congrats. Remove the carb, strip and clean. Clean air filter too. What size is the front sprocket?

Offline landieman

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 05:41:59 pm »
12 tooth.is the choke shaft when 'in' supposed to not fully go in?

Online chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 08:20:49 pm »
Go to 15 front. Rear 47 or 48?

Turn the choke base (black plastic) out carefully, and clean and lube the brass part.

Have you removed, stripped and cleaned the carb yet?

Online chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 08:21:41 pm »
Has the bike been standing for a long time?

Offline landieman

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 08:28:41 pm »
stripping the carb in the morning,after being left stranded at work by her not starting.got home,removed the airfilter and the bike started right up,will give the airfilter a good wash.not to sure if the bike has been standing,might have.

Offline landieman

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 05:11:57 pm »
bike is now running like a dream,cleaned carb and set valve clearances to .10 mm,sorted.thanks for all the advise.

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 10:09:33 pm »
It will go over 100 unless you're fat :lol8: or go uphill or into a headwind. It will cruise happily at 80 - 90km7h again with above limitations.
It runs on something around 3l of juice for 100km.
General quality is IMHO excellent with only one exception which is the rather cheap swing arm pivot bearing. I have a fix and it's probably a good idea to modify this asap as it saves almost half the cost of the parts. As opposed to the TW and Bushlander the DR200SE / Djebel 200 or whatever they are called in the various markets are true DS bikes thinly disguised and sold as agri's. The Honda and TW are agri's and nothing else.
The front brake is crap (from a experienced rider) just like the TW's and Bushlanders counterparts but it works sufficiently especially with a little help from the good rear brake.
Maintenance cost is hideously low. Washable air filter, one spark plug, valve tappet adjusters, one litre of engine oil and some R50 for a generic oil filter. Tires last forever and are easily available (you can use a 3.00x21 on the front). Resist the temptation to fit fancy sintered racing front pads. The brake will be just as crappy but the pads will melt away within 3,000km.

I'd take the DR over the XR125 / XR150 any time. It's got the tiny little bit extra power which makes all the difference. Little difference in running cost & fuel consumption, the DR is considerably more expensive to buy. At R 30k for a basically brand new one I'd be very tempted. The DR crashes better and has a full size :D front wheel as well as H4 light. The XR's shines with its front brake which is excellent for a small bike.

Luggage rack DIY or get something welded up or find one for a Djebel 200 used or new.

From experience I can tell you that this is about as good and as honest a comment you will get from this model of bike  :thumleft:

Offline landieman

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 07:30:55 am »
the bike was standing for about 2 months,put new fuel in after cleaning the carb and doing valve clearance.but now the bike does a trip of about 110km,and the valve clearance needs to be done again ???took the valve cover off,and found that the intake valve stands higher than the exhaust valve,is this right?surely not

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 10:02:39 am »
Did both valves need adjusting?
Did the clearance increase or decrease?

How much "higher" does the valve stand? The tappet screws should protrude from the rockers and counter nuts by roughly equal amounts (not more difference than ~1mm). If there is more difference and the intake valve sits higher I would say some one has fiddled with the seats. If it looses clearance on the intake valve on top of that the chances are good that the intake valve is thrashed due to excessive wear or due to excessive machining.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:05:56 am by lecap »

Offline landieman

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »
the intake is about 5mm higher than the exhaust valve.when i removed both the adjusters,the inlet has almost no free movement,where the exhaust has.does this mean a new(secondhand head) or can i just get away with replacing the inlet valve?

Offline landieman

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 05:56:36 pm »
next question,does anyone have a head lying around?