Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to stay alive on a bike  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Straatkat

How to stay alive on a bike
« on: January 24, 2015, 02:40:57 pm »
I have been wanting to start this thread for a while, hope there is not a similiar one around.
Every time I swing a leg over any of my wild ponies, I adhere to a bunch of rules, these rules were made as I almost got taken out, then I think how to avoid the situation in the future and make a new rule in my head.
If any dogs have rules they live by whilst riding, I am sure everyone would like to hear.

1/ Never, never overtake a vehicle if there is a road turning off to to the right close by, wait untill after you passed the road and then overtake. If a vehicle swerve unexpectedly to the right when you are overtaking, things will be bad for you.

2/Intersections are the most dangerous places, always reduce speed and treat as a yield if the light is green for you. Be especially cautious if there are other vehicles in or nearby the intersection, paying special attention to vehicles that are moving fast.

3/When travelling and there is a truck with a bunch of cars behind it coming  the other way, be very cautious and be ready to get off the road if one of the vehicles unexpectedly swing into your lane to overtake, head on collisions are bad news! If it happens that a vehicle pulls out, be the first to get off the tarmac, don't play chicken and then both you and the oncoming vehicle choose the berm at the last minute....

18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline >>Thump°C

Re: How to stay alive on a bike
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 03:03:20 pm »
I think there is one, but can't remember the name.
No harm in starting another till some one shares the link  :ricky:
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 04:54:31 pm »
My 10c worth:

The ability of a driver is equal to

the person's IQ                                               
 the number of wheels  X number of passengers in/on the vehicle
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 05:07:54 pm »
My golden rule is always try and create space around me. So to try and have as little in my immediate surrounds. If that means I need to speed up or slow,whatever it takes.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline T Rex

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 05:30:37 pm »
Never ride faster than you you guardian angels can fly !

Accept that you are invisible NOT invincible !

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 06:26:52 pm »
Your friend riding behind you is the greatest danger. Keep an eye on your mirrors.

The more laws you break, the less likely other road users will know what you are going to do.

If you ride more than 10% faster than the speed limit or the average speed of the other  vehicles, whichever is slower, the cagers are not stupid, you are.
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 08:35:58 pm »
I must add, that I've noticed that it seems that the indicated speed limits feels very appropriate when on a bike. It's as if its easier to exceed these in a car as they don't "feel" the same as on a bike.
So bottom line......stick to what the boards says, as that speed keeps you in control.

..my 2c

Offline boland

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 08:55:50 pm »
Mine is get of the tar a.s.a.p.

Offline MCB

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 09:13:28 pm »
Keep your lights on BRIGHT.
Wear a reflective vest.

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 06:54:46 am »
Watch for parked cars/trucks etc. on the side of the road "Potential U-Turner"
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline Jondu

• Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 07:04:01 am »
Do not get over confidant.

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 07:28:07 am »
Never pass on the left.

Stay in charge of your own safety. If you do not yield at a green light, you expect that another guy won't jump the red light and take you out. Then your safety is in his hands. Going too fast between cars, you trust the cars not to take you out. That is handing over your safety to a driver that does not worry about you. So get into a riding habit where nobody can touch you. Not even if they tried.

I concur with keeping your space. Do an emergency stop on the tar, and see how much space you need to stop. You will be shocked. 200 to zero on the race track is an easy 150m for me on the HP2 :o
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline Buffel B

• Race Dog
  • BMW R1200 GSA LC
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 07:53:40 am »
Ry binne jou eie vermoë (skills) en fokus.
Volg die Renoster-metode : "Kop-af en beur-vorentoe"

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 07:57:00 am »
1. You are invisible
2. All other road users are idiots
3. Anything can happen
4. Drive defensively
5. SPEED KILLS

...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Baas Attie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • 2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL 4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 08:28:40 am »
1]   I will not ride without my ORANGE LIGHT COVER !!! [Small investment for a lot of safety]
2]   When going between cars it is safer if they are two abreast, because they cannot change lanes.
3]   The probability of oil in the slower lane, at stop streets and traffic lights are much more likely.
4]   When stopping - teach yourself to glance in the mirror for a vehicle behind you that may not stop in time. [I must still work on this one myself]
5]   Never but never cut corners. [I make it a game to try and stay on my side of the line]
6]   Low siding is much better than high siding and the chance that you will end up making the corner any way is quite likely. Try not to stand the bike up when in trouble. Your ability can't out preform the modern tire. [This one needs training of the mind while riding or do track day's on your ADV bike. It's a lot of fun and you will be surprised how many super bike asses you will kick.
7]   Practice emergency braking.
8]   Ride ASSERTIVELY when on a bike, but not like a hooligan [which gives us bikers a bad name] Make the call and do it > get it done decisively!
9]   Remember it does not matter who's fault it is - the biker will always be the worst off. So think for others on the road.
10] When pillioning - You are responsible for another persons life. Tell them that they are in control and to indicate to you when they are not comfortable with your riding. You want  them to enjoy the ride not get of with stretched eyes.  
11] Pride yourself in the fact that when your buddy starts pushing the limits to back-off a bit to live another day.
12] Always follow the other biker of his line to buy you that extra fraction of a second. This go's for cars to.            
13] Because of my long only off-road riding the thing that helped me the most when I started riding on tar is - counter steering through the corners [steering SLIGHTLY the opposite or wrong way] to make the bike drop to the inside and make the corner by staying in your lane.
Practice this buy riding with one hand through cones to understand how it works.
14] And for the Western Cape - Harvest time - be very careful for grape juice on the road it is 'moer' slippery.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:53:08 am by Baas Attie »
RM125;  RM250;  KX125;  KX250;  KDX200;  CBX1000;  CR250;  YZ426F; Hausaberg 650sm;  Vespa 200;  CR250F;  YZ250F;  KTM250 SX-F;  WR250F;  BMW F800;  BMW X-CHALLANGE; BMW F800GS;  Vuka 110;  950SE; KTM 690 R; KTM  690 DUKE; BETA 300; KTM 990R; KTM 1190R; HUSQVARNA 350; KTM Super Duke; Husqvarna 701; KTM 350; Yamaha R6;Honda CBR150; Husky 401

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 08:45:17 am »
Some really good posts here, lots of it is real life saving tips.
Here is another few:

When passing parked cars, always leave enough room so that if some-one opens a door you will miss it.

Do a stopping test on raod and gravel at the speed you normally travel at: pass a tree or signboard and brake as hard as you can untill the bike stops completely, then get off and see how far away the  tree/ sign is when you started braking, this is the zone that if anything happens in you will crash into it, unless you have space to swerve. After this excercise you might adjust the speed you travel at.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 09:05:52 am »
Great post Attie  :thumleft:  Nice thread Bertie  :thumleft:

Lots of good points, but if I knew this  a few years ago:

Low siding is much better than high siding and the chance that you will end up making the corner any way is quite likely. Try not to stand the bike up when in trouble. Your ability can't out preform the modern tire. [This one needs training of the mined while riding or do track day's on your ADV bike. It's a lot of fun and you will be surprised how many super bike asses you will kick.

I wouldn't have spent a year learning how to walk again!

I did know it, but I didn't really KNOW it!

Panicked in a tight twisty mountain pass, let the bike stand up and was high sided into a pole  :patch:  Real beginners mistake - never ridden much tar before that.

Went on a road riding course afterwards to learn what I should have to start with! 

Still uncomfortable in high speed corners today.  Prefer to just take them slow - much to Straatkat's dismay  :biggrin:

Also agree with:

Your friend riding behind you is the greatest danger. Keep an eye on your mirrors.

Its always easy to have an accident this way in a group of mates, especially if you ride together often and maybe ride fast.  If you have to stop make sure you get out the way, and STAY OUT THE WAY until everyone has come past.  Do not assume they will all see you stop, or even be in a position to avoid you if you do!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:09:12 am by alanB »
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 10:30:17 am »
1]   I will not ride without my ORANGE LIGHT COVER !!! [Small investment for a lot of safety]
2]   When going between cars it is safer if they are two barest, because they cannot change lanes.
3]   The probability of oil in the slower lane, at stop streets and traffic lights are much more likely.
4]   When stopping - teach yourself to glance in the mirror for a vehicle behind you that may not stop in time. [I must still work on this one myself]
5]   Never but never cut corners. [I make it a game to try and stay on my side of the line]
6]   Low siding is much better than high siding and the chance that you will end up making the corner any way is quite likely. Try not to stand the bike up when in trouble. Your ability can't out preform the modern tire. [This one needs training of the mined while riding or do track day's on your ADV bike. It's a lot of fun and you will be surprised how many super bike asses you will kick.
7]   Practice emergency braking.
8]   Ride ASSERTIVELY when on a bike, but not like a hooligan [which gives us bikers a bad name] Make the call and do it > get it done decisively!
9]   Remember it does not matter who's fault it is - the biker will always be the worst off. So think for others on the road.
10] When pillowing - You are responsible for another persons life. Tell them that they are in control and to indicate to you when they are not comfortable with your riding. You want  them to enjoy the ride not get of with stretched eyes.  
11] Pride yourself in the fact that when your buddy starts pushing the limits to back-off a bit to live another day.
12] Always follow the other biker of his line to buy you that extra fraction of a second. This go's for cars to.            
13] Because of my long only off-road riding the thing that helped me the most when I started riding on tar is - counter steering through the corners [steering SLIGHTLY the opposite or wrong way] to make the bike drop to the inside and make the corner by staying in your lane.
Practice this buy riding with one hand through cones to understand how it works.
14] And for the Western Cape - Harvest time - be very careful for grape juice on the road it is 'moer' slippery.

Nice post Attie. 6/8/11 are high on my list. :thumleft:
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Online subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 10:34:33 am »
Mine is get of the tar a.s.a.p.

Best bit of advice  :thumleft:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 08:56:56 pm »
Always cover both your brakes when approaching an intersection.

Avoid the painted road markings in the rain.
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR