Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Installing an Accelerator Module on a R1200GS LC  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
Installing an Accelerator Module on a R1200GS LC
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:00:36 am »
The first Accelerator Module on a South African BMW R1200GS LC was installed last week. There were doubts as to whether the AM would improve the LC as it is such a strong performer already.

Francois, a petrolhead of note who has 10 years experience of power commanders, free flow exhausts and performance filters on GSXRs bought his first 2011 BMW R1200GS Adv last year. He installed the AM on the 1200GSA and was happy then:
 "Ek het 'n Accelerator Module op my 2011 Adv gehad en het 'n redelike verksil gemaak." So he wanted to try out the Accelerator Module for the LC:  "Het jy 'n Am vir 'n 2013 BMW GS1200 LC?"

A new Accelerator Module - the AM4 was specifically developed to suit the LC.

After installing the feedback was as follows:

"Daar is wel 'n verskil. 4-5-6e gear, lae rpm as jy gas voel dit sterker. Die motor klink ook meer balanced".

Installation is easy. We thought that we had to remove the petrol tank top and side covers, but in the end only the small black cover above the right hand side cylinder head had to be removed to get access to the temperature sensor cable.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
Re: Installing an Accelerator Module on a R1200GS LC
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:15:05 am »
It was a matter of unplugging the cable and fitting the AM in line between the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor and the cable. Access is just under the side tank cover. Push the spring on the plug, pull and the IAT sensor cable dislodges. The brown yellow green grey black cables are those of the AM, already installed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:17:12 am by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:25:00 am »
The copper tip of the AM cable needs ambient temperature air to send a signal to the ECU that it is 20C cooler than it actually is. This reading tapers towards 0C. The AM's effect is that, in the acceleration loop only, the fuel/air mixture is enriched to offset the effect of strict EU regulations prescribing very lean mixtures, with all kinds of benefits.
We routed the cable to the left hand side of the bike, with the copper tip protruding under the saddle outside the frame. You can see the black cable with copper tip cable tied to the frame. This takes the copper tip away from the rhs exhaust temperature, giving a more accurate reading.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:29:17 am »
Francois is happy. The AM makes the bike more ride-able, the motor more balanced, with more low rpm power in 4th, 5th and 6th gear.

In the end we only had to refit the rhs black plastic lower tank side cover - removal of the top tank cover was not necessary in the first place☺
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:30:50 am by Jacobsroodt »

Offline Davew

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:39:01 pm »
Nice write up  :3some:

Other options for the sensor is on top of one of the intake snorkels (On my '13 LC I used the rhs) -  always ambient and fresh air there.
Some guys use behind the light cluster somehow.

The installation on the new GSA is a bit harder, as you need to get under/behind the fuel tank lobe, so really dexterous fingers or lifting the tank a fraction helps.

Cheers

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 09:10:33 am »
Thanks for the hints Davew. I will remember on the next installation. Have you installed an AM on your LC?

Offline Davew

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 10:31:58 am »
Thanks for the hints Davew. I will remember on the next installation. Have you installed an AM on your LC?
You're welcome
I put one one my '13 LC and it was great, see my impressions on your other thread on this topic.

I've not installed it on my new GSA yet, want to complete the run in service first. Probably not necessary, but waiting anyway.

Cheers

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 01:44:30 pm »
After 2 weeks Francois is happy with the AM on his LC. His feedback (verbatim):

4-5-6th gears: definite improvement at lower rpm. The AM made a big difference on older (R1200 Air Cooled) bikes the newer ones (LC) are more torquey. On rolling on from 2000 rpm there is now no delay or engine laboring. Previously it felt like the engine was struggling, hit a flat spot and had to pull through the flat spot. It felt like the engine was moaning, wanting more petrol and not getting it as ample fuelling was not provided. With the AM the motor pulls right through from 5250 rpm to the red line. (With the AM) the motor is now quieter, smoother, more happy. Because the LC is already so nippy and torquey one does not feel the effect in lower gears on the previous bikes (1200 Air Cooled motors) you could feel the effect of the AM immediately. Previously (on the LC), at 140km/h the motor would moan and struggle, now it pulls strong, right through. It feels like the bike is more sorted and happy. All models run lean. More fuel fixes a lot of issues. I would rather ride slightly richer than risking damage to the engine.

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 08:02:52 pm »
If Francois bike would moan and struggle at 140km/h and had flatspots then he is in for an engine failure which is not uncommon to the LC

Offline plaky

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:07 am »
How does this affect the BMW warranty?  How much does it cost without labour?

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 12:16:48 pm »
I have had one on two F800GSs, one since new with not a word from BMW. A well known workshop manager installed one on his K1300 and he was very happy with the improvement.
Installation is 15 min and I can assist if you are in the area. Retail price is R1180 while stocks last.

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 01:26:22 pm »
It voids the warranty surely?
One alters the fuel mix in a very crued manner by fitting this device. Fuel maps are very sensitve issues fir BMW and warranty related issues- some extensive research and dyna checking was done in the past.

Offline TheBear

• Time for a free lunch! *buuurpp*
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 08:33:28 am »
If Francois bike would moan and struggle at 140km/h and had flatspots

Janee.  Mine,  if you rip the throttle open at 140,  you had better be holding on as it takes of like a scalded rabbit.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 10:09:23 am »
It voids the warranty surely?
One alters the fuel mix in a very crued manner by fitting this device. Fuel maps are very sensitve issues fir BMW and warranty related issues- some extensive research and dyna checking was done in the past.
1. I have not had any warranty issues on two bikes serviced by BMW, and neither have there been feedback that suggests otherwise.
2. Fuel mixtures has not been optimized for the engine, but rather for EU regulations:
"Due to the stricter environmental standards (EURO-3), motorcycle engines are designed with stricter CO2 emission controls which have the side effect of adversly affecting performance. This means in practice that the fuel mixture is often 'lean' (less than ideal amount of fuel). In other words, the proportion of air versus the share of fuel is adjusted to meet emissions regulations rather than for best engine performance / power output. This ratio is in practice around 14.5:1, while a ratio of 13:1 would be a more optimal air/fuel ratio for better performance.
The results in a particularly noticeable power dip within the rev range that emissions tests are carried out within and for BMW boxer engines this phenomenon to some extent exaggerated as the combustion chambers are large compared to a 4-cylinder engine. BMW has already given some thought to this 'problem' by implementing a dual ignition system, the so called Twin-Spark, to deal with the 'lean' fuel mixture."
3. This is not a crude manner. The fuel mixture is adjusted UNDER ACCELERATION LOOP only, and adjusted to a more optimal stoichiometric mixture, with benefits to the engine.

Offline TheBear

• Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 10:12:27 am »
BMW has already given some thought to this 'problem' by implementing a dual ignition system, the so called Twin-Spark, to deal with the 'lean' fuel mixture."

Like I said, I seriously doubt that this is the reason why BMW did the twin spark thing.  The twin spark idea was purely for more efficient combustion and has been in use in some engines, long before the EURO emission rules became an issue.   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:16:32 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 10:13:04 am »
If Francois bike would moan and struggle at 140km/h and had flatspots then he is in for an engine failure which is not uncommon to the LC
It's not that the bike pulled bad, it is only that it now pulls better. Francois is quite finiki when it comes to bikes - he has had power commanders on Busa's in the past and likes his machines to run optimal.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 10:15:45 am »
BMW has already given some thought to this 'problem' by implementing a dual ignition system, the so called Twin-Spark, to deal with the 'lean' fuel mixture."

Like I said, I seriously doubt that this is the reason why BMW did the twin spark thing.
That may be partly true. On some engines (not just BMW) twin sparks were introduced to improve cleaner emissions by igniting the left over fuel before leaving the chamber.

Offline TheBear

• Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 10:18:53 am »
It's not that the bike pulled bad, it is only that it now pulls better. Francois is quite finiki when it comes to bikes - he has had power commanders on Busa's in the past and likes his machines to run optimal.

You don't have to convince me that the AM works.   My experience with my bike is that it may well make a difference at really low revs, where I find the LC a tad slow on the uptake.  Most riders never even ride in this rev range, but as a Think Bike Marshal I often find myself trundling along in a gear at 1300 - 1500 revs. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:21:06 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 01:24:27 pm »
Thanks AMZ.

BTW. We have Think Bike stickers on all our vehicles :thumleft:.

Offline TheBear

• Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 03:02:06 pm »
Thanks AMZ.

BTW. We have Think Bike stickers on all our vehicles :thumleft:.

The AM did make a notable difference on our 09's though. 

Thanks for "wearing" the stickers.  It is a reminder to the dude behind you to just check his mirrors again!
#33 #BRADICAL!