KLE 500 exhaust mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smuggy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Quite a while ago I came across this post on Horizons Unlimited about the KLE exhaust.

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/kawasaki-tech/kle-500-exhaust-41157

So I set off in search for a KTM exhaust. As in the HU post you can see just about any four stroke single cylinder KTM exhaust will do.
After a bit of searching I was offered this off a 525 EXC from a fellow dog at a reasonable price..

Money was paid and a few days later is was in my garage..

First order of the day was to hack the old can off.. Some people say I'm good with a welder but you should see me with an angle grinder.. ;D

I had to weld a short piece of pipe onto the end of the old exhaust for the new can to clear the footpeg..

Made a hanger bracket quickly..

And job done..

Note I did not do this mod to enhance performance but purely because the old exhaust just sounds kak.
What I did note is the bike seemed to rev a bit quicker thru the gears and idled smoother. The old can weighs a ton and judging from the soot inside of it, my boet probably ran the bike on leaded fuel which clogged up the cat..
I'm not sure if the bike will need jetting yet but will ride it and see. Will also keep an eye on fuel consumption..