NAMIBIE 4000km Solo on my way to the 2014 Nat Bash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchalkL

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I am not a very good writer (especially english) but here goes:

Trip Start 24 Sept and end 5 Oct: NAT bash Molopo (Suppose I am a bit late with my RR  ::) )
Route: Southern part of Namibie to places that was recommended by trip reports and members of this forum. Tx for everyone's input!!
Distance: 4000km (95% Gravel)
Riders: Solo trip
Bike: 1200GS fitted with quite a few protection accessories
Luggage: Trax Panniers, Vario Topbox, Bags Connection bag,
Tyres: Mitas E07 (new)
Navigation: Garmin Zumo 350, T4A Paper map
Accomodation: Camping & Chalet (depending on mood and availability)

Route.png

Day One:
Molopo Logdge, 10 days before the NAT Bash.
My trusty steed early awaits:

DSCF0558.JPG

Backup plan:
DSCF0556.JPG

Day Two:
Molopo Lodge - Haakskeenpan - Rietfontein border crossing - Karasburg - Firsh River Canyone

Hakskeenpan:

DSCF0561.JPG

DSCF0564.JPG

To Karasburg the road immediately started looking like this - Fantastic!
DSCF0569.JPG

DSCF0572.JPG

You cross a lot of dry riverbeds. A bit sad but also have a calming effect on the butterflies in my stomach thats been building up over the last few days.
DSCF0573.JPG

DSCF0574.JPG

The countryside started to change a little bit with more hils, corners and bushes. A word of WARNING! If you ever do this road you can propably do 160 on the straigts but the your chances of getting killed by a Kudu or other wildlife crossing is 50/50. I normaly like to go a bit faster than is common sense but sticked to around 100km/h on my whole trip. Funny enough it did not bother me at all to go a bit slower, I really enjoyed these roads a lot!
DSCF0577.JPG

Between Karasburg and Fishriver canyone
DSCF0583.JPG

Canyone Restaurant :- I think the owner of this is propably missing
DSCF0586.JPG

My campsite and Hobas campsite 10km from the Canyone itself. Campsite was neat and clean with a little shop but LOTS of tourists in busses and no warm water due to that.
DSCF0601.JPG

It was national braai day in SA and I did not miss out.
DSCF0608.JPG

A few pics of the Fish River Canyon
DSCF0592.JPG

DSCF0595.JPG

DSCF0596.JPG

Stopped at Ai Ais the next morning for breakfast and its a lovely place. Next time round I will definitely treat myself a bit stay here:
DSCF0609.JPG

Following is few pics of the road to Rosh Pinah. This part of the trip was one of my favourites. The surrounding and the somehow beautiful loneliness of it all is something you can't describe.
DSCF0611.JPG

DSCF0612.JPG

DSCF0614.JPG

DSCF0619.JPG

From Rosh Pinah your are forced to do 160km of tar to Aus. Pure hell, if the cops caught me on that stretch I would still be in jail.
At least a nice stopover halfway there..
DSCF0620.JPG

At last Aus. And then I realised I had to do another 100km of tar to Luderitz. I thought about skipping the town as it is a in and out stay over
DSCF0622.JPG

I suppose if you have been to Luderitz you've seen it but what a suprise. I loved this place. At the end I stayed 2 nights.
On my way the wind nearly blew me of the bike so I did not feel like camping. I found this cottage belonging to Nam wildlife, flippen nice for something like R100.

DSCF0626.JPG

The view from my cottage.
DSCF0627.JPG

And then I went to the Oyster Bar, from the outside a scruffy place at the harbour but nice inside and then the oysters, WOW. I eat oysters from time to time but not mad about it. HA, I went back 3 times to this place and even asked if they could send it fresh to SA.
E4fzbq8QdOV_XqeuNS3Lu_2JD5Q9eNlgHsnnvMI5ROU=w1109-h625-no

DSCF0634.JPG

DSCF0631.JPG

DSCF0636.JPG

Pic of boat outside bar that I thought looked cool
DSCF0639.JPG

Being surprised by the wildlife cottage, I decided to go and have a look at there campsite. Fantastic! I think you just need to pick your spot carefully to avoid the wind. Following a few pics on and from this campsite.
DSCF0642.JPG

DSCF0649.JPG

DSCF0648.JPG

DSCF0651.JPG

DSCF0652.JPG

DSCF0655.JPG

Now this is a little treasure in town. The Diaz Coffee shop. Excellent coffee and german cakes and stuff. Also free wifi.
DSCF0659.JPG

DSCF0661.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

The compulsory visit to Kolmannskuppe. They have a tour around 9:30 in the morning which is really worthwhile doing.
DSCF0662.JPG

DSCF0665.JPG

DSCF0673.JPG

DSCF0674.JPG

The station masters house. Let me tell you, they lived in style. There is even a small railway track from the station at the bottom which was used to bring lemonade and cake up to the house teatime. I love the layout of this house, all the rooms have doors leading into the next room.
DSCF0689.JPG

DSCF0692.JPG

DSCF0688.JPG

DSCF0687.JPG

Next stop was the lighthouse.
DSCF0697.JPG

DSCF0698.JPG

DSCF0695.JPG

Ok, cheers Luderitz. On my way back to Aus. Got so fedup with the tar that I did some stretches on a gravel road running parallel nex to the railway line.

DSCF0702.JPG

Breakfast at the hotel in Aus, not bad.
DSCF0703.JPG

DSCF0704.JPG

Now on my way to the famous sandy D707 towards Sesriem. This part of the trip was worrying me a bit since i was riding solo.
Well, turned out to be not so hectic. Its sandy YES, but no thick sand and if you keep the GS at around 80km/h it just cuts through it.
I passed just 1 car (Avis T Corolla) on this road, the tour busses normally take the Helmeringhausen route.

DSCF0708.JPG

DSCF0717.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

On my way to Sossusvlei I stopped at Betta. Lovely campsite. I want to build myself a lapa like this!
DSCF0732.JPG

DSCF0731.JPG

DSCF0734.JPG

DSCF0736.JPG

From here onwards the sand is gone and it turns to this grey slippery gravel. You need to ride it the same way as sand (around 80km/h) but all I could think of was that in the sand it should be a fairly soft landing, on this stuff my bike will be ruined.
DSCF0739.JPG

DSCF0740.JPG

DSCF0743.JPG

So I reached Sesriem, which is the reception for Sossusvlei for those that don't know. What a f..up! Flippen tourists everywhere you look. I wanted to come go Sossusvlei for a long time so went to reception, asked about the tour bus and the answer was: Yes sir, we have bus that takes 6 people at R300 per person but since you are the only booking you need to pay R1800. Needless to say I am not paying that to see a dried up pan with some dead trees in it. Oh, yes, when I entered the gate a 150yeard old guard stopped me and said: Onthou net, jy ga nie met daai scooter in hierie warm sand ka ry nie, jy sal vrek.
DSCF0744.JPG

BUT you have to wait for the rest, took me months to do this bit, need a day or two to put the rest together  :biggrin: