How to rate a d/s bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiLRoy

You said it, man. Nobody fucks with the Jesus!
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I've started with an article in which I rate and evaluate the d/s bikes in the 650 class. I'm doing it purely for fun but it can be use to help a potential buyer decide on which bike will fit him best.

Now I do realise that emotion plays a huge role in choosing a bike (and I do allow for this) but one also need so form of objective criteria for selection.

In short this is my reasoning thus far:

IMHO a d/s bike must be able to do all of the following three things (some bikes will do some of these things better than others, but a bike needs to score an acceptable score in all of these areas) - call them functions:

1. Able to handle off road terrain - more than smooth gravel but not necessarily mx and enduro kind of tracks
2. Street riding - must be able to ride the bike daily on tarmac - view this as its commuting capability
3. Touring capability - its ability to cover longer distances or run for a long period. Included in this is its ability to carry load

Now these areas can be further analysed ito suspension reach for say #1, seat comfort for #3 etc etc. One can then see that some bikes will score differently in each category eg The Suz V-Strom 650 will score high in 2 and 3 but low in 1 whereas the KTM 640 will score high in 1 but lower in 3. Bikes like the Dakar will score well in all 3 areas, but maybe not as well in 1 as the KTM etc etc

The above look at what the bike must be able to do and how well it fit these function. Next we must look at performance issues - how well do the bikes perform its functions:

1. Power
2. Torque
3. Weight
4. Economy
5. Handling
6. Reliability

Next comes Cost:
1. Price
2. Cost of ownership

Then a bunch of other stuff like:
1. Looks
2. Functions - abs, heated grips, decent lights, etc
3. Repairability - since we ride in far off place we need to be able to do basic repairs

What i intent to do is to build some form of model where given a potential buyer's stated intended use for the bike, he can derive at some more objective pointers regarding a suitable bike. The bikes can also be objectively evaluated against each other ito the right criteria as well as a suitable set of measuring techniques.

Your opinions?
Hein

PS the contenders are:
KTM 640
Honda XLV
Suz V-Strom
KLR 650
Dakar
GS 650
Yam XT 660

any others - i'm taking about current production bikes