Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ400: Identify the year model - Pic added  (Read 3547 times)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DRZ400: Identify the year model - Pic added
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:55 am »
The water has very little white  oil floating on top. Just enough oil to dirty my finger. The water tank is also rusty colour dirty.
Very little white stuff floating on top: First drain, flush and fill. See if it comes back.
Reservoir with dirty "rusty" deposits: Caused by poor or no maintenance. Drain, clean thoroughly, fill. Best way to clean a filthy reservoir is to throw in a handful of M5 nuts and a bit of Prepsol and shake until the inside is clean, then shake nuts out and rinse thoroughly.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 04:03:07 pm »
Thanks. I just did all that and checked the welchplugs under the cams. No sign of water in the oil either. Drained the oil and all looks nice an clean  with no grid on the magnetic drain plug. Now fill the water, ride and check if the oil in the water is back. If ok then put antifreeze and hope she is ready to go. Baviaans side entry is waiting for us.
 Please tell me what oil and how much it takes, and can I run on 100% antifreeze and what type ?
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2015, 08:09:16 pm »
Oil, Castrol Activo 1, 7 L and 50 50 mix good antifreez, , I had a welsh plug go, there is a Hundai welsh plug that fits the bike if it does go, also the seal behind the water pump does pack up some times, so keep an eye on it. we will also be in the Baviaans at the end of April
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:58 pm »
I took the bike for a little ride,about 25 minutes. Water looks good and I drained it again, now filled with the antifreeze added. New oil with the old filter. Now I  have to give it a good run so she can show her real colours. Busy building a tail rack for a light tailbacks.
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 11:39:27 pm »
I must check With the PE guys when the Baviaans side entry is happening , I think it's around the 6th Apr.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:58:23 pm by Skipskop »
Yamaha CV80 Beluga

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2015, 08:35:41 am »
I took the bike for a little ride,about 25 minutes. Water looks good and I drained it again, now filled with the antifreeze added. New oil with the old filter. Now I  have to give it a good run so she can show her real colours. Busy building a tail rack for a light tailbacks.

You should not run the engine on pure water at all, not even for a short time. You create a VERY aggressive environment even if you use demineralised water.
You should also not run an engine on pure ethylene glycol (unless it's designed to be run on it). The heat capacity of ethylene glycol is much lower that that of water. Combined with its higher boiling point and an unchanged coolant flow rate it will reduce the efficiency of the cooling system and allow the engine to run excessively hot without giving you the typical warning signs of an overheating engine (the coolant will not boil). The first sign of something being wrong will be a heat seizure :(

Japanese liquid cooled bike engines are supposed to run on 33% to 50% ethylene glycol mixes. Less  than 25% does not provide good corrosion protection. More than 50% see above.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 06:54:55 pm »
Got busy with the wedding machine and look what came out when I finished 😊
Yamaha CV80 Beluga

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2015, 06:59:11 pm »
Jyt talent my china!!!
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2015, 11:24:42 am »
 :thumleft: Is daar enige iemand wat 'n standaard exzhorts het wat hy wil verkoop. Ek't 'n flenter pyp saam my DRZ gekry. Die afgehaal en so free flow pyp wat ek by iemand gekry het gemaak pas, die pyp raas teveel na my sin.
Yamaha CV80 Beluga

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 11:26:13 am »
O ja, waar kan ek die wheelbearing nommers kry, iemand hier wat kan help asseblief.
Yamaha CV80 Beluga