Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Action Video Cameras  (Read 5219 times)

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
Action Video Cameras
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:55:16 am »
Suggest a sticky on this topic . Who is using what camera? What settings? Experiences regarding battery life etc.

Ok I will kick off ... been using a Go Pro Hero 3+ and is impressive but not suited to technical riding where you may hit branches etc. I did mount it under the visor of a MX style helmet but ends up being distracting and 'in vision'. It's shape is also not aerodynamic ... to say the least and it requires the waterproof cover that makes it even more bulky. Read up on reports on the Drift options and many (if not most) bikers who had used both preferred them. As my luck would have it the Drift Stealth 2 has just been launched and is half the size of previous models and still has comparative quality. It does not have a few of the features that one never uses anyway and does not require a waterproof case for normal use - keeping it really very small and compact. Very impressive camera with wi-fi remote etc. Bought mine from Action Gear - excellent service and WD discount.

http://store.driftinnovation.com/

http://www.gizmag.com/drift-innovation-stealth-2-actioncam/34583/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:06:37 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250 XCW BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky:

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
    • View Profile
Re: Action Video Cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:04:33 am »
Very good idea this Dom I have made it a sticky as this is a hot topic at the moment.

Gaan Mal

Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Warrick

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:39:52 pm »
Over the past few years there's been countless discussions (arguments!) on the forum about which is the best camera to use so having a sticky thread is a great idea so it can all be kept in one place!

The common theme among all the discussions (arguments!) is that the GoPro and Drift are the two best for use by Wilddogs. The GoPro does have better image quality but the Drift is better designed to fit nicely on the helmet. It depends on what you are looking for.

ITO settings to use, I would suggest 60fps video rolling in the loop setting on either camera (available on the latest Drift and GoPro models) so that you can simply "highlight" the good parts for your edit later on instead of having hours of footage which take hours to edit. The 60fps setting means that you can slow down a good part to real slo-mo if you want which is awesome!

If you're more keen on photos then you can either record a video and take screen shots out of the video or set it to timelapse mode to take a pic every few seconds. You'll end up with heaps of rubbish photos but if you dig through them you'll find some in-action-photos which are otherwise impossible to get!

Offline morne950

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 03:12:23 pm »
Ek het die Hero 3+ gehad, alles was goed behalwe die battery . Op die laagste setting het ek max n uur gekry. Met my Drift Ghost S op dieselfde settings kry ek oor die 2 1/2 ure. So dit was die enigste rede dat ek die Hero Gekas het.
Ek wil net se dat die Drift Stealth 2 sover ek weet nie die battery kan swop, so as hy pap is terwyl jy ry kan jy nie net stop en gou n ander een insit. Moet eers weer gecharge word !!
Kan se dat die Drift my eerste keuse is van die 2  !!

Cheers

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 03:33:23 pm »
Yes indeed the battery issue with the Go Pro is a negative. The Drifts have far longer battery life. You are also right that the Stealth 2 has a built in battery - this has been noted in a few reviews as a possible negative but with a battery life of three and a half hours + the chances are you are going to either not need much longer, or be able to charge it when you stop for coffee or a rest or even maybe run a charge cable from the back of the unit. It really is such a neat camera. I would also note that the sound is not as good as the Go Pro but picture is great!
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250 XCW BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky:

Offline Kenzogs

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 03:42:26 pm »
I use a GoPro 3+ when I want good quality or when I have it looping so I can just record interesting events (after the time) - also the remote makes it easy to see what is happening. On the track use a GoPro 2 sometimes with an external mike connected in my helmet.

3+ has terrible battery life. 2 gives me about 2hr45min and I also bought a pack of 6 cheap batteries for it off scamtree.

At one stage I used a VIO POD which was really good except for the cord connecting the camera to the recording unit.
You can never get lost - you just reach a different destination.
Every road has to lead somewhere - even if it is a dead-end.

Offline Dare

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • You are never too old to have a happy childhood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 02:35:17 pm »
The new TomTom Bandit looks pretty cool?

Offline Rush

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 02:56:12 pm »
I use a Sony HDR-AS100. Has wifi, GPS tracker and generally record at 1080p / 60fps. Has a waterproof case and mounts flush on the side of my helmet when attached to the goggle strap. Battery time is dependent on the use of wifi ( for control of the camera through an iPhone) and the GPS tracker (to add the route to the movie) - generally 80mins with everything running. 64Gb micro SD card provides around 5hrs of recording time, therefore, necessary to carry spare batteries. Image and sound quality is excellent.

Offline Dare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 03:10:02 pm »
I use a Sony HDR-AS100. Has wifi, GPS tracker and generally record at 1080p / 60fps. Has a waterproof case and mounts flush on the side of my helmet when attached to the goggle strap. Battery time is dependent on the use of wifi ( for control of the camera through an iPhone) and the GPS tracker (to add the route to the movie) - generally 80mins with everything running. 64Gb micro SD card provides around 5hrs of recording time, therefore, necessary to carry spare batteries. Image and sound quality is excellent.

5 Hour batt life is damned good! What do they cost?

Offline LeeMichael

• Bike: BMW F800GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 03:40:27 pm »

I think you misread the post....

Offline Rush

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 03:44:27 pm »

No, you misunderstand.
Battery life - 80 mins.
64Gb micro SD card allows for 5 hrs of movie footage
Thus it is necessary to carry spare batteries if you want to record for the entire 5hrs.
I WISH the battery lasted 5hrs.
 :lol8:

Offline Dare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 03:45:30 pm »

I think you misread the post....
Ahh...indeed! Thanks. Looked at the Tom Ton Bandit and they quote 3 hours.

Offline krokonoster

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 10:41:13 am »
For those having a GoPro 4 or earlier, this is what I use : http://www.cameratek.co.za/RedE_4K_mAh_PowerBank_with_slider_mount/p3180387_14212788.aspx   
Then you running your camera forever (not sure how long, never ran out of juice)

Actually....want to ditch mine since my GoPro 3 broke, got a 5 and the input cable is different  (can still use, just don't like carry along an extra cable).

Offline Ventana

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • De Colores!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:55:04 pm »
Hope someone can point me in the right direction...I'm looking for an action camera that can connect to an external microphone using bluetooth (ie - wireless).  I've heard that the GoPro 5 and 6 are incompatible but you can use bluetooth mic's on the 4 and earlier.  Is this true?  The challenge is recording voice when you're off the bike without a helmet on....it just seems crazy that you cannot connect a bluetooth compatible external mic to a top-end GoPro. 

So what other alternatives are there.  Maybe the Sena Prism or the Garmin Virb seem to indicate that they are compatible with external mic's.....any input from those in the know????
De Colores!