Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 690 Front left fork rebound adjusting screw  (Read 1005 times)

Offline G-Lock

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
690 Front left fork rebound adjusting screw
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:12:57 pm »
Howzit Guys, i was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of insight on a 690's front left fork rebound adjuster screw before i take her to the dealership. Im fairly new to everything bike so please excuse my ignorance on most things. i got a 690 second hand a couple of months back and decided to adjust the suspension as the front felt too stiff. In attempting to adjust the front left fork the screw just turned and turned and never came to an end point whereas the others worked out exactly as the manual stated. Is there a DIY way of fixing the problem (ordering the parts in to do at home) or is it best sending it to KTM (which takes far too long to have sorted out).

Greg

Offline Dux

Re: 690 Front left fork rebound adjusting screw
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:44:31 pm »
The plastic adjusters can break if forced slightly , ally aftermarket screws are available to replace them , alternately an original can be purchased from the agents
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline G-Lock

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:59:14 pm »
I took the screw off and checked to see if it had been stripped but it is all in good order. When i turn the plastic screw the steel counter sunk screw turns as well which leads me to believe the whole mechanism is broken. would i be able to undo the bolt holding everything in and take it out to inspect? I worry because i dont want to damage anything or have a spring fly out at me in the process. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Dux

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 04:03:31 pm »
I took the screw off and checked to see if it had been stripped but it is all in good order. When i turn the plastic screw the steel counter sunk screw turns as well which leads me to believe the whole mechanism is broken. would i be able to undo the bolt holding everything in and take it out to inspect? I worry because i dont want to damage anything or have a spring fly out at me in the process. Thanks for the reply.

One of two things , either it has stripped the bolt in which case the part is available separately , or it has pushed the screw out , then it is a matter of taking apart and re installing the threaded part correctly .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline G-Lock

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 04:59:02 pm »
Great, thanks ill have a look when i get back home. Thanks for the advice. will let you know how it goes.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:09:10 pm »
What year is it?  There are 3 versions on the 690s.  They differ ito where the comp and rebound adjusters sit.  In addition, the newer versions have rebound on 1 fork, comp on the other.  Not possible to diagnose without knowing.

Offline G-Lock

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 07:51:28 pm »
its a 2012 model. The rebound is set on top (where the handle bars sit) and the compression underneath. The aluminium nut that the adjuster sits in is very soft and I didn't want to try turn it too hard in case i damaged the whole end. the dealer that i take the bike too tends to take forever when it comes to repairs, also, if i could learn and manage to do the process myself it would be an added bonus  ;D

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:16:12 pm »
On the 2012, the rebound adjuster connects to the rebound stack's bypass needle with a thin aluminium tube.  There are a number of different possible issues:

- the top cap is not turned in far enough to engage the rod (unlikely)
- the tube is missing
- the tube was damaged when someone miss-aligned it
- the tube is miss-aligned

Easiest is to screw off the top cap and look
Either remove the handlebars or pull the fork leg and then loosen the top triple clamp bolts
The fork need to be relaxed otherwise the spring will shoot the cap across the room

Here is a sketch:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ktmtwins/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=ktmdb&a=576&b=2&c=0&d=-FRONT-FORK-DISASSEMBLED

Offline G-Lock

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 03:13:59 pm »
Hi guys, thanks for the all the advice and apologies for the late response, i just havent had the time to even look at the bike. I eventually bought a new rebound adjuster cap for the shock and fitted it quite easily. Problem solved! the bounce on the front wheel has also reduced by quite a bit when riding on the road which makes for an easier and less hairy ride. thanks again for the info.