How to stay alive on a bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straatkat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
I have been wanting to start this thread for a while, hope there is not a similiar one around.
Every time I swing a leg over any of my wild ponies, I adhere to a bunch of rules, these rules were made as I almost got taken out, then I think how to avoid the situation in the future and make a new rule in my head.
If any dogs have rules they live by whilst riding, I am sure everyone would like to hear.

1/ Never, never overtake a vehicle if there is a road turning off to to the right close by, wait untill after you passed the road and then overtake. If a vehicle swerve unexpectedly to the right when you are overtaking, things will be bad for you.

2/Intersections are the most dangerous places, always reduce speed and treat as a yield if the light is green for you. Be especially cautious if there are other vehicles in or nearby the intersection, paying special attention to vehicles that are moving fast.

3/When travelling and there is a truck with a bunch of cars behind it coming  the other way, be very cautious and be ready to get off the road if one of the vehicles unexpectedly swing into your lane to overtake, head on collisions are bad news! If it happens that a vehicle pulls out, be the first to get off the tarmac, don't play chicken and then both you and the oncoming vehicle choose the berm at the last minute....